Traveling

The Soul

“So, let's say if there were a lot of people who sacrificed their lives for others, wouldn’t they all qualify to be a soul ?” I asked after pondering for a minute. There were things I couldn’t understand.

“True, but not everyone gets to be one. I don’t exactly understand it myself. I just know I was chosen by Him and so it’s my duty to guide those souls. ” He shrugged.

“By Him? And what about this light? I thought it was the one that picked you. And since there are so many people dying everyday, how do you manage your time?” I asked, touching the pendant on my neck.

“He is the light, the light is Him. The light represents Him. And don’t forget, I’m able to travel to several locations in the blink of an eye, plus I don’t need to eat, sleep nor rest, remember? Also, sometimes when someone dies, they're not ready to cross over yet. I only come to those that are ready to move on.” He looked up at the early morning sky and closed his eyes, as if to say a little prayer.  He opened his eyes again and looked at me. “Anything else?”

“Um, about your 1 million deal, I…” I hesitated, feeling bad and scared at the same time that it might angered him again since he blamed me for the mishap.

“Forget it. You asked too much let’s go.” His mood turned sour as he walked away. I suddenly notice our surroundings and quickly ran after him. “Hey! Wh..where are we?”

“Obviously not Korean town LA anymore, we’re in Switzerland fyi.” He replied as we came to a small hut not far from where we arrived. 
“Wait..we should knock…” I stopped him after seeing him reaching for the doorknob.
“Why bother?” Instantly he grabbed my hand and we were teleported inside the house.  It reeked of decaying corpse and I nearly choked. “They’re dead.” He said, ignoring my shocked reaction.  I followed him into a small room with my shirt over my nose. The stench was unbearable. Inside the room was a small bed and on it laid two rotting corpses. “Right there, do it now so we can get out of here before you suffocate.” I touched the pendant, which transformed into a flashlight in my hand, and shone the light at the rocking chair next to the bed where he pointed. I saw an outline of an old woman sitting on the chair, along with an outline of an old man standing with his hand on her shoulder. It appeared that an elderly couple had died here not too long ago.

“Should we..give them a proper burial at least?” I looked at the embracing corpses on the bed.

“No, it’s not your business. Let’s go.” He grabbed my hand once again and we teleported to another zone somewhere in the world. After what seemed like several hours, we finally teleported to my apartment in LA. It was 3 am in the morning and I was dead tired.
“That’s it for today, get some rest. Being human is so annoying.” He mocked and disappeared once again from my sight.

I woke up to the sound of my alarm clock, which was set at 7 am. I hit the snooze button and drifted off into dream land instantly. Moments later, somehow, I could feel someone up against my face, staring intensely at me.  I suddenly opened my eyes and was surprised to see Hyun Joong’s face inches away from mine, he was sitting on top of me. However, I didn't scream this time. Our eyes locked for quite some times and during those times, I was able to examine him closer than ever. His lips were red much to my surprise since he was nothing but a spirit and his nose bridge was high and well defined, just like his jaw line. He was actually very charming. Even though Hyun Joong was a spirit, he was as real and solid as any man could get. I never had a man this close to me before, let alone on top of me.

“Ya! What are you doing?!” I yelled several seconds later, feeling both surprised and shy because he was so close. My face felt hot, could I be blushing?
“It’s now 7:30. You have work don’t you?” He reminded me as he showed me the time on my clock.
“Crap!” I sprinted out of bed and got ready within 10 minutes.
“Hey uhh Hyun Joong, since you can teleport, can you…?” I gave him the puppy eyes.

“Not a chance.” He cut me off before I could request for transportation help and vanished once again. Guess puppy eyes don’t work on ghosts.