The Prince of Changsha

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A tiny Author’s Note before I start the long awaited chapter;

In this chapter and in some upcoming chapters, I may include scenes of certain rituals, and I just wanted to tell you guys that those rituals are not at all based on any religion, and also that those are not written using information taken from any rituals that truly existed in Joseon era (ancient Korea). All those are completely out of my imagination, solely made to go with the story plot... and that’s what I wanted to say. ^_^

So... enjoy!

 

The winds that swept the Joseon capital and travelled across the outskirts of the city, continuously reaching the distant hillside and cooling the heat of the scorching noon sun to a considerable extent. The sleek gold ornament embedded with rubies which held his black tresses in place, glinted in the sunlight depicting his royalty to specifically no one as he stood on the hill all alone. The blood red cape swayed in the winds sporting his majestic aura, along with the charcoal black armour, boots, and the sleek polished sword.

Sharp eyes never left the picturesque view of the city spread in front of his eyes, as he was deeply lost in his own war strategies.

Until he was interrupted by one of his own personnel.

“Your highness,”

Tilting his head sideways, the young royalty hummed in acknowledgment.

“We’re still not out of the perfect timing, your highness.”

“What do you mean lieutenant?” he asked, turning his eyes back to the Joseon capital. “Are you suggesting me to initiate the attack?”

“Yes, your highness.” The said military officer replied with a curt bow. “We don’t need Joseon’s assistance at all your highness. Your private forces alone are enough to even capture ten Shao Xuans. I really cannot understand your intentions your majesty!”

A smile gracing his charming face, the royal warrior turned to face the lieutenant. “I’m not having any ulterior motives lieutenant.” He shrugged. “This is simply called ‘being decent’. I’m being decent and holding back because we’re in someone else’s country. Just because he’s our country’s criminal, it doesn’t give us the right to declare war on someone else’s country as we please. That’s why we need their assistance, or rather their consent.”

Understanding his logic, the officer nodded in acknowledgment. “So until when, are we going to wait your highness?”

His superior took a sideways glance back at the capital, taking a patient inhale of Joseon air.

“Until Byun comes back. Until he brings the message that it’s the right time.”

 

* * * * * * * *

It was almost noon when Baekhyun managed to open his swollen eyes, finally finding out that he had been trapping the girl in his arms even after she had woke up. He opened his eyes to the heart-warmingly familiar face with doe-eyes staring at him as she lied facing him, trapped between his body and the wall behind her, head resting on his bicep.

“Does it still hurt?” she asked, reaching up to his head softly. He shook his head slightly, his silent gaze not leaving her concerned eyes.

“Then shall we get up? It’ll be hard to reach home before dark if we get late anymore Baekhyun.”

He closed his eyes again, heaving a sigh when he felt her palm being placed on his chest. “You can’t say no. You’re definitely leaving this place with me today.”

After a while of waiting in silence, he finally gave up, hesitantly taking off his arm which had been hugging her the entire time. Baekhyun sat up, and the girl followed soon after, just to trap his still-pale face between her palms.

“Look at me Baekhyun,” she leaned closer, peering into his eyes.

He returned her glance, still reddened tired eyes looking into hers.

“The way you spend the last few days,” Jungsoo began, keeping their gazes locked the whole time. “That’s never going to happen again. Alright?”

Two thumbs caressed the sunken cheeks gently, since he didn’t even nod as reply in the least.

“Baekhyun... would your mom want you to live unhappily after she left you? Wouldn’t she wish to see you to be happy with someone you love, from wherever she is right now?”

The mere mentioning of his late mom made him tear up once again, and he averted his eyes from hers, ashamed of being so weak and vulnerable continuously.

Her hands left their place on his face, and pulled him towards herself, enclosing the space between them. Despite turning away from the girl, as if by instinct, his arms automatically held onto her, when she enveloped him in her warm embrace.

“So let me be the person who can make you live happily again. I don’t care about how you used to live, and no past will come between us. Just trust me and stay with me...Mmm?”

He gave in with a final sigh, and she started his head soothingly once again.

 

* * * * * * * *

Seora was helping Jungsoo’s mother with separating sprouts from the beans they were supposed to have for dinner, and that was when the couple on horseback arrived at their house. Haesol being the first one to notice them, threw the washed clothes she was holding back to the wooden laundry basin, and ran to them.

It drew both Seora’s and the physician’s wife’s attention, making both of them get to their feet as well. “Jungsoo-yah!” her mother exclaimed, watching Baekhyun jump off the horse and lift her daughter off the saddle and help her stand on the ground as well. Haesol entwined her hand with Jungsoo at once, dragging the girl towards her mother.

Meanwhile Seora ran to Baekhyun, who gave her a weak smile and dragged his horse into the yard with him. “Baekhyun? Are you alright? I mean you look so pale and worn out.”

He nodded, the weak smile still gracing his lips. “I’m fine Seora...” he turned towards the middle aged lady, and bowed to her in respect. “Forgive me for leaving without any notice, omonim.”

“It’s alright...” her answer was quick, her eyes running down to his leg remembering the snake bite. “Are you alright now Captain? Did our Jungsoo properly treat you?”

“Omma...” Jungsoo mumbled, clinging onto her mother’s arm. “Baekhyun’s mom...she passed away.”

All three women, her mom, Seora and Haesol gasped in unison, hands reaching up to cover their mouths in horror. “Oh my goodness...” the elderly lady hurriedly walked up to the young captain, holding him by both shoulders and peering into his face. “Are you alright my child? When did that happen? Is the funeral over now?”

Baekhyun pressed his lips together, nodding in silence. “Oh my god... oh my god...” eyes filling with tears, Jungsoo’s mother pulled the young man into his embrace. “It’s alright... everything’s alright... you have us so you don’t have to feel alone...my poor child...” she continued to rub his back comfortingly, making him burst into tears once again. All three girls watched in silence, wiping their tears as they watched the two whom almost seemed like mother and son, until Baekhyun finally muttered a ‘Thank you omonim’ and broke their embrace.

“Seora where’s Chanyeol?”

Seora pointed towards the room where Baekhyun and Sehun used to share. “In there...” she answered hesitantly, since there were visitors inside that Baekhyun wasn’t aware of.

 

He silently walked towards the room, and opened the door, and inside was a small group seated in a circle on a mat, consisting of Chanyeol, Sehun, Jongin, Yingyun and an unfamiliar figure seated with his back turned towards the door.

“Baekhyun-ah!” Chanyeol exclaimed, totally surprised to see his friend appearing at their discussion at the most unexpected time. At the same time, all the rest of people turned their heads, hearing the door open.

His eyes met the face of the unfamiliar figure. And it didn’t take him more than a couple of seconds to recognize the sharp youth’s face.

“What... is he doing here?”

Fists clenching in sudden rage rushing through him, he asked through gritted teeth. Chanyeol held up a hand gesturing his friend to calm down, quickly starting his explanation.

“Jung Taekwoon is here to help us Baek.”

A scoff was the reply.

“Yeol what kind of joke is that?”

“Listen Baekhyu –”

“Sehun even you? So helping your girl to escape was enough to let this thing inside the house? Since when did you two become that dumb?”

Baekhyun’s words poured out in an uncontrollable speed, filled with rage and spite, his eyes piercing through Jung Taekwoon who was sitting in silence all the time, eyes casted downwards.

“Hyung he’s g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter