Like A Flower

Love Is

Doo Joon grabbed Su Hyun’s hand which was stationary. In fact, her whole body was stationary on the hospital bed for a month already. Although the injuries on her face were almost disappearing, Su Hyun had not opened her eyes since a month ago. After the car accident, she fell into a coma and never woke up since.

 

It was when Doo Joon was driving her in the car and they started quarrelling because Doo Joon was fired from his job. Doo Joon punched his boss after his boss had treated the workers unfairly. Thanks to his pride and hot tempered nature, Doo Joon did not hesitate. However, Su Hyun did not approve his reckless action and they fought over it when Doo Joon was jobless.

 

As Doo Joon did not keep his eyes on the road, he missed the red light and a car knocked onto theirs. Doo Joon’s injuries were less serious but Su Hyun did not get lucky.

 

“Su Hyun, I promised you that I will let it blossom in time for Valentine’s Day.” He her delicate and soft face repeatedly, “But you’re right. I am indeed impatient. I give up easily. You were right to be angry with me.”

 

The lavender geranium that Su Hyun had always loved was well taken care of by Su Hyun from November to December. Doo Joon thought that taking care of the flower was a hassle so he gave it up and left it in Su Hyun’s care instead. Su Hyun nagged at him for breaking the promise but he did not bother.

 

Now that Su Hyun was in a coma, Doo Joon did a bad job at taking care of it. He did not know how to treat plants well. “You’re right, Su Hyun-ah. Growing flowers are indeed not easy. I overestimated myself. Most importantly, I broke the promise.” Doo Joon said and he trailed off, “I’m not a good boyfriend…”

 

He sat on the bed and whispered, “If only we could rewind back in time, I promise to treat the flower with tender love and care and make sure it will blossom right in front of your eyes.”

 

“Su Hyun-ah, tomorrow will be our very first Valentine’s Day together.”

 

It hurt when Doo Joon said it because he knew Su Hyun would probably not wake up to celebrate it with him.

 

“If miracles do happen, I wish on this Valentine’s Day tomorrow, you would open your eyes for me… and watch this flower of ours bloom beautifully. Would it be the greatest Valentine’s Day ever?” Doo Joon sniggered at his bad joke to Su Hyun.

 

Su Hyun’s eyes never moved. Doo Joon dropped his weak smile and held her hands to his lips, “If only there’s a miracle…”

 

Exhausted, Doo Joon laid his weary head on the side table while holding onto Su Hyun’s hand and fell into a deep slumber.

 

Meanwhile, the rays of the sun shone into the room. The plant was facing the sunlight that was bright and warm. As if it was happening in a quick second, the withered leaves of the geranium changed to a deep colour and turned moist. The stem of the flower straightened and the flower glowed like never before. As if time had passed quickly, the colour turned from yellowish brown to dark lavender without Doo Joon’s notice.

 

As Doo Joon shut his eyes, Su Hyun’s eyelids moved slightly and her fingers fidgeted.

 

And the, Su Hyun battled against her own will and finally saw the world for the first time. Her eyes were struggling to open for freedom and she tried to move her paralysed body for the first time. She turned to see her hand fully grabbed by Doo Joon. She tried to move her fingers to wake him up but to no avail.

 

Despite being weak, she was determined to let Doo Joon know that she was awake. “Doo… Doo Joon… Oppa…” She stuttered her words.

 

By that time, Doo Joon was drowsy but he woke up when he heard someone called his name. He blinked his eyes to find his only girlfriend staring right at him. He could not believe his eyes. He blinked twice to make sure he was not dreaming.

 

“Su Hyun-ah! Su Hyun-ah!” He cupped her face to make sure she was really awake.

 

Su Hyun gave a brief smile and blinked her eyes.

 

“Doctor! Doctor!” Doo Joon called and pressed on the button at the bed side.

 

♥ ♥ ♥

 

“It must be because of your great care towards her, Mr Yoon. She must have awakened because of your love.” The doctor commented lightly when he was checking upon Su Hyun.

