EIGHT

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Meeting

 

 

 


 

"Why can I not be here?" The man, or prince Yugyeom, pulled on Shinhwa's hair and forced her to lean on him, his other hand tapping the table with long slender fingers. A sly smile crept across his face as he stared at his older brother with some sort of contempt in his eyes. Mingyu snarled, but Taehyung kept his grip firm, his face expressionless as he studied Yugyeom, his body drawn taut like a bow. Yugyeom would not venture out of the palace and leave his without good reason.

"Do not avoid the question, Yugyeom," Taehyung murmured, his voice quiet, but carrying around the room with an air of authority. "I know you too well for you to try tricks like that."

"Well, if you put it like that..." Yugyeom tilted his head and ran his hand up Shinhwa's side, the girl shivering but not daring to pull away. Taehyung shifted slightly, pushing his hair out of his eyes and pulling on Mingyu's arm, placing himself between his two younger siblings. "Did mother send you?" Yugyeom looked up, surprised. Taehyung narrowed his eyes.

"Why, yes, how did you know?" Taehyung felt sickened by his brother's oily smile. Yugyeom was an expert actor, but Taehyung knew his ways, and so did Mingyu, who was struggling to escape Taehyung's hold on him, trembling with restrained rage. Mingyu hated his older brother with a normally unseen passion, and Taehyung understood his reasons, but that was no reason to act brashly. Yugyeom had the power of their eldest brother behind him, and they had to step carefully. Yugyeom was Namjoon's favorite, and Namjoon was their father's favorite.

"Why did she send you?" Taehyung willed his face to remain impassive. He didn't need Yugyeom sniffing out anything...... Unusual.

"She mentioned a certain lady, and she wanted me to check on her and see that she does not get harmed by the two of you," Yugyeom smiled, running a hand through Shinhwa's long tresses, unbound behind her back as he had demanded earlier. "I have not seen her yet, but I hear she is of astounding beauty, the Black Rose." Taehyung felt a flow of icy fury run through him, but he pressed it down, hoping it didn't show on his face. Mingyu thrashed, Taehyung closing his eyes and focusing all his strength on the hand that held Mingyu.

"Jiyeon will never look at you like you are something of worth," Mingyu growled, baring his teeth. "She will not bend before you like all the others."

"Ah, so her name is Jiyeon, is it not?" Yugyeom grinned toothily, and Taehyung noticed Shinhwa flinch, like his hand had gone somewhere wrong. Yugyeom was famed for his taste in women, but all the servants knew what went on behind closed doors, the verbal abuse and the physical injuries. Many a time had the healers rushed to Yugyeom's private chambers only to find the prince gone, a weeping woman bruised and hurt all over left alone in the bedchamber. Many a time had Taehyung watched his brother take women to his rooms with promises of wealth and pleasure, and leave them after he was done. Oh, he knew of his brother's naturally cruel streak, his tendency to misuse.

Mingyu gritted his teeth, knowing he had unintentionally given Yugyeom another piece of information. The fourth prince had never come to the Jeons' estate before, had never met Jiyeon before, but now he was here, and Taehyung knew when he saw the girl, he would want her for his own. It was unlikely Jiyeon would go willingly, but he had to make sure Jiyeon knew of this threat, and that she would at least put up a fight. Lady Jiyeon was cunning, and she could lie her way out of any sticky situation, he was sure.

"Where is she, on this fine night?" Yugyeom mused, cocking an eyebrow at Taehyung. "Does my hyung have anything to do with that?" Clearly he had noticed Taehyung slight breathlessness and his windswept hair. Taehyung stared back coldly, not betraying anything.

"Well, I guess I will have to find out," Yugyeom got up, shoving Shinhwa away roughly. "I wish to retire for the night."

And with that, Yugyeom vanished into his rooms, and Shinhwa was left standing there, obviously shaken but still giving orders to the servants, commanding them to complete their usual jobs and rest for the night. Taehyung admired her steel.

Before Shinhwa left the room, she passed by Taehyung's side, and Taehyung grabbed her arm, whispering in her ear, "Warn your lady, and keep her as far as you can from this place." Shinhwa nodded tersely, striding off confidently. Taehyung pursed his lips, watching as the sanggung disappeared.

You will not touch them, Yugyeom.

Both of them.

 

 

"No," Jungkook was adamant. "I wil not consent to having myself locked up and having all my weapons confiscated." Jungkook crossed his arms, stubbornness written all over his face. Shinhwa sighed, looking away but motioning to the manservant standing outside the room. The man walked in, snatching Jungkook's bow and taking it away. Jungkook roared, trying to run and get his bow back, but Sooyoung held him back, and he was helpless as he watched the weapon being taken away. Shinhwa frowned at him, obviously disappointed. 

"I thought you knew better than to act this brashly, lady," Shinhwa said, her voice cold. "You will not leave the house without proper next time, and you will never head into the forest again. The guards will watch over you, at all times, and there will be no exceptions." Shinhwa turned to leave, her posture stiff. "I am sorry for this, my lady, but this is a necessary precaution."

"I hear there is a new guest in the house, Shinhwa," Jungkook was furious, but he remained levelheaded, a calm mask. "Who is it? Does he have any connection to my sudden imprisonment?" Shinhwa blanched, her eyes widening as she turned to look at Jungkook. "There is something you are hiding."

"It is prince Yugyeom." Shinhwa sounded absolutely petrified. "All three youngest princes are present in this house, something very big must have happened if they are here like this. It should be impossible, as prince Mingyu hates his older brothers!"

Wait, hates? Jungkook was bewildered. Mingyu hated his older brothers? But then he didn't seem to hate...

Of course, Taehyung had to be an exception. But that didn't explain why Jungkook needed his weapons taken away a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter