THREE

Black Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The Visitor

 

 

 

 

 

"My lady," the next day, when Jungkook crawled out of bed with his hair all tangled and his clothes rumpled, he found Shinhwa glaring at him with a poisonous smile, her arms behind her back and her posture stiff. Jungkook gulped, trying to scoot backwards, but his bed was by the wall, and there was nowhere to escape.

Uh oh.

"Uh, good morning, Shinhwa, lovely day today...." Jungkook trailed off, avoiding Shinhwa's eyes. Shinhwa tapped her foot impatiently. "Care to explain, Lady?"

"Explain what?" Jungkook ran a hand through his raven tresses nervously, feigning ignorance. "Did I so something?"

"The black warhorse was found saddled and exhausted today morning," Shinhwa motioned behind her, and one of Jungkook's handmaidens scurried up, holding his soiled riding outfit. "And we found this when we were looking for a dress for the seamstress to measure and alter."

Jungkook grimaced. "I was just trying to relax."

"You could have killed yourself!" Shinhwa snapped, dropping the outfit on the floor in a heap. "You are not a horsewoman!"

"I took out a warhorse and I survived," Jungkook had enough of people trying to tell him what to do. He could make his own choices, no problem, and he could take care of himself. He wasn't the well-cared for, dainty lady they expected him to be. He was a man, but he could hardly be one in this body without someone trying to teach him what he was supposed to do and what he wasn't supposed to do. "I can show you, I know what I'm doing."

"Do not be foolish, Lady, that horse is dangerous," Shinhwa looked at him with something like pity flashing in her eyes. "I will buy you a pony, and you will ride that. The warhorse will be sold tomorrow."

"No!" Jungkook leapt up, raising his voice and yelling. Shinhwa drew back, stunned at Jungkook's blatant rejection. Jungkook supposed Shinhwa as used to people following and agreeing with their heads down, but he would not stand for that. If he wanted something that was within reason, then he would get it.

"The horse will not be sold," Jungkook drew up to his full height, his head held high and trying to emit an aura of power. "That is my order, and who are you to question what I can or cannot do? You are only a sanggung, not my mother."

Immediately, Jungkook knew he'd regret it. Shinhwa looked shocked and hurt at Jungkook's toxic words, the insult veiled under pretty language and his own actions. Jungkook felt upset at himself, but he stood his ground. He would not give in so easily. Shinhwa let out a choked laugh, shaking her head disbelievingly.

"I apologize, my lady, for trying to care for your wellbeing," Shinhwa smiled, more like to mock herself than to assure Jungkook. "I will not interfere again. The horse shall stay, and I hope you are happy with your decision."

She retreated out of Jungkook's room, and Jungkook stared after her, the space where she had stood just now cold and empty. He wondered: Have I done the right thing?

He was in the wrong here. Shinhwa genuinely cared about him, and he'd insulted her.

Have I made my stand only to lose my only friend?

 

Jungkook moped in the garden, twirling the stem of a freshly picked red rose, its thorns pricking him slightly but he brushed it aside. The rose smelled wonderful, but what made Jungkook really think was why his 'parents' called him the 'Black Rose'. Why didn't this body have a better title? But then, what was so special about a rose so dull in color?

Sure, the black rose was beautiful in its own kind of way, more elegant and quiet, but black was a color of mourning and grief, and that wasn't something Jungkook necessarily wanted. Was that why he made Shinhwa angry? Because of his nature as a dark flower?

But Jungkook wasn't a flower by any means. The previous owner of this body might have been, but he wasn't dainty, he wasn't soft and graceful. It had only been two days, and Jungkook already missed his old body, how he could move freely without being tied down by big, thick skirts or thin slippers. He wanted to be free, but this world did not like the idea of free women, and females of all ages were usually denied their rights, and instead given over for males to rule. Jungkook didn't want that.

True to her word, Shinhwa had indeed gone to the seamstress and had all his hanboks altered, the bodices looser and longer, with only one layer of skirts. Jungkook couldn't deny that it was much more comfortable and easier to move about in, the material lighter and smoother. Jungkook brushed a hand over the crinkle in the skirt from where he sat, biting his lip when he knew that he might be stuck like this forever. It was hard to imagine a life without Jimin and his other friends, but did he have a choice? It wasn't like there was anything he could do.

Jungkook hummed a song softly as he toyed with the rose, plucking off one of the petals and wondering if he could have a hanbok made in that exact shade of dark wine red. The color would contrast perfectly with his skin tone, Jungkook noted. He had always had an eye for fashion.

He let the petal drift onto his lap, watching the colors shift as the light hit differently, and he really wished he had his camera with him right now. Small things like that are meant to be appreciated, he thought as he stared back to the pond, the fish swimming happily and birds singing in the trees. Jungkook frowned when a mosquito flew by, trying to clap it between his hands and puffing up in anger when it dodged.

"Goddamn pests," Jungkook muttered, flipping his braid behind his ear. His handmaiden had pulled it back with an elaborate pin today, a blossom on the bottom part of his braid. It had started to feel so strange calling himself 'he', when he was technically a girl, but that was one thing he didn't want to lose. He had lost his whole life when he got here, but he would not lose his own identity.

"Lady Jiyeon!" Someone called, and Jungkook turned to look into the house, a handmaiden running up and bowing hastily. "There is a surprise guest that has arrived out of the blue, and sanggung requests that my lady be there to entertain him," The girl's face was flushed, likely from panic. Jungkook got up, dusting off his dress and putting a smile on his face. 'Lead the way."

The handmaiden bowed her head in respect, and then turned into the house, walking at a quick pace. Jungkook followed, tossing the rose behind him and strolling after the girl with a relaxed gait. This guest must be important to warrant the servants panicking.

"Lady Jiyeon," Shinhwa was standing at the entrance to the main courtyard, her hands twisting nervously and her expression one of feigned calm. There were sounds of people talking beyond the curtained door, but Jungkook had a gut feeling that Shinhwa wanted to say something to him before that. "Is there something you want to say?"

"Lady," Shinhwa smiled hesitantly when she saw Jungkook's wide grin, bowing slightly. "I just wanted to apologize for my poor conduct this morning. I hope that you did not take it to heart."

"Of course I didn't," Jungkook smiled at her, bobbing his head, his braid bouncing. "I understand that you care, and I don't hold that against you."

"Thank you," Shinhwa looked outside again, taking a deep breath. "Lady, do you remember what I told you about yourself yesterday?"

Jungkook nodded, confused. Shinhwa gestured to the handmaiden standing patiently behind them, "Sooyoung, go prepare refreshments for the guests and tell the cook to have dinner for two served in the lady's private chambers. Prepare food of the highest quality." The girl nodded, and hurried off. Jungkook frowned.

"Who is it?" Jungkook watched as Shinhwa let loose her inner turmoil, gripping her dress and her face contorting into one of pain. Jungkook placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Is something wrong?"

"They never said they were coming, we have no rooms prepared, we have no food to serve as the fresh produce is only due the day after tomorrow, and the servants are a mess. I am afraid of what they will tell the royal family," Shinhwa confessed. Jungkook nodded, squeezing her shoulder, completely understanding. She was the sanggung, and any mistakes on their part would be solely blamed on her.

"So who is it?" Shinhwa met his eyes, and then flicked her eyes to the curtained door and the blurry silhouettes. 'Am I to entertain them?"

"Yes," Jungkook knew it was part of his daily duties. He supposed he had pushed it off enough already. He waited for Shinhwa's answer, pulling his hand away.

Shinhwa took a deep breath. "It is his royal highness Prince Mingyu, the youngest son of King Silseong and Queen Minyoung."

Jungkook's jaw dropped.

 

 

"Your highness," Jungkook wiped his hands on his skirt as Shinhwa entered the room, curtseying elegantly and introducing him. "May I present the Lady Jiyeon, the Black Rose." J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter