Potential Soulmate

The Soul

At work, I couldn’t concentrate due to my sleep deprivation. If this keeps up, I might become one of those souls that I helped to cross over.
“Omo! You looked terrible what happened? And you suddenly disappeared from work yesterday without a call, where did you go?” Nurse Kim asked.
“Uh, I got sick so I left early.” I lied, touching my pendant. I wonder if Nurse Kim can see my pendant so I decided to ask, “Eun Jung –ssi, do you like this?” I pointed to the necklace that was chained around my neck.
“Like what?” She asked, looking puzzled and closely examining the spot on my neck where my finger was pointing. “Am I suppose to see a hidden hickey somewhere?”
“No! Um, nevermind,” I quickly brushed the subject off. I guess no one can see the pendant but me and Hyun Joong.
Nurse Kim wasn’t too convinced, but good thing she ignored my lie and didn’t question any further. “Anyway, a patient was admitted to the hospital yesterday. He had an asthma attack but he was fine now. I was the one in charge of him yesterday and let me tell you, he is so handsome! You won’t believe me if I say this but he’s Kim Jae Joong, the author of that popular book ‘My Brother’! I’m gonna ask for his autograph later.” I zoned out as Nurse Kim went on and on about how handsome the patient was. Guys were the last thing on my mind right now, and yet, the image of Hyun Joong on top of me this morning couldn’t escape my mind. I shook my head to erase the image.

“Nurse Park, you’re in charge of Mr. Kim room 211 for the evening shift.  And try not to ditch work again today please.” Nurse Lee asked later that day.
“Understood. It won’t happen again” I promised, hoping that somehow Hyun Joong won’t appear and warp me off to a different country again.

I walked to room 211 and knocked. “Come in” said a soft voice. I opened the door to see a man sitting on his bed reading a book. He had dark blonde medium length hair swept to the side, and his facial features were as delicate as a porcelain doll, yet he still seemed very masculine and it went well with his fair complexion. He reminded me of someone I knew. He was indeed the author of that famous book I’d read a couple years ago and he was no doubt, very handsome.  He put down his book and looked at me as I walked in, making me nervous.
“H..hi Mr. Kim. My name is Park Shin Hye and I’ll be your girl..ah I mean your nurse today. If you need any help let me know,” I stuttered, feeling blood rushing up my face as I stumbled over words. How embarrassing that I’d said such things! “Sorry,” I muttered.
“Haha that’s ok. Thanks,” he laughed, probably amused at my gibberish and red face. “Do you know if I’ll be able to leave the hospital tonight?” he asked.

“I’m sorry I’m not sure, it depends on your health and the doctor’s decision,” I replied, looking at his health history.

“Right,” he agreed. I felt his eyes gazing at me as I studied his health history and monitored his vitals. Slightly blushing, I looked at him and our eyes met, but we quickly looked away. Awkward silence filled the room.

“Um, so are you feeling ok now?” I finally broke the silence.

“Yes I’m ok now, thank you. I get this often,” he smiled. “I’ve always been cursed with this asthma since I was young so I’m used to it.”

“I’m sorry,” I said, feeling apologetic as I looked at his pale skin. “You’re a good author you know, I love your stories” I comforted.

“Thanks again, that made my day.” His face lit up as he smiled, he looked very kind.
“Well then I’ll be off, if you need anything just push that button.” I said as I started heading out.
“Hey Shin Hye-ssi?” He suddenly called out.
“Yea?” I stopped and turned around, once again our eyes met.
“When I leave this place, would you like to get coffee and dinner sometimes?” A date? Did I just get asked out by this gorgeous being? I thought, feeling slightly smug.
“Sure.” I accepted the offer, feeling hot in the face again as I could feel my heart beating extremely fast. “Bye for now.” I quickly scuttled out of the room, closing the door behind me and trying to conceal the excitement that was ready to burst from within me.

My shift ended for the day and I drove home, feeling content and forgetting about the exhaustion. Despite me being 23 years old, I’ve always thought I was old and always wanted to find a nice guy to fall in love with and have a family.  Maybe this will be my future husband, I fantasized, smiling to myself as I drove.

“You sure daydream a lot,” a voice suddenly spoke, which startled me and made me swerved slightly. I glanced over to my right and saw Hyun Joong sitting in the passenger’s seat.
“God! Stop it! Why do you always do that?” I complained.
“We have business to do tonight,” he smirked. “You’re lucky I didn’t show up at the hospital today, otherwise you would’ve missed your chance with him.”

“What chance?” I blushed.
“A date with your future husband,” he teased again.
“You, you read my mind?! And you’ve been stalking me?” I was shocked that all this time I didn’t know he was telepathic, so all the thoughts in my mind must’ve been easy for him to read.
“Relax, I’m not stalking you, you have my light so of course I’m always nearby. And it’s not like I want to read your mind anyway. Thank God it’s only your mind I’m able to read and not others,” he rolled his eyes.

“Ya! Get out of my mind!” I reached over to slap him and he vanished. When will he ever stop appearing and disappearing without telling me? I sighed.