TWELVE

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Dinner

 

 

 

 

 

When Taehyung finally pulled away, Jungkook felt like a fish floundering for air, his face completely stunned and flushed redder than a tomato. Taehyung laughed lowly, brushing his fingertips across Jungkook's cheek. "How did that feel?"

"Amazing," was all Jungkook managed to say as Taehyung ran his fingers through Jungkook brunette locks, left in a long ponytail down his back. Taehyung pulled Jungkook closer, and kissed his forehead. "What-" Jungkook trailed off when Taehyung tilted his chin, looking deeply into his eyes. "Who are you, truly?"

"You're still not over that, are you?" Jungkook stifled his laugh. "I doubt that you will even believe me." 

"I have seen many things, do not underestimate me," Taehyung laughs, nestling Jungkook's head against his chest as Jungkook sighs, a soft, almost inaudible sound that had Taehyung hold him tighter. Jeongguk tried to relax, but he just couldn't bring himself to reveal the truth to Taehyung, because if he did, then Taehyung might think he was crazy, or leave him even.

And he doesn't want to risk that.

"Someday, maybe," Jungkook sighed, leaning his head on Taehyung's chest. "For now, I'm Jiyeon, and that's a fact."

Taehyung didn't reply, but Jungkook could sense his annoyance, and he hoped that this was the right choice, not saying anything.

 

 

"The King wants you to go to the throne room immediately," Jungkook entered her room only to see Mingyu and Shinhwa turning the room upside down, looking desperately for something. Shinhwa looked her up and down, and when Mingyu tapped her shoulder, holding up a hanbok the color of a wine-red brocade. she nodded firmly. "Excellent. Jiyeon, get dressed, we have an audience with the king."

Jungkook coughed pointedly when Mingyu didn't even react, passing the dress to Jungkook calmly. "Excuse me?"

"Oh,"Mingyu flushed red, hurrying into the small tearoom next door and pulling the curtain securely. "I apologize, Jiyeon." Jungkook raised a pointed eyebrow at the curtain, and Shinhwa sighed. "He has grown so accustomed to treating you as a brother in arms that he forgot that you are a female."

Jungkook chided himself mentally because damn, he was just about to strip and just barely realized that he was a girl right now. Jungkook peeled off his tunic and pants, slipped into the hanbok, and let Shinhwa tie the sash around him in an elaborate bow, Shinhwa spraying something on him that smelled vaguely of vanilla and quickly pulling his hair up with a long silver pin. "There."

"Are you finished?" Mingyu's voice, muffled by the curtain, came through to them. Shinhwa yelled back an affirmative, and Mingyu stepped back into the room, already changed into formal garb, a royal blue hanbok much like what Taehyung wore when he was at the Jeons' house. Jungkook wiggled hs eyebrows at Mingyu when Shinhwa reached over to straighten his sash and pull on his shoulders, tightening the straps of the twin fighting knives he has slung over his back. Mingyu looked every inch a storybook prince, and Jeongguk had no doubt that Jimin would fall head over heels if he saw him.

Jimin. Jungkook's face darkened at the thought of his old friend. Honestly, he missed Jimin so much, missed his bubbly attitude, missed his sass, and he wanted him to be here with him so much. How was Jimin dooing without him? Did he panic and search the whole woods when he found that he was gone, and found no Jungkook at all? Or was there another spirit inside Jungkook's body, a girl's spirit. Jungkook sighed, pushing away the memories. It wouldn't do to go all emo now.

"You said we're going to meet the king?" Mingyu nodded as an answer to Jungkook's question. "My father wishes to see what is the  true face of the legend of the Black Rose. It has been years since he last saw you." Jungkook's left eye twitched, an automatic reaction he had never been able to get rid of through all those years. It always happened when he was nervous.

"What are we waiting for, then?" Jungkook motioned to the door, but before he could move, Shinhwa handed him his dagger, its jeweled hilt gleaming in the evening light. "It is only a meal, but you must be prepared. All the royal family will be there." Jungkook smiled at Shinhwa's thoughtfulness.

"Taehyung hyung has specifically made it clear that you will be sitting with him," the sly gleam in Mingyu's eyes said he knew more than he should. "I wonder why." Jungkook blushed, looking away as Mingyu chuckled wickedly. "Someone is enamored with my older brother, it seems."

"Enough," Shinhwa slapped his arm playfully. "Protect my lady from your brothers, even though one may have good intentions, all of them are crafty foxes. You are the only one I trust enough to do that." Mingyu smiled down at her, taking her hand and squeezing.

"I will do what I can," He assured, and Jungkook feigned puking in his corner. Mingyu laughed, and offered his arm to Jungkook. "Shall we?" Jungkook was reminded of the time they went to the market together, and snorted, but took his arm anyway. "Lead the way, your highness."

"Speak formally in the presence of my parents and older brothers, Jiyeon," Mingyu advised, leading Jungkook down a series of corridors and making Jungkook feel dizzy with all the twists and turns. "My parents are experienced deal brokers and they know how commoners' accents differ from foreigners. You however, speak our tongue, just with that slight slang. Just try to talk like how you did when we first met."

"Okay," Jungkook took deep breaths, sighing as they approached the huge wooden doors of the main palace building. The building was imposing, grand, majestic, and the paper lanterns lighting it up gave off a feeling of fake warmth. Jungkook had been to this exact palace, stood in this exact same place before, just that it was a few thousand years ahead of the current timeline. He'd been here once with his family, but seeing it now, during its grandest time, it felt completely different.

"Ready?" Mingyu looked at him, worry creasing his brow. Jungkook exhaled once, twice, and then nodded.

"Bring it."

 

 

The throne room was impossibly grand, the twin golden thrones sitting at the very front radiating pure power and the beautifully painted dragon staring right at him, but Mingyu and Jungkook were guided by servants to the small dining room behind the throne room. This room was reserved for royalty only, but Ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter