Happily Ever After

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*sighs heavily*

I’m back...and yes, lemme apologize first of all for disappearing so suddenly and not returning for over a month. I had my finals, as in the final exam of my final year, and the exam schedules shifted suddenly and it came earlier than expected, so that’s how I ended up not visiting Asian Fanfics for such a long time!

I’m so sorry my loving reader chingus...for making you wait so long without even any notice. And before I start this last chap, let me give you good news!

Since my college days are over now... I’m gonna have much more free time to write, so you can expect weekly updates for each story weekly now! And I will be presenting you my new year present for the year 2020 within two days, AND also you can wait for updates from “Twin Roses” and “All About You”, my favourite story which went on such a long hiatus. I will continue both stories as soon as Last Hunter is over!

So enjoy the Last Chapter of Last Hunter!!! (Ahem...epilogue will be there shortly as well.)

Don’t mind typos... I was in such a hurry to upload this! >o<

 

The rookie soldiers were gaping at the fierce fight going on in the sparring arena, as the two captains were demonstrating them some special techniques as they were taking over General Park’s lesson for the day. After returning from Prince Zhang Yixing’s camp the morning after Shao Xuan was captured, Chanyeol had been on leave for straight two weeks, on the King’s command given under his furious refusal. ‘You’ve done enough for a several years. Now get the rest while I’m giving it to you Chanyeol-ah’, His Majesty had said. so here they were, Baekhyun and Sehun, rolling on the dusty sand under the noon sun, trying to get each other under control.

Sehun rolled over, freeing himself from the older warrior’s grip, and stumbled back to his feet. Soon after, Baekhyun was on his feet as well, and the fight was back on, making the spectators, or rather their students, sit on the edges of their seats.

Until a lean figure decided to enter the arena through the faraway entrance and make her way towards the empty rows of bleachers, and take a seat there while having her eyes fixed on one of the two fighters.

 

Sehun lost his focus for a second.

 

And that second was more than enough for Baekhyun to take the youngster under control, and the later was thrown over Baekhyun’s shoulder, and landed on the hard ground with a nasty thud. The whole crowd of rookie soldiers erupted with cheers, since the smiley and good tempered Captain Byun was always their favourite, rather than the silent and somewhat moody Captain Oh.

Sehun groaned as her rolled over and got back onto his feet, avoiding eye contact with Yingyun in embarrassment, hence not seeing how the girl was panicked almost standing up from her seat.

 

“Focus. The first, second, and third most important factor is focus. Now you know why you guys end up running fifty laps around the arena each time you’re late to answer General Park’s question. That’s because he hates when people loses their focus.”

“But now look at us wasting our precious time completing his duties as well.” Sehun muttered under his breath, while dusting his uniform. “While His Excellency is living happily ever after with his lady in his palace-like mansion.”

Baekhyun turned to him and smirked. “It’s alright Sehun, take Ying and leave now. I’ll take care of the evening lesson.”

The youngster blinked at him. “Can I really leave hyung? But—”

“Just leave. You don’t want her to sit in the scorching sun for another few hours do you?”

 

And that’s how Captain Oh left the sparring arena in the middle of their lesson with Ying, and that’s how Captain Byun ended up taking out the younger soldiers to a ‘Special treat in order to build up team spirit between the newbies through sharing alcohol’.

 

And the tavern right outside the Royal Military School was packed with young men in broad daylight.

 

“Captain! This is all on you for real...right?”

One soldier asked Baekhyun, unable to believe the sudden treat they were receiving even after gulping down one and a half wine bottles. Baekhyun smiled with a nod, reaching for a plate of fried snacks. “It is of course...now help yourselves. You won’t get such fancy treatment once you enrol the Hunters’ Brigade. You’ll be practically slaving away for the rest of your lives.”

“But Captain!” another drunk youth yelled from the other end of the long table. “What is this treat about? Are you upset about Captain Oh leaving you for a lady?”

Baekhyun couldn’t help laughing at the question.

“Or are you...” the soldier next to him spoke this time. “Are you jealous that he’s having a lover and you’re not having one yet? Eh?”

And the young man was smacked on his head in a second. “I too have someone I love! You dimwits...” Baekhyun scoffed, and chugged down a shot of wine in one go. “And she’s beyond words I can explain! Don’t you dare compare my love life to Sehun’s!”

“You really do have someone Captain?”

“Why would I lie you punk?”

“A real fiancée? Not a gisaeng or a tavern waitress?”

“Mind your tongues you rogues!”

“Captain Byun Baekhyun settling for one woman?”

“Waah...this is insane...”

“Captain you aren’t lying are you?”

“Man...this calls for more wine!!!”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

“Still finding it hard to fall asleep?”

Sehun asked the girl who was leaned against his shoulder, as the two of them sat on the shady lawn of the Military School garden. Ying shook her head, and smiled at him. “I should be stronger for your sake, shouldn’t I?”

Without replying, Sehun started combing his fingers through her loose hair. “Just so you know, he was taken to China with Prince Zhang, first was locked up in the provincial jail—”

“I...” the girl interrupted his words. “I don’t want to know.”

“But Ying...he’s still your uncle. It’s only right to know how he was punished.”

“After everything he did? After killing my parents and my brother? After harming all of you and using me in it as well?”

“Now you’re tearing up again. Aish... I shouldn’t have brought up this topic.”

Sehun sighed, staring at her.

But she hastily brushed her cheeks away with the back of her hand. “I’m not tearing up. It’s just I don’t want to talk anything related to him. Let’s talk about something else. Hmm?”

“Like what?”

“Like...getting your parent’s consent?”

He sighed again, and this time the sigh was even heavier.

“Let’s get married Yingyun.” He straightened up, and took her hand. The girl stared at him, her eyes widening yet understanding what he was trying to say.

“Let’s get married on our own. Let’s move to our own place, and let’s live there on our own. It may take a few years, but when we have children and make up a nice family, they will accept us.”

“But still...”

“It’s not like they’re refusing to approve you because you’re actually at fault! They know exactly what happened, and how your uncle manipulated you. It’s just they cannot accept you so easily! My father and his pride...”

The girl sighed in silence. Tightening his hold around her shoulder, Sehun puller her closer to him. “Why must you only think of traditions and morality? Don’t I deserve to be happy with the one I love?”

She raised her head to look at him.

“Now say that you’ll be living with me under the same roof starting next week. Hmm?”

“Next week?”

“Yes next week. Is there a reason why it should be postponed?”

“Not that it’s too fast, but what about the wedding rituals?”

“Chanyeol hyung wants us to do it at his place. He said he’ll be arranging everything. Then a banquet courtesy Baek hyung, and we’ll be moving to our new place the same day. You in?”

For the first time in a long while, Sehun saw a carefree and truly happy smile on her face. “See! That’s how a soon-to-be bride should smile!” he leaned in to leave a smooch on her cheek. “Yingyun-ah, let’s be happy no matter what okay? Hyung’s are telling me that I’ll be a baby even after I’m married and that all you will be doing is babysitting. Let’s show them how well we can do alright?”

Laughing at his words, Ying nodded in agreement. “Alright then. Let’s show them!”

 

* * * * * * * *

 

“You. Are. Not. Going to disobey me again Shin Seora!”

The said lady huffed in disappointment, and started fumbling with the crystal Norigae dangling down her dress. “But it’s just for a few minutes...and I’m going with you of course! So why can’t you—”

Her husband rubbed his temples with a sigh. “I told you already why I can’t. It’s fine if it’s to your sister’s place or somewhere else, but it’s the palace we’re talking about Seora! Noble ladies can’t go riding the same horse as their husband when they enter the palace! You must take the palanquin!!!”

Seora looked up at him with a pout. “Now you say it’s only the palace. But you never take me out anywhere else on horseback. You evil general!”

Chanyeol was back at rubbing his temples when they heard a meek voice outside Chanyeol’s study. “Agassi...”

Seora was quick to call her maid in. “Yes Haesolie, come in.”

The door opened and the maid entered, being meek just as her voice sounded. Her mistress widened her eyes at the girl, who was staring intently at the floor beneath them.

“What is it Haesol?” Chanyeol asked.

“My Lord, can I... can I take a leave of two days?” she asked stuttering, without daring to take her eyes off the floor. Chanyeol shrugged, but Seora was the one who questioned.

“It’s alright Haesol, but what’s the occasion?”

“My cousin, she recently gave birth and I thought of visiting her to see my very first niece... Agassi.”

“But it hasn’t been long since you fully got recovered Haesolie... Is it alright to travel?” Seora asked, purely out of concern. The girl raised her head in a trice, and her face was reddening rapidly. “I... I did My Lady, but I will take care. And it won’t take more than two days. I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

“Hmm...whatever you want then. Just make sure you rest well once you arrive there. and take your medications with you.” Chanyeol advised the girl.

“Thank you so much My Lord!” Haesol bowed down in gratitude, with her face brightening up with a smile. And she hurriedly left the room after greeting her mistress as well, leaving Seora to watch her departure with a smile.

“Now get ready. The palanquin is already waiting and we mustn’t be late to the queen’s dinner.” Chanyeol returned to their previous discussion, while he put on his hat and started tying the ribbon of it. Seora huffed, getting back her sulky face on. “It’s not even day time and you still worry so much about etiquette and stuff.”

Chanyeol stopped tying the ribbon and looked at her. “Exactly! Because it is night time, you must not take the horse! Why bother riding a horse in this chilly weather?”

“My Lord, may I come in?”

This time it was the chief guard’s voice, asking for permission to enter the study room. As Chanyeol called him in, the young man opened the door and entered to give the couple a deep bow. “Jungwoo and Taeil are back on duty My Lord, so I thought... I might be able to get a leave of just two days...”

Seora and Chanyeol looked at each other at once, with eyes widened in confusion.

“Are you going somewhere Jongin?” Chanyeol asked the guard.

“Yes My Lord, there’s this hyung who was in training with me back in the temple, Lee Jinki...and his wife had given birth, so I thought I ought to visit them...”

Seora audibly stifled a smile, making Jongin blink at her. Chanyeol nodded with a successfully suppressed smile, granting him permission. “Ask Yuha for some money and take a gift for the new born. And take your travelling expenses as well.”

“Thank you so much for your kindness My Lord!” Jongin bowed down, and quickly returned to the exit of the room. Just before he could slide the door close behind him, he had to turn back hearing Chanyeol’s voice.

“Make sure you take care of Haesol perfectly well. It’s not long since she recovered.”

The guard’s mouth fell open in horror of being caught, and before he could re-enter the room to apologize or give excuses, Seora hurried to the door and closed it, giggling as she waved Jongin away.

Chanyeol was smiling to himself when she walked back to him. “They’ve been too obvious lately...always hanging around in corners of the mansion...should we just marry off the two quickly?” he asked his wife. And she replied with an eager nod. “That’d be great, because I’ve always been worried about Haesol. It’s about time the girl gets settled with the person she loves.”

She took another step closer to her husband and started tying the loose black ribbon of his hat. “Now about the dinner Chanyeol...” she looked up at him with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter