Starting Off On My Journey

My Seven Roommates
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Why am I doing this again?’

 

I forgot how much I hated flying but this was a new opportunity for me. I made the decision to leave my home back in the states even though I was making a living and doing well for myself as a 23 year old, I wanted to start a new journey and get out of the rut I was setting myself up for. So I decided to save up money, which took a couple years to do, and head on out to my Mother’s native country, Korea. I didn't have a plan for work but I figured I could find something out while I’m there, I did save more than enough to keep myself stable for a few months if I spend my money wisely.

 

My main concern was where I would be staying. To save money I would be staying in a share house. The owner told me though that there would be a group of people moving in a little bit before me, I was kind of hoping to get some alone time to recover from the flight and jet lag before having to deal with people but, also, it's a CoEd house so i could be stuck with a majority of men. Since it's confidential information he wasn't allowed to release anything to me, I was just told the house would be full and living with seven other people.

 

“Miss, would you like a blanket and pillow? We will be turning the lights off here shortly.” A female flight attendant leaned down to ask.

 

“Uh, yes please.”

 

She handed the items to me and started to walk away before i could say thank you. ‘Well she was a little rude,’ I thought to myself. I guess she must not want to be on this flight, which I can't blame her 100%. I placed the pillow behind my head and placed the blanket in the middle seat.

 

Lucky for me this flight wasn't crowded and could have a row to myself. I was sitting in the window seat, but since this was my first long flight I wasn't sure what proper sleeping etiquette was. I wanted to lay down on all three seats but airplane seats are smaller than a car backseat it would probably be uncomfortable to lay down like that. So I reclined my chair the inch it allowed and took the blanket and covered up a much as I could. The main set of lights turned off and it didn't take long for me to fall asleep due to the amount of emotions that where drained from me.

 

~12 hours later~

I looked out my window to see the clouds and blue sky. We would be landing in just an hour. I was getting excited and couldn't wait to get to Korea and call it home. I decided i would go to the bathroom and change into my arrival clothes, so i wouldn't look like I like i just took a nap. I grabbed one of my bags from the overhead department and headed to the back. I forgot how small airplane bathrooms where and how difficult it would be to change.

 

‘How does anyone accomplish getting into the mile high club in here?’ Was the only thought running through my head as I contorted my body to put on my skinny jeans. I put on a black tank top and a red and black check flannel. Know it was getting close to winter i didn't know exactly how cold it was going to be and me being me i didn't check the weather reports before leaving. I slipped my sandals on and placed my old clothes in the bag so I could head back to my seat. Once back at my seat, I would be able to do my make up and quickly braid my hair before landing.

 

“Attention passengers,” the pilot’s voice came over the speaker. “We will be landing at Incheon International Airport in approximately 10 minutes, the time when we land will 2:35 in the afternoon. We ask you at this time to start collecting your items and putting them away. We also ask you to put on your seatbelts, put up your trays, and bring your chairs back into their right up position. Thank you again for flying with us, and have a good day.” Then the same message was repeated in Korean by one of the attendants. I did as the pilot and attendants asked. I was more than happy to get off this aircraft.

 

Finally, once I was off the plane and past immigration I could breathe easier. I followed the signs to luggage and got my large suitcase and headed to the currency exchange center to exchange the few American dollars

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter