Irene’s Smile

The only promise that Irene can keep.

I, Kang Seulgi is with my friends, Joy, Yeri, Wendy and Irene at my room. I don’t know how and when they choose a house to hang out, and I just get up from my bed when Kim Yerim is already jumping on my bed.

“You will break my precious bed!!!” I shout and get up. Yeri stops jumping then I look around, Joy finding a magazine on my bookshelf, Wendy already eating the food that my mom probably give to them and Irene is checking my phone.

“Who’s this YooA??” Irene asks.

“Ah, the girl who likes Seulgi,” Yeri said as she gets down from my bed.

“Wait, how you knew the password on my phone?!” I ask.

“We all knew,” They all answer me in unison. I just facepalm myself, embarrass I guess.

“Seulgi is simple-minded, it’s only her birthday,” Wendy said.

“What are you guys doing here?” I finally ask. Irene just puts my phone on my study desk and just hug me. I just smile at her then she smiles back at me. I really like her smile, especially when she’s smiling at me with her whole teeth showing.

“We're here to talk about our competitors!” Yeri said. “Gather up minions!” Yeri said.

“She never move on from that minion movie, isn’t she?” Joy side commented then Yeri just kick her. “That’s hurt, you idiot!” Joy said then smack Yeri. Then they chase each other at my room. The view is not unusual. It’s abnormal if they’re not fighting.

“We have big competitors!!”Wendy said

“Who?” I ask then we all seat on the ground while Irene seat at my lap, facing them.

“Are you two are sure that you’re not dating yet?” Joy asks after seeing our position. I blush at it, and I know that my reaction makes it visible.

“Yeah, we’re always like this, when we’re alone, we did more than this,” Irene said. “I normally sit at her laps since we’re little, it becomes a hobby, I think,” Irene said. Then they all nod. I just left a sigh, not trusting my words, I might slit that I like Irene, oh. Do I like her?

“So back to our topic,” Wendy said.

“Heol! The foods are already half finish!” Yeri said.

“Okay, the competitors are-“

“Wendy keeps eating earlier. You should left something for us!” Joy said.

“Can’t we just talk-“

“Seulgi, who’s that YooA girl? I thought I’m the only one?” Irene suddenly asks.

“Poor Wendy,” I said. Then they all look at Wendy who looks like a lost puppy. A pout with sad eyes.

“Okay, we’re sorry,” Yeri said. “So who are the competitors?” Yeri asks.

“Irene’s friends, Jisoo, Jennie, Lisa and Rose then another group, Nayeon and her friends,” Wendy said.

“Sound already rough,” Joy said. “Can we keep up with them?” Joy added.

 “Why are you worried?? You guys have me so we will win!” Yeri said then get up and pose like the statue of liberty.

“We will win because you guys have me! That’s a fact!!!” Joy said.

“Stop dreaming you two, the biggest advantage we have here is having Irene as our member,” Wendy said.

“No, it’s because you guys have Seulgi,” Irene said it with so much cheesiness. I should have my heart flutter, but I feel nothing but embarrassment after Irene said it. 

“Oh so cringy,”

“That was so cringed,”

“Please behave,”

Irene starts laughing aloud, and we’re laughing along with her. Then we talk, and we talk up until what our group name will be.

“Screw that, and I want to eat cake! Wendy eat it all!” Yeri said.

“It’s not my fault!” Wendy defends herself.

“Let’s just buy red velvet cake, I’m craving for some quite time now,” I said.

“Oh, red velvet!” Joy said. “That’s a good name!!!” Joy said.

“WHAT!?” We all ask this lunatic.

“What is this girl is saying?” Yeri asks then Joy hit her. I saw Irene flash a smile.

“I mean, we can be both like Nayeon’s team that are cute and bubbly like a Red then we can be like Jisoo’s team that is fierce and hot like Velvet,” We become quite so Joy continue. But it’s already a good idea. “We have Wendy and Yeri who are naturally cute and naughty while Irene and I are naturally y and hot-“

“Stop complimenting yourself!” Yeri said Joy smack her again. (Now count how many time Joy hit Yeri)

“Then we have Seulgi who can balance then naturally,” Joy continues. We all stunned at her explanation, so we all clap at her.

“Wow, that’s good! You’re right about Seulgi, her appearance is hot and y, but her personality is adorable!” Irene said.

“She never misses to compliment you, Seulgi,” Wendy said then we all laugh. “So Red Velvet it is,” Wendy said.

“So the songs now are the problem, we need to compose it,” I said. We all sigh as we realize that problem.

“Why are you so worried again? I already said it that you guys have me!” Yeri said then about to stand again but stop by Joy.

“But yeah, Yeri likes to write lyrics and Wendy can play many instruments,” I said. Then we look at Wendy to Yeri and Yeri to Wendy.

“Fine.” They both said.

“I am only planning on saying it as a joke though,” Yeri said then we all laugh again. I touch Irene’s lap then Irene looks at me.

“My lap hurts,” I said. Then Irene nod and just seat next to me. “So now the choreography,” I said.

“Why you only realize problems?” Yeri asks me then Joy laugh at it then they all laugh along with it. “Can’t you say something good?” Yeri asks me again.

“We have you, you do it,” Wendy said. I become quiet. They all laugh at me, did I just dig my own grave?

“Leader?”

“Of course me,”

“Not you Satan, it’s me” (Guess who’s this Satan?)

“It’s definitely not you too Lucifer,” (Guess who’s this Lucifer?)

“Wendy? I mean, she’s student council president,”

“I don’t want to add more responsibility at my shoulder now,”

“So now me?”

“You can’t bear,”

“So Irene”

“…………..”

“So it’s Irene,” 

 

“Woah, it’s enjoyable!” Irene said as we walk along the roadside of Han River. “They’re fun to be with!” Irene said with much excitement.

“It’s good that you’re having fun,” I said. It’s my first time hearing Irene saying she’s having fun other than with me. “They’re funny kid, you see, you click well with them,” I said. Then Irene nods furiously, like a child then I just laugh at her cuteness.

“I want to be close to them, like super close with them!” Irene said. “It’s amusing. I will hang out with them now!!” Irene said then jump around like a cute bunny whose smiling ear-to-ear.

“Yeah, yeah,” I said then Irene stop jumping around and face me.

“Thank you for introducing them to me. I don’t hate now when you mention them,” Oh right, I’m not supposed to talk about others when we’re together.

“Its fine, I’m glad that you help us and I worried that you might be uncomfortable with them but you guys really click well together,” I said. Irene smile at me again.

“Yeah, but who’s the YooA girl?” Irene asks. She will never forget about it, doesn’t she? 

“A friend,” I said.

“Who likes you?” Irene asks. I just look away then nod.

“But I only see her as a friend, she’s my friend in the dance club,” I said. Irene just nods and pout. “Please don’t pout…” I said. I panic a little because I don’t like seeing Irene sad. “I will give you candy!” I said. That’s the only thing I can offer.

Irene finally laughs at my offer, maybe finding it funny and stupid, but I don’t care. Her smile is the most precious thing for me, for I promise to make her happy.

 

To me there is no picture so beautiful as her smile, bright-eyed; There is no music that is better than her laughter.                 

-------------------------

Hope you guys are enjoying reading my story :)