Chapter 10

Expected Love

Baekhyun's P.O.V

The next morning, he skipped going to his classes. When he woke up, Sehun was still resting in the bedroom and Chanyeol didn't seem to have the courage to disturb him. They both know that they can't leave Sehun home alone, but Chanyeol's work is too important to just ignore. His class on the other hand is something he can skip and just read on his own: as long he doesn't make it a habit, it should be fine. The professors don't care if you attend or not, but it looks better to not skip any classes.

Chanyeol left on his own, but he made sure to give him a strange peck on his forehead before he left. Of course, he wanted to scold the giant, but the taller man only grinned happily and left before he could even utter a single word. After that, he was left alone to do his chores at home while waiting for Sehun to feel better. He made breakfast (even a little extra in case Sehun would like some later), washed the dishes, cleaned the kitchen, and then settled down in the living room to study. He can't slack off just because he decided to skip class today.

He's in the middle of being buried in his books when he notices movements around him. He hears strange sounds, murmurs, and then realizes that it's actually Sehun who has woken up. He hurries to put everything away and is about to go and fetch the taller man, but he didn't need to. Shortly Sehun stands in the opening to the living room, his eyes full of confusion, but also sadness and disappointment. He hurries to stand up and smiles at his friend who obviously is still not feeling too well.

 

“Good morning Sehun-ah. Would you like some tea or something to eat?”
“Y-Yes thank you...”

 

Sehun tries to smile, but it only looks painful in his eyes. He hurries to fetch some food he made and even pours two cups of tea for them. He sets the table and watches how Sehun is waiting in the background to sit down. When he's done, he flashes a small smile towards the blonde man and gestures for him to take a seat. They settle down at the table in silence and he lets Sehun eat a bit of his food before he dares to open his mouth.

 

“So, did you sleep well? I mean, could you sleep at all?”
“Mm... The room was nice and cold...”
“Was it too cold for you? I'm sorry, if we knew someone would come, we would have heated it up a bit.”
“No, it felt perfectly fine... I like cold rooms the best...”

 

He watches Sehun take some more bites of his food before he begins to sip on his tea. They don't say much for a couple of minutes, and he takes his time to study the person in front of him. Eventually, Sehun seems to find his tongue and finally speaks properly to him.

 

“I'm sorry that I just showed up like this.”
“It's alright, really. We're friends and if you ever need help, you can always come to us.”
“But I disturbed you two and-”
“Sehun, don't feel sorry. Instead, tell me what has happened.”

 

Sehun falls silent right away, almost like he had said a forbidden and foul word. He watches his friend carefully until the taller man lets out a tired and rather exhausted sigh. He looks burdened, but also upset and he can sense frustration within him.

 

“I-It's nothing you should concern yourself with-”
“First of all, no one would show up in the middle of the night and look like a mess if it was nothing. Second of all, when I mentioned Luhan's name last night you flinched and looked visibly upset. You can't come and tell me it's nothing I should worry about because both you and Luhan are my friends. You two rarely argues or fight, so something is obviously wrong and upsetting.”
“We just... Well... We're... We're breaking up...”

 

He can barely believe his ears: did he just hear that? Sehun and Luhan... are breaking up...? The words don't make sense to him. Luhan and Sehun were closer than anyone he knew – even closer than his parents. They helped him realizes his feelings, to make him use them and try to make Chanyeol fall for him. They were his support when he felt like an idiot and Luhan told him everything about him and Sehun. How could they suddenly... break up...?

 

“W-What...?”

 

The word barely leaves his mouth. He's in shock and the thought of Sehun and Luhan actually breaking up feels too unreal. They wouldn't give up too easily and the last time he checked, they were really close and lovey-dovey with each other.

 

“We're breaking up... Luhan told me to leave... So, I did...”
“W-Wait! What happened? I mean, why would you suddenly-?”
“Because he has changed! I-I'm just trying to make things work and he just gives up!”
“Okay, Sehun-ah, I need you to calm down a bit. Can you tell me exactly what happened?”
“I don't want to talk about it...”

 

Like he thought, Sehun is extremely upset. He lets out a small sigh and puts down his teacup to not spill anything on himself. He then gently reaches out to grab Sehun's hands and holds them firmly in his own. He stares right into the brown eyes in front of him and makes sure to not let them look away from him.

 

“Sehun, as your friend and as Chanyeol's husband who is your friend, I want you to listen to me carefully. I have noticed something that will not sound very shocking to you, but it is something I didn't know. Apparently, vampires have a hard time showing their feelings for each other which is something you already know. But sometimes, showing your true feelings and talking about them helps you more than closing them in. Trust me, locking your feelings into your heart and ignoring everything around you will not help you or calm you down. Please, talk to me. I think I understand you more than you think.”
“You don't know a thing about me-”
“It may not look like it, but me and Chanyeol fought right after the wedding. We're on better terms now, but we're still not back to how we used to be. We're slowly getting there, but it takes time. If Luhan has changed, don't you think he deserves some time to process everything and try to get back to normal? I don't really know what happened, but did you give him an honest chance to change back or realize what had changed?”
“H-He treats me like I'm not his lover anymore... H-He puts work before me... He ignores me... He's rarely home... I... I think he's cheating on me...”
“Do you have any proof or is it just assumptions? Maybe he's being stressed out from work? Chanyeol became a horrible and cold person when he was stressed out the most. Sometimes, you just need them to open their eyes or help them get away from the stress.”
“I can't just take him anywhere because he won't come with me... He told me to leave... He told me to leave him alone... He told me... that he doesn't care...”
“So you decided to get drunk and miraculously find our new home to crash at instead of trying to find a better solution?”
“I didn't intend to come here, I just... I ended up calling Chen and he told me to get my over here. The Uber dropped me halfway here. I was sober by the time I arrived.”

 

Sehun mostly mumbles to himself while chewing on his food. When he's finished, he lets out a long sigh while pushing the plate away from him. He watches his friend silently while sensing his feelings. He knows exactly what is going on in his mind and what he's going through. It hurts his pride a bit, but he thinks Sehun's is exactly like him when he found out about Chanyeol's brother. He has lost hope and courage, something that will make him end up in a bigger mess than what he already is.

 

“Sehun... As your friend who sincerely care about you, please don't just give up. I... I could have ended up ruining the peace between werewolves and vampires just a month ago. I gave up and lost courage. I wanted everything to just fall and didn't care what was going to happen. But I ended up getting even more hurt and I hurt more people around me than what I could see. I worried so many people and made a fool out of myself. Don't end up like me.”
“What the hell did you and Chanyeol fight about? You have nothing to worry about-”
“I found out about something that hurt me and I acted childish. I ended up hurting myself and the people around me. Trust me, you don't want to become like me.”

 

He gives Sehun a strict glare before he watches him slowly sigh and drop his head. Seconds passes before Sehun finally looks back up on him, this time smiling a bit sadly.

 

“Why are we so messed up...? Why are feelings so complicated...?”
“Because that is the beauty of it. We get hurt, but we gain so much more. It's something we need to feel alive and human. It's hard but remember how happy and wonderful you feel whenever things are going smoothly. Remember the warm and ticklish feeling you get in your chest and stomach whenever you watch Luhan smile at you. Remember the soft and sweet kisses, the long and calming nights you lie in bed while just cuddling and talking about things between heaven and earth. Don't forget those feelings, that way you will know that all the pain you're feeling is just proof that you truly love him.”
“Baek... You... You truly know how to express those feelings... It must be nice... Always knowing what you're feeling...”
“Trust me, I don't always know what I'm feeling. Sometimes, I'm as confused as anyone else. I'm just better at understanding my feelings after a while.”

 

Sehun smiles at him, and his words seem to have reached him. He watches Sehun withdraw his hand back to him before he lets out another sigh and leans back in his chair. His eyes are staring at the ceiling while he appears to be daydreaming about something.

 

“Me and Luhan... Have had a rough journey together... So much has happened... We have fought so much... Gotten hurt... Loved... Fallen in love all over again... I just... I just thought that this time... we couldn't save it... Our relationship I mean...”
“Don't worry, I get a feeling that this is a huge misunderstanding and a mistake from both sides. You probably got too upset about the situation after all the frustration you built up, while Luhan probably let out his stress onto you by mistake. Maybe something happened at work? Maybe his family is still nagging him because he decided to marry you?”
“Maybe... I... I probably should go and see him again...”
“Do you want me to come with you? If you want to, both me and Chanyeol can be there to support you. Though, I think Luhan is already waiting anxiously for you. Was it last night he told you to leave and broke up with you?”
“No... It was three days ago... I have just spent my time in the city... Getting drunk and... passing out a little everywhere...”
“That explains why you looked so worn out... I bet that Luhan is already worried about you. It has been three days after all and you guys weren't on good terms last time, he saw you.”
“I guess it's time for me to go back home... Baekhyun, I... I don't know what to say to be honest. I owe you a thank you, but I'm not sure if this will work out even though I go back and talk to him. If he... If he rejects me again... I don't know if my heart will be able to handle it... I... Don't want to be without him...”
“Then tell him how you truly feel. Don't hold back and tell him exactly what you're feeling. That way, you will bring out his true feelings as well. You need to show him that it's alright to be open about your feelings and that you won't give up on your relationship so easily. Promise me that you won't back down and tell him how you honestly feel.”
“I will try. I don't know how it will end though... But... I will have to try; else it won't be any different than this. I should go, right here and now and just see him.”
“Don't you want a shower or-?”
“No, I want him to see what a mess I became without him. I have to show him what I truly feel to make him understand.”
“But Chanyeol won't be back home until-”
“I will take an Uber or something-”
“Then borrow one of our cars. Chanyeol just got a second car in case something happened with the first one. Take it, it's not like I need it anyway.”
“But, I can't just-”
“Go and get your prince back. He's waiting for you, remember?”

 

With only a moment of hesitation, Sehun finally nods to an agreement and hurry to get up. He helps him to find the car keys to the second car that is parked outside the house. He watches the young man get dressed quickly and hurries to grab the bag he brought with him. With one last nod from the taller man, he watches Sehun hurry out to the car and leave as fast as possible. He makes a mental note to tell Chanyeol that Sehun is borrowing their car before he heads back to the living room with a sigh.

 

“Showing your true feelings, huh...? Baek... You're so good at helping others... Why can't you fix yourself then...? Just let your feelings show...”

 

A sigh escapes his mouth while he settles on the couch. He grabs some of his schoolbooks to continue his studying, but it's hard to focus his concentration on studying. He scrolls through some of the pages in his math book, but only ends up lying on the couch with his books closed besides him. His eyes stare at the ceiling while his ears listen to the almost deafening silence. He can still hear the wind outside the house weakly, but everything else is rather still and peaceful. He closes his eyes for a moment, ignoring everything around him and instead focuses on himself. He listens to his breathing and his beating heart – the rhythm is slow and calming at the moment. The moment he tries to think of Chanyeol, he notices his heartbeat raising nearly right away.

 

“Lunch... I should make lunch... And prepare the dinner...”

 

With that said, he hurries to get up of the couch and walks straight to the kitchen. His mind keeps processing what he just noticed while his hands quickly grab some vegetables and a knife. He chops the vegetables easily and mindlessly. His mind is only focused on his heart beating faster whenever he sees Chanyeol's face in front of him. Whenever he remembers that bright smile, he receives every morning and how the taller man tenderly grabs his hand just to kiss it. He remembers Chanyeol's soft touch, his strangely pleasant coldness and his deep yet y voice. He can almost feel his breath his ear from just remembering his strange yet seducing whispers.

His body stops moving for a second when his eyes spots something on his left hand. Right there, on his ring finger is a metal ring that he had almost forgotten. He put it on to shut everyone up when he and Chanyeol moved here, but he never took it off again. It's like his body has already accepted his feelings and situation for him. It's only his mind that is left to struggle against everything he's feeling... His ignorance... This childish behavior... Why is he actually fighting against his heart and his feelings? Why is he trying so hard to fool everyone when it's obvious what he's feeling?

 

“I should tell him... I should tell him how I feel. Just like Sehun will tell Luhan his feelings, I should face my own insecurity. What else can I do? I'm not fooling anyone anymore. I'm just hurting myself and Chanyeol by continuing this act.”

 

He literally slams the knife down onto the cutting board before he lets out a long sigh. Why is it so easy to know what is right, but so hard to do what is right? If he tells Chanyeol how he feels about him, then everything should be fine. They can finally have a peaceful life together, actually try to start over and just enjoy their time. Even though a lot has happened, they should be able to finally settle down together and just live happily. No stress. No more scary relatives. No more emotional fights about certain memories from the past. Building trust takes time, but he believes that he actually never lost his trust for Chanyeol. He just wavered a bit, not knowing who he is or rather who Chanyeol was.

 

“Baekhyun!”

 

The sudden shout startles him as he slams the knife down, almost hitting his finger as he nearly shrieks startled. Who the hell is screaming out of nowhere?! He quickly turns around, allowing the knife drop to the working bench as he stares at the rather pale Sehun. Wait, Sehun is back? Didn't he leave for Luhan? Don't tell me he chickened out...

 

“What's wrong Sehun? You look pale-”
“It's Chanyeol!”
“C-Chanyeol...?”

 

A sudden lump forms in his stomach, something he didn't think would happen any time soon and it feels like it's making it harder to breathe. Sehun nods violently while looking a bit frantic as he hurries over to him.

 

“He called me just now! He asked me to keep an eye on you since he has to leave for Busan today! I can't go and see Luhan now! What do I do?!”

 

Relief washes over him as he nearly collapses down onto the floor for a second. The way Sehun had stared at him, and his pale face literally made it feel like something bad had happened. Chanyeol reacted so strangely yesterday when Sehun came, he couldn't help but to think that they were in danger and that something would happen. He lets a hand slide up to his chest, above his heart and feel it beat heavily and crazily. For a moment, he really did think that something terrible would happen. What if...? What if something had happened...?

 

“Alright... W-When will he be back?”
“He said maybe tonight or extremely early tomorrow morning.”
“I see... Then... Why don't we go and visit Luhan? Together.”
“Oh... But what if-?”
“I can wait in the car while you talk, so you don't have to worry about me. Or I can just go and visit my family and give you a ride. I don't need a babysitter Sehun, Chanyeol is just a bit worried that something still might happen.”
“I made a promise... I made a promise to not leave you alone. I'm staying with you.”
“Alright, but... I think we should go and see Luhan. Is that alright with you?”

 

Sehun looks to be a bit hesitant, but after a while he nods and gives him a weak smile. He can tell that Sehun isn't quite as comfortable with the idea as he is, but he's not planning to let him sit here and let Luhan and Sehun breakup because of him.

 

“I will just put this away, alright?”
“S-Sure... I will... Go and use the bathroom...”

 

He watches Sehun leave in silence which feels a bit strange and wrong. What is up with him...? He tries to ignore Sehun's strange behavior and instead puts everything away. He will make lunch later or eat something on the way – for now he should just go with Sehun and make sure that he talks to Luhan properly. He smiles for himself as he turns around and heads towards the door where Sehun should either be waiting for him or go to any time soon. To his surprise Sehun is still in the bathroom when he gets to the door, but he doesn't mind it and instead gets his shoes and jacket on. When Sehun finally shows up, he looks a bit calmer and even smiles slightly.

 

“I'm sorry, I'm taking such a long time to get ready.”
“It's alright, it's not like we're in a hurry. Besides... You're nervous about what Luhan will say after seeing you with me alone, right?”
“Am I that easy to read...?”

 

Sehun chuckles lightly and surprisingly admits everything rather quickly. He was mostly joking at first, but the way Sehun looks a bit ashamed tells him everything he needs to know. Of course, Sehun would be worried about such a thing...

 

“Don't worry, we will talk to him, and you can go in alone at first. I will be fine in the car until you two are finished. So don't mind me, I'm just a little mascot who will support you no matter what happens today.”
“Thank you... I feel stupid for worrying since Luhan isn't the jealous type...”

 

He smiles at his friend before they finally get out of the house and get ready to leave for Luhan. Hopefully, the car ride won't be too long for them so that Sehun won't start hesitating or regret going in the first place. He knows that sometimes, getting too much time to think isn't very good for you – just like it was for him when he thought too much about how he would never speak to Chanyeol again. In the end, you just start coming up with stupid ideas or excuses instead of actually taking care of the problem. Well, he could also just distract Sehun somehow and hope that Luhan is as desperate to get back together with Sehun like Sehun is.

 

***

 

“I-I can't do it... N-No... He will kick me... He will get angry... He said it was over...”
“No Sehun, you told me that he asked you to leave him alone.”
“I-It's the same thing!”
“It's not the same thing. Listen: either you go in first and talk to him or I will go. It's your choice, but I won't let you back down after searching for him the whole freaking afternoon.”

 

Sehun sighs as he slams his head against the wheel. That's right, they have been looking for Luhan the past hours. It didn't take too long to get to Luhan's and Sehun's house, but the thing is: Luhan wasn't there. They found a calendar with meetings that were planned for today, so they went to those places where Luhan should have been, but he wasn't there either. After talking with Luhan's assistant and with some friends to him, they managed to narrow it down to five hotels and this is the last one. They know that Luhan is in there and is about to have a dinner with his family – which is a problem since they hate Sehun.

 

“I understand you don't want to go in there, but if you show up and show Luhan how much he means to you, then he will definitely listen.”
“He will think I'm annoying... His father threatened to kill me if he ever sees me again... The fact that Luhan is seeing them again literally means that he has given up on us...”

 

Sehun sounds a lot more hurt than what he thought he could ever sound. He begins to look like a mess again and he's visible upset. How can he ignore someone like him...? Geez, what is he even doing? This isn't even his problem, but he can't help but to recognize himself in Sehun – he doesn't want him to be a fool like he is. With a heavy sigh he opens the car door and steps out.

 

“I will go and see him, from the distance and just see what he's up to. Alright?”
“It's over anyway... I don't care anymore...”

 

He wants to scold Sehun for giving up so easily, but he is in no place to scold him. He gave up on him and Chanyeol too easily and look what that got him. He shakes the thoughts away as he hurries to walk over to the hotel and head inside. If he doesn't recall wrong, Luhan's family name is Xí. He heads over to the fancy dining room and peeks inside in hope to not have to step inside, but a waiter quickly walks up to him and gives him a flashy smile.

 

“Good evening sir, what can I help you with today?”
“I heard my dear friend Xí Luhan is here. It's a bit urgent, so I was wondering if you have seen him.”
“Xí Luhan...? You must be talking about Oh Luhan, right?”

 

Oh...? Oh Luhan...? Did he change his last name? Then...? He can't help but to smile as he nods happily towards the waiter. The waiter gives him a soft smile as he tells him that he will inform Luhan that he's here and would like to speak to him. He remains outside the dining hall and waits for the waiter to come back, but to his surprise Luhan comes running to him and quickly grabs his both hands while staring seriously into his eyes.

 

“Is Sehun with you?! Please tell me he's with you!”
“Luhan! I'm so glad to see you! Actually... Sehun is waiting outside while sulking in the car. He... He has been really anxious the whole day and night.”
“Thank god... That idiot didn't check into any hotels or called me! I thought he literally left the country... I-Is he... angry...?”

 

Luhan gives him a worried stare, almost like he knows that he's guilty to something. Well, Sehun did mention that he suspected Luhan is cheating on him. Don't tell him that he's actually...?

 

“Luhan... Sehun didn't tell me exactly what you two were arguing about or how you ended up like this. He just said that he thought you had changed.”
“Well... Maybe... I have changed a bit... But... I didn't do anything wrong... I just... I just promised my family to work harder for them...”
“Sehun is worried about you. He's in the black car at the third parking space. Go and see him, I will wait here.”
“Hey... You look different... Did something happen to you too?”
“Not really... I just... I just realized a lot lately and I'm glad I did. I think that understanding yourself and your feelings is important, and I realized that now.”
“I see... I'm sorry, I have to go and see him. I don't want him to drive off or anything.”

 

He nods with a smile and watches Luhan give him an apologizing nod. Before he knows it, Luhan is sprinting down the hallway and causing people to glance after him almost like he's crazy. He's happy to see Luhan this worried and anxious about Sehun because that would mean their feelings are mutual. Just like he worried that something had happened to Chanyeol earlier today when Sehun stormed into the house... Does that mean...? Does that mean his feelings are mutual to Chanyeol's...? What is he even saying? He should know by now that there is definitely something mutual between them.

Suddenly, his phone begins to vibrate violently as he pulls it out of his pocket and stares at the screen. To his surprise, it's Chanyeol. Wait... It's Chanyeol... If he finds out that he's not home with Sehun, then he might get the wrong idea. But... If he already came home which he might have, then... Then he would definitely know that he's not home. Is he in trouble...?

 

“Hello...?”
“Hey, it's me.”
“H-Hi Chanyeol... You're home, aren't you?”

 

He can tell that something isn't like it should be the moment he hears Chanyeol's strange voice. There is no point in lying and pretend to be home in case Chanyeol just came home. On the other hand, if Chanyeol isn't home yet... No! If he lies and he finds out about it, their mutual trust will become weak and he gets a feeling that it will not only upset Chanyeol, but also make him extremely insecure about them. It would become annoying for him if Chanyeol would become clingy or paranoid.

 

“I thought you would be home... Where are you?”
“I took Sehun to find Luhan and help them get back together. Don't worry, they're probably busy with making out in our car while making me stand in a hotel lobby like a fool.”
“Baekhyun... You're... You're amazing... Thank you for taking care of Sehun for me.”
“Of course I will since he's one of your closest friends. Besides... They reminded me of something... A-Anyway, how are you doing? Did you finish your business in Busan?”
“Well... Sort of... In a way... Things just turned out a bit different than I thought...”

 

Chanyeol begins to sound strange on the other side on the phone. He sounds... exhausted? He can't tell, but something suddenly doesn't feel right. Could something have happened...? Why is there suddenly a strange lump in his stomach?

 

“Chen is taking me home now, so I will be back in a couple of hours. Don't wait up.”
“Is...? Is everything alright?”
“Yeah, don't worry... I'm just a bit tired... Baekhyun... I love you.”

 

For some reason, he's unable to answer Chanyeol. The words caught him of guard, and he admits, he feels a bit anxious. No, he shouldn't worry. Chanyeol is just tired and acting a bit weird which he has been doing lately. He has been pushy, clingy, and even a bit flirty the past weeks. Everything should be fine...

 

“Chanyeol... C-Come back home safe... I... I will see you later...”

 

Before he can try to say anything else, Chanyeol hangs up on the phone and leaves him speechless. He didn't even say anything back... Maybe...? Maybe he got hurt because he didn't say something like I love you too or I miss you...?

 

“Hey, Baekhyun! Guess what! We're back together again!”

 

His attention is suddenly pulled away from his thoughts and to the overly happy voice that is filling the whole lobby. Luhan sighs embarrassed besides Sehun while they walk over to him. Sehun is smiling happily and almost stupidly while Luhan is struggling to not hit his lover or blush too much.

 

“W-We never broke up in the first place! You were the one who misunderstood what I meant! Don't give everyone the wrong idea!”
“Either way, I'm glad to see you two holding hands again and talking. I was honestly a bit surprised and even worried that something more serious had happened, but it looks like everything has turned out fine.”
“Here, the keys to the car. I don't need to borrow it anymore.”
“Ah, thank you. You were in the middle of a dinner with your sister, right Luhan? You should get back to them before they get worried.”
“Well... I did promise a double date and Sehun is finally here. I'm sorry for the trouble we caused Baekhyun-ah. I will make it up for you, I promise.”
“It's alright, really. I think I gained more from this than what you would understand. I... I should go back home, Chanyeol might come back earlier than expected.”
“Tell him that we will come over and see your new house properly sometime next week.”
“I will, I promise. I look forward to see you soon again.”
“Shall we?”

 

Luhan and Sehun smile at each other while having this special look in their eyes. Love... They're in love... He can't help but to wonder: has he ever looked at Chanyeol like that? Has the taller man looked at him like that...? Is it something they just do without thinking? There are so many questions and thoughts in his head, but he doesn't want to spend his time thinking too much at the moment. He needs to get back home, make something to eat and prepare to try to cheer Chanyeol up since he sounded exhausted. For now, he will just head home and try to not let his heart get out of control.