The Proposal

Last Hunter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Your Majesty, general Park is here.”

The eunuch standing in front of the king’s office announced, turning to face the closed door. Chanyeol had come to pay a visit to the king, ignoring Sehun’s whiny request for him to stay and join their practices. He always wanted Chanyeol to teach him new techniques, because his dream was to become a great warrior like his beloved hyung. Despite youngster’s pleading, Chanyeol decided to pay a visit to the king, as he had to report the progress of his duties. He was a person who practically lived just to fulfil his duties.

“Let him in.” Came the king’s voice from inside.

The court ladies opened the door, and Chanyeol walked in to see his majesty, King Junmyeon sitting at his table with a pile of petitions and reports from different areas of the kingdom. Beside his table, was seated the king’s charming and beautiful queen, Queen Yoona. She was Chanyeol’s elder sister, and his one and only family left in the world.

“Chanyeol!” the king exclaimed, a sincere smile adorning his handsome face. The queen also looked delighted to see her brother.

“Your majesty.” Chanyeol bowed to the King and Queen in utmost respect. “I’m here to report about yesterday’s encounter.” He stated in an official manner. “And also to report about the scholars from the government examination.”

The king looked amused. “We were waiting to see you while we were discussing something regarding you a few moments ago.” he said. “But since you’re here on official matters, let’s finish them first. Take a seat.” He pointed at another empty chair in front of his table.

“Thank you your majesty.” Chanyeol bowed again and sat in front of the king. His sister, who was sitting at the other side of the table, looked impatient because discussing her ‘special’ matter with her brother was more important to her than the state matters. So she watched her husband and her brother discuss the state matters, with a sulky expression on her face.

 

King Junmyeon was Joseon’s youngest king enthroned for the past two centuries, but was known as one of the wisest monarchs the country ever had, just after three years of his enthronement. Chanyeol respected him not only because he was his majesty’s loyal subject, and also not only because his sister was his queen, but because the King was worth for the respect. His wise decisions and kind attitude towards the people made him a true king, and made him suitable for the crown he was bearing on his head.

 

“...but the students who got the best results at the government examination are not the ones I chose. What your majesty told me to do was to select the scholars with best ideas and concepts, the ones who can think and make a change in the country. But the ones who got the best results were ones who wrote down the ancient Chinese quotes by heart.” Chanyeol stated disappointedly. The king nodded acknowledgingly, the corners of his lips turned down. “That’s why I need you, Park Chanyeol, the best student of the Royal University of our time to help me with this.” he looked at the young general in front of him with anticipation. Chanyeol bowed slightly, his expression getting more earnest. “What this country need is change, your majesty. And as your majesty wants to give the people that change, I’ll do anything to support this endeavour.”

The King’s handsome face adorned with his signature smile. “You’re a great strength to me Chanyeol,” he sighed and closed the petition he was signing. “By the way, your sister was pestering me once more to convince you to obey her.” he smirked glancing at his queen. The young queen pouted at the king’s sarcastic remark, and turned to her brother with a serious expression.

“Chanyeol-ah, today is Lord Yushin’s daughter’s birthday.” She said with an expecting smile. At once, Chanyeol’s let out a sigh. Queen Yoona reached out for his hand, and peeked into his face which was turned to the other side. “Please Chanyeol-ah, come with me to the party. I won’t ask for anything else. Just come and sit there beside me.”

Chanyeol knew that his sister was doing everything out of concern for him. He knew that she was trying her best to find a suitable girl for him to marry and settle down again. But no, he was not ready for such a thing. In fact, he never wanted to remarry. He couldn’t erase Hyeyeong and his child from his mind, and their memory was the only thing that kept him living. This incident happened a countless times, yet the queen didn’t give up on finding him a good match.

His let out another sigh before looking at his sister. “Your highness, please. I do NOT want another marriage! Just let me live like this, please.”

“But Chanyeol-ah-“

He stood up from his chair. “Your majesty, I’ll take my leave then.” He bowed to the king first, and then to the queen. And without waiting for their replies, he walked out of the office.

“Oh, what do I do with him?” the queen whined. But the king was having fun, watching his wife being ticked off by Chanyeol, which happened at least once in a month. He let out a silent chuckle, stood up from his chair and made his way to the queen. He stood behind her chair, and leaned down closer to her ear, holding her shoulders. “Yoona, my love...” he whispered, making his breath tickle her ear. “He once obeyed your parents and married Hyeyeong, yes, but now his heart is broken and wounded. It’s up to him to decide when and whom he’ll be together with.”

The queen turned her head, which made the tip of her nose brush against his. “Is it wrong for a sister to be worried about her one and only brother, your majesty?” she asked, looking into his eyes. The king gave her a slight smile. “Remember? How I protested in front of the Queen mother’s residence, staying on my knees for four whole days?”

The queen suppressed a smile turned her head down. “ ‘The crown prince is asking permission to marry General Park’s daughter, instead of marrying the chief minister’s daughter.’ I heard the news and cried for the whole four days in my room.” She said. It always brought smiles to their faces when they recalled their memories from few years back. The king smirked and lifted her face from the chin. “So my dear queen, let’s give him some time. He will decide his own life. He’s not a child anymore.” He uttered softly. The queen sighed, and nodded. “Ugh...recalling the past doesn’t help at all.” The king said, straightening up. The queen also got up from her seat, looking puzzled, and starting to blush at the same time. “Why your majesty?”

He looked at her with a smirk. “This Queen of mine, tends to distract me from work.” He went on. “She can make me cancel all my schedules, just by giving away that smile of hers.” He said, slowly snaking his arm around her waist and gently dragging her closer to him.

 

* * * * * * * *

 

“Pink is a colour that just any girl can wear, but it needs a special someone to look gorgeous in red.”

Baekhyun stated airily, playing with the lady’s bracelet which was in his hand.

Sehun scoffed. “So you seduced her just like that? The town’s magistrate’s daughter got seduced by such a cheap pick up line?”

Baekhyun grinned. “That’s my specialty Sehun. Not just everyone can seduce women so easily like I do. It has to be Byun Baekhyun. If someone like you said such a thing to a woman, she’ll die of laughter!”

“Tsk.” Sehun tightened the belt on his waist disapprovingly. “What’s so great about girls? I prefer swards over women. Come on Chanyeol hyung, let

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter