Decisions of the Heart

Guardian Angel Jonghyun

Walking into the hospital room, Jonghyun felt his heart beating in his throat as he anticipated the worst. That's when he spotted her. She looked so small and fragile lying in the hospital bed hooked up to an IV and morphine. She was pale as she lay silently on those white sheets, the only sound in the room being the beeping of the heart monitor. His eyes welled with tears once again.

 

Stepping over the threshold of the all too quiet room, he slipped into the chair beside her bed, and stared at the fragile girl lying all too still. The only sign of her being alright was the rise and fall of her chest and the heart beat echoing through the room. "Oh, Alina. Why didn't you tell me things had gotten so bad? Why wasn't I there for you when you needed me most?" His tears were evident in his voice and face. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you. I'm such a failure." Reaching a shaky hand out, Jonghyun softly brushed his finger tips against the cool skin of her fingers. Slightly higher up by her wrist and thumb was an IV tapped in place feeding her fluids to keep her hydrate, also serveing as a way for doctors to give her medication. Wrapping his fingers around her tiny hand, careful of the IV, his head dropped down as he cried. 

 

........

 

Walking into the hospital the next day, Jonghyun carries a small white stuffed cat and a vase of roses, along with a bag of food. Hospital food was good and all, but a home cooked meal (made by Kibum) was much better.

 

Making his way toward her room, he slowed his walking when he heard a familiar sobbing. Straining to hear who it was that was crying, his heart dropped at the realization that it was Alina. 

 

Rushing into the room, Jonghyun found her sitting in bed with a woman walking away. She smiled brightly at him, both of them bowing, but he was more worried about the girl in the bed. "Alina, what's wrong?" Her head shot up from the resting position it had been atop her knees, her eyes red and puffy, her round cheeks blotchy, and her cute button nose red and running. In that moment, his heart dropped and he rushed to her side. "Alina, honey, what's happened?"

 

Turning into his chest, she clung to his shirt as she spoke in a mumble of sobs. "Appa's ......d.... d....dead." Her sobs rocked through her body as he sat there in shock, holding her close as he processed what had just been told to him. Her father was gone. He was never coming back. Guilt flooded through him as a small part of him was happy. Now he would never be able to hurt her again. She was free from his abuse. However, she was now without both of her parents. "What am I gonna do, Oppa?" 

 

Jonghyun felt tears sting his eyes for her suffering, but this was something he had an answer for. "You'll come live with me." Her head shot up from his chest and she looked at him with wide eyes that showed her confusion and shock. Her cheeks were wet with tears as he reached his hands up to cup her face, his thumbs brushing away her freshly fallen tears. "As soon as they let you out, I'll help you pack your things and your coming live with me."

 

"Thank you, Jonghyun Oppa." She smiles even as her tears continued to fall, feeling comfort in his hands and in his warmth.