XIV.

Devil May Cry

Lee Jihoon's eyes flicker as the sunlight greets his pale face. He covers it with his arm but it is no use. He stares at the ashed house in front of him. The house that he had lived in all his life, which he doesn't remember because his memories is swept into blank when he is raised from the dead. He only knows that this house in front of him is burnt down by the angry townspeople when they saw Jihoon walking out of it.

Jihoon hides further behind the bush when two women pass by him. He can clearly hear the uncertainty and fear in the women's voices.

"Are they sure that that's Lee Jihoon? But he's dead right? We saw him dead and his own blood was pooling around him." the first woman says.

"Yes. But according to Lord Park, he heard someone screaming from the house so he went to look to whom does that voice belong to and he saw Jihoon alive and breathing, cradling Master Choi Seungcheol who is unconscious and it turned out, Master Choi Seungcheol is dead."

"Goodness gracious! That's so frightening!"

"I know. But according to the whispers on the street, they are saying that Lee Jihoon came back from the dead by feeding the life out of Master Choi Seungcheol." the second woman whispers which makes the other woman squeal.

"Goodness! Stop! I'm getting scared now. Come on, let's walk faster. We're in front of the cursed house." Jihoon watches as the two women walk in a quick pace.

Jihoon stares at the burnt down house and contemplates to himself.

"I am Lee Jihoon and I am dead. No, I WAS dead and I fed out the life of a certain Choi Seungcheol to be alive again?"

Jihoon is confused. His head is spinning and it makes him nauseous. But the ache in his head is not a fraction to the pain he is feeling inside his heart. He can feel his heart breaking if that's even possible. For unknown reason, he just wanted to see someone, but who? He can't remember who he is, he can't remember what year it was, he can't remember why he is hiding behind the bush and is feeling afraid for his second life if what he heard is true. He can't even be sure if he's a human afterall.

Jihoon looks around and when he was certain that no one is around, he gets to his feet and starts to walk inside the forest opposite the burnt house. He groggily walks as if it's his first time to walk on two feet. He clings at the trees he passes by as a sort of support. Jihoon starts to feel tired and decides to stop for a moment. He sits at a root of a tree that protruded from the soil because of enormity. He sighs as he watch the sky slowly turns into a bright orange, signalling the coming of the night.

Jihoon sits there. Doing nothing, thinking nothing, feeling nothing. He shuts down totally that even the heartache and confusion he's feeling awhile ago vanished. His mind and body is blank, as well as his heart.

"Lee Jihoon, why are you like that?"

A voice from inside his head asks, making Jihoon jerk on his seat.

"Who-who are you?" Jihoon inquires back, whispering the last sentence he uttered. "Who am I?"

"I am you and you are me."

"Huh? I can't understand. Why am I dead? Who killed me? Why can't I remember anything? Not even my name, not the name of the dead man who's in my arms. I can't remember anything! I don't have any memories of me before the burning of that house happened." Jihoon begins to cry because of the frustration he feels.

"Don't be afraid, my child. You've been renewed. I had given you new life as a gift. All of your memories and hurtings were all washed away, for you to have a brand new life."

"If that's true. If you've given me a new life, why are the people saying that I fed the life out of a certain Choi Seungcheol to be alive again?" Jihoon hiccups and there is a stunned silence from the man who is talking to him inside his head.

"Choi Seungcheol is just a human who happened to live in that house."

Jihoon waits for the continuation of the statement but it didn't come. He feels like the man inside his head is avoiding to talk about that topic.

"Who are you?" Jihoon asks one more time, wiping his tears away.

"I am Lucifer."

"Lu-Lucifer?"

"Don't doubt me, my child. We are one."

"What do you mean we are one?" Jihoon spots a lagoon nearby and heads to it. The beautiful night sky is reflected at its clear waters. The seemingly shy moon is covered by clouds.

"We complete each other. You completed me, I completed you. We are literally sharing one mind, one body and one soul."

Jihoon catches his reflection on the water and his eyes grow wide. He turns his head real quick to see if someone is behind him, but there is none. He rubs his eyes and glances at his reflection once again. And there it still is, a man behind him, towering him for a good two feet. His face is blank but there is a snarl on that thin black lips. What caught Jihoon's attention is the man's eyes. The color of the man's eyes is violet.

"I don't want to share anything to anyone, if he cannot tell me a simple truth." Jihoon meets the eye of the man behind him, the man smirks showing his long fang.

"Truth? Why do you need to know the truth, Jihoonie? The truth will just hurt you. You cannot handle it." the man answers, hugging Jihoon from his back. Jihoon's body feels heavier and colder as if somebody is really hugging him from the back. Afraid that he might see the man behind him, Jihoon closes his eyes and breathes deeply.

"I can handle it. Did I-did I really kill that man? Who is he? Who is he for me?" Jihoon opens his eyes and is greeted by the violet-eyed creature's demeaning stare.

"That man was Choi Seungcheol, your lover. You killed him because you want to live forever. You called me and we made a deal, by killing your lover, you will become immortal." The man says, watching as Jihoon's face contorts in disgust.

Did I really do that?

"Yes, Jihoonie. You did that. You are a monster." The man laughs. The echoes of the laughter inside Jihoon's brain is too loud that he cannot fight the nausea and spill the contents of his stomach.

"You killed the one person that trusted you and loved you. You are worse than those who are killing just for fun. You betrayed the man who cares for you, for what? For eternal life? YOU. ARE. A. MONSTER." Being a creature of darkness has its own perks, one is being a good liar.

"You're lying! I will not do such thing!"

"But you did! You want the truth right? That's the truth. You are a monster! An immortal monster, but a monster nonetheless." Lucifer shrugs and Jihoon wants to shut that voice in his head right now.

"Stop!" Jihoon covers his ears with his hands and breaks down on his knees.

"Monster. Lee Jihoon, you're a monster."

"Stop! Please stop!" Jihoon's cries are drowned by Lucifer's laugh.

"Monster! Monster! Monster!"

"I SAID ENOUGH!"

A powerful light suddenly engulfs Jihoon and Lucifer is forced out of Jihoon's body. Lucifer is in state of shock when Jihoon's eyes turn into a shade of violet similar to his. The skin on Jihoon's back, erupts and blood comes gushing out of it. Jihoon feels an excruciating pain causing him to scream out. A pair of blood colored wings spreads mightily at his back. The pair of wings starts flailing and Jihoon is suspended in the air.

"W-what... How did you..."

"I said enough! I don't want to hear your lies anymore! I don't want you near me again!" Jihoon's face is wet with his own tears and blood. Although he is still in the dark on why he has wings, one thing is for sure. Jihoon knows now that he is not a human. Did he know that he's not human before he died or did he transform after being reborn? No one will know, not even him since his own memories are gone.

Lucifer starts to do his incantations. A huge pentagram solidifies under his feet and his violet eyes glow. Lucifer stares at Jihoon and points his index finger at him. Lucifer closes his eyes and his form slowly turns into smoke.

Jihoon who senses the plan of Lucifer, holds his palm out and let out a blinding light and aims it at Lucifer. Lucifer's enchantments become too fast that Jihoon can't understand it. The smoke which is Lucifer, quickly makes it way towards Jihoon.

"I said leave me alone!" Jihoon shouts, closing his eyes tightly and leases the power at Lucifer. Lucifer is hit straight on his core making him groan in pain.

"I said I don't want you near me again!" Jihoon's eyes are still watering but there is determination behind those sad eyes.

"I was the one who gave you my soul. You're just a vessel and without me inside you, you are as good as a dead body. So how did you end up sharing same qualities with me. Not to mention, my powers are also transferred to you. What are you Lee Jihoon?" Lucifer asks, coughing. He rises on his feet though his soul is battered in every inch.

"I am someone who doesn't want to be near you again." Jihoon states, he holds his palm out and aims it back at Lucifer who chuckles.

"Easy there Jihoon. Okay, okay. I surrender. I don't know what happened but I'll let it slide for now. To set things straight, you can't kill me simply because we are one. Besides, I'm indestructible." Lucifer smirks and maintains his smoke form.

"I will just get another body and possess it. Pray to the God that we won't cross paths again, in this lifetime but also to the next ones. Because once I see you again, I'll kill you mercilessly. You are no use to me anymore. But since you gifted me with such beauty." Behind Lucifer, a man with chains on his neck, hands and feet stands with his head slightly bowed. Jihoon can't be mistaken that that man is the one he's cradling just a few hours ago. Choi Seungcheol.

