Hurt and Heal

Couple On Cue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Soojung was at my living room, binge-watching some episodes of Netflix’s Busted, while I was finishing some articles in my laptop. I thought she was entertained enough but then she finished all the episodes, and I knew she’d be talking to me sooner or later.

Nonetheless, I did not know that our conversation would touch a topic I’ve been avoiding for long.

“So how are you doing with Sehun?”

“We’re doing great,” I answered so nonchalantly.

“Great as in you’re a real couple now?” Soojung asked, “Have you erased the word ‘fake’ yet?”

I took a break from typing and spared Soojung a glance as I answered, “I mean, he’s great. I’m great. We’re great.”

“I said, with Sehun,” Soojung raised a brow at me, “Come on. Haven’t you leveled things up yet?”

“I am not expecting to have this conversation with someone who had just a break up,” I retorted.

“That was last month,” Soojung grunted, “Besides, I don’t waste my time mulling over trash.”

I beamed, seeing that Soojung has fully gotten over his previous relationship. But then, she walked towards me and took my laptop away from me in order to make me focus all my attention to her.

“Hey,” I complained, “I was working.”

“What we need to work on is your relationship status,” Soojung remarked.

“I’m fine!” I insisted.

“No, you are not! You’re stuck with this fake thing!” Soojung replied.

Soojung gave a long and deep sigh before telling me, “You can’t tell me that you are still faking things. Suzy, you two are no longer proving to anyone that you are dating. You are dating for real, except that the both of you are still taking things like it’s all part of pretend.”

“How can you say that it’s no longer pretending?” I whispered.

“Come on,” Soojung urged, “What does your heart tell you? Do you think you can fake your feelings?”

When I said nothing in return, Soojung knowingly smiled at me and took my hands before holding them tight.

“Suzy, you deserve all the wonders that love could give,” Soojung told me.

“I-Isn’t everything happening too fast?” I stammered, “I mean, it took years for Jongin and I to –“

“You should stop comparing,” Soojung interrupted, “Love happens at its own pace. There’s nothing like too fast nor too slow – time is immaterial as long as what you feel is real.”

I released a long breath, which told Soojung that I was admitting everything she has said.

“What should I do?” I asked her.

“What you should’ve done with every opportunity you were given,” Soojung replied, “Tell him how you feel. Tell him that it’s real.”

“Wow, that rhymes,” I commented which made Soojung roll her eyes in return. I gulped before asking her, “What if he doesn’t feel the same?”

Soojung then gave me a reassuring smile before saying, “We do what we do best. We help each other heal.”

 

 

It was Sehun’s mother’s birthday party, and as the ‘girlfriend’ of his son, I was invited. Soojung helped me prepare well until it was time for Sehun to fetch me. He arrived five minutes before his promised time, and I almost said ‘wow’ upon seeing him. He looked so handsome with his combed hair and suit and tie.

“You look magnificent,” Sehun sincerely whispered as soon as he laid his eyes on me.

This was far from the Sehun who picked me up for Sulli’s wedding. Now, he does not hesitate to shower me with compliments.

“You look great as well,” I replied.

“Is that part of being polite or are you being honest?” Sehun squinted at me.

“If you think I’m lying, then that means you’re not that confident with how you look,” I retorted.

“Fair enough,” Sehun nodded to himself, “Fine. Compliment accepted.”

I chuckled before slapping his chest lightly. He chortled too before telling me, “Come on. Mom is waiting. She’d be delighted to see you.”

He took my hand in his and we walked to his car. He turned the radio on then naturally without me requesting for it. I beamed because now, Sehun can understand me even without me saying anything.

The birthday party was packed, and I saw some people whom I have seen in television or magazine or in the internet. There were many business moguls, as expected. I should have felt little then and there but with Sehun holding my hand, I always felt secure – like I can handle everything.

I sat at the table with his family and Joohyun and we indulged in sumptuous food but in the middle of dining, Sehun leaned in and whispered in my ear, “Your food is still the best.”

“That’s a biased opinion,” I answered.

“Perhaps,” he giggled.

There were then some video presentations, and some messages here and there.

Sehun then delivered his own, “Hi Mom. From the moment I was born, I knew you were disappointed at me since you wanted a girl.”

The crowd laughed and so did I.

“Growing up, the list of disappointments I have given you grew, but you loved me nonetheless and I’m thankful for that. But actually, thinking about it, I was disappointed at you too, mom.”

He glanced at our table and continued, “You can’t cook. You’re not around during some occasions. You’re always busy with work. When I was a kid, I would wait for you to come home but I would fall asleep in the living room without even seeing your face.”

“Wow. I thought it’s my birthday,” Mrs. Oh remarked which made everyone chortle, including Sehun.

“But every time that I wake up, I would be in my room, and when I look in the mirror, I would smile seeing that kiss mark on my forehead,” Sehun continued, “I am thankful for you for so many things, especially for giving us a comfortable life. But most of all, I thank you mom for giving the greatest wealth that this world could never buy: your love.”

He smiled – the one that made his eyes twinkle in glee as he greeted, “I love you. Happy birthday.”

I beamed as Sehun went down the stage and hugged his mother tight. I smiled at him when he took the seat beside me, and without words, we just kept holding each other’s hand throughout that night.

Performances then came after and before I knew it, Sehun was dancing with me at the middle of the hall, with my hands at the back of his neck while his was resting on my waist. We were swaying with the music, along with others who were also dancing intimately.

Everything felt so right and wonderful that at night, like I was at the right place, at the right time with the right person. My heart felt so light-hearted, probably because I was happy and looking at the man before me, I knew he was the reason behind all the glee that I felt.

I was then staring at Sehun, tracing the features of his face with my gaze.

“What?” he chuckled, “If you keep staring at me like that, I’d think I’m too handsome.”

I rolled my eyes at him before smiling. He also beamed in return, and with just that one smile, my heart did a double flip.

I sighed for at that moment that Sehun looked so beautiful, I knew that there are some words that needed to be said – words that would express the overflowing emotions that I am feeling every time I am with him.

“Sehun,” I whispered.

“Hm?” he hummed, not tearing his gaze away from mine.

“There’s something I want you to know,” I started.

“And what’s that?” he asked, with creased eyebrows.

I took a deep breath. My heart is hammering against my chest in nervousness. I felt so scared, yet that loving gaze that Sehun is giving me is the source of all the strength that I need to confess.

“I…”

“Sehun,” a voice called him.

We both turned around to find Joohyun. She smiled apologetically at me and said, “I’m sorry, Suzy but Jongsuk wanted to speak with him.”

Sehun looked at me, as if waiting for my reaction but I beamed back and said, “Go on. I’d be waiting for you around.”

I then went to the bar and enjoyed trying some different desserts. When Sehun took longer than usual, I tried drinking too and I was at my third glass when Jongsuk took it away from me.

“Don’t drink much,” Jongsuk reminded.

I creased my forehead, “I thought Sehun was talking to you.”

“Yes. We talked,” Jongsuk replied, “But once we’re done, he started looking for you.”

He emptied the glass that I wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter