Chapter 7

One Tiny Lie

I was woken up from my sleep when our housekeeper consistently knocked on my room to inform me about Jiyong's early visit.


Still drawn on my sleep, I dragged myself downstairs in annoyance.


He haven't contacted me to apologize nor explain his behavior and now he's here on our front door waking me up at this holy hour


When I reached our living room, I found
Jiyong standing by our front door with a box of my favorite red velvet cookies.


"Noona... I'm sorry. Please forgive me!"


When I did not say anything in return or showed any emotion, he persisted


"Noona.." he affectionately shakes my arm to get my response with a stupid pout on his face


Look how this boy is charming his apology!


Typical Jiyong. He's still the same boy from the neighborhood that I've known for years.


Jiyong never calls me noona unless he's teasing me or, at times like this, when he's done something that upset me. And it always work on the latter because he knows I cannot stand seeing his dramatic stunt. Especially today when his appearance interrupted my sound sleeping state.


I crossed my arms and rest my weight on my left foot, leaning on the front door. Doing my best to maintain the disappointed look in my face.


I took a deep breath as this would mean to recalling our little argument before. Suddenly, I'm all worked up again.


A good morning indeed.


His words still rang on my head everytime I find myself in a lost space of thinking. Though part of me knows that Jiyong don't mean any of it - to say such harsh things to me - I cannot help but ponder on the possibility of white lies among those words. After all, everyone will have something to say on you. Even friends and family. It's just harder to swallow the pill when it's coming from the people you thought would be the last person to think of you that way.


I look at him in scrutiny to find any feigned sincerity beneath this another gimmick of him.


"I don't know what you want me to say right now. I was mortified by what you told me, Jiyong. And I'm letting you know that it truly hurt me."


Jiyong fixes his posture in a serious form "Dara.."


"I won't lie to appease you and say I understand where you're coming from with what you said because I don't. Not at all. In fact, you made everything more confusing."


I continued "I know you are Seunghyun's friend but I am your friend too. So if you know something, I hope you don't take sides when it can hurt any of us especially when the other party is completely clueless as to what is going on"


"I am not taking anyone's sides" Jiyong said


"Are you really not? Because the way you said those things to me you sounded like you were in a defensive toll to justify something only you knows but restricting himself to say any thing further"


"Now you are the one accusing me" he said in a hurtful tone


"Don't I have any right to feel that about you now?"


"Look, I know I made you feel very mad and derange but I'm really sorry. It's an thing to use as an excuse but I was really just drunk that's why things got kind out of hand. It was stupid of me to say that, I know. That is why I really really apologize for my behavior"


"You shouldn't put the blame on things that are under your control, Jiyong. An intoxicated person is not deemed to be in insanity to be saying things that he's not fully aware of"


He took an undefeated sigh "I'm really sorry Dara"


"So while we're at this and you're sober," I look intently in his eyes, pleading to convey the desparation running in my veins "tell me Jiyong if Seunghyun has said anything to you. Or just let me know if he's fine."


"I... look noona, I would have said something to you about him but even I don't have the slightest idea what he's up to."


I heaved another sigh. Together with the tiny hope I have set aside for days until this confrontation.


Maybe Jiyong don't really know a thing. It will be unfair if I take out my frustrations on him when he's not the one who did me wrong. And whatever may be the reason he can't say anything on me right now, he must have thought about it all over to end up with this decision. I just hope when that time comes things are put into the right place, I can understand them the way Jiyong chose to protect me from it.


I opened the door widely, letting Jiyong in of the house.


"Thank you, Dara" he stopped to give me a hug


When he made himself comfortable to the sofa he asked, "You still love him that much even when he left you like that?"


"We just reconciled and you're planning to piss me off? Is it not enough that you came here early in the morning when I am still enjoying my sleep?"


He laid down on the couch "What early in the morning are you saying? It's already 10 am, princess"


"That is still too early for me"


"You're too old to be sleeping more than 5 hours in a day. Do some hustlin' sister"


"I'm pretty sure we're speaking the same language just a while ago."


He laughs "You're avoiding my question"


I sighed. Knowing how this conversation will go again. He won't let it down the drain until he gets an answer


"Why do you smoke when you know it can kill you?


"Huh?"


"Or why do you get so wasted when you know it's going to give you a terrible hangover in the morning?"


"Why are you asking me all of a sudden?"


"Because I find those relatively the same. You cannot possibly hate someone you love so much overnight. Even when he did you wrong. It's a process to adapt and a feeling to accept along the way"


"It's been months, Dara. In case you haven't checked"


"Even so"


"That's not love anymore, it's idiocy"


"You think?" I unwrapped the ribbon from the boxed cookies he brought. At least he has the audacity to bribe me with my favorite snack.


"How else would you call that then?"


"Perhaps. But when a person became part of you, it is not only love that binds you with them. They became a part of you. And by means of forgetting them is like ripping off that from your heart, body and soul."


"Are you seriously giving me a lesson on that? So you love him still. Does that mean you would accept him if he comes back?


"I don't know"


"Reallyyyyyy" i hate the mockery in voice because I know he's going to contest my vulnerability


"Yeah"


"Safe answer. It dwells between the blurry lines of being smart and dumb."


"Why makes you say that?"


"Smart because you're not being completely blinded by the love you still have for him to reason out why he left like that. Dumb because the fact that he stalled you and never once contacted you does not preclude you from holding on to him like what he did was ditch you in your mcdonald's fri-date night"


"Your bluntness would get you into trouble someday"


"Been there a lot of times but it's better to say it than to sugarcoat a foolish support" He picked up the magazine lying on top of the table, clearly showing the topic bored him to its core


"Enough about me. How about you Jiyong? What's your plan now?"


"Plan on what?" He asked nonchalantly while still looking through the pages


"Do you really not intend to go back to Paris?"


"Oh I wish I have an answer for that. I'm not even sure if I want to be asked about that or not"


"Why? Is something troubling you?"


"Not that I particularly know of. I don't know. I have no idea what's the matter with me these days"


"Ah, you're still tangled"


"You think?"


"No." I chuckled "You always know what you want, Jiyong"


"That's not true. No one in this world always know what he has to do"


"But you do."


"I wouldn't be stressing myself over this matter if I already know what I should be doing"


"Maybe you already have. You're just in denial that that might not be the choice you're expecting to choose"


There was a moment of silence. He kept flipping the next pages, not really looking at the content of magazine he's holding so he placed it back on the table


He reach out for the coffee mug in front of him and take a sip "Maybe"


Then he continued "Do you remember what you once told me about pursuing the thing we're passionate about? That we should think twice in making them as your career? I understand it better now and I wish I didn't learnt it from the hard way"


How could I forget?


 

It is one among many other things from Chaerin that really made me admire her even more. Wise words coming from someone younger than me. And as someone who's path has been drawn long before i could even say a word, it stuck through me until today

"You said that our passion changes over time. One day you're so invested into something and before you even know it, it has already shifted into a new one. It's an endless cycle. A matter of satisfying a short-term enthusiasm. Which is why as much as possible we should separate our careers from that because what happens then when that time comes we go after it and we lost the fire fueling us in the process? What will keep us going then? Just because you don't feel like doing it anymore or your passion shifts so often doesn't mean your career would do the same."


"Some people are blessed to have found contentment in making their passion as their career. Others don't. But that doesnt mean you were less sincere about it than them." I reminded him "Or think about the people who never really figured what they really want in life and thus the only reason that they're sticking to what they're doing is out of necessity. Some of them are pretty successful and have decent paying job"


Somehow I felt the gravity in his shoulders. I know he's keeping this for himself because that's how he is. Bottling his personal issues inside to not be a burden to anyone.


"Don't beat yourself for something that you didn't want to happen to in the first place. That happens and there are just things in life that no matter how much we tried to work on to, it won't."


"Thanks, noona"


"Im sure you know it yourself, Jiyong. What's really admirable about you is you know your greatest points and you continuously try to improve your lows. The only thing that falls short in you is you're susceptibe to easily get swayed by criticisms. All you needed to have is a support system that will remind you of the very reason why you made that choice. Where you are today is where you are supposed to be, Jiyong. And whether you finally choose that that path isn't the best one for you, we will still be here for you."


"You made me feel more guilty by how I acted the other day by saying such things"


"Did I?" I smirked


"C'mon we all know you're not that much of a preacher" he throws a pillow at me


"But you were moved by what I said, aren't you?"


"Not really. It was full of nonsense. You need to stop reading books and learn to communicate in a more humane way possible"


"You're so used to hearing swear and insulting words you take it as something uncommon when it should not be" I frowned "You should spend less time with your drink-to-go friends"


"Now you sound like my mom" he laughed


I took the hint. He's not getting another lecture from me. So I changed the subject "I didn't think you'd come and apologize sooner though. Where did you take the stubborn Jiyong that I know?"


He rolled his eyes "Tell me about it. Youngbae kept on bugging me to explain what I did. He beats the clingiest girl I ever dated that I could think of. He said he won't stop until I man up and apologize for what I did"


"So you never really had plans on apologizing then?"


"Maybe"


I get up and snatch the pillow he's hugging from his stomach to hit it on his face "I shouldn't have wasted my intellect on you awhile ago"


"Yah! Yah!" Jiyong protested as he cover himself from the scorching whack "What intellect? It was pure bull"


"Did you really came to apologize or here to pest me more?"


"Ooop. I think I've been caught"


The door creaked from behind


"Oh, unnie?" I turn around to see Chaerin with her tennis bag hanging on her shoulder "Who are you harrassing in this broad day light?"


I slapped the pillow I am holding to Jiyongs face to bury him on the couch


"Jiyong oppa?" She bobs her head to forward a little looking past by me


Jiyong snatched the pillow I was holding when I got occupied my Chaerin's presence and smack the back of my head at the speed of light "Ouch!!"


Breathing heavily from our childish gimmick, he greeted "Hi Chaerin, nice timing. You saved your sister from becoming a murderer"


"Me? A murderer?" I pointed myself


He rolled his eyes "Who else would it be, sister?"


"The judge herself would be the one to beg to disagree on your claim" I sat on the sofa, panting from the ridiculous pillow fight


"Jiyong oppa! You're back for a vacation?"


"Something like that. What's up, Chaerinie? You still play tennis?"


"Yeah. It's one of my way to distress. You came back so soon though? I thought you're already settling there for good?"


"There are some things that needed to be taken care of. I guess I'll be here for awhile."


"Oh yeah? Whatever it is." Chaerin fixes her bag "I'll head upstairs first"


"You're getting prettier than the last time I saw you, Chaerinnie" Jiyong calls


"Are you hitting on my sister in front of me?" I exclaimed


"What?" He's laughing at me again "Bom's not gonna come around today?"


"I don't think so. Why?"


"I thought you guys are package deal. Always around where the other is"


I raised an eyebrow at him. Totally not getting him sometimes.


I look at the clock "She probably just got up. Should I call her to come over?"


"Yeah because you're boring to talk to" he stole a piece of cookie from the peace offering he got for me


"Get out of the house!"








Bom arrived with Youngbae a little after lunch. Jiyong made me call them to come over so this day spontaneously became our catch up time part two.


"Yo Kwon Jiyong" Youngbae greeted


"Hey nice to see you man"


"We wouldn't be complete if i hadn't come"


"Even if you came we're still not complete. That Seunghyun is not here"


"Hey he's not really part of the group. Originally. And no longer is" Bom interjected "But you got the last one right. Yes, he's an "


"Aww that's pretty hard, Bommie" Jiyong said "And hello to you too"


"Don't hello me Kwon. You got some mad explanation to do. You're just like your friend, both have a knack at making Dara feel terrible"


"Friend?" Jiyong shakes his head confusingly "Are you referring to him?"


He pointed Youngbae


"I've got better things to do than make women cry, Jiyong. That couldn't possibly be me"


"And what were those things that keep you occupied?" He teased again and they both laughed at their own


Bom rolled her eyes before excusing herself to keep the cake she brought in the refrigerator


"You don't have practice today, Youngbae?" I asked


"Earlier. We do it in the morning during sundays"


It made Jiyong turned in surprise "Even on a weekend? Dang, how could you keep up with thay kind of commitment all week long"


"I would like to know myself too. I guess it became a habit out of necessity"


"A pain in the kind of habit of all the choices you can choose from"


Youngbae let out a half smile "You gotta do whatever is there to keep you going"


When Bom came back from the kitchen with a glass of juice on her hand, she started "Hey you guys are coming to my event right"


"What event?" Jiyong asked


"Oh yeah I think I wasn't able to tell you because you were being a jerk to Dara so out of bitterness I intentionally did not send you an invite."


Bom sat on the couch beside me


"I didn't think you'd be this petty, Bom" he act offended


"You know I think you can have a career in the drama department. Why don't you give it a try until you figure out your life"


"Oooh miss Park is on fire and she's not letting anyone slip, everybody!" Jiyong shouted. He knows how to take the jab at Bom's word. It's his turn to make fun of her now.


"Did I burnt you? I hope I greatly did"


"Easy, peachy. It's too early to let out the fangs. Tone it down, sister"


"Whatever" she dismissed it immediately "It's a fashion show I organized at the university"


"Damn, noona you're getting all the spotlight"


"She's not the one doing all the works though. All she does is to boss around and criticize" Youngbae joked


"And that's coming from the athlete who always skips his everyday training"


"When did I?"


"At every chance you get"


"Which is never"


"Didn't you just made me come up with an alibi the other week to help you get away from your training that day?"


"Maybe in your dreams, yes."


"Uhuh" and their bicker continues


"These two still fights like a child?" Jiyong faces me, shaking his head "At this rate they will end up being together"


Then a pillow was suddenly thrown at Jiyong "Yah, I heard you Kwon! The probability of that happening is the same as having the entire solar system colliding as one"


"Bom doesn't even come close to my type."


"You poor little thing" Bom approached Youngbae to pat his head before giving him a forceful smack "You should reconsider upgrading your standards then"


"So that his ideals would meet yours?" Jiyong fired back for Yougbae


"I'll kick you back to France!"


"You can try. I'll be your willing participant"


"Ugh! Whatever. Jiyong, you will drop by this Thursday okay. I will tell everyone that you're coming"


"Hey hey I didn't agreed coming yet"


"You're thinking of not coming? How supportive of you!"


"Hm depends if I'm in the mood to come out of the house"


"You must come!"


"Why? Youngbae and Dara will be there. That's an enough moral support."


"That's not the point. More people will go to the show if you attend because they would like to see you too"


"Oooooh our Jiyongie is being used as a bait" Youngbae teased


"I'm not the one holding such event though. It will be rude to have everyone's attention on me and not on the show itself"


"Sorry to pop that growing bubbles but don't worry not all the attention would be bound to you. Also, the main organizer of the show is the one personally inviting you to go to the show"


I felt like Bom is pressing the matter too far making Jiyong uncomfortable especially now in his situation so I decided to in with the conversation "Give it time Bom. Make Jiyong have a choice"


"I am just anxious that there wouldn't be many people to see the show that's why"


"But what do I have to do with it?" Jiyong asked


Bom rolled her eyes "You're Kwon Jiyong"


"And so?"


"C'mon are you here to fish compliments?


"I may have get what you're saying but not exactly. So what are you really trying to say?"


"Well, to make it clear and cut to you and maybe to boost a little of your ego, I'm just saying that as a well acknowledged fashion prodigy you should go to the event I organized at the university because your presence, your highness, would mean attracting interested individuals relatively contributing for the success of this project" Bom explained


"You'll do well even without me attending, Bom" he sighed "You've been doing this for so long amd it's always packed. What makes you think this wouldn't be a hit like any others?


"I'm sorry I must be really anxious now that it's only a few days away!"


Youngbae said "The mighty Bominator knows how to feel that?"


"You're not really helping, you know" Bom started pacing back and forth in the living room


Starting to get dizzy watching her from my peripheral view I complained "Ugh, Bommie stop doing that"


Then she stood with a firm poise "You know what, you're right. I'm underestimating myself."


"That's the spirit"


"Then, f#k Kwon"


"Ew noona, don't even think about getting it. You're not my type"


"You can keep that to yourself. I wouldn't even dream of it"


"Ey, is Chaerin home? Haven't seen her" Youngbae asked me


"Yup. Maybe she's taking a nap. She went to the court today. Must be exhausted"


"That kid knows no exhaustion" Youngbae started calling for her from the living room "Chaerin come on down!!!!!! Let's play Just Dance!!"





After snatching the fun from Chaerin and Youngbae, Bom tossed the remote control to the couch "You guys play the xbox. It's too tiring. I felt like I burnt a month worth of fats"


"You only played 2 songs!" Jiyong exclaimed


"2 songs that requires you to dance" she defended as a matter of fact


Youngbae seized the opportunity to pick on her "The ahjumma in you shows. That is why you should exercise everyday, Bom."


"I do exercise!"


"Exercising your way to the kitchen?


"Are you guys starting an argument again?" Dumbfounded to witness the escalating atmosphere, Jiyong in


"Whatever" Bom rolled her eyes in annoyance at Youngbae


"Chaerin-ah you seem to be not your usual self today. Are you okay?" Youngbae asked


"Huh?"


"You're acting kind of weird"


"Am I? How do you say so?" She lets out a nervous laugh


Jiyong move closer to put the back of his hand on my sister's forehead "Hm she seems good"


Chaerin suddenly got up "I'm fine! I should go upstairs. I'm trying to finish this series I'm currently reading" then she ran towards the stairs


"You sister must have planned another out if town trip. She seems to be hiding something" Youngbae joked


"Ah! Speaking of, guys what do you think about going for a trip this coming weekend?" Bom asks while scrolling on her phone


Now she wants to go on a trip?


"All of a sudden? Where?" Jiyong asked


"Gangwondo!" She answered in a whim


"Eh? What enticed you to go there?"


"It's trending now because of 2 days 1 night. Aparently it is more ideal to go there when it is not winter to see the vast scenery of the mountain peaks!" She sounded like a kid who has been promised a bag full of gummies. The place must be wonderful to get Bom as estatic as she is now


Jiyong and Youngbae took a glance at each other before bursting into laughter "I didn't know you have become an environmentalist"


"Dimwits! Wanting to visit countryside does not make you an environmentalist. And you know I would still choose the city. Why don't you look it up on the internet about the place im talking about and see it yourself? It's really nice! Star gazing is a popular night time activity there but I'd rather have us a drink than to be in a staring game with the stars for hours. Boo-ring!"


"We're drinking? With Dara? Really? You might want to reconsider all your plans again" Jiyong hits


They broke to another laughter. Surely not letting me pass through with my infamous wasted interval


GOSH


"It was that funny to you, eh?"


They are still holding their stomachs from laughing loudly


"Fine. I'm not going with you guys then"


"Aw our dongsaeng is pissed at us" Youngbae said


"It's okay. She can have a serious talk with my cousin about their legal alien language we can never understand"


"Who?" Jiyong asked


"My cousin, Donghae" Bom said as a matter of fact


"Oh you haven't met him right?" Youngbae said


"No. Never heard about him too?"


"Well now you know. He's very much like Dara with all the seriousness but at least he knows when to crack it. You'll get along with him too"


"Like Seunghyun?


"Yah don't compare my cousin to that son of a - well anyway don't kill the mood, Kwon. Why do you keep on mentioning him anyway"


"Is he like part of the group now too or what"


"Well we're cool and Bom manage to tag him at some of our hang outs despite his crazy schedules like how her mind works so maybe he is" Youngbae explained


"Is he as odd as Bom?"


"Strangely, not. There can be no one in this world that is as peculiar as her"


"You guys talk about me as if I am not sitting here with you. Anyway, no. Donghae is nowhere near to have the same kind of personality as I am. He's always formal though. But manageable"


"Is he a distant relative of yours? I don't think I've met him ever since"


"That's because he grew up in France and rarely visits Korea before but he's always been my closest cousin"


"Ah, then why did he move to Korea?" Jiyong further dwells on the topic


"I don't think I have the right to share his personal issues without his consent but let's just say my mom is partly the reason why he's here because mom practically dragged him along with her when she visited France"


"And now he's in Korea you're the one draggin him anywhere and at anytime you want" Youngbae tried to hit that conscience in her


"He could say no! Besides, it's not healthy for him to sit on his office all day and stressing himself over other people's problems. I'm doing him a favor to free his occupied mind. That helps when you're already loaded, right Dara?"


"I'm not sure but in my case I hate it when anyone tries to interrupt my concentration when I'm in the middle of working" I answered


The two men laughed at my mindless response


"You didn't seem to mind it that much when Seunghyun were here bugging you every chance he gets to say the cheesiest things for you" she counter attacked


"Someone's agitated!!!!" Jiyong shouted


I shrugged it off. Taking no offense at her little sass because that's Bom being Bom.


I guess today's going to be a long day with these 3 in our house.


"So are we set for some camping?" Bom excitedly giggles on her seat


I look at Jiyong and Youngbae both still not giving an answer "I guess I'm good. Just no alcohol for me this time" i said


"Don't worry noona even if you try to stangle any of us you wouldn't be able to touch any glasses. That's us saving ourselves from possible embarrassment" Jiyong told me


"Stop making fun of me! Hey, who told you about that anyway? You weren't there to see it by yourself"


"I won't tell you who among these two" he pointed Bom and Youngbae


"True friends indeed"


"Ahuh! We wouldn't be laughing as hard as we do now if you didn't make a fool of yourself hahahah"


"Hey Kwon! Stop picking on Dara. So what. Are you guys in for the trip? Youngbae?"


"I'm fine with it, madam. Just inform me beforehand when so I can ask for a day off from the team practice at school"


"Okay hold on. I'll check my schedule too and see when's the best time to camp!!!"


While Bom's busy on her phone I went upstairs to check on Chaerin. She's usually hanging out with us when Bom and Youngbae is around.


I knocked on her door few times before she opens it


"Hey, Dara. What's the matter?" She said


"Checking on you. Is there something wrong, Chaerin?"


"Oh no no. You know we have our lazy days and that's how my day is today. No need to worry!"


"Are you really sure?"


"Yeah. Besides, Bom unnie and Youngbae oppa is there it's not going to be peaceful and I'm not up for something like that today. I just wanted to rest hahaha"


"Okay. If you say so. Hey, Bom is planning to go for camping. Do you want to come with us?"


Her jaw drops "Camping tonight?"


"Silly. No. I'm not sure when Bom is still checking the dates. She wanted to go to Gangwondo"


"I'd never take Bom to be wanting to visit such place hahaha"


"We will never get to understand her at all"


"Just tell me when and I'll see if there will be no cobflicts with my classes"


"Of course" I smiled at her "Rest now. I'll head downstairs and see what's going on"


When I came back to the living room the three of them is in the middle of discussion


"Dara! Come here and tell your friend that she never fail to make a ridiculous idea" Youngbae said while shaking his head



I asked what I missed while I was gone for a while, Bom must have said something crazy again because Jiyong and Youngbae are both shaking their heads in disbelief


"You're the one who planned this trip and you will be late? What will the three of us do there? Hangout by the woods, roasting our marshmallows on stick while waiting for your always late self to arrive? Why don't we just go at the same time" Jiyong said to Bom, dumbfounded


"That's very thoughtful of you to wait for us but somebody has to make sure that the plan is going well there ahead"


"What is happening?" I asked in confusion


"Did you just indirectly said that the work and preparation will be on the three of us?"


"Not entirely! It's not like you're not going to put up the tent by yourselves. There are already tents there to be rented."


"You said it yourself, the tents were already fixed there for us"


"Yup"


"Then we get there together." Jiyong declared "That's also favorable on Youngbae's part while waiting since he could have that time cover the day he won't be on practice"


"Okay okay! I guess that's settled? No one's backing out or you guys are going to catch this fist" then Bom started making all the reservations for this trip


"More like you're going to get THIS fist if you say something more out of the blue" You can really hear the exhaustion from Jiyong's voice from arguing with Bom. It's funny to see him getting all worked up because of Bom's antics


"I honestly had no idea what were you arguing about but okay"


"You aways have no idea, Dara" Jiyong said in a playful tone


"Should I take that as snother cryptic message from you?"


His smile assured me "No, I was kidding. You know me"




When mom arrives home from work, the entire house was in chaos. Bom and Chaerin were pushing each other in front of the xbox while dancing uncontrollably to Footloose in full volume; Jiyong, Youngbae and I were neck to neck playing the now slightly slanted jengga, screaming at each other. It was as if we were kids given that short while freedom to have the house for us while our parents were out for some grocery shopping. It is a disaster.


Youngbae was the first one to have noticed mom standing by the door, bewildered.


He got up and ran to her to give her a hug "Auntie!"


"Youngbae-ah" she said dearly before pinching his cheek and noticing Jiyong who is also now on her way to hug her


"Our Jiyongie, I didn't know you came back from Paris"


"It's been weeks, Aunt"


"And you're only visiting me now?"


"I've been trying not to cross path with Dara the past few days. I needed that to save my life"


"Oh, is it Dara we should be worried about now? I thought it should be Bom we all have to keep our guards on?" Mom joked


Bom's voice echoed few feet away "Heol. Auntie!! All this time I thought we're on the same team"


"And if it's not our Bommie who always make the house twice.... livelier"


"Auntie!!!!" Bom stomps on her feet


It's heartwarming to see how my mom prolly still sees us as the kids who used to climb up the fences and tripping our clumsy little selves in our backyard.



"Have you guys had dinner already?"


"Not yet, mom. I guess we lost track of time" Chaerin said


"How about I cook you pasta? Jiyong likes that"


"Is it still the same pasta Bom knocked Youngbae over before because he stole a spoonful from her"


Bom hit Jiyong on his arm "Why do you have to bring that up everytime Aunt cooks for us"


"It's funny that you couldn't get enough and you made a boy knock off from his seat"


"Man, I thought I flew a few yards from that." Youngbae added a spice to the flame burning


"You almost peed in your pants in fright" Jiyong said, holding his laughter in between


"You have no idea"


"Okay stop talking about me in front of me"


"Have you always been that strong?"


"Get over it Kwon or you will have a taste of it firsthand"


"I guess that means I have to cook as fast as I could before we get a raging Bommie setting my house on fire. I haven't renewed our house insurance yet so that will be quite a loss" mom chuckles as she hands me her bag "I'll head over the kitchen and cook you dinner, okay."


Our dinner tonight takes us back in the old days when we were out in the backyard having meal with dad and mom babysitting Chaerin while the 4 of us munch on the food after hours of playing. It's nostalgic to see that even how many years have passed, these people were still the same.


It is truly a blessing to find a circle of friends who will stick with you through the years and the bond that keeps your relationship with them firm and strong amidst of the misunderstandings in your friendship is something to be proud of.


"Aunt, do you think you will have time to watch the fashion show I organized at school next week?"


"Oh Bommie my dear! That sounds wonderful. You seem to be enjoying your university life so much I'm glad to see that"


"It's stressful but it all pays off in the end when you see people admiring your work. It's like I'm extending them part of me that they never knew"


I smiled at Bom's words.


Her passion and dedication in her works are unsurpassable. Although she and Jiyong belong in the same industry, their leagues is on a different level. They may be both engaged in styling and designing but it is impossible to compare them ultimately and decide who's the better one. And I'm not saying this because I am a friend but that is the truth.


Bom's forte is more on the haute couture while Jiyong's work is a product of quirky styles you never thought would go well together when worn.


My mom gave her the warmest smile "I can't believe I am hearing those words from you"


 

"I can be serious too, Aunt!"


"Okay okay. I was trying to lighten back the mood! Hahaha"


"Mom, we're camping next week in Gangwondo. I'm letting you know in advance. It was Bommie's idea" I took the chance to sought for her permission


She seems surprised "Oh, really? That's good to hear! Especially from you, Dara. It's been a while since you went out of town for a trip"


"You're overreacting, mom. It's not like I have all the time in the world to go anywhere anytime I want before. Only now because graduation is just around the corner."


"Whatever you say my dear" then she moved her attention to Bom, Jiyong and Youngbae "Only the four of you will be on camp?"


"Bom said he's going to ask her cousin if he wanted to join. But I heard from Dara and Youngbae that Bom always leave him with no choice"


"Ah, really?"


"That's also according to his will! If he don't like me bossing him around he could just ditch me" Bom became defensive


"He should come with you. When I invited him for breakfast last time he said he haven't had the chance to go around Seoul yet" Mom told them


"Really?? Not even in the outskirts of Seoul?" Youngbae came in so shocked his eyes got a little bigger


"Yes. That is why I also told him to ask Dara to tour him around"


This time my mom and Chaerin laughed silently in their own language. I bet they weren't done teasing me to him yet. But I'm relieved Bom didn't catch the message behind those giggles. Otherwise it will be embarrasing and weird at the same time.


"Speaking of! He said that breakfast was really tasty. The best home cooked breakfast he had since he came to Korea. That rat! Is he saying the breakfasts served at home tastes bland?! " Bom


"Oh, he's such a smooth talker!" I heard Chaerin mumble in her seat


"Is that so? Then if he wants and his schedule permits he can come anytime to have his breakfast here anytime. And that also applies to the three of you, okay?"


"You don't have to remind Youngbae of that. I lost count how many times I arrived home and I see him lazily sitting on our couch and eating chips" I told them


"Hey! That's because I only lived on the other side of the street. And there's always no food at home. I can't die in starvation"


Chaerin talked before I could say something "But aren't you allowed to eat those? I thought athletes are on strict diets"


"We are but we should also eat. We're humans before athletes, Chaerinie"


"Stop calling me Chaerinie it gives me goosebumps!" She cringed as she brushes her arms


"Why is that Chaerinie.." Youngbae barks in a loud laugh echoing in the room


"So Bom, tell me more about your cousin. He seems to be like an..... honorable gentleman" though the words are meant for Bom I felt like she added more emphasis on the last sentence for me to hear clearly


Oh mom......





 

 

I reckon it would be more efficient and convenient if you share the work with a partner. Since this will require two opposing opinions, you can cumulate more if you have somebody that has a different view from you. But if you can support both sides with a strong argument then it is also fine. I wouldn't hold it to your, ah, independency"


When the professor took her seat to give her time to discuss activity, I look around to see if there are anyone in the room who wouldn't be bothered to be asked to be my partner. Unfortunately, most of them have either started working on their own or have already partnered with somebody.


I contemplated for a while to ask the girl sitting two seats away from my left, before she opened one of her codal and began typing on her laptop.


Then that left me with no other choice but to start brain storming for a safe topic to discuss.


I got this.


What else is there in the legal sphere that is morally wrong but just and fair for the welfare of the entire citizenry?


While there are lots of laws that are based on justice it is undeniably true that there are also some that goes against our social norms for the ultimate end of our judicial system is to serve not only under the harshness of law but also to equalize the deliberate use of power by the privileged.


This topic is amongst the sensitive subjects to be discussed as it has complications not only in our own personal stands but it crosses bounderies of religious beliefs-to which I see will only start an endless discussions.


I started tapping the end of my pen on the book in front me. I will become biased once I tackle issues I already have taken sides.


Should I lowkey get into conversation with my mom and make her points the other side of the argument? That'd be cheating. And my mom and me, often than not, have the same opinion in political and social issues. So it probably won't be much of a help.


My other choice is Chaerin. But her level of rationality cannot be taken as mine. If my logic goes deep as the ocean bed of the pacific, hers would be up to the earth's crust. I will end up screwing myself more


I looked up online for the current news in hopes I could get an idea of a better topic. Usury law? That's long been abolished. Abortion? I'm afraid I won't have a script for the other side. Divorce? Oh hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.


A guy swiftly sat by the end of the row one seat apart from me. Obviously missed more than half of the class! I commend him for the courage he have for himself to risk a possible class embarrassment.


I cannot help but looked at him with much respect.


He caught me looking at him and waves his hand on me "Hi!" then pull his chair closer to my seat


"What's going on?" He still have a friendly smile on his face


I explain to him the instructions given to us earlier.


He scratches his chin "Okay so have you found a partnee or decides to work alone?"


"Well... I cannot find a partner" I admitted


"How about that! I guess my tardiness has done me a good service today. Let's team up"


"Uh, sure. Okay"


He took a peek at my laptop's monitor that still have zero words written on it.


"What do you think about death penalty?" He asked


"It's an ancient topic but I think that would be good since it's been brought up again lately to the house of representatives"


"If you think that's already fine then let's do that" he grabbed his bag to take out his laptop, notebook and a pen.


He started writing on his note and says "Okay. So I'll be on the defense"


"No, no. I'm afraid that won't work. I've been strongly against it. How could I defend something that goes against my belief"


"It is staged. It is not exactly like you are supporting it. This is all for the show" he tried to convince me


"How about you do it and I'll be on defense since this is only for the number on paper"


"Nice try but you see, I'm a full pledged Christian. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. It'll be surprising if I sided on the opposite end of my faith"


"You missed the number one rule in judgment, mister. We're supposed to be gender and religion neutral. One's religious faith is detrimental on issues like this. Thus, should be set aside" I pointed it to him


"Just like you said, we should be neutral. Why don't you practice neutrality now and be on the offensive side?" He smiled again. I don't know if he's trying to lessen the harshness of his words or he's mocking me now. Either way, I cannot give up being on the defense!


"You favorinv death penalty will surely catch their attention more. How you can justify something all you've known in your life was a straighg out blunder. You'll get us the A+"


Siwon seemed petrified how long I could keep up with arguing him about the designation of our roles.


Before we could even continue the tossing of which side is which, the bell rang.


He stood up "Let's talk this over next class"


"Sure. And thanks for teaming up with me in this," I waited for him to say his name because only now I realized I didn't asked for his name


"Siwon" he extended his hand for a shake "And you're welcome, Dara"


 



He knows me?