Sixteen

It's Not Fine

 

Sooyoung narrows her eyes suspiciously as she sees Tiffany following Taeyeon around like a puppy. She knows that they were close, they were usually around each other a lot but Tiffany is usually not this clingy and… was that aegyo? She almost scoffs out loud.  What the heck is going on?

 

They were at the amusement park and it was almost the end of filming. They just had to finish up with Tiffany’s surprise birthday celebration. The clips of them giving Tiffany well wishes were projected on the screen and they watched attentively, cringing when it was their turn. It was Taeyeon’s clip playing now and Sooyoung notices the words that Taeyeon uses. “Instead of best friends, I feel like we are more than that.” Everyone nodded thoughtfully, assuming that Taeyeon meant that they were like family, like sisters. But Sooyoung feels that this confession was different somehow, the vibes were not that of ‘sisters’. Maybe I’m overthinking this. She brushes the thoughts away. 
 

Breathing in the New York air, Sooyoung sighs blissfully as she opens her arms and twirls around.

“Guys don’t you think that the air smells different here?” She comments casually.

 

As Sooyoung picked herself to be her own guardian angel, she didn’t have the stress the others had in terms of picking a proper gift. So she spent time going into shops with the other members and was entertained by their anxieties. She chuckles when she sees Tiffany having a mental breakdown over the gift Sunny wanted as it was four times the amount they were allocated. 

Feeling amused, she decided to follow Taeyeon and tried to figure out who she was getting a gift for as it was not obvious when it came to her. 

She sees Taeyeon buy a gift from the accessories shop and then head to the pier for her interview. 

Wait, is Taeyeon… crying? Her eyes widened as Taeyeon publicly crying wasn’t a common sight at all. She could count on one hand the amount of times she has cried on camera the last 8 years. This is weird. Now, she is even more curious as to who her secret friend might be.

 

Taeyeon rarely cries on camera, she knows that people who love her and people she loves are watching. She never wants to burden them with her feelings.

But today, they were tasked with buying presents for each other, while keeping it a secret who they were getting it for. As luck would have it, Taeyeon picked Tiffany’s name and thus, had to buy the present for her.

Taeyeon thought deeply on what she should get. “Follow your heart,” Sunny says. And Taeyeon did. As they entered a shop, the production team told her that Tiffany was eyeing a book and that it could be a potential present. Taeyeon picks up the book and studies it. Nah, She places the book back on the table. This isn’t it

Her heart brings her to an accessories shop. Taeyeon scans the shop, picking up several things in the process, a few headbands, some hair ties. Everything was forgotten when she sees a bracelet. It was a simple one, a steel rod formed into a heart hooked on a silver chain. “You know when I said follow your heart, I didn’t mean literally getting her a heart.” Sunny jokes. But Taeyeon knew that it was perfect, a perfect gift for a perfect person.

After getting the gift, she was placed in front of the camera and requested to reflect on what life might be like without Tiffany. As soon as the thought encircled her brain, she felt a wave of apprehension and discomfort. Tears were involuntarily forming in her eyes. “A world without Tiffany would be dull.” Taeyeon states plainly. “There would be no joy in life.” She adds. 

Attempting to control her tears, she turns her head and tries to compose herself. A few droplets escape and roll down her face in that futile attempt and she immediately brings her fingers up to swipe them away.

She finishes the interview promptly and heads back to where the members were, getting ready for dinner and their present exchange time. 

After they had ordered their food, the producer suggested that they start giving their gifts.

“I vote Taeyeon first.” Sooyoung declared indifferently and the other members agreed.

The way Sooyoung gasped (internally) when Taeyeon informs everyone that she was Tiffany’s guardian angel. It was like watching a drama and the plot twist was revealed. So does this mean that Tiffany was actually Taeyeon’s secret girlfriend all along? Her jaw dropped as the dots were finally connecting. She swiftly brings up her hand to cover her gaping mouth. The tea!

 

When they arrived back in Korea, they all headed back to their dorm.

Taeyeon takes out a plastic bag from her luggage and goes to Tiffany. “Wanna head to the coffee shop? I have a gift for her.” Tiffany agreed instantly and they walked hand in hand to the coffee shop.

“Hey.” Taeyeon pushes open the door. She looks up and immediately approaches the both of them to give them a hug. “Welcome back! How was New York?” They settled in a booth by the door.

“It was fun! I got you a gift.” Taeyeon pushes the bag into her arms. 

“Oh, what’s this?” She unveils a box from the bag and scans it thoughtfully. “Oh my god! It’s Disgust from Inside Out! I love it Taeng! Thank you!” She excitedly shakes the box. 

“Hehe I knew you’d like it.” Taeyeon grins.

“Kim Taeyeon!” Sooyoung swings open the shop door.

“When were you going to tell me!” Alarmed, Taeyeon immediately stands up and looks at Sooyoung questioningly. 

“Tell you what?” 

“Can we talk out here? Excuse me while I borrow her for a second.” She smiles cordially at Tiffany and Coffee shop girl before pulling Taeyeon out of the shop.

“What is going on?” Taeyeon groans as she closes the door behind her.

“Your girlfriend, is Tiffany isn't it?” Sooyoung asks, hands on her hips.

“What? How did you find out?” Taeyeon’s eyes widened.

“You guys are so obvious!” She chides. “Does she know?” She nods her head at coffee shop girl.

“Well, yeah.” Upon hearing Taeyeon’s answer, Sooyoung drags Taeyeon back into the coffee shop.

“So, tell me everything!” She urges impatiently.

 


 

A/N: I hope yall liked this one! Thanks for reading and have a great day!