Psycho

Chosen Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08. Psycho

"We’re in a very weird and strange relationship
We crush each other (crush each other)
And hug each other again (and then we hug again)

You got me feeling like a psycho psycho
People keep telling us that
we fight like it’s our last but then we get along again
They don’t get it, it’s not funny"
("Psycho" from 'The ReVe Festival' Finale, By Red Velvet)

A fews weeks passed and surprisingly, exchanges between Seulgi and Taeyong did not go cold and stale, unlike every other time after they shared good . 

As the sun filtered into the room, warming up the cool toned furnitures in their living space, Seulgi walked over to Taeyong  with a tie she picked out for him. 

Seulgi meticulously wrapped the tie neatly around Taeyong and his gaze glazed down her. Seulgi adjusted his ties every single work day for over four years and barely felt any embarrassment of shyness but after that spontaneous , damn, his gaze made her neck and cheeks burn when she did his tie.

Seulgi could feel Taeyong’s breath against her forehead as they stood 3 inches apart from each other. As she pressed out the slight creases over his shoulder, she looked up with a professional smile and met his eyes.

She was about to walk away but he cupped her neck and pulled her in, kissing her forehead lightly. This has happened daily and she had no idea why. It was as if, that was his new way of thanking her...

Taeyong let go of her neck after the corners of her lips curled up more. Seulgi sashayed to her dressing table and found Taeyong beside her. They both reached for their wedding rings and put it on. It became so habitual for them that it was only recently they became conscious of its weight. 

Taeyong waited for Seulgi before they closed the door behind them. As Seulgi was about to walk, Taeyong stopped her.

Seulgi turned to him quizzically, “Did we forget something?”, he shook his head

Taeyong spoke nothing for a good 10 seconds but shook his head. Seulgi waited patiently for him. Lately, he was full of surprises.

”Let’s have lunch...” Taeyong started and needed to pause. If anything he was trying to stop himself from stuttering.

“Today? Together? during our break?” Seulgi chimed in, hoping to alleviate this newfound awkwardness they had between them.

Mark who came up the stairs to find them stopped in his tracks as he saw and heard their exchanged. He immediately turned around and yeeted away.

Taeyong pretended to not see Mark and tried to be confident in his request. “Yes.”

Seulgi tucked her hair behind her ear as she looked up.  Taeyong noticed that small gesture, which he realised made her more attractive. “Sure” Seulgi nodded and avoided eye contact with him. Out of embarrassment she shuffled down the stairs with him behind her so he couldn’t see the unique blend of expressions.

They found Mark at the foot of the staircase and he turned to them, “father and mother requests that we both eat out together sith our respective partners tonight, and they have reserved two different restaurants for us.”

Taeyong and Seulgi both blinked, this was a normal request by their parents from time to time but it had been awhile and caught them off guard.

Thankfully, the couple’s inability to respond was mediated by the entrance of Herin who handed Mark his coat and working bag and greeted her brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

“I’ll get going first, I have a report to submit early.” Mark left and Herin sent him off. The couple had their breakfast as usual before making their way to the office.

Taeyong pulled the handbrake and was about to turn off the car engine after parking, when Seulgi spoke.

“Since we have to eat dinner together, it is okay if you don’t want to eat lunch together.” Seulgi avoided his eyes and showed no emotions.

“Do you want to eat lunch together?” Taeyong interjected crisply. Seulgi was slightly stunned at how Taeyong diverted the attention to her.

“Just speak your mind.” Taeyong’s chin tilted to her.

Seulgi nodded firmly before looking up. He proceeded to get out of the car, but Seulgi caught a glimpse of a small smile and she too felt herself smiling.

She wondered, deep down, why was she so compliant to him. Was it out of habit? Was it to please him? 

Her heels clicked as she walked slightly behind Taeyong to the company lift lobby.

Hours later, her heel clicks could be heard down the hallway near Taeyong’s office. Seulgi stared at his office door calmly. She did not think about the lunch at all. She did not think of him at all. No, she didn’t.

Or was her mind in the gutter the whole time?

Seulgi was fortunate that her trained professionalism did not betray her, but the hours leading to lunch was disturbed by the thought of him from time to time.

Seulgi jumped as the door in front of her bolted open and she took a step back. 

‘How did he know I was here?’

Taeyong stepped out as he button his blazer. Locking his office, he started walking and waited for Seulgi to move before they matched each other’s pace.

“If you didn’t realise, your heels make a very distinct sound across the floor.” Taeyong said as if he read her mind earlier. Suddenly, Seulgi became really conscious of heer walking and Taeyong chuckled internally.

Lunch was interesting. As Seulgi and Taeyong sat and consumed their food, they could hear comments and whispers encircling them, as if they were the spectacle of the show.

“Heol, I think it is the first time I am seeing them eating out during lunch hour.”

“Is it me or is their couple dynamic a little off than usual?”

“They’re gorgeous.”

Taeyong and Seulgi remained poised and posh, however, it was getting onto their nerves. Taeyong and Seulgi grew uncomfortable and both could see it in each others’ eyes. Taeyong watched as Seulgi hid her discomfort under her cold, unreadable demeanor. They quickly finished their food and left the as if nothing bothered them.

Seulgi automatically linked arms with Taeyong as they walked out. Taeyong noticed the cold demeanor plastered on her face as they walked down employees and colleagues.

Was it out of habit?

They entered the elevator and she watched as Taeyong gave a silent sigh. Before Taeyong could press the floor numbers to their respective offices, Seulgi held out her arm to stop him.

Checking her watch, she turned to him. “I would like to bring you to a place.”

Taeyong popped his head quizzically as she pressed a floor number that he would never press.

As the lift doors opened, Seulgi gently tugged his wrist and pulled him along. 

They stepped out and was greeted by the sunlight and green foliage. They weren’t at the rooftop but a small, outdoor alcove, surprisingly well-kept.

Seulgi rummaged for a watering can and proceeded to water plants that needed more regular watering. Taeyong was stunned, he never chanced upon this place before.

“It’s a little project of mine, since four years ago.” she said and Taeyong turned his attention back to her.

“This tree has already been here, along with these creepers and morning glories.” Seulgi introduced to him. “and every week I would come here and plant something different.”

“This was my safe haven, away from the stress and work and the pretense.” Seulgi spoke carefully.

“And me?” Taeyong uttered and made eye contact. Seulgi looked away and refused to answer. Taeyong looked

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter