Intruder

The Soul

For the rest of the night, I couldn't help but wonder who that mysterious guy was and whether he had anything to do with Mr. Wan. In order to bypass all assumptions, I decided to seek help from the receptionist at the check-in center.
"Hey Connor, can you help me with something?" I asked.
"Sure, what do you need?" he asked, looking puzzled.
"Is it possible if you could check to see who visit room 201 today?"
"Uh I guess, this better not be some personal issue Nurse Park." he eyed me suspiciously, but willingly checked his computer after I gave him the puppy eye. "Well, let's see, a total of 4 people. Two adults and two kids under 8. Pretty much his family members, why?"
"No one around 20? like do you see a guy walking in here around 7 o'clock with a flashlight? he was wearing all black and has hair swept to the side" I asked again, hoping that it was a mistake.
"Nope, I was here the whole time didn't see anyone like that. Why?" he questioned, his eyes squinted as if he was questioning a liar.
"Oh well I thought I saw someone similar to that before, must've been seeing things haha! Well, gotta get back to work thanks Connor." I lied and hurried back to work, still deep in thought about the mysterious being I had encountered.

After my shift had ended, I drove back to my apartment, and finally concluded that I must be crazy due to sleep deprivation. As I opened the door to my apartment, a shadow darted by across the kitchen and disappeared into the wall. Terrified, I flipped on the light switch only to find nothing there. I shook my head and walked towards the bathroom to have a quick shower. I must be worn out, I thought to myself. As soon as I stepped into the bathroom, a gust of wind blew into my face sending chills down my spine and then BAM! Right in front of me was the shadow of a figure. Without seeing who it was, my first reaction was to scream as loud as I could possibly scream, only to find that nothing came out of my mouth. No sound, not even a whimper. What is going on?! I began to panic and decided to run, but my legs were stuck in its position, unable to move an inch. My next move was to flip on the light switch, but nothing light up. I'm so dead this time, I cried to myself.

"Give me back my item," it demanded after a few seconds of dead silence, I could hear that it was the voice of a man.
"What are you talking about? What item?" I whimpered. I could hear a low growl coming from the dark figure, and braced myself for the worst. This is it, goodbye Ohma, Appa! I shut my eyes real tight and waited for the final blow. Suddenly, the room felt incredibly bright, as if someone had the lights. I slowly opened my eyes and indeed the lights were . The figure in front of me was now a couple of feet away from me near the bath tub, and it was none other than the mysterious guy I'd encountered at the hospital.

"YOU!" I gasped. So many questions filled my head that I didn't know where to start. He rolled his eyes, as if to say I was overreacting. "How did you get in here? How did you know where I live? Did you stalk me?! What do you want? Get out before I call the police!"
"Ok wait, I have no idea how you even saw me in the first place. You're not suppose to, this must be some sort of mistake," he spoke in an agitated tone of voice while looking at my bewildered expression. "Listen, this is starting to annoy me. First of all, I did not stalk you here, I didn't have to and I have no intention either. You have something that belongs to me and so if you could just give it back to me I'll be off on my way and we can just pretend you never saw me. Deal?"

"Huh?" I really have no clue what he was talking about, the only thing in my mind was to get the hell out of here and that this guy must be a psycho.
"The flashlight you found at the hospital. Give it back." He sounded more impatient than ever.
"Oh that!" I suddenly remembered about the flashlight I found and ran to get my purse in the living room.
I grabbed the flashlight, which was giving off a strange glow from within my purse and grabbed my cell phone along with it. I looked back to see where the guy was and found that he wasn't behind me, so I quickly dialed 911. Just to be safe, I don't want my ity and life taken away just like that!
"The number you dialed is not in service. However, please give the flashlight back to its rightful owner or he will burn your house down." the phone responded from the other end. Shocked, I dropped the phone out of my hand and suddenly, the guy was right in front of my face once again. It was as if he had teleportation. I felt my legs weakened and collapsed onto the carpet floor, terrified. This must be a dream, I hoped.
"What...what are you?" I gasped.
"Something you're not suppose to see, now give me back my flashlight." he pointed at the flashlight and extended his right hand.
I used up all my energy to place the flashlight onto the palm of his hand, and let go. However, I didn't expect it to pass right through his hand and onto the carpet floor. "What's going on?" I asked, shocked once again.
He bent down to pick it up but was unable to lift it, his hand just passed right through as if he had turned invisible. "!" he cursed, looking just as bewildered as I was.
"Man! I can't believe I left it there. Normally I wouldn't leave it behind when I travel, and even if I did no one would pick it up anyway because they're not suppose to see this flashlight. But you!" he glared at me, his eyes burning with rage. Those brown eyes against his pale complexion stared deep into my soul and filled it with immense sorrow, something I have never felt in my entire life. Instantly, I was overwhelmed with such intense emotion that tears formed in my eyes and fell down my cheeks. It was a strange feeling.
"Ok, since we're in this together now, even though I'm not suppose to but I might as well explain." He sighed and calmed down after noticing my tears. "As you can obviously see I'm not human, well, not anymore. I'm just a spirit. I'm, I guess you can say, I'm a soul and I was given this task by Him. I help those that died to move on and cross over to the other side into heaven. And this flashlight here is their source of light, I shine this so they can see and go into it. It's what people usually say 'go towards the light'. They can't see me, they can only see the light. Anyway, I don't know why this flashlight won't let me pick it up, it's never done that before. Somehow, it only lets you pick it up now and no human being can possibly see me or this flashlight. So, are you confused yet?"

I slowly shooked my head, trying to comprehend everything that he had explained to me. It seemed very bizarre, but all the shenanigans I'd experienced tonight was enough to convince me.
"Um, what is your name?" I finally mustered up the courage to ask.
"Heh, I thought you were gonna ask me something related to what I just explained. But you asked me for my name instead" he chuckled. "When I was alive, they called me Kim Hyun Joong. Anything else?"
I shooked my head again, by now I was feeling very lightheaded and exhausted.
"Alright then, we'll meet again." In the blink of an eye, he vanished, and I was left sitting there on the floor wondering if this was just a nightmare all along.