Clickbait

Chosen Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 05. Clickbait. 

Seulgi scribbled her signature for the umpteenth time that day before adding the document on the tower of files beside her. She proceeded to check her never-ending emails that only doubled over the past month, as Mark left her department to understudy his new position and some of her best employees were on leave.

She hit her pager an attempted to call for her secretary to help her pass the files.

“Hello?” Taeyong’s voice boomed as he looked up from the report he was going to present on. Donghae’s voice ran through his head and Taeyong nodded and noted it on the scraps of paper beside him.

Ending the call efficiently, he donned his blazer, grabbed his tablet and materials and left his office. As he walked, he processed the information relayed to him.

His thoughts paused as he heard the familiar stiletto clicks from a distance away. They produced a harsh staccato and Taeyong looked up to see Seulgi with a good number of folders in her hands and she was barely holding up.

‘Where’s her secretary?’ Taeyong thought instinctively and in annoyance. ‘That’s not her job.’ But what could they do, they were all understaffed and overworked. No one was to blame. It has been a rough month.

He walked towards her and took more than half the files from her hands. Seulgi, lost in thought and caught off guard, let go the rest of the folders she had and tripped backwards.

Taeyong dropped instantly the folders and proceeded to catch her and stabilise her. Seulgi blinked in surprise as she felt his warmth. His hands let go only when he felt her stand up. She thanked her husband, who was gathering the folders in manageable piles for each of them.

“Hurry, I have to prepare for the meeting later.” Taeyong said stoically and Seulgi took her share of folders and briskly walked and he followed.

This was only one of the few moments they shared in the past one month. Seulgi sighed and Taeyong shook his head As they both thought, ‘why is the wedding being rushed?’

After the files were deposited and another hour passed, it was time for a meeting.

Seulgi took a swig of her coffee and blinked hard, as her fingers typed at breakneck speed. She was always the note taker when he presented. She could always ask for his speaker notes but she never once asked. But her notes never fail to take Taeyong by surprise — her notes always encapsulated whatever he said. Secretly, Taeyong was always very proud of her.

Comments such as “It must be easier to take notes for your husband because you could always get his speaker notes and script.”, was always exchanged here and there, and it always infuriated Seulgi. So happened that today’s meeting was no exception.

Seulgi snapped her laptop shut and glared daggers at this manager. It was the end of the meeting and many have left.

“No, I do not take his speakers notes. Don’t discredit my efforts.” She gritted her teeth and stood up. Her expression remained impeccably cold but Taeyong could feel the aura around her change. 

He continued packing as she stormed past this manager. It became Taeyong’s turn to stare down at him. Before Taeyong could even speak, this manager bowed and apologized before scurrying out.

This busyness at work did not scare Taeyong’s busy night life and Seulgi was too darn overworked to give a hoot about it; but deep down she knew it affected her.

Those nights she spent tossing and turning, til she could see the crack of dawn, til she felt the mattress sinking on the other side of the bed. Until she could smell his distinct scent beside her. Was it habitual?

She chose not to do anything and kept it inside. She told herself, ‘He does not need more trouble than this’ and pretended to sleep.

One night, the door knob rattled loudly, jolting her out of her position. That was unusual. She hopped off the bed as Taeyong entered in a drunken stupor and stood before her. He was surprised she was awake. He, in his drunken state, could still remember she wasn’t too light a sleeper.

Swatches of shades of red around his neck, a feminine fragrance wafting around him, juxtaposing the strong alcohol scent coming from him. Seulgi crossed her arms and huffed.

Seulgi held back the urge to slap him and offered a cold stare. He held her gaze shortly before lowering it at her feet.

“Why do you stay? How do you stay?”

Taeyong’s voice croaked and this shattered the icy look on her face. That tension in Seulgi’s jaw remained as she fought back her tears. She stepped closer and tilted his head up to look at her. Her hand subconsciously caressed his cheek.

For a good moment, Taeyong felt so disgusted at himself for doing what he did, and even found it hard to hold his gaze. Taeyong didn’t expect that subtle tenderness from her.

“That’s up for you to figure out.” Seulgi said before letting go and walking away, her silk nightgown delicately shifting with the curves of her figure. She pulled the covers over and heard Taeyong heading for the bathroom.

By the time Taeyong scrubbed off the swatches and intoxicating scent, he was sober and as he walked closer to the bed, he looked at her still figure. He felt a tear roll down his cheek as he saw the tear streaks framing her cheeks.

Seulgi and Taeyong sat in their car as they followed behind the extravagant car, which Donghae and Jessica were in. 

The wedding was in a week, it was time for all of them to get their custom-fitted outfits.

“We’ll leave you two to be” Jessica and Donghae said before walking away to their private dressing rooms.

Seulgi was about to wordlessly walk off when her usual dresser came up to her. “Ms Seulgi, I’m sorry to inform you but you and Mr Taeyong will be sharing the same dressing room. We have quite a huge inflow of clients to day. I hope its alright.”

“It’s fine. She can try on hers first.” Taeyong quickly said and the dresser ushered Taeyong to a seat, right in front of the changing room.

Seulgi said nothing and proceeded to try on dresses. Taeyong waited as his eyes traced the curtains of the changing room

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter