Chapter 4

One Tiny Lie

“So are you saying that an expert medical testimony is not necessary when a malpractice suits to prove that a physician has done a negligent act or has deviated from the standard medical procedure?”

 

I pray to God not to let my professor notice my stuttering voice, wobbling kneecaps and blanched face complexion for every question she asks me. It sends shivers down to my spine. I’m running on with only an hour of sleep and I just want to get this done and crawl back in my bed

 

I tried in the most subtle way to answer the question “The necessity of testimony from an expert applies only to matters within the domain of medical science and not to matters within the common knowledge of mankind which may be testified by anyone familiar with facts. Whether a patient has been treated or operated within a reasonable degree of skill and care lies on the competence of physicians and surgeons with skill and experience to testify. However, when the testimony points external appearances and conditions which are observable by anyone it may be given by non-expert witnesses”

 

“Does the doctrine automatically apply to all cases of medical negligence?”

 

“It is not” I answered briefly

 

“Is the accused guilty of negligent act that caused the death of the patient?”

 

“The defendant was criminally charged for failing to monitor and regulate proper levels of anesthesia but it was not proved that he, beyond reasonable doubt, had been recklessly imprudent in administering the anesthetic agent to the patient. As for the defendant’s civil liability, the court cannot declare the defendant civilly liable because there was no firm and competent evidences showing that the manner of administration of the anesthesia conducted by the defendant was the ultimate cause that led to the death of the patient.”

 

She did not say anything after I answered her last question which makes the tension of even more intense as I hear nothing but the strong rhythm of my heartbeat desperately needing for a critical time out. Instead, she continuously looks at the screen of her macbook gathering her thoughts.

 

Of the hundred cases she assigned to me last meeting, I’m fortunate enough that the questions she asked me today came from the cases I studied thoroughly last night. Most of which were the ones I entrusted Bom and Youngbae to help me so I really had to indulge myself to their works than those I personally read by me. I take a mental note that I have to thank them for saving me once again!

 

“I’m feeling merciful today and you look like you’re gonna pass out if I ask you one more question. You’re done for today, Ms. Park. I hope you learned not only from the cases but a lesson to read your assigned materials to you obediently.” She crossed her arms

 

I nodded

 

“Unless you want another 100 cases to digest again, I would be very much willing to give you that”

 

I took my seat and held tightly on the edge of my table.

 

The day barely started but I’m already running out of energy to go through the rest of the day. Luckily I had a good night sleep even when I only had an hour to doze off before coming to class. As soon as I hit the sheets of my bed last night I fell asleep right away. It’s odd though considering the short amount of time it somehow replenished the buoyancy of my body.

 

The class went on but I pay so little attention to it anymore. My head can no longer process any more information other than what I already learned in the cases assigned to me. I’m prolly just gonna ask someone in my class if I could borrow their notes. That if I mannered up some courage to do that since everyone seem to work on their own.

 

As soon as the class got dismissed, I phoned Bom and Youngbae to treat them for lunch. It’s the least that I could for returning the favor I asked other day. I wouldn’t get through this day if I did all the work by myself because I will cram ready everything in order to finish it all. So I really owe my retention in this university to them. However, they are both occupied by their own business so they can’t make it for lunch which because I was already looking forward to have a little talk with them.  I guess that leaves me with no choice but to go home and celebrate this day with a tub of mocha ice cream.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The persistent knocking on my door stirs me from my sleep that afternoon.

 

“Dara, honey? Are you awake? Can I come in?” My mom knocked again “I’m going to come in”

 

I pick the pillow on my thigh and brought it to bury my face with it; not ready to have a conversation when I just woke up. I felt my mom sat on the edge of my bed and she lightly shakes to wake me

 

“Dara, Chaerin called me to bring her an extra shirt while she’s at practice. Would you like to come with me and see your sister on her match? It’s been a while since we’ve gone to watch her and I thought it would be nice if you could take a break from review for a moment.”

 

I took the pillow covering my face and see my mom smiling at me.

 

“I’m sorry for disrupting your nap, Dara. I’m just hoping we could go together”

 

“Are you in a hurry?” I asked with a hoarse voice

 

“No. Chaerin’s game do not start until 2 pm”

 

“I’ll just change and get ready, mom. I’ll come downstairs when I’m done”

 

She bobbed her head “Sure. I’ll wait for you. I’m going to tell Chaerin you’re coming with me. She’ll be delighted that you can watch her today”

 

My mom taps me gently before making her way through the door. Instead of getting up, I covered myself with blanket and bought myself another 5 minutes of sleep because no one immediately gets up in the bed after they woke up. Well, unless you’re running late in your class.

 

The massive stadium is barely packed by people watching the game in this

As soon as we entered the scorching, massive stadium that is barely packed by people watching the players, I spotted Chaerin in her white pleated one suit tennis dress

 

“Dara!! Unnie!!!!!” Chaerin  locked me in a tight embrace as soon as her game ended

 

Chaerin has always been athletic since we were kids. Her past times before include going to various trainings so you could say that she spent most of her time outside the house and be around with a lot of people. Although she’s been very much interested in various sports she never took the life path of an athlete. She told us before that one’s passion tends to change as we grow old; one day you’ll be passionate about one thing and unknowingly the next day your interest will shift into something completely different. That if she made her passion as her means of living, it will be difficult for her to understand herself when that passion suddenly changes. If she devoted so much time doing this and in the process she finds out it wasn’t really for her then what is she going to do with all those times she invested herself in that. For her, passion is a way of escaping the demands of her lifestyle.

 

“Unnie, I’m glad you came! What made you go out with mom? Aren’t you busy?”

 

Guilt rush inside my body. I know I’ve been too self-centered since the wedding fiasco that I started to neglect the people around me. I tried to isolate myself and avoid having small talks with people I know except those whom I am closest with. I make up excuses not to linger for too long whenever some of my family members pay visit to us. I use school works to cover the lies I tell them. Despite all the efforts I made I know my family get the gist of why I’m acting like that but they never let me feel that. That is why I feel bad that they had a share in my shallow way of handling this mess.

 

“I had nothing else to do at home” I gave her a warm smile

 

“I brought you your clothes, Chaerin. Now go and change so we can get some late lunch” Mom handed the small bag to Chaerin

 

“Dara, you’re still going with us right?”

 

Mom jokingly slap Chaerin’s arm and said “Look at this little brat! I told you to use honorific to your unnie why do you still call her Dara?”

 

That made me laugh “I told you many times be wary of what you call me when we’re with mom”

 

“I’ll make sure to keep that in my mind”

 

“You’re not going to forget that, I’m sure, now that you’ve been hit” I told her

 

“Change your clothes now! You’re starting to stink because of your sweat” Mom said to Chaerin but been teased by the latter by threatening to hug her with that dripping sweat

 

We went to a Japanese restaurant to have late lunch, or is it already early dinner because I think it falls too late to be considered lunch and it’s quite close to dinner time already.

 

“Unnie, I’m really glad you came today. I think I’ve been immediately recharged by seeing you” Chaering clings to my side

 

“How was your game?” I asked

 

“It was fun. I feel like the surge of my eagerness to play today and be able to do so wash all the stress away. You should do sports! I swear. You usually go to school without sleep and you eat not on time. That’s why your body is weak. Try doing sports! It will help and keep you fit. You need that so you don’t get sick that often”

 

“You said it yourself that I’m weak. Therefore, it won’t be ideal for me to even try it. I believe that will only dislocate my rusted bones. And I can’t stand the feeling of having so much sweat on my body. It’s sticky and gross!”

 

“Of course you won’t go hard on your first game. You’ll take it slow. It will help you boost your body strength! You look so fragile that I think if I hit you hard I have to glue you back from pieces”

 

“I don’t have that much time to play though. I can’t even juggle having a personal time for myself, eat on time and get a decent sleep. What makes you think I would rather go on games than lay down in my bed?”

 

“Don’t push it, Chaerin. You’ve tried that countless of times” I heard my mom laugh quietly

 

“Anywho, how is it going?” Chaerin bobbed her eyebrows up as she takes a sip from her drink

 

Not understanding, I asked “What’s going what?”

 

“You know that thing that’s going on between you and Donghae. It’s the la-“ I cut her off by grabbing her hand beneath the table, squeezing it in a tight grip until she gets that it’s among those forbidden topics in front of mom

 

Mom must have sensed that I tried to mum Chaerin “What is that, huh? And who is Donghae?”

 

UGH CHAERIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

She shot me with a scrutinizing eyes and wicked smile before turning back on the shabu shabu. I pinched Chaerin’s thigh in annoyance for dragging me to lie to mom.

 

“He is Bommie’s cousin. He’s a lawyer. We met him the other week when Chaerin and I were at the coffee shop with Bom and Youngbae. He came over to hand Bom’s book so yeah” I tried to shrug my shoulder hoping mom would let this slip

 

“Ahhh I see. How come I haven’t heard nor seen him before with Bom?”

 

“He came back from France, mom”

“For someone whom you met for the first time you sure know a lot about him already” Mom said in a teasing voice.

 

“Mom!!!!”

 

Oh good Lord I knew this is where it will all come down and this will go on for weeks! I have to remind myself to butcher Chaerin in her sleep later.

 

“I was just teasing you, honey! So what’s his business with you?” Knowing she won’t get anything from me, she smiled at Chaerin in hopes to spill the beans but Chaerin gestures to zip lock.

 

 “He said I can ask him anytime if there’s anything th-“ I started explaining but she interjected

 

“Ask him out?” Both her and Chaerin crack in laughter

 

“Yah!!!”

 

“We should really do something with your temper” they’re still laughing “I only said that in jest”

 

“Unnie, you’re making it so obvious. Tone it down” they gave each other a high-five clearly enjoying pissing me off

 

“Okay he’s helping you with what?” Mom surely knows how to get it off from you

 

“With school works what else? He said I can ask him if I’m struggling with digests and he’s willing to- OH SNAP!“ I was frozen in my seat when that thought crosses my mind

 

I forgot he really did help me in my digest! And most of the cases picked today when I was in the hot seat were the ones he wrote himself. I should be thanking him because if not for him I don’t know where I will be today. Probably crying underneath my blanket back home and with my family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The anticipation for the unending work with phone on their ears, the weight of their drudgery in the briefcase they are holding and the urgency of their footsteps as people in their indistinguishable suits come and go through the doors of this six-story building. There’s no space for rest as evident in their mundane, pragmatic expressions. The building itself evince a strict and structured practice for their responsibility at work that you can easily feel its stifle ambience. The chandelier hanging at the high ceiling of this modern glass-built premise and the oozing presence of the people passing by will intimidate you to core.

 

“Good afternoon, I am here for Atty. Lee Donghae. Is he here?” I asked the lady at the concierge

 

“Good afternoon, I will check on it. Do you have an appointment with Atty. Lee today?”

 

“I don’t have. Would it not be possible for me to meet him if I don’t have appointment with him?”

 

“I will check on that, miss. We just prioritize those who have schedule on him for the day” the employee faced the screen of her computer and typed for something before asking me again “Can I have any identification card of yours?”

 

“Sure” as soon as I handed her my university i.d she reached for the telephone beside her and start drumming her fingers on the logbook on top of the table in front of her while waiting for the call to get in line

 

"What business do you have for Atty. Lee, Miss Park by the way?”

 

“I want to discuss some important matters to him regarding the case he’s representing me” I lied.

 

Yesterday when I was having dinner with mom and Chaerin, I figured I have to thank Donghae personally for saving me when I hit the hell of my weakest subject. I felt really bad that he never crossed to my mind when I thought of buying Youngbae and Bom lunch as a token of appreciation for helping me when in fact it was really Donghae who ultimately helped me in that crisis. So even when I contemplated a lot if I should push through coming here today I did anyway without knowing what else to do.

 

I hope I won’t be making any inconvenience to Donghae by taking some of his time. I just wanted to thank him for helping me in my case digests. I’ve already caused him that much disruption in his work doing that when he could have done some of his pending cases with those hours that he worked on my school requirement. It was really mortifying to know that a lawyer like him working in a prestigious law firm has helped me with that because his lunatic cousin don’t want to be bothered so she made him do that.  Anyhow, I still have to give due credits to her for doing that even though that induced me to loss of face.

 

The receptionist started talking to the other person at the end of the line “Good afternoon! Atty. Lee has a client looking for him here at the lobby. However, she hasn’t made an appointment to him for today.”

 

After a minute or two of conversation over the phone the receptionist turned to me with dismay on her face

 

“Miss Park, Atty. Lee took off today according to his secretary. He just got out of his office before the call”

 

Great! I stressed myself over night that I had a hard time falling asleep while thinking of what I should say to Donghae after appearing in front of him without any prior notice. It’s a relief though.

