XIX.

Devil May Cry

"I think it's time to capture the devil, don't you think?"

The man who came from school stares at his great grandfather who just spoke. If you don't know the older man, you might think that the two of them were father and son, he looks younger than his actual age. The younger opens his bag and produces a golden knife.

"Jihoon was absent. I think the devils are now planning something."

"Does Jihoon know?"

"I don't think so. But sooner or later he will know about it."

The younger stares at the golden dagger. Thousands of devils perished because of that small sharp object. A dagger which was passed generation after generation. The treasure of their clan, their secret, their curse.

"The Heavens are also making their move. I can check the 'Met an archangel' off of my bucket list. I saw one with Jihoon. I don't know if Jihoon knows that his enemy is nearer to him than he expected, and if that archangel knows I'm a hunter but God sees everything, right?"

The older man clicks his tongue then massages his temples as if doing that could ease the migraine he's been suffering for 20 years.

"Are they after that demon too? If they are, that will complicate things."

The younger man shakes his head.

"No. They are after Jihoon. I think they want him either dead or back where he belongs, in heaven's death hole."

The older man laughs, wiping the mirth off his eyes.

"This is getting interesting. So, they want him back."

"But it's kind of sad though. I mean, Seungcheol is a good guy. He cares for Jihoon or at least his façade is, and Jihoon seems to like him."

The older man raises an eyebrow, he snickers and looks at the younger in amusement.

"Are you having a change of heart just because you met this so-called Seungcheol? A warm hearted, caring and kind Seungcheol?" He spits every word like it was venom.

The younger man glares at him.

"Do not forget why we are doing this for almost a millennium now. It's to avenge our ancestor who was tricked by a demon to side with them. Demons are the reason why our clan is cursed! They are the reason why every person we love dies! They are the reason why your great grandmother died! Why your grandparents died! Why your parents died!" His great grandfather's eyes are ambers of seething fire. He is so mad that he was able to abruptly stand though it hurts him to do so.

"Don't be foolish. I'm no angel." The younger man says, watching the old man even his ragged breathing. Seething mad is an understatement to describe what his great grandfather looks right now.

"It's my duty to kill every single demon I chance to meet. Even if they happen to be a good kind of demon."

 

†††

Jihoon cannot feel his legs anymore, everything that Seungcheol told him seems so far-fetched but meeting a devil and having him talking to you seemed far-fetched too but it happened to Jihoon.

Jihoon stares at Seungcheol, processing the things that the devil said.

The war that the King of Hell is scheming, the weapon he is planning to use which according to his own understanding will be him, Lee Jihoon, because he is Lucifer's twin, who was the creator of Hell. But, the King doesn't know about it yet, all he knows is that Lee Jihoon might be Lucifer himself or the other half of Lucifer. Either way, he believes that Jihoon is powerful, that's why he wants Jihoon. The secret agreement among the three princes of Hell that they will protect Jihoon from the King since the only way to know if Jihoon really is powerful is to kill him, they will not allow that, especially the First Born Prince.

But those are not what caused Jihoon to feel scared. The fact that there is another soul inside his body that can steal his time and consciousness is enough for him to lost all the strength in his legs causing him to fall helplessly on the floor. The First Born Prince was about to reach for him but Jihoon stops him by waving his hand.

"So, you're saying that there is a-another soul inside my body and he is as powerful of that Lucifer?" Seungcheol nods solemnly. He watches as Jihoon's small body shudders, maybe it's too soon to tell Jihoon the truth, mostly half of it. Seungcheol left the parts where he and Jihoon are cursed lovers out. It will be too much and the devil knows it.

"This... This other soul of mine, did you- by any chance, meet him?"

Seungcheol doesn't need to answer for Jihoon to know. Jihoon feels his whole world scramble in front of him. He sits, folds his knees and hugs it.

Just when I thought that I'm turning my life in a better one, I have friends now, I am happy now. I am contented, living isn't as bad now compared before. I am slowly learning to live my life to the fullest. And yet, and yet, this happens.

"Maybe it's just a misunderstanding? Maybe you got the wrong person?" Jihoon pleads but Seungcheol just approached him and touched his cheek. Jihoon cannot help but lean against the warm touch.

"I'm sorry." Seungcheol murmurs. Jihoon allows the tears to flow down his cheeks.

"I'm scared."

"I know. I'll protect you, Jihoon." Seungcheol promises and Jihoon eases a bit. He reaches for the First Born Prince of Hell and is welcomed by the warmth that only Seungcheol can give him. Seungcheol cages Jihoon's shivering form in a tight embrace.

Seungcheol lets Jihoon relax and in a few minutes Jihoon had fallen asleep in his arms and if that didn't make Seungcheol's non-existing black heart to flutter what else can make it?

 

†††

"We need to tell Jihoon to it all up and just let the other Jihoon take over his body. End of problem." Jeonghan rolls his eyes as he saunters inside the First Born's room. They are all in Hell, watching how their King turns every wounded soul into a new form of killing machines. Loyal and completely out of their minds, a perfect soldier based on Second Born's opinion.

"Which Jihoon are we talking about here? Which Jihoon will stay and which will go?" Jeonghan makes a face at Third Born's naivety or bad jokes or lack of common sense, he's not sure anymore.

"Of course! The original one! The powerful one."

"Woozi." The First Born suddenly speaks, grabbing the two bickering princes' attention.

"Huh?"

"Let's call the original form Woozi to avoid confusion." The First Born walks towards the window overlooking the entire Hell in its dark, eerie and intimidating glory.

Jeonghan just narrows his eyes while Jisoo shrugs, both of them knowing that if they ask the First Born they will just be met by silence.

"How did Jihoon take the information?" Jisoo asks, but his eyes are trained at Jeonghan who lies on the First Born's bed. His silvery hair, spreads around his head, like a halo. Jeonghan looks like an angel.

"He took it hard." Seungcheol simply says, emitting the part where he promised Jihoon that he will protect him at all cost.

"What's your plan now, First Born? Jihoon knows about his other soul and the King of Hell is completing his army. The heaven is set to take Jihoon back and don't tell me, you didn't feel the aura of a hunter inside that room." Jisoo's too many questions make Seungcheol's head swirl.

"Are you talking about the day when Jihoon's friends stopped by? Oh boy, I felt it too. That hunter is one powerful motherer." Jeonghan grins.

"Watch your tongue, Second Born." Jisoo hisses. Jeonghan sweetly smiles and shows Third Born his middle finger. Jisoo rolls his eyes.

"I know. There was also an archangel." Seungcheol glances at his brothers. As usual, they are bickering but the way the Third Born softens every time the Second Born smiles at him didn’t go unnoticed.

“How’s the King’s plan?” Seungcheol asks.

“He is good to go.” Jeonghan smiles without mirth on his eyes. Seungcheol’s body stiffens, he didn’t expect the King to move too fast. Isn’t it a bit too early?

“You know what humans say, early bird catches colds or something like that.” Jeonghan pouts, trying to remember an idiom he heard when he was wandering at the human realm.

Seungcheol throws a questioning glance at Jisoo’s direction. The other devil’s face was also deep in thought. It was the Third Born who verbalized what was bugging his mind.

“If the First Born and Second born are here and I was not personally approach by your highness, then, who will lead the rebellion?”

Jeonghan’s laugh echoes in the entire room. He stares at his brothers and feels like he was the most intelligent devil ever created.

“Of course! The King himself will lead his army.”