CHAPTER 5 - KEEP IT

Toss Of A Coin

The four of us sat at the cafe, feeling tired and depressed that we didn't really make much progress. Bora and I sat opposite Daehyun and YoungJae.

 

"Yah, are you two going to keep staring at one another like that?"

 

I blinked and looked away from Daehyun to YoungJae, "Bwoh?"

 

Bora giggled next to me, "You've been staring at one another for almost fifteen minutes."

 

I felt my face heat up, "Ah jinjja? Mianhe."

 

Daehyun nudged YoungJae in the ribs, "Nothing to be sorry about."

 

The moment he locked his eyes with mine again, I was awestruck by the intensity in his gaze.

 

"Areum ah, there is nothing about your accident at all. All these news articles even the online ones show nothing."

 

I snapped away from Daehyun's piercing gaze and looked at Bora, "That's weird. I mean, I can't remember much but all accidents should be listed somewhere right?"

 

The four of us gasped, "Traffic records. Police!"

 

We laughed and high fived each other, all of us heaving a sigh of relief that we could move on with our investigation.

 

"Just one thing, how are we going to get traffic accident records from the police from three years ago?"

 

All of us turned to YoungJae and realised we had our work cut out for us. He was right, how are we going to dig up information from the authorities?

 

"And to be honest here, though the both of you had recollections of one another before, but you can't be so sure that both of you got into the same accident."

 

Again, YoungJae was right. It could just be a coincidence. Daehyun and I were digesting the information YoungJae threw at us.

 

It was important we find out about our accident first so that we can have a chance at regaining our memories.

 

"Don't you think our parents will have more authority to ask for information like that?"

 

I looked at Bora, "You're right but my mother seemed so scared when I mentioned Daehyun. I don't think I'll get anything out of my parents."

 

"You told your parents about me?" Daehyun asked.

 

"Ani, I asked my mother about you. She acted so strange when I said your name," I mumbled as he watched me.

 

YoungJae stood up, "Well no worries, Bora and I will help. Our parents may have a little power to access those records. I hope."

 

Bora tapped her fingers on the table, "The accident must have been really low key since we don't know much about it and info is so scarce."

 

Daehyun scoffed, "It's pretty easy for our parents with that much power to silence the media about it."

 

"Well, they can silence the media, but the records will state everything," I smoothed my dress down and started feeling a little better about our plight.

 

"Hey, Bora and I will work on it, my cousin is a police offocer, hopefully he can help too," YoungJae muttered smartly while glancing at Bora playfully.

 

All of us stood up and my phone rang, "Yeoboseyo?"

 

"Areum ah."

 

"Oh umma."

 

"Your father is home, he wants to speak with you."

 

"About what?"

 

"About your fainting incident yesterday."

 

"Ah nae."

 

"Get Bora to send you back."

 

"Arasso."

 

My mother hung up and Dae watched me, "Need to go back?"

 

I nodded, "My mother thinks I'm out with Bora. Which is partially true."

 

Bora giggled and I nudged her.

 

"Yah, you both get home safely, I'll drive Daehyun back, he can't drive since the accident," YoungJae joked sarcastically.

 

Bora nearly squealed, "No way, I've become Areum's driver because of her trauma of driving too!"

 

Daehyun and I rolled our eyes, "We can drive on our own."

 

We laughed as we said the same thing while YoungJae and Bora watched us.

 

"Yah!"

 

YoungJae threw the keys to Daehyun, "Drive yourself, I'm going to visit my cousin at the police station."

 

He strode off and Daehyun stared at the car keys in horror. "Y-Yah!"

 

"Keep it I'm not driving you!"

 

I couldn't help laughing, "Good thing I have Bora with me-"

 

"Yah! Wait up for me!" Bora ran off with YoungJae and I stood there dumbfounded.

 

"Bora ah!"

 

"Annyeong!" She waved back at me and I stood there stunned. What the hell? I can't drive!

 

Daehyun stared at me while I stared at the keys in his hands.

 

"Are you, gonna drive?"

 

His hands trembled slightly, "I don't think I can."

 

"Don't look at me I can't either."

 

He sighed, "Since the accident, I've had a trauma of driving."

 

I understood how he felt totally, "Hey don't stress, we'll take a cab home."

 

He smiled warmly and tucked the keys in his pockets, "Let's take a cab home then."