Owners of Their Hearts

Couple On Cue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two years of living alone and six years of living away from my family still hasn’t made me learn not to shop things that I cannot carry on my own.

I went grocery shopping and the cab had helped me bring the things in front of the apartment. However, I still had three floors to conquer and I don’t know how to bring seven heavy bags with me.

I sighed. This is Sehun’s fault.

If I was just peacefully living alone and not cooking for him, I would’ve survived buying canned goods and instant foods. But since I must prepare breakfasts for him, I also need some fresh supplies and other things for flavors. I’ve decided to just cook at home and reheat them at his unit because cooking at his condo is a disaster for me. I don’t want to work with those out-of-this world technology again.

I tried lifting all seven bags at once, but hell. This might even be heavier than me!

I looked around for help, and saw some men who are seemingly transferring some furniture. But I didn’t want to bother them because they look busy and I don’t want to invite random men inside my unit. That’s dangerous. Being in this world is actually dangerous in itself.

Ugh. I should’ve befriended one of my neighbors. This is what I get for being socially awkward.

Whatever. I am a strong independent woman. I can possibly do this.

I then divided the bags by weight and decided for my hand to carry three each. I was still left with one more bag which I tried to carry with my arms.

“Need help?”

A deep voice called me, but I couldn’t look up as I tried to focus all my attention to the bag I was trying to lift, so I just answered, “No. I think I can handle this.”

But surprise!

The plastic bag got ripped off, and the things inside the bag splattered on the ground.

The world really knows how to piss me off.

So much for trying to be strong… or independent.

Then, I was distracted by the chuckles that I heard as well as the statement that followed after, “Clumsy as ever, Bae Suzy.”

I gulped as I realized that I know that voice. I wanted just to turn and walk away from that too familiar sound as well as the familiar leap that my heart just did.

But of course, my actions had betrayed my mind.

I glanced at him, and my gaze met his.

His hands were on the pockets of his ripped jeans. He was wearing the sweatshirt that I bought for him when we were in college and he was wearing that same smile that I loved.

Why does Jongin still have this effect on me?

“So need help?” he repeated, breaking the silence that I put ourselves in.

“W-Why are you here?” I asked.

I almost cursed myself for my voice sounded weak and my question sounded so bitter.

He gave a timid smile in return, the one that he would usually elicit whenever he finds the situation awkward.

Then, he pointed to the men who were moving furniture and said, “I’d be living in the apartment across yours. Those are my things.”

There are thousands of questions running in my head, but he beamed at my loss of words and asked once more, “Need help?”

My gaze fell down to the scattered things on the floor, but I insisted, “No thanks. I’m fine.”

He sighed, one that was some sort of realization that I was being stubborn.

“Why can’t you just let me help you?” Jongin whispered, his eyes seemingly pleading.

“Why are you even insisting that I take your help?” I argued.

“Well,” Jongin paused, trying to find the right words, “Aren’t we friends?”

I bit my lip before replying, “We’re not friends.”

“Really?” Jongin exclaimed, “You’re just going to throw away all those years you had with me?’

“I’m not the one who first threw away everything,” I muttered.

At that, his face hardened, far from the countenance he was carrying a while ago when he approached me. He blinked before turning away, and for one moment, I thought I saw pain in his eyes.

Suddenly, I felt hands wrapped around my arm, and Soojung bumped her body towards me, as if telling me to snap out of it.

“Hi Jongin!” Soojung greeted him, “I see that you’d moved.”

Jongin merely nodded and gave another timid smile.

“I’d be the one helping Suzy with her groceries so don’t worry,” Soojung told him, “Just carry along with your transfer. You don’t want those men to run away with your furniture, do you?”

“You’re right,” Jongin nodded once more, “I guess I’d just leave the two of you.”

“Trust me that that’s the best decision you’d do today,” Soojung stated, “So see you around?”

“See you around,” Jongin grinned again.

He glanced at me but I averted my gaze until I was certain that he had walked away. Then, Soojung helped me with my groceries but as soon as we reached my unit, I received a scolding from her.

“What was that?” she asked.

I rolled my eyes before commenting, “Why is he even here?”

“You’ve heard him. He said he just moved in,” Soojung answered nonchalantly.

“In front of my apartment, out of all places?!” I exclaimed.

“Suzy, remember that Jongin is the reason you bought this apartment in the first place. This is close to his work,” Soojung reminded me, “Now that he’s back in Korea and you two are no longer together, of course he’d need a house that’s around your neighborhood.”

When I fell into silence, Soojung sighed, and added, “Maybe you’re just assuming things too much. It’s for his convenience, Suzy. Not for you.”

“Who said I’m assuming things?” I denied.

“Throwing a fit just because he offered his help, isn’t that the best evidence that you’re assuming he wants to enter your life again?” Soojung retorted.

So she witnessed everything from the start.

“He’s the one who’s assuming that we’re friends! Is that even normal?” I complained.

“Well…yes,” Soojung whispered, “Take it from me who had many exes and who all said they still want to be friends.”

“I wouldn’t take it from you who never had a long and serious relationship before,” I told her.

The both of us fell into silence and that is when I realized that I have said too much.

“Sorry, Soojung,” I mumbled.

“Thanks for knowing that I’m offended,” she grunted.

I then walked towards her, sat beside her at the sofa before enveloping her in an embrace.

“Get off,” she scowled, “I’m not yet done fixing your groceries.”

I chuckled before hugging her tighter. Then, she struggled under my grip but then, she just laughed along.

“What should I do?” I asked her, in a soft whisper.

“All those times you said you’d moved on, are they lies?” she asked back.

“I thought they were all true, until I saw him again,” I confessed, “Now, seeing the man that I loved, I can no longer find the courage to say I’m over him.”

This time, Soojung reciprocated my embrace and answered, “You’re stronger than you think you are, Suzy.”

“I hope so,” I sighed, “I can’t even carry my groceries.”

Soojung laughed before suggesting, “I’d let you borrow my collection of Taylor Swift’s albums then maybe you can just blast them off so that Jongin would get the message.”

“And what song do you suggest that I play on repeat?” I questioned.

“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together,” Soojung answered, making me laugh louder.

 

 

Sehun asked me out for a dinner.

At first, I thought that he wanted me to cook his dinner that day too and I wanted to refuse but then, he explained that it was a family dinner and saying no was not an option since it was his father who asked for me.

I put on the best dress that I could find in my closet and fixed myself in the best manner I could. It was nothing near the way that Soojung had dolled me up, but it was decent enough, in my opinion.

When the doorbell rang, I picked up my bag, expecting to see Sehun.

But it was Jongin whom I found waiting on the other side.

I wanted to bombard him with hateful words again, just seeing him in front of my door. But then, I trie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter