FOURTEEN

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Courts

 

 

 

 

 

Jungkook was sitting calmly on the woven mat inside the glorious pavillion with Shinhwa, sighing as he twisted the ends of his silky raven hair boredly. It had been days without any sign or notice from all the princes, including Mingyu and Taehyung. Jungkook was about to go out of his mind with boredom. Shinhwa was embroidering a new hanbok for Jungkook, silver thread creating elaborate patterns on green cloth that shone in the sunlight.

"Shinhwa," Jungkook moaned, resisting the urge to roll onto his back, spread-eagled. "Is there something I can do other that wasting time here? I wann go ride Twilight, I wanna shoot, I wanna practise, please?"

"No," Shinhwa replied curtly. "It would be wise to keep a low profile after your accidental revealings at the royal dinner, and especially now that you are prince Taehyung's personal attendant. He may have not called for you for a few days, but that does not mean you are dismissed. This will only be temporary."

"But I'm bored," Jungkook whined like a kid, pouting and kicking his not really long legs out on the smooth marble of the pavillion. The sunbeams fell through the branches of the trees like bold rays, golden pillars striking the fresh grass unwaveringly, and birds chirped merrily with insects, but Jungkook just want to get out of here. He understood now, why Mingyu always left this place when he could.

This place was a gilded, golden cage with only the barest of bars.

Jungkook tossed his hair, missing his old hair, cropped short with nothing like these heavy bangs he had now, and tried to mop away the sweat beading his brow discreetly. Shinhwa hated it when he wiped sweat with his hand instead of his handkerchief, but right now it felt so stifling Jungkook found himself lazy to move towards the cloth lying beside Shinhwa innocently.

A boom sounded from afar, and both of them shot up, Jungkook rushing over to the tall hedge to see the grand procession making its way towards the entrance of the palace, huge drums beaten by muscular drummers with arms that looked (unfortunately) like caterpillars and bodies like bodybuilders, a huge carriage in the middle of everything, glintig golden in the bright sun. Rows of old-looking men marched in front along with soldiers on horseback, but their robes and armor were like nothing Jungkook had ever seen before in Silla.

"Goguryeo is here," Shinhwa's soft whisper nearly made Jungkook scream, it was so sudden. "The second most powerful countrybehind Silla, and the one with the biggest army. They're here."

"What would that mean for us?" Jungkook was curious. "What about Go- whatever it was again?"

Shinhwa was gathering her embroidery and her things panickedly, waving at Jungkook to hurry. 'Come, Jiyeon, we cannot be seen when they arrive, and we must get you ready. If prince Taehyung sends for you tonight, then you must appear at your best, and not as a servant. Come!

Jungkook shrugged, and followed.

 

 

As Shinhwa predicted, Taehyung did send for him that night, and sent a small note with a summons to his personal chambers. Jungkook knew Goguryeo was an important part of Korean history, but he just couldn't recall what he had been taught in those high school history lessons, and he had a feeling he didn't really want to know.

Damn those history classes! Jungkook thought as he made his way towards Taehyung's room at the very end of the hallway. Why was I always sleeping in class?

He knocked on the solid wooden door loudly, letting down his skirts and crossing his arms impatiently. He hoped he didn't need to go to the banquet tonight, he wanted to sleep after all the ruckus of the afternoon. He was still bored.

The door opened with the barest creak, and Taehyung raised his eyebrow at Jungkook, indicating the room. His hair was unbound like the first time they met in the gardens of Jungkook's old home, dark brunette locks tumbling down his bare chest. Jungkook looked the built body up and down, concluding that Taehyung would have been the same size as his old body and maybe a little more muscled. Taehyung wasn't bulky like Jungkook, but leaner, and taller. Jungkook curtseyed, barely.

"Like what you see?" Jungkook snorted when Taehyung asked. Sure, he was impressed, but not really, not when it was just another male body. He had his own to ogle every day before he came here, but now.....

Maybe Taehyung's body was kinda nice to look at.

"It's okay, I guess," Jungkook shrugged, walking over to the table at the dresser and sitting down. "Anything you need me to do?" Taehyung chuckled, walking over to a robe hung up and pulling it on. "You know, basic respect is the least I deserve, as a prince."

"I did respect you!" Jungkook protested indignantly. "I curtseyed!"

"Well, I did not see it." Taehyung motioned at him to come over. "Help me tie the sash." Jungkook obeyed, pulling at the long, midnight black sash and tied it like how Shinhwa did for Mingyu, pulling it taut around Taehyung's firm body. The peach colored hanbok hugged Taehyung well, his broad shoulders looking wider than ever. Jungkook took the sword scabbard on the table, lifting it with some difficulty, and strapped it around Taehyung, pulling at his collar and and straightening it.

"You look good," Jungkook was about to step back and admire his work when he felt Taehyung's arms slide around his waist, pulling him in for a deep kiss. It was the first time they had talked seriously aft

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter