Little Little

Chosen Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

15. Little Little

"When every little thing of you
Builds up inside of me
My heart gets more busy
The sky dazzles
As if it doesn’t know the dark night
I can’t sleep at the thought of you

Give a little little more love
Give a little little more time
Little things about you
Are so big to me
The wind blows past my cheeks
My heart churns because of you
It keeps softly blowing
You shake up my world"
('Little Little' from ROOKIE, The 4th Mini Album By Red Velvet)

“Nothing informative was mentioned. It’s as if the email sent out was fake.” Herin remarked as she put her coffee down. Mark followed up. “Donghae didn’t divulge much too and Taeyong and Seulgi looked like they picked up something fishy but they’re not going to jump to conclusions just yet.” They shared equally exasperated yet curious reactions.

“But is your line of work affected?” Mark asked, concerned but she shook her head. “I do notice them giving me more important and bigger projects to write on and produce. It’s starting to get stressful but I do love some good challenge." Mark smiled encouragingly at her before looking at his watch.

“I have to get back to work soon. Do you need to go to your office?” Mark asked and Herin shook her head. “If you don’t mind, I can work in your office.” Mark had a smile on and nodded holding hands with her. Little did they know they were photographed by some paparazzis.

The next few days, articles accusing Mark being of lazy and skiving during working hours were circulated around.

“YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!”

Mark dragged his palms down his face after he read the various headlines Seulgi and Taeyong showed him. “I was on my lunch break with Herin that day! I just wanted to make sure that she was fine! She does not need to work in her office to get things done! I wasn’t skiving! This is blown out of proportion!” Mark cried out defensively and the older couple shook their heads in disapproval.

“We know you’re not skiving. But the public doesn’t always want to think of the Lees as hardworking, just to make them feel a little bit better about themselves.” Taeyong said and Mark slumped onto his office table.

“You’re the rising face of the company. They are out to get you, this is just a snippet.” Seulgi said and suddenly his office door burst open and Mark physically braced himself the moment he saw Donghae.

Donghae was close to yelling but stopped when he saw his eldest son and daughter-in-law looking at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Mark,” Donghae adjusted his tone, “I’m not going to scold you.”

‘Oh yes, you definitely had that intention.’ Seulgi, Taeyong and Mark thought in unison together as Donghae paused.

“You have to be more careful in public especially during work hours because many companies are looking for loopholes to taint our reputation!” Donghae said and Mark eased up, slightly disturbed by this point of contention Donghae brought up. 

“I know in a business sense, companies will always be competitive. But what good is reputation if it is reliant on is people, and if the company and its services and products can’t justify that reputation?” Mark questioned and Taeyong immediately had a smirk on. “Dont go shooting your mouth off when you caused these headlines to appear, Mark. I don’t appreciate that reasoning for you.”

“Mark isn’t wrong, father.” Seulgi and Taeyong said together and Donghae turned to the both of them. “I don’t need definace from you two either. Both of you know how to conduct yourself all these years, impart it to Mark. I’ll get our legal and publishing team to settle this. Next time, you’re dealing this on your own.” As soon as he said his piece, he stormed out. 

“He’s never going to admit that this company’s substance and foundations are filmsy and almost non-existent.” Taeyong commented and Mark was slightly surprised. “Hyung, what are you saying?”

“Father’s basis of business and running the company aren’t optimal. I think it’s a good thing that you recognised that for yourself earlier.” Taeyong added a subtly praise for Mark. “But father is correct too, we have to be careful.”

Just then Herin scuttled in with a disguise and Mark did not recognise her until he saw her necklace. “Herin, you went blonde?” Seulgi exclaimed, very impressed, “The last time I went blonde, it was way before I got married.” Taeyong threw a sharp look piqued with interest to Seulgi who was grinning as she reminisced those days she could do whatever she wanted.

“You look different...but still great!...but woah...” Mark became slightly flustered, much to the amusement of Taeyong and Seulgi.

“I was stressed by work and this nonsensical headlines but I didn’t want to cut my hair.” Herin said and was almost close to a breakdown. “No one told me that marrying into this family brought so much stress!” She replied and they all empathised with her. Mark approached her and patted her back. “Neither did I...”

“We’ll leave you two be. We’ll make sure things are under control.” Taeyong said and left with Seulgi, their shoulders feeling heavier than ever.

—————

“No, this won’t do.” Taeyong said with his arms crossed over his chest. He had been standing at the same spot for a few minutes watching his wife doing work in their bedroom. Seulgi looked up from her laptop to him standing a few feet away. She remained hunched over the small coffee table as she blinked at the sudden comment.

“What won’t do?” She asked, clearly confused. “Your current workspace at home.” Taeyong said. “I’m a flexible worker, Taeyong. I didn’t have a desk for a period of time when I was a student. This is fine.” She added and turned back to her laptop. “Kang Seulgi, may I remind you that you’re pregnant, and I don’t think that posture is good for your already, squashed-up organs.” 

“Lee Taeyong, may I remind you that I don’t have a study like you do?” Seulgi retorted coolly and suddenly Taeyong went silent. She stole a glance to see his stunned figure and didn’t bother him. Within seconds, he took her latop and notes in one hand while his other hand reached for her arm. “Get up.”

“Be a little more gentle, mister. Where are we going!” Seulgi said as she just ended following Taeyong to his own study room. “You will share this study with me. We’re working together more closely now. You need to keep up. And I can’t spend too much time massaging your shoulders daily just because you’re hunched over like that. Also, I think separating your home workspace from the bedroom is more conducive.”

“What?” she exclaimed as they reached his study. “Firstly, I keep up just fine. Secondly, there isn’t much space on your table or an extra chair,” Seulgi pointed out before continuing. “Thirdly, whoever said you needed to massage me? Also, is this just excuse so that you can be closer to me?” she asked. Taeyong looked up at her and immediately took out his phone. “Hi, this is Lee Taeyong, I need a comfortable office chair and a storage cabinet for my study as soon as possible, send the bill to me. Thanks.”

Seulgi blinked, clearly stunned. “Who did you just call? Since when can you do that?!” 

“Always. We’re the Lee family afterall, we have people who run menial errands for us too. I just don’t see the benefit of using that privilege constantly. Back to the main topic. Your reasons aren’t problems anymore. You’ll just use the opposite side of my desk. And for your third reason, don’t deprive me the opportunity of being a good husband as you wished.”

“Finally, I don’t need excuses to be close to my wife.” Taeyong whispered into her ear and she almost shuddered. She was clearly not used to this Taeyong even though she adapted to people quickly.

She sc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter