In & Out

Chosen Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

06. In & Out

"I want to be with you
I want to make you angry
My feelings change so much
I don't know what I want
I like you
I miss you
You're netering and leaving my heart
Over and over again"
("In & Out" from 'The ReVe Festival' Finale, By Red Velvet)

“Father, Mother!” Two voices resounded and 4 people looked up from the plates. Cutleries remained still in their hands as two exuberant characters walked into the dining hall.

“Mark, Herin! Back from your 2 week honeymoon already!” Jessica said as and clapped her hands excitedly. Donghae stood up and patted both their backs in welcome.

“Did you guys have fun?” Seulgi said casually and Taeyong giggled with a smirk. Donghae and Jessica kept quiet large grins were plastered on their faces.

“Hey, Seulgi, we did have fun, but it’s not the ’fun’ I’m pretty sure my brother and parents are driving at.” Mark said casually and a tinge of pink graced Herin’s face, surprised at how open the family is.

“Let’s not put our newest family member in a spot.” Jessica said. “I mean Taeyong and Seulgi did had that kind of-“

Seulgi choked on her bun while Taeyong spat his water out. Donghae chuckled as he handed them fresh napkins. Taeyong’s hand absent-mindedly gave sturdy pats on Seulgi’s back to alleviate her choke.

“Father!” Taeyong cried and Seulgi was as red as her lipstick. Mark and Herin stifled their laughs.

“I’m still waiting for some proof of your marriage!” Jessica said jokingly and motion in mid air a pregnant belly.

Seulgi and Taeyong huffed and resumed eating. While Jessica ushered Mark and Herin to their rooms.

“Everything has been set up as planned and a few boxes of your items have arrived, if you need any help you can always call the housekeeper.” Jessica said warmly and Herin smiled.

Jessica left the two in Mark’s newly-refurnished room and shut the door behind her. Herin wasted no time and started unpacking the boxes and Mark automatically assisted her.

“To be honest, I’m so not used to this extravagance or this level of extra.” Herin said to Mark as she turned to face him, after slotting her clothes in.

“It just feel so surreal and unfamiliar...” Herin said and look down at her wedding ring.

“Cheer up, buttercup, you’re not alone” Mark said as his hands came into Herin’s view, lacing it with hers. “We’ll get through this successfully, unscathed and thriving.”

Herin smiled and a pause of silence stood around them. Suddenly their heads turned to the bed. “Oh, we could set boundaries if you ain’t comfortable..” Mark said awkwardly and Herin chuckled at how cute he was being awkward.

“Although we did that during the trip, I don’t see the need. You have my trust. Thank you for being thoughtful and conscientious.” Herin said and flashed her biggest smile as Mark smiled shyly.

“Can I hug you?”

Mark looked up and blinked at her. ‘Okay, this is still a little weird’, the newlyweds thought simultaneously.

Mark stepped forward with open arms and he felt her arms wrapping comfortably around him. Mark took a whiff of her scent and brought her head close to him.

“There is something so comforting about your hug. You don’t ever have to ask that question again alright.”

Herin nodded as she relished in his warmth.

—————

"Herin ah, I’m going to be promoted” Mark recalled telling Herin this, as he flipped through the documents he need to read before the promotion.

Mark could faintly feel the warmth of her hands that he didn’t realise he was smiling.

“uwah, I’m happy for you.” Mark remembered Herin‘s reassuring gaze. Mark closed the file and put on his tie.

Mark heard the pager on his desk beep and gave a quick response. Checking his appearance one last time, he left briskly to the venue. He was joined by Taeyong and Seulgi who exchanged no words. The click of their shoes only echoed dominantly across the floor.

It was today that Mark was promoted in front of the shareholders, directors, managers. It was a big thing.

Seulgi stole muliple glances at Taeyong. Seulgi gulped, knowing that deep down, Taeyong was dreadful, he knew this time was going to come, but he just never felt ready.

Throughout the whole ceremony, Taeyong remained still and quiet as he watched Seulgi emceeing and Mark being conferred his new title. Taeyong joined the audience and applause but he could only feel a hollow beating in his chest.

As soon as the promotion was over, Taeyong made a beeline for his office and even Seulgi could not catch up with him. Seulgi came face with the sturdy door of his office and stared hard as she felt a flurry of emotions for herself and for him.

Little did she know, Taeyong sat with his back against the door, staring at his hands. His knees. His shoes. His eyes then trailed to the photo frame on the coffee table, of him and Seulgi that his mother insisted on putting.

He shook his head; nothing was working out. ‘So what, if I am good at my job?’

Seulgi’s hand hovered in front of the door not knowing whether to knock. She sighed and shook her head before returning to her own office, exasperated.

Taeyong’s eyes opened suddenly as he heard the clicks growing distant and his eyes flitted back to the photo frame.

Hours later, Seulgi and Taeyong were back in the car.

“Did you eat your meals, Taeyong?” Seulgi asked in the car as they knocked off from work. Taeyong said nothing but only accelerated the car.

The moon was high in the sky embellished by the stars. It was late at night, yet they chose to remain in the office, so that they need not lay side by side on their king size bed too long.

Seulgi knew Taeyong did not exit his office until she saw him at the car park. She remembered his secretary’s messgae.

Seulgi looked at her husband once, more and could only sigh. It was pointless asking again.

Taeyong’s eyes shifted to her, he hoped she would ask him again. But she shut her eyes and dozed off. It has been a long day.

—————

Mark entered his room and Herin looked up from her work. She stood up and lunged at him with her arms wide open.

“Woah!” Mark was shocked and fought to keep his balance.

“Congratulations!” Herin said excitedly and Mark ruffled her hair.

“But Herin”, Mark said as he pulled apart slightly locking eyes with her, “I’m thankful you’re so supportive but, this position means that we might have less time together-“

“That’s fine, Mark! We can always make time to strengthen our relationship. All about that work-life balance that just needs to be regulated!” Herin said positively and Mark nodded.

‘Yahhh, I’m smiling way too much with her. Help.’ Mark thought as he felt the muscles on his cheek pull up again.

‘It can’t be...or can it?’ Mark thought as Herin released him gently before pouring him a cup of water.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter