The Pendant of Light

The Soul

The next day, I went to work with a migraine.  Alright then, we'll meet again, I shivered as the voice of that unwanted spirit echoed in my head. During lunch break, I sat in the cafeteria eating with my coworker Nurse Kim.
"Are you ok Shin Hye? You seemed out of it today" she asked worriedly.
"Can you still see spirits?" I asked.
"Uhh yes, why'd you ask? You saw something?" she asked, a glimpse of excitement sparkled in her eyes. Nurse Kim is a er for supernatural things, she claimed to have seen many spirits at the hospital and everytime she did, she would tell me which freaked me out.
"I think I did yesterday," I recalled "it's strange because, I wasn't able to see anything before."
"Well, sometimes when your body is weak, or you're having bad luck, or sometimes when you survive a serious accident, it can open your 6th sense which lets you see what you normally can't." she explained, which reminded me of that accident I had 5 years ago. But why now? Why can't I see anything before? I didn't feel like explaining to Nurse Kim, so I just shrugged it off.

"I need to tell you something" a voice suddenly whispered in my right ears which made me jump. I turned to my right and there he was, sitting there in broad daylight as if he was a normal human being. He looked anxious, whatever he needed to tell me must be pretty urgent.
"Shin Hye? You ok? It's like you just saw a ghost or something" Nurse Kim asked, sitting opposite from me. I glanced at Nurse Kim, then at Hyun Joong, but it appeared that she couldn't see this entity that was sitting next to my right.
"Do you...nevermind. I gotta use the restroom, be right back." I stood up and tossed the rest of my food into the trashcan, then scuttled to the restroom with Hyun Joong trailing behind.

"Ok what is it?" I asked after I got to the restroom, checking every stall to make sure there wasn't anyone there that would think I should belong to the psych ward.
"You need to continue on with my job," he spoke anxiously.
"What.. what do you mean?" I questioned in disbelief. Did he just say what I thought he said?
"Because of you, there are many souls wandering around when they should be crossing over. You screwed up everything!" he blamed me. "Also, I was suppose to help 1 million souls so I can cross over! and now who knows when this flashlight will return into my hand so that I can continue on with my job. I was so close and you messed everything up!" he raged.
"Well then what am I suppose to do? It's not like I want to. You were the one that left it behind!" I defended myself. I should be complaining, I thought I was the victim here.

"I didn't leave it there! It disappeared from me when I traveled! Ugh! forget it! Next time don't take whatever that's not yours!" he suddenly grabbed my hand, his hand was surprisingly solid but ice cold. "Come."

The moment he grabbed my hand, everything became blurry as if I was going through a warp tunnel. Next thing I realized, I was in an unfamiliar dark alley.
"Did I just..." I asked, completely dazed and confused.
"Yes I just teleported you, this is New York now. See that corpse right there?" I was too busy figuring out what just happened and did not notice the body of a lifeless bum lying on the floor near a dumpster. "Omo! Is he dead?! Should we call 911?!" I panicked, reaching into my pocket for a phone.
"Didn't you hear? I said corpse.  Obviously he's dead," Hyun Joong rolled his eyes and stopped me from dialing. "Now, his soul is still here in this alley. He needs to cross over, go ahead and shine that light at him. I'll tell you where since you can't see."
I gulped loudly. S..soul?! There's a g..ghost around here and I can't see it? I thought to myself, suddenly feeling cold and creeped out. I was never a fan of ghosts.
"Now, over there. Shine the light at him." Hyun Joong pointed to a spot next to the lifeless corpse.
"But I don't have the flashlight," I suddenly remember that I had left it at home.
"Sigh...There! Take it out." He pointed his finger at my neck. I looked down to find myself wearing a necklace that I've never seen before. It was a golden necklace with a pendant attached at the middle, in the shape of a crucifix that glows. I touched it with my finger, and instantly it morphed into the flashlight I'd found the other day. Unbelievable.

"Shine it now!" he commanded. I shone the light towards the direction of where he pointed and instantly, I could see the outline of a man. I wasn't able to see his face but it seemed he wasn't solid like Hyun Joong, he was invisible and he vanished a few seconds later. I was completely blown away by the power of this light.
"Ok good he's gone. We have thousands more to go," once again he grabbed my hand and we teleported to another place.

This time, we were in the middle of a beautiful meadow field and wherever we were, it was morning. As soon as we got there I felt dizzy and nearly lost my balance, but Hyun Joong caught me just in time.
"Wait," I let go of his hand. "Do I have to do this for the rest of my life?"
"Sigh...to be honest. I don't know. For me, I had a deal with 1 million. For you, there was no deal. The light just picked you to guide the souls so I don't know how long or when you have to do this. But one thing I know, soul escorts are usually those that sacrificed their lives for others. They don't get to cross over at first because it's their duty to help other souls cross over. Once they've achieved their task, they're granted direct entry to heaven where they'll become angels despite whatever sins they've done during their lifetime. It's like a one way ticket to heaven, sweet huh?" he smiled. For the first time, I'd seen him smiled. His smile radiated like the sunlight, completely genuine and loving. However, his eyes told me he yearned for comfort and companionship.

"Maybe you'd just have to do it until the day you meet someone that die for the sake of others, then the light will move on to that person and you can go back to your normal self."
I frowned, wondering when that day will come and whether what he said will come true.
"Hyun Joong, how old were you when you died..if you don't mind me asking?" I was curious.
"I was 20, it was on my birthday." he answered, looking far into the distance as if to recall a forgotten memory. His eyes were once again filled with a kind of sorrow that I could not comprehend.
"You said soul escorts were people that died from saving others, then you must..." I trailed off, wondering if I should finished my assumption and whether it will stir up any painful memories he might've had. As if he read my mind, he turned to look at me, smiled, and nodded.
 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Eek this chapter is a bit long, hope you guys don't mind. >.< I'll try my best to make the story more interesting..so please keep reading hehe. =)