 

“Is that so? Hm okay I think I’ll have to email him instead. Thank you” I smiled at her before leaving the information desk

 

I have no other plans aside from extending my gratitude to him for what he has done so I’m still thankful that Donghae wasn’t at his office today. Otherwise, I’ll embarrass myself again in front of him. He’s had enough of those that every time I meet him he has to come and rescue me from his cousin’s out of this world ideas.

 

I guess I’ll just head home and take some rest, charge up before going on in another bloody battle with paper works.

 

Coming in here today has hit me hard with the reality of how cruel and full of menace my chosen line of profession is. Seeing those people earlier with their composed behavior has somehow triggers any remaining faith I have left for myself that I can be confidently win any case I will handle once I stand in court defending my client. But as time goes by and the number of outstanding people I met in this field increases, that perception of mine slowly diminishes that the only goal I have set for myself now is to get that title right after I graduated from university.

 

My anxiety isn’t helping each day I start doubting myself especially now that the person always helping me not to lost vision on that goal suddenly slipped away. Though my family and friends have been supportive of me and doesn’t put on too much pressure, it is hard to find the same level of comfort from people who isn’t going through the same situation as I am who can relate to whatever that’s bothering me. That probably explains why my dependence to Seunghyun has reached the point that it’s almost impossible for me to go on knowing that my constant motivation and support system is no longer beside me.

 

I’m deeply engrossed to my thoughts that I bumped my head on the glass wall of the revolving door on my way out of the building. There’s a loud thud that echoed in the solemn area of the building making people near me turn their heads on me in surprise. Well if that isn’t embarrassing!

 

“That really hurts! I hope that doesn’t deranged the remaining functional neurons I have when I’m already barely passing my subjects this semester” I muttered to myself while hardly rubbing my forehead with my palm to lessen the stinging pain burning beneath my skin

 

 I instantly bowed my head making the strands of my hair cover my face conscious of the people around me who might have seen it and started walking fast to save myself from this embarrassment u brought upon. If I want these people to regard me as a well-respected lawyer years from now people from here must not remember me as the someone who clumsily banged her head on the thick clear glass of their revolving door

 

“Miss Park! Miss Park! You forgot your identification card” a man from behind was calling my name

 

Wonderful! He basically announced to everyone who made a little scene back there. And that is me

 

Feet away from me I saw another figure, standing beside the security who is holding my identification card. He’s wearing a black button up that left its upper portion ed revealing a decent share of his fair skin beneath it. In his left arm hangs a black coat in a loosened fold making the end of its sleeve almost touch the rough texture of the ground while his hand rests in his pocket. His hair is dolled up in a clean style emphasizing the shape of his face that glows up his presence like a clean canvass for an art work. The man I was looking for earlier now stands before me.

 

Donghae talked briefly to the security running after me before taking my identification card from the latter’s hand and tap him on his shoulder

 

“Dara-ssi?” he walks towards my direction

 

 “It’s nice seeing you here. You have business here earlier?” He pointed the building behind me

 

I opened my mouth to talk but nothing comes out. Seeing him in flesh in front of me paralyzes my reflexes. Must it be from the shock of unexpectedly meeting him outside the building or it was just his pretty face I only noticed today? Bommie’s family really has good genes! I wonder if the lawyer representing the opposing party often gets their own moment of self-absorption after facing him in court because his presence is distracting enough to keep you out of focus. I wish I have the same impact as him because that can put you in great advantage. Feisty!

 

An ear-piercing honk made me slightly jump from where I’m standing, snapping me out of the little fantasy I was thinking about. A valet driver rush out from Donghae’s white Audi waiting at the driveway

 

After I collected myself from staring too much at Donghae I replied, “I was supposed to come at your office but your secretary said you took your day off”

 

“Really? What made you come here at my office?”

 

“Well it was about the cases you helped me work with when Bom asked you”

 

“Oh yeah I forgot to check on that. How was it?” He shifted his weight on his other foot

 

“Most of the cases I was asked to recite were from the ones you made so I came to thank you”

 

“Hm then I guess you owe me a meal for that don’t you think?” a flash of grin came out of his lips

 

I laugh “I know but maybe next time. You might be needed somewhere else today”

 

“Nothing important. I’m heading to the mall to cool off. So, can I claim my meal now? I mean I could really make good use of that right now”

 

“Like right now?”

 

“Yeah? Unless you have other plans for the rest of the day?”

 

I shake my head

 

“Cool! Then let’s get going. I’m really hungry”

 

Donghae began to march on the other side of the car where the driver seat is and I went straight to the passenger seat

 

The blasting rock music startled me when I opened the door

 

“You listen to rock music?” I blurted in surprise “or the valet driver only forgot to turn off the player before coming out?”

 

“Why does it seem to shock you that much? Of course, I do. Does it not match how I act?”

 

I snorted

 

“Wow that’s really offensive, Dara-ssi” he said in a playful tone

 

“What? I didn’t say anything!” I said in between as I laugh

 

He stayed silent after that but a wide grin is plastered in his face. He look at me long enough for me to feel his gaze so I give him back a look that challenges him to a seemingly staring game joke making the two of us erupt in laughter

 

Donghae rest his foot on the gas pedal making the car engine roar in a sophisticated reverberation before stepping on to the clutch.

 

Where exactly we’re going – I have no idea. How Donghae can afford to have a little luxury of having so much time in his hands for personal stuffs amazes me. If he can balance the stress plagued in his office table and his life out of work is an exceptional talent I wish I was graced upon with too.

 

“So did you really bother yourself coming at my office today to say thank you when you could have just phoned me your gratitude?”

 

“Don’t give it too much thought. It was only ethical to do that for someone who basically saved your life” I said while looking at the buildings and people as the car passes by them

 

“I did?”

 

“Yeah. You know, I’m already on the brink of flunking that course then that one time I wasn’t able to start any of the cases assigned to me that day because I overslept I knew I was doomed. I have no other choice but to really call for a friend when I was given a chance by doing those hundred cases. So I swallowed my own medicine”

 

“Uhuh and you happen to call a fashion major and Biology student in that case to help you. Good going”

 

I’m not sure if it was mockery or I just realized how dumb was of me that I only thought about it now

 

“I have no one else to ask for help. Also I was in a state of panic I don’t know what’s going on in my mind that time. Only now I was given that much papers to digest within 2 days and is expected to know every information in there by heart. The last time I had that amount of cases to read was in family relations but it was manageable then because Seunghyun presented to do half o-“

 

I stopped talking as a lump in my throat began to form.

 

Talking about him is a poignant reminder that he’s nothing but a memory I can only reminisce about now. A bittersweet memory I’m pondering to let go or hold on to. Will it take away the sadness and frustrations should I resort to the former?

 

“Why did you stop?” he steals a quick glance to my side before returning his attention back at the road “Seunghyun helped you with your cases before?”

 

I shudder at the simple tense used. Past; like him in my life now.

 

The rest of the ride was deafening – both from the loudness of the rock music playing inside the car and the awkwardness enveloping us after that colossal blunder I muttered. Donghae did not say a word after that too.

 

It fascinates me how a single word can easily kill the mood. Much more when that doesn’t have much effect on the other person but unknowingly shared from the same tone of the uneasy atmosphere because you single-handedly throws off mood.

 

When we got to the mall, Donghae had the liberty to decide where we will have our meal. He chose a restaurant that mainly serves Italian dishes, reasoning that he’d been wanting to eat there for a long time but his schedule constrains him to.

 

The establishment we dined in to has the typical, rustic Italian restaurant. The brick stone that clothes its walls where various paintings and frames hang on it that adds to the embellishment of its Italian vibe; the discerning classic Italian music playing in the background in a calming calibration of volume. The lone opulent chandelier dangling in the center of the restaurant flaunts the rich culture it represents tantamount to the degree of dining service and luscious cuisine. It has a radiating ambience of making you experience as if you personally dined in an authentic restaurant in Italy.

 

He insisted in paying the bill for our meal since it was him who forcefully drags me at the mall today according to him so it was only rightful that he’s the one treating me. For now. And that I should start saving to repay him for the work he’s going to pull in making Bom believe of this planned act we both conspired to do.

 

The mall is packed as usual by people with their families, friends, significant other or just by themselves enjoying their free time to look around.

 

A kid on our left crying while holding his cotton candy stick as his mom hush him in comfort; a group of young people in their uniform cheering inside the game house; and a salesman in his neatly worn uniform flash a smile before us inducing as to the product he’s marketing. As we pass by these people, it made me wonder, how many of them are really happy, frustrated or tired and how many are concealing what they’re truly feeling inside.

 

“Donghae-ssi” I called for him

 

He looks at me with a questioning look

 

“I’ll just go to the comfort room” I pointed him where the comfort room is

 

“Okay. I’ll wait for you here”

 

The comfort room barely had people. Except me and the lady wiping the mirror near the sink, I think no one else is around.

 

I was in the middle of applying a lip balm when my phone vibrates

 

It’s Youngbae

 

“Hey, what made you call?”

 

“Noona!” he chuckles on the other line

 

“I told you stop calling me that. It makes me feel old” I said rather in a less authoritative tone while fixing my hair

 

“I was teasing you! Where are you? I’m hungry! I’m going to claim my free meal you offered yesterday”

 

“The offer is valid only yesterday”

 

“Eh?! Why? I cleared my schedule today to ask you to treat me”

 

“Because I wanted to have someone to talk to yesterday after class to energize me after my class but you and Bom were both busy”

 

“Well, you can talk to me now so you can be me meal now”

 

“I told you it’s no longer valid. Besides, I’m at the mall today”

 

I start putting back the things I pull out from my bag and head to where I left Donghae

 

“Oh I can come where you are. Where are you?” in the background I heard someone calling for Youngbae’s name

 

“Ah I’m with Donghae-ssi. We’re at the mall”

 

“You’re discussing legal matters with him at the mall? Don’t you think that’s a little too bold to talk about that in public?”

 

“I’m not. I was supposed to treat him for a meal because he also helped me with the cases and it happened that he’s going to the mall so he tags me along”

 

“Why are you treating him today and I’m not? That’s unfair, Dara! Oh wait are you two close now?”

 

“Does having a meal with someone establish a perception that you’re close with them?”

 

“Yah don’t answer a question with a question too!”

 

“I’ll call you again. Maybe later. Bye!” I ended the phone call with Youngbae

 

Donghae is standing in the middle of the hallway with both of his hands inside his pocket. He’s staring into something that he must not have sensed I was already beside him

 

“Donghae-ssi?”

 

He turned to me in surprise “Oh you’re back”

 

“Yeah” I hold the sling of my cross body bag

 

“Dara-ssi, do you know how to ice skate?” he asked out of nowhere

 

I bob my head sideways “I’m not sure. I only tried once when I was a kid. Why do you ask?”

 

As if a brilliant idea came up to his mind, a triumphantly grin escapes his mouth. Only then I realized where he’s looking at a while ago that made him not notice my presence – the ice skating rink. He’s not thinking of going there righ-

 

“Let’s go skating!” there’s so much excitement in his voice like a kid pulling his mom to an ice cream parlor

 

“What?!”

 

“Oh do you need to go back at the university now?” his excitement immediately plummets

 

“No but I don’t know how to ice skate, Donghae ssi”

 

“Don’t worry I’ll teach you. It is a piece of cake compare to your 100 cases” without waiting for my answer he reached for my left arm and gently drags me along with him towards where the skating rink is

 

After numerous tries with my lame protests that I’ll just wait for him outside the rink, Donghae is persistent to get me into skating. You really can’t argue with an experienced lawyer

 

“I told you not to worry about it. Think of it as a way of distressing” he said while tying the lace of his borrowed ice skating shoes

 

“We’re not even wearing appropriate clothes to go ice skating now. Don’t you want to come back some other time? Also, you might be needed back in your office”

 

“I already managed all the pending cases given to me and I don’t have trial until next week. As for the clothes, it’s fine. We’re not competing anyways”

 

“The clothes I’m wearing are really uncomfortable for that” I’m wearing tight blue faded jeans, a light plain white shirt with an ankle length robe like striped coat

 

“How much more the corporate get up I’m wearing now? C’mon” he offered his hand for me to hold on to as a support when I stand up with a steep blade beneath the boots I am wearing. Standing alone in this rubber carpet is already arduous how much more standing in that slippery ice floor inside the rink

 

Donghae carefully guide me towards the entrance where the rink is. When we got there, it took me a great amount of time before finally collecting some courage to step inside. As soon as I set my foot on the ice, it slips on the floor making me lose my balance and grip on Donghae’s hands. I fell down on my

 

“Yah!!!!!!” a frustrated outcry escapes from me

 

Instead of offering his hand to pull me to stand up, Donghae had his hands in his stomach from bursting out from too much laughing.

