CHAPTER 11 - SOUND THEM OUT

Toss Of A Coin

Visions of the accident kept flashing in my mind, how the truck purposely drove towards us to make Daehyun swerve off the road and into the metal barrier.

 

"Areum ah, though he said his parents wanted to kill you but there is no need for you to avoid him right? I mean like, it wasn't his fault."

 

I stared blankly and she wiped the smile off her face, "Yah, stop being a brat, let's just focus on today alright?"

 

I laughed at her tone, "Arasso, I'll just let my parents know that they're missing a big day in my life."

 

"Yah, let them know they're not treating their daughter right."

 

I laughed even louder and went up to my parents' room. I knocked on the door but no one answered. I went in and heard my butler come up behind me, "Your parents went on a business trip, they won't be back till the day after tomorrow."

 

"Aish jinjja, now they won't even tell me when they are overseas. What's next huh? Are they gonna tell me I'm adopted?"

 

My butler smiled and patted my shoulder, "Have fun alright? Today is your day, make it count."

 

I nodded and he left me. Ugh my parents won't even attend my graduation ceremony, sometimes I really wonder if I am their daughter. I walked into the huge room and looked around for nothing in particular.

 

Then I thought about what Daehyun said. About his parents wanting to kill me. I shook my head, something was wrong.

 

"Well, if you hear about him again let me know, also, don't ever meet him," My father's voice rang in my head and I closed my eyes.

 

I have to find the truth. My mind seemed to shift and I went straight to my father's desk. He was an organised man, work will remain at work and personal matters will remain at home. If he felt that he was protecting me from Daehyun, then he must have some documents at home.

 

I ransacked his desk and shelves to find any records or anything related to Daehyun. It frustrated me that I had to resort to this but I needed to know.

 

"Areum ah!" Bora knocked on the door and I jumped, startled by her voice invading my silence.

 

"Come in!"

 

She opened the door and walked in, "Wah your parents' room is beautiful. What are you doing?"

 

"Finding the truth."

 

"What are you talking about?"

 

"Daehyun."

 

"Yah!"

 

I looked up at her, "Wae?"

 

"You're going through your parents' things to find out if they know something about Daehyun?"

 

"Nae."

 

She smiled, "Omo I've never seen you being this bad ever, I'll help you."

 

I laughed and we searched through the shelf together. I pulled open a drawer and rummaged quickly, spotting a gold coin.

 

I picked it up, my mind racing back on its own to when Daehyun gave this to me.

 

"Take this, my token to you. If anything happens when we run, keep this." He held two gold coins out, giving one to me, "I'll find you again with this. I'm sorry, I love you, be careful," and he kissed my forehead before running off.

 

My head throbbed, what were we running from?

 

"Areum ah, check this out. This file has 'Jung' written on it. That's Daehyun's surname right?"

 

"Yeah it is."

 

My phone rang and I gasped, "Aish who is it? Yeoboseyo?"

 

"Areum shi, Bora is not picking up her phone, is she with you?"

 

I scoffed, "Nae YoungJae shi, she is with me, chamkaman," I passed my phone to Bora and she giggled.

 

I shook my head and tidied up the mess we made. After making everything seem untouched, I opened the file and flipped through. There was nothing much inside other than a few articles, I would read them later. I kept the gold coin in my pocket as Bora was about to hang up.

 

"Nae see you later," Bora chirped and handed my phone back to me while I glanced at her. 

 

"Hmm so now no more crushing on HimChan?"

 

"Ahhhhhhh..." She trailed off and smiled to herself, "YoungJae really grew on me, he's so charming and such a joker and... Yah! I spend so much time with him because of you and Daehyun!" She blushed bright red and I laughed, "Calm down, you two look good together, does he like you?"

 

"Aish that's why it's so frustrating for me, I can't figure that out."

 

"Just ask him, I mean, no harm trying right? For the nove-" She smacked my shoulder and I just giggled at her reaction.

 

"Hajima Areum ah, let's get changed. Don't want to be late for our own graduation ceremony."

 

"Arasso, we have to be on time for you to meet your prince!"

 

"Areum ah!"

 

"Ara ara!" I chuckled evilly and took the file back to my room.

 

Bora hurried and rushed us along into our formal wear and out the door. She was obviously so excited to meet YoungJae but I swept that matter aside. I sighed, I wish I could talk to Daehyun. Why did I ignore him for a whole week?

 

"Areum you're going to have to thank me," Bora mentioned lightly.

 

"Thank you Bora-nim."

 

She laughed, "I haven't even told you for what yet."

 

"For what then?"

 

She pulled up at our school and smirked, "For this."

 

Someone opened my door and I looked up, Daehyun smiling down at me.

 

"How've you been?"