Sehun's Anger

Hellbringers

 

 

Kai felt good. Fighting and breathing without his teleportation was akin to having dead weights all over his body, and he didn’t like it one bit. He finally landed on the solid ground in the next compartment with the two Generals from both countries present at the moment. Upon seeing their faces, his mood soured and he didn’t bother hiding the scowl. In the other corner, Suho and Baekhyun were sitting in the chairs, far away from each other, but when Kai appeared, they lifted their heads up – Suho from whatever he was reading (presumably Holy Bible because the man loved talking about it non-stop whenever given the chance), and Baekhyun from his eternal boredom.

Ah, it’s you two,” Kai’s foul mood was obvious. Suho’s eyes light up and he stood with his eyebrows raised, appearing more amused than confused or angered. Everyone knew that though Suho’s temperament was good, his heart was blackened and vicious. Nonetheless, the Twelve – now Thirteen – was an exception to that rule. And for a good reason, too. They had fought side by side for many years. It wasn’t hard to see that even Suho had developed a sense of kinship for the others. Kai, known for his infamous unstoppable chatters, started rumbling on, “How are you sitting so still in your comfortable chairs when one-hundred and twenty-three men from CIA managed to sneak an attack on us in the yacht, three core members of the Rebel appeared in the next compartment, and ten soldiers of your countries died in my hands?”

Now they were confused. And perhaps even shocked, both for different reasons. The two Generals stood up as well, calm and steady with their hands sweaty. “What is going on?” The General of the China’s Army, Qian Kun, looked back and forth between the three Transcendentals. He, too, had heard a thing or two about the Rebel. No one knew when this organisation came to existence, but their long-standing war with the Union and the rest of the world had created some of the most devastating disasters and battles in human history. One of such was the tsunami in Indonesia in the early twenty-first century. The other was the Chinese Civil War almost a hundred years ago.

It was quite understandable for the young General to be shocked. Already in his forty, he had fought with his country from their poverty to their glory, but the Rebel was something he feared immensely. Sure, he had had dealings with them before – after all, it was too tempting of an offer to resist, but to know that today’s matter was disclosed to the other party would cause a rift between his country and Mexico, to the Union. Kun clenched and unclenched his fists. They might be a thriving country, but the Union could make the entire ground disappeared in the event of a night. It was unthinkable to go against them without the backing of the other. Slowly, he glanced at the other General, and found that he, too, was shocked witless.

Despite the pretense that everything was alright, Lucas, the highest commander of the three forces in Mexico, was sweating profusely. His mind blank from the shock. All ten soldiers dead. Furthermore, they had found out that the core members of the Rebel were here. He stared at the tan, exotic-looking man who had just appeared – his eyes glaring daggers as he seemingly complained to his Leader, only to turn his attention back on him and Kun. The man seemed well – no major injuries in his body except for a few scratches, but men like them, who fought with their lives on line knew that these minor wounds were only skin-depth, nothing to be concerned of.

Ten soldiers?” Suho narrowed his eyes. He, too, turned his attention to the two Generals for explanation. They had a spoken agreement that all nine compartments must be filled with at least ten soldiers each – all highly trained from the special Forces of their respective countries, scattered around for back-ups in case anything happened. And something did happen, except that instead of a hundred-or-so, it was only ten soldiers with the rest of the compartments left empty. Even without explanation, Suho was starting to see lights of Kai’s anger. “Ten soldiers, Generals? You asked me for an explanation when you should have spoken for yourself.”

“Some faith you have there for your fallen comrades,” Kai spat out. “You left the rest of the compartments empty and filled the two before us with armed men and Transcendentals. Now, which one of you screw this up? Or could it be both of you?” His eyes darted between them dangerously as he pointed his finger at Lucas, “– Don’t try to reach for that knife, General. Or I will slit your throat like a lamb for slaughter with the same weapon you’re hiding in your back pocket.”

“Can I just… kill them off and get this over with?” Came Baekhyun’s voice. It sounded very pleasant, like he was merely talking about the weather. Though Baekhyun seemed like a proper young man who only knew how to laze around without any ambition for work or life – and he sure talked like one – he was never one for conversation. Simply put, he hated it. He never saw the need for negotiation, and merely played along with everyone else. “Where is the girl anyway – is she dead already?”

Right. Just when everyone had almost forgotten that there was a girl in this team of freaks, they were conveniently reminded of her existence. It wasn’t that Baekhyun didn’t acknowledge Sera in the first place – he just preferred not to. That ability of hers reminded him of someone he disliked immensely, and for that reason alone, he would rather not stick too close to her. Baekhyun rarely talked about anything, but when he did, he never held back. His words were always a mixture of sarcasm, sometimes irony and epiphany, and metaphor. “So? Is her corpse still intact?”

And funnily enough, Kai felt a bit relieved – released even, when for once, he sounded like a good little child in comparison to the madness in Baekhyun. In the account for his personality, Kai knew it was very likely that Baekhyun didn’t think of murder as a sin – for him, it was merely a walk in the park. Or at least he used to, once upon a very long time ago, before everything went downhill. His parents’ crucifixion in front of his very eyes changed the perspective of the then eleven year old boy and shaped his life forever. He didn’t think little of lives – Baekhyun thought human lives were pretty precious, but at the same time, death didn’t matter much to him as long as it wasn’t his own or those closest to him.

No, she was fine. More than fine, actually,” Kai held back the chuckle when he thought of Sera’s condition. He saw the pale-faced member of the Rebel shrinking when the girl approached him, surprised that for one such big-talker, he had the guts of an ant. But then again, all big-talkers were. “Not sure how she is now, though. Interestingly, all of them called her ‘Captain’, so I guess she held a pretty important position before. One of the Rebel has the nullification ability, so I’m actually pretty surprised that none of you guys feel anything.”

Suho smiled – and not like his usual polite, business-like smile. No, this one was extremely pleasant to look at, as if the world was fine again, and everything would be alright. Kai snorted when their leader turned to face the General once again, looking regal for someone his age. “Generals,” He called out, and Baekhyun’s eyes shone brightly for once when Suho did so. Things had been boring lately because Suho was too placid in his ways of handling things. “We have an Order from the higher-up to guard this mission safely. It is not, however, in our account that either one, or both of you betrayed your country to the Rebel for whatever reason there might be. Nevertheless, it is still the Union’s responsibility to protect the presidents of your countries, but it is not in our duty or authority to keep the two of you safe.”

“We can do this the easy way or the hard way. You have two choices: one is to deal with Kai, who, as you know, is much more agreeable and amicable, or option two, talk your way out with Baekhyun here,” Suho patted the shoulder of his comrade.

Lucas felt his pride crumbled at that moment. Him, a sixty-years old veteran who dealt with other high-risk classified matters all his life, was now reduced to the accused, simply because of one phone call he made the day before. Never did he think that a short two-minute conversation would turn out to be deadly, even if all he did before was to answer to questions regarding the political climate in America. He couldn’t quite remember anything else after that, so why would they accuse him of such thing? He subconsciously turned to Qian Kun, who, despite being younger and less experienced, was far more steady and resolute. The Rebel wouldn’t let them die, would they…?

Baekhyun it is, then,” Suho smiled widely and decided for the two Generals before they could even speak. The lightness in his voice added onto the burden on the Generals’ shoulders, knowing that they either fought their ways out or died in vain. Meanwhile, the man who spoke turned to Kai, his smile fading the moment he realised that this entire mission was about to be jeopardised. Other than the bloods of those he approved of, no one else was allowed to die today. “Kai, take me to see Sera.”

“Shouldn’t we go to Sehun and Luhan first to let them know?”

Suho raised his eyebrow in dissatisfaction, “That’s your job after you bring me to Sera. Besides, the two of them are more than capable should anything unexpected happen.”

* * *

I looked down to stare at Suga, still contemplating on what to do after. Despite the fear on his face, there was still much anger to be released, although it did fluctuate from time to time. My hands itched for torture, but at the same time, I felt disgusted just by looking at him. It was at this very moment that Suho conveniently chose to appear, shifting everyone’s attention away. Upon sweeping his eyes across everyone, they finally landed on me and the humour in his dark orbs were more than obvious, “Troubles everywhere you go, huh? You sure have a good reputation at hand.”

Kai narrowed his eyes and grunted in satisfaction when he saw how terrified Suga was. And a split second later, he disappeared again, leaving Suho behind to handle the rest. The older man glanced at the now-empty space and turned his attention back to me. His eyes were cold and his smile was filled with ridicule when Daniel stood in front of me with glaring stare. “Is this your friend from the Rebel?” Suho asked, and raised his eyebrow from Daniel to Suga, “Poor guy, you must have done something pretty bad to him.” He his lips in anticipation, “Not bad enough, I figure, if he is still alive. You’re more soft-hearted than I thought you were, Sera.”

“Who is this guy? Why is he acting so familiar with you?” Daniel asked. Suho didn’t leave a favourable impression – not that he saw the need to. The Rebel was an enemy, and whoever was siding with it was also his enemy. Daniel, however, didn’t like the look that Suho gave me, and thought that he must be a bad influence. I chuckled and put my hand on Daniel’s shoulder. Despite being a year younger, his overprotectiveness reminded me of an older brother figure that I never had. “Step back, Brother, he is no enemy of mine. This guy is… a friend.”

Daniel whipped his head towards me with a deep, heavy frown settled on his fair face, “A friend, you said? Last time you were merely acquaintances with the Union’s dogs and now you’re friends? What next? Are you really gonna pick their side in this fight, Sera?”

“And if I am?” I challenged. The frostiness in my eyes seemed to affect him as well, because he sighed and glanced at Suho in distrust. “If I say that I am picking his side in this fight, what will you do, Dan?” I tilted my head and slowly made my way to Suho. Daniel didn’t even try to stop me anymore. Irene tugged on his sleeve for the second time today. “Will you fight me, Brother? Can you kill me? Must you stand against me to support a , a ist, and a bunch of heartless bastards? Must you pick that man’s side, Dan?”

Kai came again at the worst time possible, this time bringing with him, Sehun. The calmness in his eyes had been disturbed, the first time it had been so. I had seen Sehun being ecstatic, pleased, and maybe even proud, but not angry. And Lord forgave anyone who made him so. Nobody knew why he was ticked off, not even Suho or Kai. Worst yet, I could not even get a tiny sneak peek of his thoughts, but he sure looked mad – and not just the pissed-off-but-I’ll-be-alright-kind-of-mad. No, this was terrifying. “A… ?” His voice was hoarse but thin with its patience wearing out terribly fast. Sehun saw flashes of his past and clenched his fists so tightly his fingers almost numbed out the pain and blood on his palm.

This side of him was one Suho was most unfamiliar with, and it was also the hardest to soothe. Sehun was an unusually difficult case because he didn’t like rules and restrictions on his destructive ability, but this man standing behind him, whose eyes saw blood was thirsty for a fight. He had forgotten about the mission, the two Presidents he left behind to Luhan to come here the moment he saw Kai, and who it was that he was dealing with. Knowing that something must have triggered him so (perhaps the word ‘’ reminded him of an event from his past), I decided to protect the potentially endangered lives and turned to Daniel with a sense of urgency, “Hurry. Put up the Shields.”

“Are you crazy –?” Kai shouted.

“I am saving your asses here,” I hissed and cut him off mid-sentence. Everyone’s eyes went back to Sehun, watching his every move even as he stood still on the same spot he arrived in. Kai slowly distanced himself away and went away to a secluded, non-promiscuous corner where he could stand undetected and safe. I scowled. So much for the so-called friendship here. Daniel wanted to put his Shield over me, but I glared at him and shook my head. My ability was much needed at this time. It was Suho, however, who took the initiative to speak while everyone else was busying themselves with preparation for the unexpected should any accident happen, “Sehun, don’t do anything yet. It’s not time.”