 

“YOU SAID YOU WOULD HOLD ME!” I complained

 

“I did! It was you who removed the grip from my hand” he said while having a hard time saying those words as he find some air to gasp from cracking up

 

“Okay, get up. Here just hold my hand no matter what” he extends his right hand to me “When you get into practice, think of it as teaching someone for the first time how to ice skate. It’s not a lot different from that. By letting a lawyer handle your case is like holding their hands to depend on as a support when you’re already at the rink. You slip, you stumble, and it’s the lawyer’s hand you’re going to hold on to first. It is also your responsibility not to let them down after getting into that situation”

 

“You did not purposely ask me to ice skate with you for you to say that to me, right? Because you can say that to me even without making me go through this slippery road”

 

He snickered at what I said “Of course not”

 

Donghae taught me some of the tricks not to fall by putting too much strength on my lower body. We stayed at the same spot for who knows how many minutes has it been until I can finally manage to stand by myself without holding on to him or to the railings. My stuttering kneecaps intensify as the cold inside the rink enters the thin fabric of my clothes.

 

“That’s it!” he come near me “Now hold my hand and sway your feet by push one foot ahead of the other and march the other after that”

 

I’m hesitating to advance forward afraid that I’m going to sprain my foot if I slip one more than

 

“It’s okay. I’m holding your hands” He said to me in assurance

 

“It’s hard”

 

“You haven’t even tried it yet” his grip on my hand tightens like a guarantee that he won’t let me fall

 

Slowly, I tried to glide my right foot upfront making Donghae retreat his left foot to adjust in my advancement and I did the same with my other foot. Gradual changes became evident, approximately a meter or two from where we were staying before.

 

Repeating the same movement until I quite master it for the next few minutes, Donghae decided that maybe I can handle it by myself now

 

In panic, it causes my legs weaken and my entire body is once again in contact with the freezing floor of the rink

 

“You have so little confidence and trust you have for yourself” he lift me by my arms “I did not let go of your hands, Dara. I only loosened my grip but I did not let it go”

 

He stares intensely straight to my eyes.

 

As if the cold inside the skating rink cooled down and starts to warm, I can feel my sweats drop in my neck. I got up and pluck some courage to try it again

 

“How about we try you holding on to with my right hand only? So you can see for yourself if you can do the balancing now”

 

I nodded. I tried to keep myself calm and not give in to the thinking I will slip again. So I take his hand with my left hand depending more than half of my weigh to his grip I stand with my feet together, bent a little to transfer some strengths in my legs.

 

I must have pulled him hard that when I slip off my feet it caused him lose his balance as well. I closed my eyes in anticipation of the tough, cold landing in the ice but Donghae managed to cup my back so I won’t fall.

 

“I’m s-“ distracted by the close proximity of our faces now only apart by few centimeters I took the opportunity to have a closer look of some of his features I haven’t noticed before. The guy doesn’t have any visible pores! How is that possible? And he has a finer nose structure than most of the girls I’ve met. His eyes, somewhere from the depths of those brown eyes emanate a rapid stream of hundreds of emotions I cannot decipher like it has a language of its own. “fine?”

 

I studied his face a long time that my back is now becoming wearing and my legs start to feel numb. Donghae helped me get back to my feet

 

“Uhh yeah I think you look quite fine” I said in a shy tone diverting my attention to the other people inside the skating rink

 

He giggled “What makes you think I look fine all of a sudden?”

 

“Huh? Isn’t that what you asked me?”

 

“You thought I was asking you if I look fine?”

 

“Yeah that’s what you said”

 

“I said I’m sorry and asked if you’re fine, Dara-ssi”

 

Flustered by what he said I can feel my face burning from this mortification. I would have already walked out of shame if it weren’t for the ice skating footwear I’m wearing now.

 

“But I’m flattered that you see me that way”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

-------------

how do you find the new image cover for this fanfic? Do you prefer this or the previous one? Please let me know! 

Until the next update, see you!!

 

PS. I strongly believe that One More Chance is a song relating to Donghae's break up. With who?? You know who it is :P (im sorry that i am not sorry for my delusions haha)