Frightful Night

The Soul

I pulled into the parking lot and parked my car. I walked up to my apartment and reached for the key in my purse, but it was nowhere to be found.  What the hell? I thought as I frantically searched for the key. I walked back to my car and opened the door, bending down to search for the key that was possibly dropped somewhere underneath the seat. Nearby, I could hear footsteps walking in the parking lot. It sounded like someone was approaching. I got up and looked around but saw no one. It’s a bit creepy in this neighborhood at night, I shuddered.  I continued to search for my apartment key, feeling my way through the small openings in between the car seats hoping to find something. Suddenly, I felt a hand grabbed me from behind, locking both my hands underneath a massive arm, while another hand cupped my mouth, preventing me from screaming. It was such a strong force that I couldn’t turn my body around to see who it was. The attacker pushed me and I fell on the seat inside my car. He grabbed both my arms and swung them behind my back, locking them in a handcuff. I managed to let out a small scream while his hands were busy handcuffing me, but was stopped short. I silently prayed for mercy as I felt the attacker roughly pulled my pants down and got on top of me, feeling his way around. I continued to struggle and flail wildly hoping to shake him off me, but it felt like he was 3 times my size and as much as I tried, it was to no avail. This is it, this is the end of me, I thought helplessly as tears streamed down my cheeks.  

As if God heard my prayers, the weight on my back was suddenly lifted, and I heard a loud thud that sounded like something heavy had just landed on the ground. I found my strength back as I turned around to look. I was terrified to see that the attacker was levitating off of the ground against his will, like he was being lifted by an unseen force. His mouth was opened as if to scream, but no sound came out. His eyes were horrified. He was spun around and around in the air, and was lifted up and down helplessly. Then, he was turned upside down and as if released from the force, he landed face first with a thud on the hard ground. The attacker was dazed for a second, his face was soaked in blood from his broken nose. He quickly got up to his feet and turned to look at me, a look of extreme fright masked his face as he disappeared into the dark. I sat in my car, pantless, stunned and terrified, not knowing what just happened.

“Scums like that shouldn’t be allowed to live, sooner or later the darkness will find him.” I jumped as I heard Hyun Joong’s voice next to me on the passenger seat. The handcuff somehow opened itself, freeing both my hands. I suddenly realized I was half , and turned away from him to put my pants back on. For the first time, I was glad to see Hyun Joong.

“Thank you.” I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him tight, bawling my eyes out. He patted my back and comforted me. Even though he was nothing but a spirit, he felt very real and warm.
“You have to be more careful. What would you do if I wasn’t there?” He sighed. “I know this is not the right time, but I need your help again.”
I seized my cry and let go of him, I knew I’d have to continue on with what I’ve set out to do if I ever want to be normal again. I wiped the tears off my eyes and nodded. Hyun Joong grabbed my hand and everything around me became a blur.

As soon as everything was in focus again, I found myself in a dimmed warehouse. A strong blood odor filled the atmosphere as we walked deeper into the warehouse. I looked around and noticed blood stains on the floor. I stepped on something hard and looked down, only to find myself stepping on a severed human hand. I let out a small scream as I jumped next to Hyun Joong, who appeared solemn. As we continued walking, I saw several bodies on the floor along with some guns and knives. Some of them were brutally murdered, with their limbs severed from their bodies, another one was decapitated. I gasped in disbelief.

“What happened here?” I covered my mouth with one hand, feeling nauseated.
“Gang fight,” Hyun Joong looked around as if to scan for something. “C’mon, over here.”
I quickly followed him, stepping over several bodies. “There!” Hyun Joong suddenly pointed.
I grabbed my pendant which transformed into a flashlight on my hand, and shone in the direction of where Hyun Joong pointed. I saw several souls wandering towards the light, and quickly vanished.
“Missed one, over there.” Hyun Joong pointed to a different direction, and I quickly shone my light towards it. The soul slowly walked towards the light. He paused for a bit, and then continued walking. Suddenly, he began to struggle as if he couldn’t move forward, and was suddenly pulled backward by an invisible force. Instantly, the atmosphere switched from neutral to terrifying, like a sunny sky that was suddenly filled with dark ominous clouds.
I saw several dark shadows appeared from different directions. Whatever they were, they were definitely evil.

“What’s happening?” I looked at Hyun Joong, whose face was grimmed and pale.
“What the are they doing here? They’re not supposed to be here. This is not right.” Hyun Joong’s eyes moved from one shadow to another, mumbling to himself.
“ turn it off! Let’s get out of here!” He grabbed my hand and pulled me away from the shadows, which were now all over the soul they’d pulled back from the light earlier. The helpless soul let out a terrifying screech as he was completely consumed by the shadows and finally disappeared.

“Mine.” I heard them whispered in my ears, sending chills down my spine. All of a sudden, I felt my hand disengaged from Hyun Joong’s and my body lifted off from the ground. I looked at Hyun Joong helplessly, who stood frozen in place surrounded by several shadows.
“Hyun Joong! Help me!” I screamed.
“I, I can’t move!” Hyun Joong struggled. The shadows moved onto him and pinned him down to the ground. I struggled as well, trying to get back down but couldn’t control my body. Then, I felt myself being pushed backward and slammed against a wall. Immense sharp pain jabbed my back and head as everything started to become blurry once again. And then, my surrounding became total darkness.