Little Challenges Accepted

Couple On Cue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I ended up falling asleep again, finding comfort in Sehun’s embrace.

But shortly after, I was awakened by the doorbell.

Too surprised at the sound, I got up too quickly, not noticing that I was actually on the edge of the sofa, with Sehun’s arms only the ones keeping me from falling. Sehun stirred awake as well but not because of the doorbell but because of the loud thud that resulted from me falling to the floor.

I grunted in pain and Sehun sleepily asked me, “You okay?”

I stared at him, trying to gauge whether he knew that he had been holding me the whole night. But even before I could speak, the doorbell rang once again.

Sehun sat up before questioning, “Are you expecting someone?”

I was confused as well as to who could be visiting me early in the morning. It’s only Soojung who would randomly visit me anytime; my family would inform me before they would come to Seoul. Soojung’s not a morning person so I doubt that she’d be bothering me this early, unless it’s an emergency.

Massaging my arm which cushioned my fall, I walked to the door. Then I tiptoed, looking at the peephole and all my sleepiness crumbled away upon realizing who was the person on the other side. I took a deep breath before slightly opening the door.

“Hey, Jongin,” I flashed him a timid smile.

“Suz,” he started, “Do you have some grater?”

My mouth fell ajar, and he realized my apparent confusion.

“Uhmmm,” he exclaimed, “You said that neighbors borrow kitchen things from each other, right?”

I squinted at him before slowly nodding, “Yeah.”

But unknowingly, I just stayed still, scrutinizing him under my gaze and he stared back at me, as if waiting for my next action.

“So?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I repeated, my voice now firmer, “I’d just get it for a while. Please wait.”

I shut the door behind me and proceeded to the kitchen but to my luck, I think my grater ran away. We both knew I had one – the same one we bought together when we furnished the apartment – but I could not find it.

I sighed as I placed my hands on my waist. Defeated, I went back to the door and honestly told the waiting Jongin, “Sorry. I can’t seem to find it now.”

I was hoping that Jongin would simply say a few thanks and leave but then he suggested, “I can help you find it.”

I raised my brows, surprised, and seeing my reaction, he quickly added, “Well that’s if it’s okay for you to let me in your apartment again.”

I bit the bottom of my lip, thinking.

Was this a challenge? Is he gauging if I’ve already moved on from him enough for me to let him in my house so nonchalantly?

Well, I don’t back out of challenges – especially when it involves proving myself.

Besides, he’s just coming inside my unit. It’s not like I’m allowing him to come back to my life again.

“Sure. Come in,” I beamed at him, opening the door.

However, when he took a step forward, I suddenly closed the door abruptly, realizing that Sehun was also inside. Jongin then yelped in pain as the door hit his forehead.

He slightly glared at me and asked, “Was that on purpose?”

“N-No,” I stuttered, “Uhm. On second thought, I’d just try to look for it again then I’d let you in if I can’t find it once more. How about that?”

He squinted at me with confusion written all over his face before he nodded slowly and replied, “Okay.”

I quickly shut the door and panic was rising at my chest. I shook Sehun’s body with urgency to wake him up and he grumpily sat up, eyes still adjusting to the light.

“$100 to let me sleep a few more hours,” he bargained.

“No,” I answered almost immediately, “You have to hide.”

He raised a brow at me and said, “Why? Is someone after me? I don’t remember killing somebody last night.”

“No!” I shook my head with haste, “Jongin’s coming in and you have to hide right now.”

A small smirk played on his lips before he mumbled, “Are you trying to hide the fact that you slept with me?”

“Don’t phrase it like we undressed each other,” I spat.

“I’m open to that idea, actually,” Sehun continued teasing, “But I still like to avail of the cuddling too.”

I widened my eyes at him before throwing a pillow at his face, and Sehun ended up chuckling.

When the doorbell rang again, I was reminded once more that Jongin had been waiting. I quickly pulled Sehun up and started pushing him towards the comfort room. We were mere steps away from the comfort room when Sehun resisted my strength and instead faced me.

“Suzy, I don’t really see the need for you to hide your boyfriend from you ex,” he uttered, “Jongin would of course expect that I visit you – “

“I’m not hiding you per se,” I retorted before shoving him inside with full force, “I’m hiding the fact that you’re wearing his clothes!”

Sehun opened his mouth to protest but shut it again, and I knew that he was realizing the weight of my argument. I then shut the door, widening my eyes at him in a threatening manner, as if he was a child I was reminding to behave for the moment.

I took another deep breath and slightly combed my hair before opening the door once again, fully this time, as a gesture for Jongin to come inside. But instead of seeing a Jongin in full anticipation of my invitation, I saw him massaging the evident bump on his forehead.

Panic and guilt raised inside me and unknowingly, I started dragging him in, saying an apology after another. I sat him down on one of the dining chairs before fetching a bag of ice. Quickly, I applied it on his forehead with a frown on my lips as the bump had become reddish in color.

When I glanced at him, I realized that we were too close to each other and a small smile was playing on his lips. He was wearing that same look he had every time I’d tell him I love him – a mixture of glee and contentment.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” I asked him, and I hated the way my tone sounded so accusatory.

“Nothing,” he answered, “I just find it amusing how you could never truly hide this caring side of yours.”

But then I knew that there was more to the way I act than the way Jongin had phrased it.  This moment had just proved how taking care of Jongin had become my second nature. Two years of distance, and it takes just one accident for me to give him a little bit of warmth, without even thinking.

“I’m just sorry that I caused you this trouble, that’s all,” I lied.

I started to retract my hand and Jongin took it as a cue to take the bag from me so that he could do it himself. It had always been like this – we could act in sync without words.

Then, I turned my back at him as I started looking for the grater again.

I need to find that grater.

I want

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter