FOUR

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Prince

 

 

 

 

 

Jungkook heard the unearthly howls coming from behind, and he turned Twilight, his senses on high alert. Twilight was pawing the ground, snorting. The bushes rustled, and Jungkook tensed.

Something's not right.

Jungkook swiveled in Twilight's saddle, his bow loaded and ready to fire at a moment's notice. If he was in his own body, the bow wouldn't be this hard to lift, but he didn't have a choice. At least it wasn't too heavy.

A rustle of leaves on the other side, and Jungkook aimed for the bushes, his whole body tense. Twilight was shuffling around nervously, having sensed something, but not really scared and running off, probably due to his training. Warhorses were not supposed to escape a fight, no matter what. Jungkook understood that.

And when the first wolf, hungry for blood, had burst into the clearing, Jungkook didn't hesitate to fire. The arrow went straight into the eye of the wolf, the huge creature stumbling and crashing to the ground, dead. Another couple dashed out, leaping over the corpse of their fallen comrade and snapping aggressively at Twilight's fleeing heels.

"Go, boy!" Jungkook snapped the reins, Twilight taking off at a full gallop, the howls of the wolves echoing behind them. The trees flew past as Twilight ran, Jungkook holding on for dear life as Twilight leaped and dodged trees, sounds of pursue coming from behind. Jungkook steered Twilight to the edge of the forest, grateful that he'd placed marks to lead them back out if thy got lost. A wolf sprang out from the underbrush beside them, Jungkook taking it down with an arrow used as a dagger. 

"Hurry!" Jungkook's braid snapped behind his head, and Jungkook wished he'd brought a helmet with him. The armor was dirty and old, but hopefully it could take a few strikes before the wolves got them.

Twilight burst out of the forest, Jungkook turning and firing his arrow at the last wolf who had dared to follow, killing it. Twilight suddenly skidded to a halt, and Jungkook as nearly thrown off the saddle.

What is he doing here?

Prince Mingyu held a sword to Jungkook's throat, smiling wickedly.

"You have a lot to explain, Lady Jiyeon." Mingyu said, his guards surrounding Jungkook and Twilight in a tight circle, leaving no path for escape. Jungkook gritted his teeth, gripping his bow.

.

 

"Who are you?" Mingyu punched the wall, a resounding crack echoing through the room. "Tell me the truth!"

"I am Jiyeon. That is all I can say." After being thoroughly searched and begrudgingly admitted that he was indeed Jiyeon, Mingyu was furious, thinking he was still an imposter. Well, the body was Jiyeon's, but he wasn't Jiyeon exactly.

"You are not Jiyeon," Mingyu snapped, crossing his arms and circling Jungkook. "The Lady Jiyeon I know does not ride like you do, she does not fight like you do, and she has never held a bow in her life. You are not she, so who are you?"

"I am Jiyeon," it wasn't like Mingyu could have another explanation. He was, in every way, logically and technically, Jeon Jiyeon, and Mingyu couldn't argue against that. Even the servants had said that Jiyeon had never left the place, and that she was under constant supervision. Until now, that is.

Jungkook sighed, twiddling his thumbs. "You have no proof that I am not Jiyeon. You cannot throw me in jail because of some strange suspicion that I am an imposter. The doctor has said as much, and you cannot do anything, your highness, so why bother?"

"I want my friend back," Mingyu snarled. "The Lady Jiyeon I knew was soft-spoken and sweet, not poisonous like you are. I will not stand for this."

"But that Jiyeon is dead," Jungkook meant that figuratively. "I am Jiyeon, and that is a fact you cannot change."

Mingyu's eyes softened. "Then I would do better if I befriended you."

"That is true," Jungkook shrugged, sipping at the cooled tea in his cup. "Am I allowed to leave?"

"No," Jungkook cocked an eyebrow. "Walk with me in the gardens."

"Of course," Jungkook was surprised at the request. He hadn't expected this. "Shall we?"

"I believe that is what I, as a man, am supposed to say," Mingyu joked, extending his arm. "Come."

Jungkook stared at him, unsure of what to do. Why would he-

Oh.

I'm supposed to take it. Jungkook recalled the old soaps his mother used to watch, and a wave of longing for his home flooded up. He pushed it down and smiled at the prince, taking his arm.

Mingyu grinned at him, and led him out of the room to the garden, Jungkook following, his arms twisted at an awkward angle. He had never been one to hold other people's arms before, he has always been the one whose arm was being held. Well, there's a first time for everything.

"I'm just thinking that, maybe, just maybe, we could be great friends," Mingyu was staring at him with a sort of curiosity. "I see that you have an ambition, and you are going to stop at nothing to achieve it. I can understand that, and we can help each other out."

"You cannot help me, your highness," Jungkook replied coldly, looking away and pulling his arm back. "There is nothing you can do."

"But then, we share the same traits," Mingyu tried again, clasping Jungkook's shoulder. "I need a real friend outside of the court, and my brothers are a bunch of scheming foxes. I need a friend, a confidante, and you are perfect for the role of one."

"I don't see why," Jungkook's tone was frosty. "Why me, of all people? There must be many ladies vying for your attention, so why choose me? I am no delicate thing to woo with sweet words and then discard after you have finished with me."

"Because I see that you, of your many traits, have sincerity," Jungkook met Mingyu's eyes, and saw the genuine warmth. "The women of the court only want power and money, and you want none of those, so I know I can trust you. And by how you defended yourself against the wolves, you are not a princess who needs a hero."

"How do you know about the wolves?" Jungkook's eyes narrowed, his hands balling into fists. "You sent them, didn't you?" He accused.

"I wanted to see if you were really Jiyeon and not an imposter," technically Jungkook was an imposter. "But you are not, and that is case solved."

"You don't trust me," Mingyu smiled at that, taking Jungkook's hand. Jungkook resisted the urge to flinch away, instead maintaining a strong eye contact with the prince, narrowing his eyes. Mingyu laughed.

"Who would I be if I trusted you completely on our first meeting?" Jungkook smiled at that, pulling his hand away and wiping it gingerly on his skirt. Mingyu didn't seem to notice. "Besides that, call me Mingyu, and not 'your highness'."

"Agreed," Jungkook nodded his head. Perhaps he could benefit from this alliance, or friendship, as Mingyu called it. Perhaps.

But he didn't miss the sneaky smile that ghosted over Mingyu's handsome face when he turned to leave.

 

 

"There is another convoy arriving," Shinhwa announced the following night, Jungkook and his handmaidens listening attentively. "His royal highness believes it is government officials come to check on the lands, but we have no idea who it is, so prepare our finest meals and the most lavish rooms. Being extra will not cost us too much.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter