Purple Hyacinth

Hellbringers

 

 

Luhan’s eyes might be distant, but they contained a rare amount of marvel as he stared ahead. He had rejected one A-class mission with a good amount of money in France (only a distance away), but as someone who was never short of anything, he did not dwell too much into it and focused on the training instead. Luhan was never an outdoor person: he hated long flights, cold temperature, and the smell of salty water. He preferred to stay indoor, with people he knew well with whom he could have meaningful conversations.

“I have to say I’m quite surprised,” And impressed, he wanted to add as he spoke in-between breath as he jogged beside me, “That you haven’t complained at all during our training.” Seven days, he counted. We had trained all morning and evening, leaving the noon for breather, taking up to nine hours a day. I shot him a smile, panting still after running about one-tenth of the training arena. It’s my first day here, and since it’s close to bedtime, not many people are around. “Well, were you expecting me to disagree with your training methods after all that help you have given me?”

The twinkle in his eyes brightened, as if his eyes alone could hold up the entire sky in them. I bit back the smile and looked forward to continue jogging for another round. The arena was spacious, the size of two football stadiums combined into one. And the ceiling was decorated with stars and dark midnight sky that looked real and alive – except that everything was artificial. Half of the arena looked like a park and the rest of it a forest. It was apparent that the Union had made sure to spend all the money in the world to build this advanced, secluded research institution with fancy facilities in an undisclosed location. 

“Someone told me you’d quit on the first week,” He said with humour in his voice. “We made a bet and I’m going to win some cash thanks to you.”

I’m not sure if I should feel honoured or horrified, so I decided to ask in good-faith, “You bet in my favour?” as if it was the most wondrous thing I had heard in a while. It felt a bit weird to have someone putting in that much trust in me – the good kind of weird, like Luhan was perhaps born to another species who should not have come to existence. But then again, Sehun was nice like that, too, and even Suho and Lay. They had been kind enough to do things for me without asking for anything in return, and quite frankly, it’s freaking me out.

“Of course, why would I bet against you?” He smiled good-naturedly as if he didn’t understand how anyone would want to do otherwise. Although Luhan was usually very tender towards the fairer gender, his understanding regarding females was very limited. After all, growing up in a harsh, small city in Northern China had taught him little about life but survival. In a family of twelve children – ten males and two girls, Luhan was the middle child – the extra one that his parents never needed because of the excess of boys in the family. He was even considered for adoption had it not been for a famous monk in their local temple who foretold a great destiny to befall upon this very child. He spent fifteen years in the town, running around to work for an extra bowl of rice after the birth of the long-awaited daughters.

Luhan’s father was a menial worker in the town’s largest clothing manufacturer. Larger business meant more workers and smaller salary, and the only consolation it brought to the family was the reputation of the workplace and the hope that someday, their children would do better and feed them better food and gave them better clothes. Luhan’s mother was a seamstress, but her work was often unfinished because she had twelve children to take care of and no one else to help. They were both uneducated, so they only saved up enough for their children to finish primary or secondary school before they had to find a job to support themselves. As the middle child that nobody wanted, he was ignored and abandoned, sometimes starved during winter and sick during summer with no one to care for him. At the age of sixteen, he joined the Union after an incidental encounter that changed the course of his life forever.

“Well, just so you know, you’re the first to believe in me,” I chuckled like it didn’t matter. I think I simply learnt to get used to the belittlement, the lack of trust, the second-hand embarrassment and the mocking sneer. It didn’t hurt as much anymore if I tried to ignore it. “People don’t usually trust me. If they do, others won’t trust them. The kids in the Death Camp feared my ability. So they used every chance they got to shame me – whether it was my size or my physique. I was all skin-and-bones, and I seemed fragile enough that the instructor simply dismissed me from the physical training.” 

“You were bullied?” His eyes flashed with numerous inexplicable emotions – disbelief, anger, pain. He seemed to recall a memory of his own to connect with mine, and the suffering he went through in his early childhood. From our daily interaction with each other, I know that despite his initial awkwardness and quiet nature, Luhan was extremely soft-hearted and fragile. In spite of what he might have done before, I know he is a good person through and through. 

“I wasn’t… I don’t think so.” I am not exactly sure of the definition of ‘bullying’ anyways. It could be everything or nothing – depending on the context and perspective. I considered myself a ‘bully’ as well, or worse, a ‘criminal’ with a track record of murders and all kind of crimes. Drugs, ions, mafia, assassinations – I have done things I’m not proud of for the sake of monetary fulfilment. “I told you the story to thank you, not to earn your pity.”

Luhan stopped running. Sweats dropped down to the ground like waterfall and he didn’t even bother wiping them off. “I’m not pitying you, I’m sympathizing. Know the difference.” He panted and did three squads faster than I could count. I stopped as well, about a meter away from him, feeling a bit confused and worn out at the moment. The sweats were starting to blur my sight. “If it makes you feel better, I would still put all of my bets in you no matter what the odds are.”

I’m not sure which is sweeter – his words or his blind faith. My heartbeat quickened at his honesty. Those deep blue eyes didn’t look like they were made alive just to lie. To ease the tension between us, I decided to humour him by asking lightly, “Would you put your life in the line for me, then?”

Luhan smiled and scratched his head like he was trying not to sound so awkward when he said that magic word, and my heart lurched out to do that weird somersault again, “Maybe.”

It was a joke, I wanted to say. But for Luhan, it wasn’t one. He had seemed so earnest in his reply that I would feel at fault should I refute him on that. I don’t have the heart – not when his shining blue eyes and pale pink lips spoke words to steal one’s soul – and heart – away. I find men like Luhan – frank, unafraid of expressing his emotion, and perfectly capable – to possess such allure that ensnare me to infatuation. It’s refreshing to hear such honesty and sincerity from anyone – a friend and a mentor, nonetheless.

“You are more than you imagine yourself to be, Sera. Perhaps it’s time you take yourself a bit more seriously. And if you can’t, then I wish that you could at least see yourself through everyone’s eyes – through mine – so you can have more confidence in yourself,” He added on, as if his words before weren’t lethal enough. He must have noticed my star-struck eyes as he snapped his fingers in front of me with a light laughter, “Now then, I think we’re both done for the night. Try to get some sleep and meet me tomorrow in the glasshouse at the same time this morning, aye?”

I nodded, feeling strangely warm and comfortable around him. He isn’t just nice, Luhan is also very generous with his words. It must be his eyes, I convinced myself. There must be magic behind every pair of blue eyes. I caught up to him as we exited the door at the same time. He slung the towel around his neck and closed his eyes as the sweat continued to drip all over his skin. “The words you said just now, about the self-love and confidence – it sounds exactly like something Suho would have said.”

He laughed. “He taught me many things I know.”

“Suho did?” My eyes were filled with mirth as I looked at him. He nodded and pushed the button on the elevator. Even at night there were many soldiers on patrol, and the number increased even more since the day the Rebel escaped from this facility. They viewed it as a shame to their hard-earned reputation. “Yes. He was the very first member to join the Union, and also one of the youngest recruits in history. His ability manifested very early into childhood, and if it weren’t for the lack of parental supervision, he would have been recruited sooner. But because he is so familiar with the way the Union works, many of us view him as a Leader and a brotherly figure.”

“Lack of parental supervision?” I didn’t bother hiding my curiosity after listening to his reply. I tried to imagine a smaller, more childlike version of Suho – cuter, plumper, with cheeks red and watery brown eyes. It’s hard to think of him as a problematic child with troubled history. Suho just looks so cultured and well-educated that it’s hard to see him otherwise. Luhan saw it and shook his head, “That’s not really something I should tell you about. It’s his story to tell, but safe to say, he has quite an unusual background compared to the rest of us.”

We separated at the crossroads before the corridor. Due to the air-conditioning, the sweats only felt sticky against my skin, but it was no longer dripping madly. I really need to take a long, hot bath after a tiring day. And these days, Luhan hasn’t even started on the basic defense-and-offense that most trainers would teach. “So, goodnight, Luhan.” His eyes rounded a little as they softened. “See you tomorrow?” He nodded and patted my shoulder lightly, “Get some rest, Sera. I’ll see you first thing in the morning.”

The corridor to our rooms in the fifth floor was laid out in a maze-like structure. There were eight entrances, and some took their own wings for privacy purpose, like mine and Sehun's (because I’m the only girl in the team), while others shared one alleyway, like Kris and Suho. It was a peaceful walk from the entrance to my room, with mirrors lining the walls and ceiling. What surprised me most was the man sitting in front of my doorstep with his eyes closed.

“Suho?” I whispered out his name in disbelief. He instantly shot up, his eyes wide and tired, and his hands trembled a little at the sudden awakening call. We haven’t seen each other for about a week, and he has at least gained a little weight that his cheeks were no longer sunken and the skin underneath his eyes filled. He was still skinny, but much better than his previous condition. The heavy burden in my heart eased a little at the sight. I looked at the white flower pot behind him with a small smile, “What are you doing here?”

Suho’s eyes darkened a little as he saw the amount of clothes I’m wearing – sports bra and tight leggings. I have long discarded the thin shirt I wore because of the unbearable heat and sweats. For the sake of politeness, he looked away immediately and picked up the flower pot from the ground. “I wanted to apologise earlier but decided that it might be better to wait a few more days before I could find you for a proper talk. Here –“ he handed me the pot with an earnest expression, “I know girls love flowers, and I figured that a pot of live flowers would be better than a bouquet of fake ones.”

How strange it is – that I could no longer feel anything but affection from him by his gesture of remorse and atonement. It is the first time someone ever takes such grand initiative just to apologise. I take the pot away and stay very quiet and still. My voice was hoarse and stifled. “How about you come inside for a while so we can talk?” Suho could feel a sudden ache in his heart as he nodded in silence. I took out a card and pushed it into the machine and the door opened with a soft beep.

I put down the flower pot into the floor beside my bed. I didn’t recognise the purple petals but it looks a lot like lavender. Bushy, thick lavender flowers.

Suho felt a bit lost now. He wasn’t sure if he should speak up – perhaps he shouldn’t because it served as a reminder and he wasn’t about to have another argument today. He came with unfinished business and he wanted to leave in peace. He usually wouldn’t be so keen in making amends – especially in something he felt right for – but there was always a first for everything. I glanced at him from the corner of my eyes, and saw his small, hesitant smile as I touched the small dozens of flowers that made up for the ten stems in one pot. It is beautiful, and I am touched.

I stood up and rushed over to hug him. Suho stiffened when my arms circled around his neck, like a reflexive defense that he built around him. I could feel the temperature dropped a few degrees, but as soon as he reached out to hug me back, I had pulled away. His eyes were narrowed when his hands grabbed into thin air. Even without my ability and that constant connection with Taehyung, the reminder of that incident still haunted me. I shivered a little for that split-second touch but it gets better somehow. I used to feel nauseous whenever someone touched me intimately, but I don’t really feel that way anymore when I’m with Suho – maybe just a bit scared and hesitant. It is quite an unexpected change. No more choking, no more crying.

“Do you like the flowers?” He brushed away some of the baby hair from my forehead, instead. I nodded in gratitude, “Very much. It’s very sweet of you. But what kind of flower is that?”

“It’s purple hyacinth. A flower of sorrow. Means to express ‘I’m sorry, please forgive me’. Quite fitting for our situation, doesn’t it?” He laughed it over and I followed along. I don’t want to overcomplicate things. I do forgive him because I consider him a ‘friend’, but there’s a crack that would take a lot to mend. He is a sweet guy and I think it will be a loss not to have him by my side. “Well, consider yourself ‘forgiven’, then. Not forgotten though. We are not getting there yet.”