 

Doo Joon blushed a little after the doctor’s words and bowed to him when he left the ward. The sun was already setting slowly since the doctor took a long time to diagnose Su Hyun. Su Hyun was predicted to be staying as a vegetable indefinitely. It was almost impossible for her to wake up. Now that she was awake, it was so much for Doo Joon to absorb what was happening.

 

Doo Joon entered the room to see Su Hyun already sitting up in her seat, waiting for Doo Joon to come towards her. Her smile was faint and she still looked the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. He sat on the bed and her face again and again. Su Hyun giggled and asked, “Why aren’t you saying anything?”

 

“I can’t believe you woke up. I can’t believe this. Am I dreaming?” Doo Joon cupped her face and hugged her tightly, “If it’s a dream, I’m never waking up.”

 

Su Hyun patted his head and whispered, “Doo Joon Oppa.”

 

He squeezed her tighter when she called his name after for such a long time. He shut his eyes, not willing to let go of her, afraid that he was just hallucinating the whole thing. “Oppa, I… I can’t breathe.” Su Hyun confessed shyly.

 

Doo Joon let go and laughed, “I’m sorry. I got too excited.”

 

“Su Hyun, it’s just a matter of hours before it’s Valentine’s Day.” Doo Joon told her cheerfully and added, “I thought I would never ever celebrate our first Valentine’s Day with you. But you actually woke up today. It’s just like a miracle, Su Hyun.”

 

 “Today’s Valentine’s Day?” She asked while her eyes widened. “Wow, I must have slept for a long time, Doo Joon Oppa.” She tried to count the number of days when she had just slipped into a coma to the current date.

 

“That doesn’t matter anymore. What matters is that you are right by my side now.” Doo Joon kissed the back of her right hand softly and leaned it against his cheek.

 

“Speaking of Valentine’s Day…” Su Hyun trailed off and the corners of her lips could not help but turned upwards naturally. She seemed to be happy about something.

 

“It reminds me of our ‘child’.” Su Hyun said.

 

Doo Joon stopped his movements momentarily. He was feeling regretful. He knew that she had found out that their potted plant of geranium had withered and could not be saved. He gulped and wanted to find a way to explain it to her, “I’m sorry, Su Hyun… for being so careless. I didn’t want it to happen…”

 

“What are you talking about? I was going to say that…” Su Hyun was confused right now.

 

“I know, Su Hyun. You were right. I was not careful enough. I had destroyed our plant in my own hands. I know you really cherish the plant and I had to…”

 

“Destroy? It’s not destroyed, Oppa.” Su Hyun interrupted.

 

“Don’t try to humour me, Su Hyun-ah.” Doo Joon looked down at the floor, feeling ashamed of himself.

 

Su Hyun took the potted plant from the side table and presented it to him, “Look, Doo Joon Oppa! Our plant has grown well. It has turned into a beautiful lavender colour! The geranium has blossomed!”

 

Doo Joon could not believe his ears. He perked up and took a close look at the plant. He grabbed the potted plant from her and turned it around many times, “It’s impossible. Just a moment ago…”

 

“You should give yourself more credit, Doo Joon Oppa. It’s beautiful and you kept your promise. The flower has blossomed just in time for Valentine’s Day.” Su Hyun touched the flower lightly and bent over to touch Doo Joon’s face.

 

Doo Joon gave out a small laughter and murmured, “It’s a miracle. Everything’s a miracle.”

 

"A miracle?" She asked.

 

A miracle.

 

He kept repeating it to himself. From Su Hyun waking up from a coma to the flower blooming when it was almost destroyed – all on the day before Valentine’s Day.

 

It was indeed a miracle.

 

Doo Joon had never believed in such things to happen but today, everything changed.

 

Without a second thought, he held onto the potted plant tightly and gave Su Hyun a embrace. Su Hyun laid her head on Doo Joon’s chest and drew a heart on his chest. “Su Hyun-ah, this is love.” Doo Joon closed his eyes and smiled.

 

“What is love?”

 

Doo Joon sighed and continued, “Love is like a flower, give it some time, patience and lots of tender loving care; and watch it bloom into something wonderful before your eyes.”