three

거짓말 Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Jaebum? Is that you?" He turned around to see Jennie poking her head from her bedroom door.

"Yeah."

Jennie wiped the traces of tears from her face with her sleeves quickly and padded towards him.

"Why are you here?" She stopped right in front of him and tilt her head a little. "Did anything happen?"

"You must come with me Jennie. We'll catch the earliest plane tomorrow so you better get ready now."

"W-what? Why so suddenly? Did anything happen?"

"Don't worry. It's nothing serious. Just believe in me, okay?"

Jennie look puzzled but she still nods her head reluctantly. She wrapped her arms around him and rest her head on his chest while muttering in her breath,

"Of course I do."

 

She glanced down at his hands to see that he's holding some takeout food from nearby restaurant. Jennie's lips curved into a little smile -pleased to know that Jaebum still remembers that she loves jajangmyeon made by the chef there.

"Let's eat first and you can pack later. Did you have dinner yet?"

Jennie nodded slightly, her eyes caught the movement of his hands subtly touching the gun in the holster around his waist warily.

 

As  Jaebum put down the food on the coffee table, she finally noticed that something's off about him. The tension is praticalling rolling in waves from him. His broad shoulders stiff and leaden, two pools of eyes darting at the big windows in the living room, as if searching for something -or someone outside.

"The helpers prepared dinner earlier before I dismissed them. But I'm still hungry though."

He hummed as an acknowledgement but doesn't say anything else.

 

***

 

Jaebum disappeared again in the bleak night.

"I need to go out for a moment." he said. He also told her to lock the doors and wait inside.

And so she waits. An hour turns into a few. And by three in the morning, there's still no sign of him at all. She sat on the couch and flipped through the channel mindlessly -her bag of clothes was already tucked neatly beside the shoe rack.

Sleep doesn't come to her so easily these days and her fingers start tapping at her thigh, a habit surfaced whenever she's blank. Or paranoid. She doesn't know which one is worse in this situation.

Not long after, her phone started ringing -the ringtone sounded loud and screaming at her in the silence of the house. Jennie ignored the unknown number but she couldn't deny the uneasiness that had started to crept inside her. She doesn't know why she's been worried about Jaebum more than herself.

She stared at her phone, hands trembling and slide the red button hesitantly.

But the call doesn't stop. It keeps on coming, one after another. And time ticks away slowly, a waiting game had started.

 

Suddenly someone is banging the door very hard -it rattled violently as if about to unhinged from its place. At that time, Jennie could feels that the sirens and alarms inside her head went off all at once.

Don't panic. Don't panic.

But it's not working. Her breathing turned

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter