The Present 

Symmetry
Please log in to read the full chapter

    Mamamoo sat on stools in the middle of a large stage as a band played behind them for the final practice session of the day. Moonbyul waited patiently for her small contribution to the chorus as Solar belted out her emotional lyrics. She kept her eyes down on the floor watching as the spotlight illuminating her swayed ever so slightly, making a mental note to make sure it was fixed before the actual performance. As the song ended and they began warming up for the next one, she noticed the light was moving much faster and looked up to see what was causing such an annoying sway. Everything from that moment on happened so quickly, darkness filled her vision, and the piercing screams of Solar beside her filtered harshly through her ears.

    Wheein had heard the loud snap of metal as the spotlight above Moonbyul fell landing on her with a hard crack. She was barely breathing and wasn't moving at all, that's what scared the girls the most. Solar cried as she attempted to get any reaction out of the rapper by gently squeezing her hands.

Any sign of life would do.

    “Someone call an ambulance!” Hyejin shouted angrily as she ran off stage to retrieve her own smart phone leaving Wheein shaking beside Solar in shock. The stage around them was in absolute chaos.

    Moonbyul was rushed to the hospital and straight into surgery. The rest of Mamamoo waited restlessly with their management team and Moonbyul's family. The stage light had landed on her head and bounced off her right shoulder before falling to the ground.

    "I should have pushed her out of the way." Solar repeated to herself, “I was right beside her I could have pushed her out of the way.”

    "Unnie it's not your fault. Stop blaming yourself." Hyejin hugged her tightly as she said this, “No one saw it coming there is no way you could have reacted in time.”

    “I heard it snap.” Wheein whispered with red eyes.

    “It’s not your fault either.”

     After two hours a doctor finally arrived in the waiting room to give them an update. The surgery was a success, but she reacted poorly to the anaesthesia and was currently in a coma. She was being monitored closely for the time being. He led them down a long hallway to Moonbyul’s room and allowed them to stay a few minutes. They came back every day for the next four days reading to her or simply eating a meal together. Her parents never left her side.

    Hyejin held her breath as she watched Moonbyul slowly begin to clench and unclench her fist while they took a break to eat in her room. She silently called the other girls over with a frantic flick of the wrist. They were all crowded around her bed relieved at the progress she was finally showing. Moonbyul suddenly sat up straight as a stick gasping loudly for air and punching the space in front of her with her right fist as if her life depended on it. A nurse heard the commotion and hastily ran into the room to check Moonbyul's vitals and coax her back down on the bed before she did any damage to herself or the expensive equipment attached to her. She looked around the room confused and out of breath, heart rate high but beeping steadily at them through the monitor.

    “Wheein-ah you’re still alive!” Moonbyul began to cry trying to get out of bed to embrace the younger girl but was halted by the nurse holding her down, “Let go of me. What happened? Where am I?"

     "A stage light fell on your head. They rushed you to surgery, but you didn’t wake up. You’ve been in a coma the last four days." Solar quickly explained getting teary eyed once more.

    "A stage light? That doesn’t make any sense.” Moonbyul was confused, emotional and trying so desperately to not hyperventilate. Her heart was racing a mile a minute just seeing the smiles on all their faces, but none of it made any sense to her.

    "How do you feel?" Wheein leaned over and took one of Moonbyul's hands helping her calm down so the nurse could finish checking her.

    "As long as you're here I'll be fine my Angel." Moonbyul gave a weak, cheeky smile.

    Hyejin lightly smacked Moonbyul's leg, "Hey don't act like everything is okay. It's not, you big idiot.”

    As soon as the doctor arrived everyone was forced to leave the room so a thorough examination could be held. The doctor stopped in the hallway long enough to give a good report of health and an estimate that she will be released as soon as the following week with strict orders to rest at home.

    Moonbyul was ecstatic to finally leave the hospital two weeks later. She rode in the back of the van snuggling up to Wheein with a giant smile on her face, clinging to her all the way to her apartment. Wheein curiously allowed Moonbyul to keep hold of her hand and lead her into the apartment. She had been more clingy than normal since waking up from her coma; Wheein only thought it was weird because the clinginess seemed only to be aimed at herself.

    “Will you stay with me tonight? I really don’t want to be alone anymore.” Moonbyul quietly asked with her back towards Wheein as she took in the messy state of her apartment. She wanted to sweep the smaller girl off her feet and ravish her right there, but her odd behaviour kept her from doing so. Holding hands would have to suffice for the time being.

    “I don’t mind. It will be like the days when we bunked togeth

Please log in to read the full chapter