Ah, I have to work hard to earn your trust again, don’t I?” His tone mellowed. I can’t quite decipher the look in his eyes. Suho turned around to the side, allowing me to see a small scar on his head that couldn’t be any older than a month or even less. It was covered by a chunk of hair close to the ears. The skin was still red, but it was obvious that it resembled a burn scar than a cut. I stepped closer, and almost reached out to touch it but refrained myself from doing so. I know he didn’t go to Rwanda for a mission, but if he wasn’t outside at all, where else would he be?

* * *

Last week of May

The Basement,

The Union’s Headquarter

 

“How much blood did you use that we have to do this again before the month ends?” The General said impatiently. He drew his sleeve upwards and let the doctor put the needles in. He didn’t flinch even when the pain split through his skin and penetrated inside. Doctor Lee watched passively from the side, and with a calm smile, she replied, “We got a little excited by the last subject so we used up most of your blood sample, General. We have to have the stocks piled up for our next ones.”

The alpha male relaxed and leaned back into the seat. He was an impressive built of six feet over, with a ripe body that rivalled that of a twenty-years old. Although his head was full of silvery white strands, his face was smooth, and the wrinkles only appeared around his eyes and mouth when he smiled. “The one in Japan, you said? The adoptee from the dead agent?” The General sighed and closed his eyes, the twins standing protectively by his side. “Do you have any clues yet on the boy? Any leads on his whereabouts and ability?”

It had been approximately a month since their last conversation, and if Doctor Lee had yet to find something about that boy, there would be punishment. Her brows were knitted together as she replied, “We have found out where he lives and where he works, General, but to make sure of his ability, we have to get closer to where he is. From our understanding of the subject, he is a male in his early-twenty who lives a very secluded life. He does not mingle around, has no friends, partners, or pets, and goes out of his apartment twice a week for grocery and work. Since no one has found out about the death of the agent, he is probably kept in the dark about the fact that he might be a Transcendental.”

“Agent Seo kept it a secret from the boy?” The General asked for a confirmation and received a very firm nod. “And how about Jung Sera, that girl? What has she been up to lately?”

“She’s kept a very low-profile, General. Hasn’t provoked anyone or done anything outrageous since her punishment,” Doctor Lee knitted her eyebrows and a frown settled deeply into her fair face. Fatigue was obvious, combined with lack of self-care as she had been busy for the whole month with more research subjects and test samples. The General had never paid as much attention on anyone else as he did to Sera, except for maybe Suho – but the boy was his main source of information in the Elites. She did not understand why the General would be so interested in her when she brought nothing but trouble with her attitude and unclear loyalty.

“You’re probably wondering right now, aren’t you, Jane, on why I insist on keeping the girl after what she’s done,” The General chuckled. He had never been as lenient towards anyone else. But he had his own purpose in keeping the girl. Without her ability, she was now a tiger without its fangs – and the General found it laughable that Doctor Lee would find her a threat still. The female doctor begrudgingly acknowledged the General’s keen observation and humbly replied, “Please, General, enlighten me.”

In all honesty, he hadn’t even considered keeping her with the Elites, either. He thought the punishment would break her down, and when it was all over, she would be a mere memory to those who knew her. Transcendentals like them didn’t live very long, and most of them didn’t thrive anywhere, having to hide and live in the shadows for all their lives. After she died, nobody would build an altar or arrange a funeral for her. The General didn’t have that much compassion to consider anything else but her worth and purpose with the Union.

It wasn’t until Suho pleaded for her inside his office, and Sehun outrageously acted out of his way to save her, that he realised Jung Sera could be so much more than a girl whose life was insignificant. She could be a pawn, he realised, and a very useful one, because her existence had become an important chess piece to keep the rest of the Elites in place. This project – Hellbringers – would never come together if it weren’t for her. She was that piece that kept everyone together – whether or not they realised it.

“You’ll see their bonds, Doctor. How willing they are to sacrifice themselves for the other – these foolish young people raging with lusts and love,” The General chuckled. “We’ll call her soon for the mission. And she’ll finally make use of herself for us.”

 

A/N: Here's your flowers. The purple hyacinth that symbolises sorrow and apology.