IV.

Devil May Cry

Jihoon jerks awake, his body trembling and there are tears on his eyes. He looks around and wonders what had happened. He starts to cry but just like before, he cries alone, he cries soundlessly and no one cares.

Jihoon sniffs as he reaches for the only picture he had since he is young, the only picture he is able to save from their house which is taken by the bank because of the unpaid debts his parents had before they met an accident. A car accident that took his parents' and his older brother's life.

Jihoon stares hard at the picture which shows a three-year old boy grinning happily towards the camera seated on his mother's lap who is caught laughing as she stares at her husband who is carrying a smiling six-year old boy on his back. Where did these moments go? Why does my memory always remind me that I was loved, that I was wanted, that I belonged, that I had a family? Why does my memory remind me the pain of losing such life?

Jihoon throws the picture against the wall because of pure agony. Its broken frame scattered around Jihoon's bedroom. Jihoon realizing what he had done, sprints towards the picture. The sole of his feet is bleeding and some fragments of the broken glass tears his skin but Jihoon doesn't mind. He holds the picture against his chest. No pain can surpass the pain he is feeling. The pain of being lost. Lost in your own memories and fears.

 

†††
"Are you ok?"

Jihoon looks up as he picks his books which are scattered on the floor. He is heading towards the library to do some studying, which is Jihoon's front. The truth is, he will just stay there to get some sleep. Although the weird dream he had about someone trying to kill him and get his soul is set in the library, and it gives him creeps just by thinking of it, he decided to face his fear because the library is the only place he felt relax. The serenity and stillness of the place calms Jihoon and the quietness and opposing buzzing sounds that the occupants of the library produce clears Jihoon's head. He is halfway there when a racing bicycle passes by him and hits him, sending the books he is holding flying all over the place. The bicycle rider didn't even care to stop and check if Jihoon's okay, instead he races away, faster.

"Are you okay?"

Jihoon stares and is met by a stranger's concern face. A not-so-stranger.

"Yeah." Jihoon turns his attention back at his books, his heart beating and his mind doing all the thinking it can in a nanosecond. Jihoon thinks that he is seeing the devil. Not just an ordinary devil, but THE devil.

The man kneels and helps Jihoon in collecting his books. The man steals glance at Jihoon who keeps on ignoring him.

"What happened?" The man asks as he hands the books to Jihoon.

"I was hit by some random kid who confuses his bicycle with a rocket." Jihoon says. The man starts laughing.

"What?" Jihoon stares at the man who is laughing hard. "You are really something." The stranger says, still laughing.

It's been a while since Jihoon heard a person laugh because of him, because of his wit and sarcasm. It's been a while. Jihoon feels the butterfly in his stomach just by hearing the rich voice of the man and the way he laughs that makes him glow.

"Seungcheol-hyung! Let's go! We will be late!"

The man throws his hand up and gives the man who called him a thumbs up.

"I need to go now. Take care of yourself. Be careful next time, okay?" The man tilts his head and Jihoon swears that the man, whose name is Seungcheol, is a living testament that there are perfect beings walking with us.

Jihoon just nods his head as Seungcheol runs towards the man who called him. "See you around, Jihoon!"

Jihoon's brows knit and he replays the whole scene inside his head. Did I mention my name? As far as I remember, I did not. So how did-

But before he can make any conclusions, the bell starts ringing and Jihoon forgets all those things as he dashes for his room.

 

†††

Jihoon sighs as he computes all of his expenses, his bills are piling up and that is not a good thing. If this keeps on happening, if he can't pay all these, in no time his apartment which is the only possession he had, the only possession his parents had given him will be gone in a blink of an eye. With all these bills and his college tuition, Jihoon will be forced to sell the apartment.

His one-bedroom apartment is the type which we can say that, it's not that bad.

The receiving room is big enough, the kitchen is big enough, the comfort room is big enough and the bedroom is big enough. There is also a big enough storage room, which can pass as a second bedroom. His apartment is near enough at the university where he is studying. It is enough for Jihoon. But if he wants to keep the apartment he needs to do something. He needs money and having a second job aside from being an office clerk will surely kill him. He tried it before, at first it was okay. Student by 7:00am to 4:00pm; Office assistant by 4:30pm to 11:00pm and waiting tables by 12:00mn to 6:00am. His mind was alright but his body screams the opposite. Jihoon decided to keep the office clerk job because he is not an early bird which the waiting tables requires.

So getting a second job is never an option. Jihoon thinks of another way to earn money and flinches at the type of jobs he thought of. Jihoon shrugs and erases those in his mind when his eyes fell on the doorknob and a bright idea crosses him.

"Why not?" Jihoon utters to himself. Jihoon gets a clean slate of paper and in his best writing he writes, 'Room for Rent.' and posts it outside his door.

It had been 3 weeks since he posted it and no one seems to notice or even read it. So now, Jihoon decides to put the post down but when he opens his door there is a man standing in front of him with the paper on his hand.

"Hi! I was about to knock and ask about this 'Room for Rent' sign. I would just ask if it's still available?"

Jihoon feels his knees buckle a bit as he stares at the man in front of him. The man is wearing a plain white tee and a pair of denim ripped jeans with his hair messy. Jihoon nods.

"It is still available? Great!" The man smiles, his Indian dimples showing. "When can I move?"

"Whenever you want." Jihoon answers, afraid on opening the talk about how much the rent will be. As if the man can read his mind says, "I'll pay how much you want me to pay."

Jihoon grins and let the man inside his apartment. "The apartment is not that big and your bedroom is not that big." Jihoon says, better tell the truth before the man can discover it by himself.

"No, it is perfect. It's cozy and is very near to the university." The man answers as he goes straight to the storage room which will be his bedroom. "W-wait! I hadn't cleaned your room yet!" Jihoon shouts as the man opens the storage room which is full of cobwebs and dust.

Jihoon maneuvers and closes the door, with his back at his door and the man in front of him. He is sandwiched between two sturdy wall. "I'll clean it first..." Jihoon nervously laughs. "When do you want to move?"

"Now." The man lifts his brow and smiles in amusement. "N-now?!" Jihoon chokes. "Isn't it too soon?"

"If you want to, I could look for other apart-"

"Yes! Of course! You could move in now. But could you do it later in the evening? I would like to clean your room first. It's been a long time since this room is used. There is some dust that needs to be wiped." Jihoon utters.

"Then it's a deal then! I'll be moving in later this evening. Just tell me how much would be my rent and I'm willing to pay it with three-months advance and two-months deposit." Jihoon's jaw drops as he heard the man. That amount of money can pay all of his bills and there will be some left which he can use as a payment for future bills.

The man offers his hand towards Jihoon and Jihoon takes it without hesitation. It's like he had done it before. It feels all natural to him. His hand is slightly squeezed by the man and the warmth that it gives Jihoon feels like home. Jihoon is home.

"I don't think I properly introduced myself when we first met. By the way, I am Choi Seungcheol." The man says, still holding Jihoon's hand.

"I am Lee Jihoon."

"I know." Seungcheol smirks.

"Nice to see you again Hoonie."