"I'm feeling charitable tonight so, since you gave me this..." Lucifer pulls the chain around the man's neck, forcing him to make eye contact with Jihoon who is slowly descending from the air. Jihoon feels a pang of guilt and anger. Guilt because he knows that because of him, his lover, Choi Seungcheol died, and pure unprecedented anger towards Lucifer.

"Give him to me!" Jihoon snarls but before Jihoon can do something, Lucifer snaps his fingers and Seungcheol's soul vanishes.

"Nu uh. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. You don't want me near you, then I won't go near you but I'll take your lover's soul as an exchange."

"Did you know that your lover wished to see you in any of your next lifetimes? As if I'll allow that. You'll never meet again, Jihoon. If so, circumstances won't allow you to be together." Lucifer waves at him with his parting promise.

"To think about it, I don't need the other half of my soul. I am perfectly fine as it is. Even though you're the other half of my soul, I won't blink an eye in killing you and your lover, Choi Seungcheol. Once I knew that both of you had found each other, I'll not think twice in killing you on that very moment. You're useless to me and seeing that you also have powers, it's not a good sign, you know? There should only be one master in the house. So goodbye for now Jihoonie. The next time we'll meet again. I'm promising you, you and you lover will be dead."

Lucifer disappears and so is Jihoon's strength. His body slumps against the wet soil and his eyes, rolling at the back of his head. His eyes are now returning to its normal shade and his wings magically dissolves. With that, Jihoon loses his consciousness.

 

†††

Jihoon spent his time in searching for the answers that his brain had conjured. He started from the very beginning, left the town that nurtured him since he was young and moved from town to town. From there, he was able to at least know who Choi Seungcheol was in the eyes of the people that he were able to meet. There were only two words that was always being said when they hear Seungcheol's name, Lee Jihoon. How this Seungcheol can't stop thinking and talking about him to other people.

Jihoon, who went by the name Woozi, a merchant, to conceal his true identity, felt like his heart was fluttering but at the same time was breaking in thousand pieces. Although he couldn't remember anything, he could feel and tell that Choi Seungcheol really loved him.

Woozi discovered that Seungcheol was a wizard and to be such was prohibited at their town. That's the reason why Jihoon had been killed because the people suspected that he was the wizard. So one night, while Seungcheol was away, they attacked him and killed him. Seungcheol who badly wanted to resurrect him, called a creature from the darkness and gave his own soul for Jihoon to be resurrected.

The rest led Jihoon to this.

Jihoon began to practice wizardry and witchcraft. He studied the secrets of the world and thrived to better himself, physically, mentally, emotionally and magically. He looked for the answers and he found most of it. The biggest mystery had been solved too, Jihoon discerned what kind of creature he was.

After years and years of living, Jihoon found out that his immortality has its catch. His body ages, therefore it could die but his soul could not. In every lifetime, a Lee Jihoon was born and automatically, his soul was born with it. Same face, same, height, same attributes that he had the very first time he lived. The sad part was that, he could not fully claim the body because in every body there was a soul in it, so the original Lee Jihoon together with the soul in it shares the body of the recent Lee Jihoon. Soon, after four lifetimes, Jihoon had the hang of it. He could fully take control of the body whenever he wanted but there were times that he was forced to take over the body if the other soul is weak enough.

The year was 2015 and after almost 300 years, Jihoon was staying true to his quest. To look for Choi Seungcheol. The promise to apologize and ask for forgiveness for everything that happened, for all the pain and trouble he caused. The promise that if they would meet again, he would love Choi Seungcheol harder than ever before. The promise that he would protect Choi Seungcheol from Lucifer even if it would cause Jihoon's permanent death. Though it pained Jihoon that Choi Seungcheol was never in any of his lifetime, he would not stop looking for his love not until he met him face to face.

Unknown to him, after two years. He would meet his lover again but in a complicated and dangerous circumstance.

Choi Seungcheol had become one of Lucifer's descendants. He became the First Born Prince of Hell, the next in throne of the place that Jihoon tried his best to not associate himself into, as long as possible he doesn't want to be near any creatures from hell but this is what Lucifer wanted from the very beginning. For Choi Seungcheol and Lee Jihoon to meet and kill each other or if not, kill them both at the same time.