“I’m not doing anything,” He replied and casted a frown that settled permanently there. It ruined his good looks, brooding and gloomy and all dark. I heard Irene’s silent echo in her head, half-panicking, half-worried, it’s him. It’s the man. “At least not yet. So tell me, Sera,” my name slipped out easily from those red lips like he had been saying it for a long time. I stared and he looked back in return. There was still anger and impatience, but he knew he should at least hold back a little. “Did anyone you in the Rebel? Did he –“ he pointed at Suga, “ – you?”

Suga snorted and said smugly in his mind, Almost. I narrowed my eyes and contemplated for that split-second to let Sehun release some of his tension on this no-good, no-brainer fool. But doing so would implicate Daniel and Irene, and although nobody would give a about Suga, I still cared for the two. While I was still with the Rebel, almost no one dared touch me because they feared for the Leader’s wrath – more so, Suga, who was all talk and never actually faced me in those days. Thus, I snickered and stared down, “You think this man can me? With his capability?” I knelt down again, “Keep dreaming, sweetheart, and I might just slip up and let you pick up the knife again – this time, it’s not gonna be the tongue you lose.”

“So there is someone else,” Sehun’s eyes darkened visibly.

“No, there isn’t. I wasn’t ,” I smoothly lied without an ounce of guilt.

“Such a bad liar,” He scowled – a gesture that made him seem more humane and less like a… two-dimensional painting. I smirked, and was about to retort, until a loud ‘boom’ that came from the back of this train frightened us all. I turned to Daniel and stared accusingly, asking for an explanation.

This was it. The second incoming attack after the so-called negotiation failed – or at least, that was what supposed to happen when Daniel gave them the signal. He saw the button hidden between Suga’s fingers and understood that this man never came here for a talk in the first place. He just wanted everyone to go to hell for him. a deep breath, Daniel grabbed Irene by the wrist and walked forward to where we were, leaving Suga in his own corner facing me, “Whether or not you choose to believe me, in about twenty seconds from now, this train will blow up. The reason why we came here in the first place, is to convince you to come back to us, hence we brought Irene along, because we knew you would trust her words most.”

“Don’t waste your breath!” I hissed and ran to the window. There were two cars closing in from the distance, without hindrance, courtesy to the two Generals who sold us out to the Rebel. I wanted to spew obscurities at Suho and told him that I was right all along, but when I turned around and saw his brilliant smile, it seemed as if everything was finally falling into his plan. “Daniel,” I said to my friend without looking at him once, “Put down the Shield. And tell your bastard of a Leader that I would never go back to him.”

I hope he still remembered the promise we made on the day I left because I would be damned if Daniel chose to become my enemy. Suho walked up to me, and Sehun followed, staring at the military aircrafts that issued two more bombs on the last compartments. The train shook and it was about to go off the trail. Sehun forcefully pushed it back with a sweep of his hands. “What to do now, Suho? It’s your call,” I urged. The fire would soon spread to the front compartment. He merely scoffed, “You think we’d be kind enough to let them get away without injuries? Your friend’s Shield… It’s not exactly physical, is it? More like a mental fortress to keep the Transcendental at bay.”

At this point, Kai had teleported the two Presidents, Baekhyun and Luhan to our compartment. I bit the inside of my cheeks in relief. “Suho, he is my friend. If you’re thinking about trapping him inside this train, I’ll have to reject that idea. Oh shoot, they’re leaving,” I pointed out as Suga jumped out of the train’s window and into the car. For someone who had been scared less, he sure had a lot of guts left to commit such act. Suho clicked his tongue in distaste. We had approximately ten seconds now. I shouted at Irene as Daniel prepared to throw her next, “Irene!” She turned around with an alarmed look. My heart softened a little. “Be careful…”

Kai grabbed my hand as I shot Daniel one last look. “Anytime now, Kai,” Luhan spoke and I saw my friend nodded at me, his expression solemn and almost sad, and then we were gone.

 

 

 

This look