CHAPTER 4 - FIGURED

Toss Of A Coin

"Areum ah, I'll meet you inside later."

 

"Nae arasso."

 

Bora dropped me off at the mall entrance so that she could park her car. I walked inside and my light pink dress flowed delicately behind me while my matching heels click clacked beneath me.

 

I didn't intend to dress up but I just felt like it.

 

As I walked past the shops, I could sense the staff watching me. It wasn't uncommon because almost everyone knew me as the rich businessman's daughter.

 

I never liked the attention though. I clutched my bag close to me and tripped over my feet.

 

"Oh!" I closed my eyes as I anticipated the impact of me landing on the marble floor. It never came.

 

Instead, I felt a firm arm around my waist before steadying me to my feet. My breath was stuck in my throat.

 

"Kwenchana?"

 

Daehyun turned me to face him and I nodded, still slightly stunned. He seemed to heave a sigh of relief when I nodded and he smiled his breathtaking smile.

 

"I'm glad you look so much better after yesterday."

 

"You too."

 

His arm was still around my waist and I felt like leaning into him but I stopped myself.

 

Daehyun leaned close to me, "Let's get out of here, the staff are staring."

 

He let me go and I strolled next to him. Missing that little bit of contact I had with him.

 

"I see you've gotten my number from Bora," Daehyun mentioned casually and I nodded.

 

"Well, YoungJae did say it was to check on one another. I didn't technically expect to faint after seeing a guy from the party," I gestured around with my hands and he chuckled.

 

"I have something to tell you actually. About last night," he started.

 

I glanced at him and found him looking away from me, trying to gather his thoughts.

 

"I remember you, very faintly. But it stems from a rather dark side of my lost memories. I got into a car accident, I don't know why but when I saw you it reminded me of those grim times," he stated and my eyes widened.

 

I felt and experienced the same thing.

 

"Daehyun ah, to be honest, I've been in an accident too. Every time I see you it's all that runs through my mind," I told him and he looked at me, shock flitting through his eyes.

 

"Areum, would you mind if I asked about the accident?"

 

I saw him watching me intently, "Honestly I would prefer not to talk about it. But you need to know."

 

I composed myself and gripped my bag a little tighter, "All I remember that day was the impact of the car crash. I don't remember what happened before or after."

 

He pursed his lips and tucked his hands in his pockets, "But you remember your school, your friends, your childhood?"

 

I nodded, "Yeah mostly, it's just the periods close to the accident I can't remember."

 

"What about me?"

 

My eyes widened, "Bwoh?"

 

"What about me? Do you remember anything about me?"

 

I shook my head, "No I don't. But your voice and name struck me. It's like I've heard it somewhere before."

 

He smiled, "It's the same for me, the moment I saw you at the fountain, I knew that I knew you from somewhere."

 

"Jinjja? Wait, do you think we knew one another before?"

 

He nodded and faced me, "Yes I do think we knew one another before."

 

I stared at his face, if we knew one another before, how could I have forgotten such a handsome face?

 

He reached out to tuck my hair behind my ear, almost unknowingly and mumbled, "Why can't I remember anything?"

 

"Areum ah!"

 

"Daehyun ah!"

 

He pulled back and we watched as Bora and YoungJae came up to us.

 

YoungJae hooked an arm around Daehyun's neck and whipped out a brown envelope at the same time, "Yah, look what I've found."

 

Bora pulled me to her, "YoungJae found some articles on traffic accidents three years ago. Maybe we can find yours."

 

"Are you being serious now?"

 

Daehyun snatched the envelope from YoungJae, "Yah, what's the purpose of this?"

 

YoungJae laughed, "No need to thank me. I just want to help you two recover your memories, maybe it will help."

 

"How did you know I-" I looked at Bora and she nudged me, "Nae I told him, waeyo? Want to kill me?"

 

I punched her on her shoulder lightly, "Neol jinjja."

 

"Areum ah." I looked up at Daehyun and made eye contact with him, "Want to regain our memories together?"

 

Bora was close to squealing next to me and I bet YoungJae chuckled because he saw her reaction. "Nae, let's figure it out together."