Can we be friends?

Is this love?

Daniel lay down on his hotel bed. He's all alone as Seongwoo went out with Minhyun and Sungwoon to the hotel bar. The three of them are heavy drinker so he won't expect them back. At first he wanted to join them but he's too tired. He need sleep.

Laying down listening to one of these nights by Red velvet  His favorite lullaby.

Thinking hard what he should do with his feelings. He's not sure if he want to be in a relationship in his peak.

He remembers the last relationship or maybe the last time he talk with a woman was years ago. Before he decided to move Seoul. After debuting he only concentrate on his schedule, dancing, singing, rapping and his fans. The fans who voted for him,he doesn't want to disappoint them so he decided to reject a few offer from woman, actresses and idols. 

But she's different, she make him happy. She make him wanting to be love from a woman he love.

He didn't tell about his feelings for her. All of them know Daniel is only a fan of her. Same like the other boys. They are only fan. 

He always text Minho and ask for advice, about rap and songs. Minho once told him, his relationship has too many up and down, sometimes they argue about small matters. Their company actually demand them to break up, they broke up a few times but they eventually come back together. They try to date around but both of them still miss one another so they decided to date secretly, even the red velvet members didn't know they are back together. Winner member caught them at their dorm and Minho pleads to keep this as a secret. But Irene was tired of their relationship so they decided to become friends with benefit. No string attached 

Listening to their love story makes him scared, what if they grow tired of each other and what if they fall apart. He don't want to date around like when he's in teen. He's only looking at a real relationship maybe till marriage. He also not sure if she is the one for him.

Two weeks has passed, It's time for music awards, the manager told them they will definitely won the rookie awards. Since they are strong contender. They practice hard for their performance. He's excited to meet her, but he need to control his facial expression, he saw a video of him glancing at her. At first he's happy that they are some fans that are actually ships her with him. He's not sure if she saw that video cause once he search her name, their video pop out. The members saw the video too and keep teasing him.

"Hyung remember not to smile when you saw her and don't keep glancing at her." Jihoon tease me.

Daniel can only laugh bitterly. He wish to look at her from far but they boys decide to put him away from her direction. 

When Red Velvet walk past their table, he can only greet and smile at them. He saw her prettily tye up her hair, she look like a goddess. He didn't manage to see her at backstage during rehearsal, fate is not helping him to meet her. He can only watch her from screen monitor at backstage. 

The presenter was talking about Joy and he can only see it from screen. He smile bitterly when the actor say cheesy word to her. He was pissed off. The member saw his reaction and decided to . He was having a bad day. He saw her ex husband, well fake husband, he felt anger boiling when he saw her talking to him when he went to toilet. He try to stay calm and Jisung reassured him they are only friends and ask him not to think about it. He need to concentrate on performing and meeting the fans.

Wanna One members were getting ready for their performance at backstage. 

Daniel confuse with his feelings. He have thinking and telling himself that this is not the right time but one can't control his feelings. He hates himself for having feelings for her.

"Hello Daniel, are you sick? You look pale and tired." someone ask him, its her. He knows her voice.

"Oh Joy-shi, no i am not sick, tired of schedules only and maybe the make up." Daniel reply to her coldly.

Daniel decided to speak politely to her. He need to stay on his line, as a hoobae. He don't want to confuse again with his feelings.

Joy felt the coldness in his voice. She thought they are close after talking a few times. They usually like to tease one another but today she can sense his cold. 

The members were talking to each other. Red Velvet and Wanna One are waiting for their stage. She decided to talk to him, who were standing alone but he didn't expect him to give her cold shoulders. She felt hurt her question where answer shortly. He didn't even look at her.

She just look down and stood beside him. 

Joy is a big fan of Daniel. She actually like to look at his face. His cute face actually cheer her up but her ego tell her otherwise. The way he laugh makes her happy but today is different. She knew something were wrong with him when he saw him from far standing alone. She saw his pale face and tired looking eyes. 

Joy thought maybe she can help him but she regret. She should have just see him from far like usual. 

Minhyun and Jihoon who were standing not that far from them can see their awkwardness. 

"What happen to Daniel hyung, she's there but he's ignoring her." Jihoon whisper to MInhyun.

Minhyun who saw Daniel expression knew what were him thinking.

"I am not sure, maybe he's nervous for stage later." Minhyun told Jihoon.

Minhyun try to change topic and luckily Jihoon stop questioning. Minhyun pity Daniel. He know Daniel in on dilemma. He felt that before. He hopes Daniel open up to him, he look burden and confuse. Minhyun wanted to ask Daniel but he knew Daniel won't tell the true story of his dilemma. Knowing Daniel for sometimes, he know this will be hard for him.

Joy felt hurt, Daniel never look at her once. She should not be here. She decided to walk away but Daniel suddenly hold her hand.

"Stay here with me Sooyoung. Stay beside me." Daniel said in soft voice. He knew she was upset with him, he was actually upset with himself. He was selfish but for this time, now only now he wanted her to stay beside him.

Joy was actually shocked, but she heard him. She is not sure know why she didn't walk away and letting him hold her hand. She usually don't let other man hold her hand but this time is different. She stay beside him maybe he need support and encouragement.

Daniel didn't let go of her hand. He's confuse with his feelings.

Joy heart feel like going to burst when Daniel told her to stay by his side, no one ever make her felt like this. The way he hold her hand, his cologne and his voice. It send shivers to her. 

She brush her thoughts away. Stay calm as possible.

"Sooyoung let's be friends." Daniel told her.

She thought they are friends, she look at him with questioning look.

"I know we are friends but not this type of friends, i want a friend that i can text and speak to. Not just friends when we see one another at backstage" Daniel said while looking at her in awe.

She stare and him. Too many thoughts were running at her head. She want to be his friend but more than a friend. Will he run away from her when knowing her real self. A lot of people who knew her true self, left her and avoid her. Only some were true to her. Some took advantage of her. She's scared what if Daniel know her true feelings. He just want to be friends with her. Her heart is not helping her. 

"I am not sure..."Joy said.

Joy try to avoid looking at his eyes. 

"It's okay, then let's stay as Daniel and Joy then." Daniel said. Hint of disappointment. Daniel saw her expression.

"I think I need to go to my members now and fighting for your performance, Sunbae" Daniel said.

Daniel walk away. He want her to be his friend. His real friend, not as Daniel and Joy but as Kang Eui Geon and Park Sooyoung. Maybe he hopes too much, but he need assurance. He really want to be her friend, that cheer up when she's upset. To be there for her when she need him. Even tough as friends. He want to know more about her. 

He stood beside Minhyun and pretend to join the other member conversation. He knew she's still standing there but he don't want to look at her. He realize he lost his chance. His mouth. He hate himself but he felt jealous whenever other guys talk to her. He didnt know he felt like this. Stupid feelings. 

What he didn't know. Joy was confuse. She know his feelings for her but she's still not sure of her feelings. 

Maybe she should have accept him to be her friend. 

"Stanby Red Velvet!" One of the staff shouted. Joy quickly ran towards the stage with her members.

She try to enjoy the stage but something was missing. She kept thinking about him. Why is she hurt when he walk away. 

Daniel and his other members waiting for their turn to perform after Red Velvet. He stood far looking at her performing. He saw how good she's dancing and giving fan service to her fans. 

'I lost my chance.' Daniel whisper to himself.

"Daniel trust in fate and destiny, Chase your dream and go with flow" Minhyun said while patting his back

Daniel glad Minhyun were there for him. His advise usually the wiser. Daniel can only nod his head and mouth thank you to Minhyun.

After the award ceremonies, he saw her laughing and talking to other artists. He also pretend to be fine playing with s. He don't want to look hurt. 

Walking towards Wanna One dressing room with other members. Daniel saw her standing out her dressing room. Red Velvet room was right in front of Wanna One dressing room. He saw her at the corner of his eyes. 

"Daniel, can i speak to you for awhile?" Joy asked Daniel. 

Daniel saw her holding a can drink and looking at him with pleading eyes. How can he stop his feeling for her. She keep playing with his heart.

"Yes Sunbae, sure." Daniel replied. Daniel ask s to go inside first. He look at her and wait for her to say first.

"This is for you and look below it first okay. I will be waiting." Joy said and gave Daniel the can drink. She quickly went inside his dressing room and close the door.

He was shocked, he look down to the can drink and found stick notes paste with written numbers below it.

He smiled and keep the notes inside his pocket. 

 

After finishing his schedule for the day, he lie down on his bed, he key the numbers inside his phone and save it.

He's been wanting to text her when he got her number but he was busy with interviews. It's 1 in the morning, he has been debating to text her, he's scared he will disturb his sleep so he decide to text her in the morning. He close his eyes, he can't wait to text her good morning text. The one he's been wanting to do. A good Morning text.

But what he didn't know, Joy were not asleep and have been waiting for his text since reaching home. She question herself if her choice is correct. She decide to be friends with him. She want to test him if she's the same with other man but she actually hope he's different. She nervously wait holding her phone, a lot of things play on her mind, maybe he lost his number, maybe he's busy, or maybe he forgot about her.

She sigh and eventually fall asleep while holding her phone.

 

*Flashback to last 2 weeks

Joy and Daniel were teasing Jihoon. Joy and Daniel were a great duo. Both are playful and childish. They are not maknae but pretend to be one. Daniel and Joy became close. They were at backstage waiting for the show to start and both of them can't stop talking. Talking about Variety shows and drama. 

"Yah Daniel, Do you think i can't act. Just wait and see your act." Joy shouted at Daniel.

Daniel was teasing her about her last drama. She was upset with him but she can't stay upset with him. He keep making faces to her and .

Daniel is nice and always take care of his hyung and dongsaeng. Even though he's more popular, he never discriminate them. That whats make Joy prefer talking to him. They have met up for a few times at backstage and they just click. 

But she never gave her number to him and vise versa. Not like other man who talk to her just for his number. 

And some even past her notes telling her, she's pretty, I like you, This is my number ..., can i have your number and more. She don't really like to give out her number. She didn't even gave her real number to some of her friends. She don't want to get hurt.

Daniel is different. He makes her happy and she keep thinking about him. She know its wrong to have feelings for him.

Joy loves when he laugh at her lame jokes. When he gave her eye smile. When he . He likes everything about him.

She want their friendship to stay like this not more or less. She's scared if she wanted more from him.

Daniel was happy when Joy and him click well. It makes him thinking to be wanting more but theres a barrier, he hope can crush down the barrier soon.

 

*I just gave a bit flashback how they became close.*

 

Thank you for the comments and subscribe. I remember writing this for fun and actually for myself. I keep thinking about scenarios in my head and decide to write one. I am not sure how many chapters i am going to write. 

Next chapter will be starting of their friendship!!! 

 

just some thought: i am in love with wanna one and i don't them to disband. sigh i hope time fly slowly. i hope to meet them soon.