Thirteen

It's Not Fine

 

Taeyeon smiled as her hands reached out to hold Tiffany’s waist. She feels Tiffany’s warm breath against her face and her hands on the side of her neck, holding it assertively. As their kiss deepened, she slid her hand underneath Tiffany’s shirt and placed it on the small of her back, pulling Tiffany closer to her.

When they came up for air, the gush of warm and fuzziness made Taeyeon dizzy with content. 

“I’ll take a reward over punishment anyday.” Taeyeon grinned as she leaned in, brushing her lips against Tiffany’s again.

 

The girls were once again discussing where they should head to as it was their off day. Taeyeon did not want to stay in the dorm like they had previously and suggested that they should head to the coffee shop, which Tiffany excitedly agreed. 

 

The doorbell chimed as Taeyeon pushed open the door.

“Hey, we’re here!” Taeyeon announced as she was greeted by an empty shop.

“Oh hi!” She appears from the kitchen and waves at the both of them before taking a double take at their intertwined fingers.

“I see you guys have talked it out.” She smirks before approaching them and giving them a hug. 

“Yes! And we are here to thank you.” Tiffany responds animatedly and Taeyeon laughs, “Thank you for putting up with two ess,” which earned her an elbow against her ribs. 

“I think there was only one . And I’m pretty sure it wasn’t me!” Tiffany complains.

“I agree.” She winks at Tiffany.

“Ah, fine. I am the biggest .” Taeyeon sighed dramatically and the other two laughed.

 

They sat down at a table beside the counter and waited patiently for her to make their drinks.

While waiting for the espresso to drip, she looked up and saw that Taeyeon and Tiffany were deep in conversation. She smiled as she was glad that her friends are happy, finally happy together. 

She knew that happiness could not have come easily for them. 

She knew that they sacrificed basically their whole lives, their every breathing moment for the public, for hundreds and thousands of adoring fans, to give them as much as they could and make them happy. But unfortunately, they were not allowed the same. 

How does dating even affect their jobs? They can date and do their jobs and be happy all at once.

 

Why was that a problem? 

 

She could not understand why they had to sacrifice even their happiness. She sighed and carefully poured the espresso shot into a glass of ice before adding some cold water to it.

 

Upon hearing her sigh, Taeyeon and Tiffany looked up, eyes widened. “What’s up?” Taeyeon asked, frowning slightly. “Is everything okay?”

“Yeah,” she gave a small smile. “I’m just really happy that the two of you are happy.”

“Aww, when did you become such a cheeseball?” Tiffany cooed.

“I was always like this, what do you mean?” She gasped and feigned scandalised, bringing their coffees to them. 

 

“Oh right, I was just talking to Tiffany and we were wondering if you need any help because it’s kinda empty uh… always?” Taeyeon asked and gestured at the other tables. 

“Yeah, we could invite the other members here also if you’re okay with it.” Tiffany added.

“Wait for real? That would be amazing! The boss might actually be happy we’re getting more than three customers at a time.” She clapped her hands together in excitement.

“Alright, I’ll ask them now.” Taeyeon nods and takes out her phone, dropping a text in the group chat.

 

Very soon, the SNSD members arrived, some alone, some in pairs. Taeyeon had cordially introduced her to the whole group and they greeted each other before bombarding her with tons of different questions, “How long have you worked here? Do you know about girl’s generation? How long have you known Taeyeon?” with Taeyeon immediately asking them to stop, mortified.

“I’m sorry!” Taeyeon mouthed to her. She shook her head and laughed, bringing up her hand to her side and showing the ‘okay’ sign discreetly. 

 

The once quiet coffee shop was now filled with conversation, soft chuckles (maybe not sooyoung, that girl is loud), with the occasional discourse with one of them suddenly bringing up her attention. “Settle this for us,” they would say and she would answer with something that is politically correct, earning cheers from the people who agreed with her. “Told you!”

She shakes her head amusingly at the scene. If you told her when she started here that her main customers would be members of an internationally known girl group, she would’ve probably laughed in your face and told you that winning the lottery was more plausible.


 

“Tae, is she the one making you happy?” Sooyoung asked one day when they were in the dorm alone, some of the other members had schedules while the others had decided to go out.

“What?” Taeyeon took a moment to process what Sooyoung meant and hesitantly bit her lip, not knowing how to answer her.

“We’re not together, if that's what you mean.” Taeyeon unconsciously clenched her jaw at the internalised homophobia that was bubbling through her.

“Alright, but I just want you to know that we love you no matter what and I really mean it, happiness looks good on you.” Sooyoung’s words eased the tension on Taeyeon’s shoulders and Taeyeon plucked up her courage.

“Thank you,” Taeyeon reaches out to squeeze her hand. “And actually, I am with someone, a girl.” Taeyeon exhaled, feeling vulnerable at her self exposure.

“You are?” Sooyoung smiled warmly before extending her hands to hug Taeyeon. “Thank you for telling me. I am so proud of you, proud of how far you’ve come.”

“Thank you Sooyoungah. Your words mean a lot to me.” Taeyeon nuzzles against Sooyoung’s shoulder, basking in the feeling of safety that Sooyoung was exuding as she patted Taeyeon’s back.

Sooyoung knew that they all did not have it easy, but Taeyeon, she definitely did have it the hardest. No one understands why, but as the leader, she got the most from netizens and the company, clearly undeserved. Afterall, Taeyeon was a normal human who could only take so much. 

She was truly thankful that she had such an amazing and strong leader who protected them even if it was at the expense of her own. Everyone sees the quiet, smiling kid leader but no one really notices the demons that she was battling inside.

But Sooyoung sees it, and she is glad that Taeyeon seems to be winning.

 


 

A/N: omg I didn't realise that I'm a day late. I kept thinking that uploading day is today and not yesterday. oopsie. ig yall will get the next chapter tomorrow hehe.

Anyways I hope yall enjoyed this. Thanks for reading and have a great day! 

P.s: I'm not sure why the spacing for this chapter is kinda weird... pls bear with me hahaha. also 930 next chapter x.x brace yourselves.