I'm so Curious (Jongyu)

Jjongie Month

What would it feel like? If I met eyes with you?

What would it feel like? If I held hands with you?

What would it feel like? If I kissed your lips?

I’m so curious

w/c: 1.1k

Pairing: Jongyu

friends to lovers au, This is the beginning of the shift from just friends to maybe something more.

Jinki’s fingers curled around the neck of the beer bottle almost delicately, lifting it to his lips to take a long swig. His face scrunched a little in disgust as he swallowed the almost bitter liquid before the glass bottle was placed back on the table. He leaned back, head pressed into the cushion of the old couch. He let out a long sigh before saying, “I know I keep saying this, but I can’t believe he’d cheat on me.”

“I can’t believe it either.” Jonghyun commented, “You two seemed happy.”

Jinki shrugged, gaze falling to his lap as he sadly mumbled, “At this point, I’m more questioning than angry or hurt at being cheated on. Like what about me wasn’t enough? What part of me did he not like? What was I not giving him that he felt he had to get it from someone else?”

“Jinki, there’s nothing wrong with you.” Jonghyun frowned deeply, a strong urge to physically comfort his friend bubbling in his chest. “If anything there’s something wrong with him for thinking it was okay to cheat at all.”

His frown deepened when he heard Jinki’s self-deprecating laugh. “It’s been almost two months and I’m still drinking cheap beer with my friend being a slug .” Jinki turned to look at him, a little smile on his face. “Besides, that’s the second long-term relationship in a row that’s ended in them cheating on me. Once is ty. Twice it’s because something is wrong with me.”

Jonghyun swirled his beer in his bottle for a moment before quietly saying, “You should just date me. I’d never cheat on you. You’re worth way more than that.”

Jinki froze, “What?”

With a little laugh, Jonghyun shook his hands in front of his face. “I’m kidding. It was just a joke to make you feel better.”

“You sounded really serious though.”

“And you sound really interested.”

“Maybe I am.”

“Maybe-” But then Jinki’s answer was fully processed and his brain kind of short-circuited, “Wait, what?”

Jinki stares at him for a moment before averting his eyes, bottom lip between his teeth. When he finally looked up Jonghyun was so open and vulnerable. They look at each other for what seemed like an eternity, searching their gaze for any sign of what they wanted. After a few moments Jinki softly says, “We shouldn’t.”

“We really shouldn’t,” The words rolled off his tongue so easily his lips barely moved.

“What would the others say?”

“It’d mess up the dynamic for sure.” Jonghyun comments, but his eyes are looking at Jinki’s slightly parted lips as they lean closer.

“But-”

“I really want to kiss you,” Jonghyun confesses unexpectedly, cutting him off. “I find myself curious about how it’d feel.”

His gaze flicked up to Jinki’s own, and for those few moments their entire friendship flashes through their minds before the decreasing distance between them is erased all together as their lips collide. It’s a little teeth at first, figuring each other out, but soon they were soft and wet, sliding against each other as the kisses deepened.

When they parted Jonghyun gently asked, “What does this mean?”

“We don’t have to define it just yet, I-” Jinki laughed quietly, staring at his hands for a moment, cheeks a little pink as his skin showed how shy he was. “I never thought I’d kiss you Jonghyun, but I want to kiss you more. I don’t know what this means, but I care for you deeply and really enjoyed that.”

“Do you... Like me enough to risk our friendship?” He hesitantly asked.

“Yeah,” Jinki looked so soft… happy… as he turned, right leg being brought up onto the couch, head pressed into the cushion as he gazed over at Jonghyun. “You’re important to me. Whether we become a thing or not, I’ll always care for you.”

Jonghyun reaches over to hold Jinki’s hand, smiling as he began to play with the man’s fingers. “I’ve liked you like this for a while. Thought about holding your hand and wondering how it would feel.”

“Yeah?”

“Mhmm,” Jonghyun looked up and flashed a little smile, almost shy. “For about a year or so. I was going to tell you last summer, but then you met Joon and I figured I’d only ever be a friend to you.”

“Oh…” Jinki softly caressed the back of his hand, nerves bubbling up in his stomach. This was completely new territory for him, for them. He had to be honest in that he had never thought about Jonghyun romantically for more than a few fleeting thoughts late nights much like this one, but looking at the soft edges of his face, the curve of his shy smile, he saw all the moments of their friendship leading them toward this point. They had always been close, to the point while they were all really good friends, they’d say the two of them were best friends. “You know how we’re supposed to go out to a movie with the other boys next weekend?”

“Mhmm, what about it?” Jonghyun’s nose scrunched for a moment at the question.

“How about we cancel and go on a date alone,” Jinki gave him a big, hopeful smile.

“I’d like that a lot.” After a moment he quietly confessed, “I don’t think we should tell the others we’re… trying this out.”

“I just want to focus on us, this new thing.” Jinki explained in his agreement. “They’d complicate things with their teasing and the worry we’d be messing everything up dynamic wise.”

Jonghyun bit his bottom lip shyly before mumbling, “Can we kiss more?”

“Of course.”

They were learning each other’s style, the movement of their lips, their feelings on where they liked being touched, and so many other things with each kiss they pressed against each other’s lips. They were a little awkward, working through the conflicting feelings in their chest of how they were friends, but had this new desire to kiss them and have something other than just a platonic relationship with each other. Jinki figured out that Jonghyun loved having his hair played with and tugged. Jonghyun figured out Jinki loved having his lips bit, and bruised. They rather liked kissing each other a lot, far more than either expected they would.

A movie was put on eventually, their pinkies between their almost touching knees brushed against one another until they were curling around each other. Jonghyun leaned his head slowly on Jinki’s shoulder as if unsure it would be allowed. Jinki just smiled oh so softly and laid his head gently against Jonghyun’s. Jonghyun kissed Jinki’s cheek before he left that night, and he could barely fall asleep with how light and airy he felt when he attempted. He had kissed Jinki. God, he had kissed Jinki multiple times. Once could be blamed on the alcohol if he stretched it. That.. this.. Was something more, and Jonghyun wasn’t sure if he had come to terms with that as nervous descended over him.