Playing Pretend

Couple On Cue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sulli’s wedding was coming up and despite insisting that one of my few dresses in the closet would do, Soojung forced me to go shopping, saying that I needed to look my best or else I’d be the center of gossips among our high school batchmates, with them guessing how miserable I had become.

“I don’t have money for these,” I sighed as I looked at the dresses on the rack.

They were all gorgeous but just thinking of my $10,000 debt already urges me to go home and look for some extra freelance job.

“Then pick one, I’d buy it and then I’d let you borrow it,” Soojung beamed.

“I thought you’re going to spend for me,” I teased, “That’d be a lot sweeter, you know.”

She rolled her eyes and answered, “I know you would not say yes to that. I picked the easier argument.”

I nodded with a grin which sent her chuckling as well. She picked three dresses from the rack before pushing me to the dressing room, insisting that I try them all on. She then came with me inside the dressing room.

Soojung had already seen so many for me to be shy to strip in front of her.

“I know you have a big debt to pay,” she mocked while I was trying to fit into my dress.

“No need to remind me,” I muttered, “I already have my grumpy creditor to do that every day.”

“Speaking of grumpy creditor, how is he?” Sooung asked and I could see the curiosity in her stare.

“He’s fine,” I answered as if automatically.

“No!” Soojung exclaimed as she helped me zip up, “I mean, is he single?”

I glared at her through the vanity mirror as I said, “I think I don’t like where this conversation is going.”

“Come on, Suz,” she replied, “This is your chance to be free from singlehood!”

“I can handle myself, okay? I don’t need someone!” I insisted, frustration written all over my face.

Soojung held my shoulders and looked at me in the mirror as she said, “Of course. You don’t need anyone to complete you. You’re perfect the way you are, Suzy.”

“But?” I raised my brows.

“But two is better than one,” she wriggled her eyebrows in a playful manner and as I released a sharp breath, she chuckled. She then sat in front of me and said, “Why don’t you contact him? You need a date for Sulli’s wedding.”

“Why would I need one?” I asked with furrowed eyebrows.

First a new dress. Then, a new guy? Soojung is trying to make me crazy, really.

“Because Minyuk is coming with me, and you don’t want to third-wheel with us for the whole night,” Soojung answered.

“Who’s Minyuk? I questioned.

“My date,” Soojung shrugged.

“What happened to Taemin you introduced just a month ago?” I asked, “And where did you meet this Minhyuk? Tinder again?”

“No, Instagram,” she sarcastically corrected. Soojung then twirled her hair in her finger as she frowned, “And about Taemin… we’re not really compatible.”

“Can’t you settle with one guy?” I scolded her.

“Can’t you settle with any guy?” she retorted.

I bit my lip and she smirked in triumph. Then, Soojung argued, “So back to my point. You need to bring this Grumpy Creditor because you don’t want to look pathetic on Sulli’s wedding. Not in front of the whole batch. Especially not in front of Jongin and his new girlfriend.”

“It’s a no, Soojung,” I said firmly, “And that’s final.”

“Then what would you say to Jongin if he asked you about your new boyfriend?

“I don’t know,” I grunted, “I’d figure that out somehow.”

I then started ping the dress that I was wearing and with a whisper, Soojung told me that I try the other dress. I thought our argument was over – not until she got my phone from the pocket of my jeans and sped out of the dressing room.

“Hey!” I shouted but I couldn’t run after her with all my ness.

Grunting, I put on my jeans and shirt before running after Soojung but when I saw her, she already had a victorious smile on her face. Nevertheless, I grabbed the phone back from her with a glare.

But then she told me, “He already said yes. There’s no more going back.”

I cleared my throat before taking the ongoing call, “Hello?”

“So you need my help?” Sehun said on the other line.

“You don’t need to do it,” I told him and Soojung whined in front of me.

“No, it’s okay, I’d do it,” Sehun replied, “Besides I need your help too.”

“Need my help for what?” I asked.

“I need you to bring lunch for two tomorrow at work,” Sehun answered, “Then you can just count my companionship at your classmate’s wedding as returning the favor.”

I my lower lip and Soojung watched me in anticipation. I turned my back at her, but then, she grabbed me and brought her ear close to the phone as well. I tried to shrug her off, but she wouldn’t bulge.

“So, deal?” Sehun called for my attention.

“Fine. See you tomorrow,” I told Sehun.

As I ended the call, Soojung couldn’t stop squealing.

.

 

When Sehun sent me his work address, I expected to stay at the lobby while he got out of work with his co-workers. The waiting at the lobby still happened though but the one who greeted me was his secretary. She told me to wait at first, and before I could be swallowed up by my curiosity onto why he had a secretary, I instead took time to check the place.

I kept roaming around because there was too much to see. The displays were grand, some abstract paintings here and there. The view at this floor was also magnificent, overlooking the whole city. There was a mirror at the side and I saw my reflection. I was merely wearing some jeans and the blouse I found on top of my clothes. My appearance made me look out of place.

I almost jumped when the secretary called for me all of a sudden. I saw her snicker until she told me that Sehun wanted me to come in. I mumbled a word of gratitude before walking towards the door she opened for me.

As soon as I entered, I saw Sehun with all his glory. Unlike his messy bed hair in the morning, his black locks were swept back. He was also wearing some light blue long sleeves and slacks. I gulped as my mouth involuntarily salivated. Then my gaze fell to the old man beside him who had just met my gaze.

“Good day,” I greeted the old man.

Sehun turned to me and beamed as he said, “You’re here.”

He walked towards me and suddenly, he leaned in to plant a kiss on my cheek.

I froze for a moment before throwing him a questioning glare.

Then, he leaned in again and out of reflex, I dodged him, thinking he would kiss me again. But then, I realized that he was actually aiming for my ear as he talked in a whisper.

“Play along,” he told me with threatening eyes.

I was about to complain on how he was glaring at me but his words had caught me off-guard for the second time in a span of two minutes.

“Dad, this is my girlfriend,” Sehun spoke, “Suzy, this is my father.”

I widened my eyes before turning to him but then, he mouthed, ‘Play along.’

“It’s nice meeting you, Suzy, dear,” Mr. Oh spoke, extending his hand.

I secretly glowered at Sehun one more time before accepting the offered hand and returning the smile that Mr. Oh had flashed at me. Then I replied, “It’s nice meeting you too, Sir.”

“Sir? Please call me Dad,” Mr. Oh continued beaming, “I’d like you to be comfortable with Sehun’s family. You’d soon be part of the family too.”

Part of the family? Ha. He already thinks I’d be marrying his son.

Despite the panic rising inside my chest, I continued smiling, “Yes, Dad.”

“I’m afraid that I have to leave though,” Mr. Oh said before winking, “Plus I don’t want to steal the time you have for each other.”

“I thought we could eat together,” Sehun whispered and when I looked at him, I saw the sadness in his gaze.

“I’m sorry, Son, but I have to get going,” Mr. Oh apologized, “I’m sure Suzy could keep accompany you for lunch.”

“Y-Yes. Of course,” I nodded.

“Ah! That’s right!” Sehun exclaimed, “I made Suzy cook for us. I want you to taste her cooking. Maybe you could bring it with you instead.”

As if on cue, I brought out the tupperware from my paper bag and handed it to Mr. Oh. I saw how the corner of his lips tugged into a smile before he started thanking me.

“I can’t remember the last time someone cooked especially for me,” Mr. Oh said, “Well, except for the maids, of course.

I said nothing as my gaze went to and fro Mr. Oh and Sehun. Like father, like son – getting all melted with a simple gesture. Just how deprived are they of home-cooked food? They are the living testimonies of how the old saying is still true – the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach.

We then bid each other farewell and then Sehun excused himself, telling me to wait in his office as he walked his father to the elevator.

Great. Another round of waiting. Sehun should be paying me for every minute that he would keep me idle.

As I was left alone, I inspected his office which was as simple, minimalist and clean as his unit. Then my gaze fell to his table where there was a wood with his name carved and on the bottom of it was the title ‘Vice-President.’

“I didn’t know I’m dealing with someone big time,” I told myself.

No wonder he could afford his luxurious condo unit.

Bored, I tried to make myself comfortable at his swiveling chair and when he took longer than I expected, I started playing with the chair, dragging it around the office, pretending that I was in a bump car. I spun round and round, sliding here and there and for a moment, I felt like I was back to the youthful me.

I beamed as I closed my eyes and spun the chair again.

But even before I could savor the moment further, a hand stopped my playtime and I found myself scowling at Sehun.

“You’re enjoying too much,” he smirked at me.

“I didn’t know you were a chaebol,” I accused him as I stood up.

“I didn’t find the need to tell you,” he retorted.

“If you’re this rich, why still make me pay?” I crossed my arms over my chest.

“No one’s going to get rich if they just give away $10,000,” he replied, mimicking my gesture as he also crossed his arms over his chest, “Money does not grow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter