Take Me Back

Symmetry
Please log in to read the full chapter

    A week of gruelling dance practice for their first performance since the accident had passed. Moonbyul felt like her legs were going to fall off as she stumbled across the studio to gather her coat out of a corner, the phone in its pocket ringing nonstop. As she bent down to pick it up, a raspy voice echoed throughout the room behind her. A feeling of dread passed through her as each word was pronounced.

    “Byulyi it’s time to go.”

    It felt like the air was kicked out of her and her vision blackened for a moment before she was suddenly back in her bedroom hand raised to open the door. Hyejin was no doubt waiting for on the other side exactly as she had left her before she had been plunged into the sinking van. She looked down taking note that she was still in her practice clothes before swinging the door open angrily. Her face was flushed, and clenched fists were shaking at her sides.

    “No!” Moonbyul screamed with all the rage building up in her system, “No! Take me back!”

    Hyejin stood motionless and wide-eyed by the front door, nearly 12 minutes had passed from the time her friend had gone into her room until now. Her appearance was flushed, clothes a sweaty mess and her hair had faded from it’s freshly coloured blonde to needing her roots touched up desperately. There was no doubt left in her mind, something serious was happening to Moonbyul.

    “I said take me back!”

    Moonbyul furiously grabbed a hat from the couch and hurled it across the room. She let out a frustrated scream when it landed with a soft thud on the floor. Hyejin finally found her wits and ran over to her friend embracing her as firmly as she could. Moonbyul fought back with what little adrenaline she had left until she was a sobbing into Hyejin’s shoulder.

    “What in the world is happening to you?” Hyejin whispered in her ear.

    “It’s been a month since I was through back into my world. Why am I here again? I don’t want to be here.”

    “It felt like 15 minutes to me.” Hyejin squeezed her more feeling a new wave of sobs, “We need to find out what’s happening to you.”

    “I think you brought back. Your voice brought me back here.” Moonbyul pulled away and moved to sit on the couch hugging her knees to her chest.

    “Me? All I said was it’s time to go.” Hyejin wasn’t sure how any of this it was even possible, “What happened?”

    Moonbyul took a deep breath to steady her nerves and calm herself down enough to talk properly. It was a few minutes before she was able to speak again. She told her everything that had happened from the time she was plunged back into the sinking van until she was in her bedroom once more as if nothing had transpired.

    “I believe you. I seriously believe you.” Hyejin rubbed her temples as she let it all sink in, “Let’s say both of these places are real, how are you travelling between the two? Time spent in one world isn’t causing any real difference to the other. Though it’s obviously taking its toll on your body.”

    “Why am I going between them to begin with? What the hell is wrong with me?” Moonbyul buried her face in her hoodie as she demanded her tears to dry up.

    “I brought you here right? Does that mean the other me could call you back to that place?”

    “I don’t have the same relationship with that Hyejin. Wheein is more likely able to call me back. Fat chance of that happening I was alone when this happened.” Her voice was muffled and cracking under the strain of getting her emotions under control.

    “I’m going to cancel the car and order some delivery. We’ll try to figure this out.” Hyejin gave Moonbyul a pat on the head before stepping outside to make a quick phone call.

    Moonbyul retrieved her phone from her back pocket and pulled up their group chat. She didn’t feel like Hyejin should have to shoulder the burden alone. She quickly typed up a plea for beer, chicken and all of the members to meet with her as soon as their schedules would allow. It didn’t take long for Hyejin to come back into the room questioning whether Moonbyul was sure she wanted to fill in the rest of the group. Moonbyul simply nodded and got off the couch to take a shower.

    Hyejin ordered the chicken while the other two members brought over the alcohol. By the time they had all gathered together Moonbyul’s mood had significantly brightened. She was still angry, and it showed in her tensed posture as they ate, but she felt she was able to relax a li

Please log in to read the full chapter