CHAPTER 7 - UNFOUND

Toss Of A Coin

"Areum ah. Yah. Areum. Areum shi. Areum ahhh. YAH!"

 

I jumped and looked up at Bora from the silver coin I was holding.

 

"For God's sake are you listening to me at all?!"

 

I stared at her and shook my head, "Ah I'm sorry. I'm so out of it."

 

"I can see that. What's up with that coin? And what's up with your butler? Most importantly what's up with you?"

 

My mind was floating so badly it was hard to concentrate.

 

Why did my butler give me that coin? Why did he say the same thing to me as the old granny did?

 

"Areummm."

 

I snapped up at her and focused, "I don't get it. Why did he say the same thing as the old granny at the fountain?"

 

She sighed, "Goodness missy it's so confusing even for me. Did you remember that day? You said Daehyun threw a coin in together with you."

 

"Yeah I remember."

 

"Well I don't know but why did he throw it?"

 

I raised an eyebrow, "That doesn't make any sense."

 

"Okay, people throw the coin in after making a wish. You wished for?"

 

"For me to regain my memories, of why the fountain was so familiar to me."

 

"Uh huh so what did Daehyun wish for?"

 

"Does it matter?"

 

"Did he throw the same coin as you?"

 

"Why does that matter?"

 

"I don't know, really I'm just trying to find a link. Look, if you and Daehyun were together before and both of you went to the fountain together before, then your wish got answered right then. Didn't it?"

 

"I don't- Wait, you're kinda right."

 

"Anyway, since that weird fountain brought you two together plus that weird coin and old lady, I'm going to do some research there. Just for fun you know. No harm trying right? For the novel-"

 

I smacked her shoulder, "Yah! Don't do that to me too!"

 

Bora laughed and rolled on the floor, "Look at your face! It's hilarious!"

 

She kept laughing and I just smiled, shaking my head. I love Bora as my best friend but she really gets on my nerves too.

 

We heard a knock on the door and I went over to answer it.

 

"Yah you ladies are really freaking noisy. And by ladies I mean Bora," YoungJae grumbled and jumped over to sit on his bed.

 

It was my turn to laugh and Bora nudged me, "Yah in the midst of other people you are supposed to support me."

 

"If by ladies you mean Bora then what does that make Areum?"

 

I turned upon hearing his voice and saw Daehyun leaning against the door frame totally relaxed. He locked his eyes with mine and smiled so sweetly.

 

"Yeah yeah here comes Prince charming rescuing his damsel in distress," YoungJae rolled his eyes and strode over to his drawer.

 

Daehyun mouthed a 'Hi' to me and I mouthed back. Bora went over to see what YoungJae was pulling out and Daehyun sat on the floor next to me.

 

We were in YoungJae's room because it somehow became our meeting place and Daehyun stayed with him so it made things easier.

 

"Hey, how was your talk with your parents yesterday? You didn't reply my texts."

 

"Ah nae, mianhe."

 

My minded started floating and Daehyun leaned close to me, "Hey what's wrong?"

 

I blinked at him and rearranged my thoughts, "Well it was a short talk, they said if I heard your name again I should let them know. They also said never to meet you," I played with my fingers to keep my mind working so I wouldn't zone out.

 

The surprise in his expression was unmistakable, "Wow, I made such an impression?"

 

I shrugged, "I really don't know. But one thing is for sure, we definitely knew one another before. If my parents were to react that way upon hearing your name, something must be wrong."

 

His forehead scrunched and he nodded, "Yeah well, at least we know that we knew one another."

 

He beamed his sunny smile and I couldn't resist smiling back.

 

"What's that?"

 

He looked down at my hand holding the silver coin.

 

"Oh this, my butler gave it to me. Its just-"

 

I sighed and pressed my temples, "Its really very complicated."

 

He watched me with gentle eyes and took the coin from my hand, inspecting it as rays from the window reflected off it.

 

His eyes widened slightly, "Areum ah."

 

"Mm wae?"

 

"I have a coin like this too."