Chapter 3

One Tiny Lie

“Of course, I do! Just because a person made a mistake doesn’t mean our feelings to them will go away in an instant. And what kind of question is that? I think that’s no longer relevant” Why is he asking me this? It’s not like it has a direct correlation to the merit of the case

 

“It is. And even if it’s not, I want to know because that is important to me” Donghae looked at me straight in the eyes

 

Something in the depth of those eyes when I met them urges to let out what I’m keeping inside. It’s like luring me to open up that part I tried to shut from other people but I can’t give in especially when there’s a thin line between empathy and curiosity. And many times I tried to find solace from people showing comfort but all they wanted is to pry; nothing more than that.

 

I must not let my guards down.

 

“Why does it matter to you? Well, if that’s not an offensive thing to ask”

 

“So then I will know if you’re worth the time”

 

“Excuse me?” Is he for real? I did not ask for his help in the first place!

 

He seemed to have read what’s in my mind based on my expression and tone that he replied in alarm “I hope you don’t get the wrong note, Dara-ssi. I’m just making sure the battle’s all worth it because we’re going against Bom”

 

“What?” I looked at him, puzzled

 

“What what?”

 

“I really don’t get what you’re talking about, Donghae-ssi. Can you explain things to me in a clear and precise way? I thought we’re filling before the court charges against Seunghyun? How did Bom get in the picture? Why would we go against her?”

 

“Ahh!” he lightly scratched his eyebrow “Because I figured you really wouldn’t want to file a suit against him so we’re faking it if that’s the only way we can make my cousin to stop pestering about us. We’ll pretend we did file charges against your ex-fiancee”

 

‘Ex-fiancee’ I thought it was already manageable but a pang of burning sensation stings somewhere in me

 

“Is it not illegal for you to do those things? You’re a lawyer and you’re putting your profession on stake because of this”

 

“I don’t think so. We don’t mean to lead anyone to do something that will benefit us anyway. And if your mind changes and want to proceed with the filing of case then I can help you find someone who will really represent you in court”

 

“What if Bom asks questions about the status of the trial?”

 

“Depends on what decision you make by then. If you decided to go on with this, we’ll have it cover up”

 

“She can’t be easily fooled though” I can only let out a sigh of despair

 

“I know. That nosy old woman, really.” He shake his head “then how about this. You won’t take offense if I let my secretary tries to find Seunghyun’s whereabouts is it?”

 

I was taken aback by his statement. I’ve always wanted to hear something from him or just tiny information about him is enough to put my heart in ease and Donghae Is here generously giving me that on a silver platter and I couldn’t be any more delighted to hear that but why does a part of me is scared instead? Suddenly, I do not want to know how things are going on with him. Will I be able to bear it if I knew he's not fine and I can't do anything about that? Because I don’t think I can handle it either if I know he’s doing fine without me while I, on the other hand, is still on the same ground where he left me before. That will make me want to crawl back in his life again even more.

 

“I-I’m not sure about that” Uncomfortable, I shifted in my seat

 

He seemed surprise but still managed to show a wan smile “Not the answer that I was expecting but okay”

 

What does he meant by okay though?

 

Donghae turned his head where the window is, facing the busy road where people are passing by and I did the same. We stayed silent for the next few minutes listening to the car beeps, the small chats and laughter from people on other tables and the enticing aroma of the coffees being served. The silence growing between us is becoming more calming like it loosened us from everything that’s adding weight to the gravity of our own worries. It’s as close as a moment of self-reflection; the kind of luxury that hardly given a heed of notice to these days.

 

“Thank you, Donghae” he briefly turned to look at me before settling his attention to the half-eaten doughnut in front of him then back to the busy street beyond the window glass.

 

“For what?” he asked in a raspy voice

 

“For this. You know you might get in trouble doing this and it takes too much of your time. So thank you for saving me from your cousin”

 

“Don’t feel too flattered. It was all because of a selfish reason anyway?”

 

“Huh?” I turned to him

 

“I didn’t want to take the case because that might be the reason why I won’t be able to win my streak record at court” he gave me a mischievous smile, almost a playful one

 

“You didn’t lose a case yet?” the astonishment in my voice was nearly embarrassing

 

He giggled “Why does it seem to shock you that much? Do I look like someone who can’t even get his filed case approved in court?”

 

“That’s not it. It’s just that I’ve always admired and respect people like you”

 

With a smile full of mischief he said, “You can always admire me, Dara-ssi”

 

 

 

 

 

We walked out of the coffee shop after Donghae received a call. I check the time; it’s past 9 in the evening. We talked for so long we lost track of the time. Oh snap! I’ve got a handful of cases to digest. It’s going to be another tough battle overnight.

 

“Do you have your car with you?” Donghae asked after ending his phone call

 

“No, I’m taking a cab”

 

He looks at his wrist watch “It’s late. I should drive you home”

 

“No need. I should be fine. It looks like you need to go to somewhere else too”

 

“It’s the case we’re working on” he groaned “It’s keeping all of us up these days”

 

“You should hurry up”

 

“Okay. I’ll go ahead” I nodded and wave good bye

 

 

 

 

 

Chaerin was the one who opened the door for me when I came home.

 

“Why did you come in so late? 11 pm? Should I be jumping out of happiness now that you spent most of your time in a day outside your room?” she teased me

 

“I was at the coffee shop with Donghae-ssi” I went straight to the kitchen to find some food to eat

 

“Donghae?” She tilts her head as if trying to remember she heard that name “Ahh! Bom unnie’s cousin?”

 

“Yeah. Him” I said while rummaging the refrigerator

 

“Why did you met with him?”

 

There’s no cooked food left in here. I’m too tired to cook now so I’m probably just gonna eat some fruits. How come this day seem to have lasted forever it’s so tiring!

 

“Ommo!” Chaerin shouted “Yah, unnie! Did you really sued Seunghyun oppa that’s why you met up with Donghae oppa?”

 

I gave her a weak smile. That’s the only thing I could do for now. I cannot tell Chaerin about Donghae’s plan. She might accidentally mention it to Bom. I can’t risk that.

 

“Unnie!” She hugs me as she tried to console me “Everything’s going to be fine”

 

I nod. I wish, Chaerin. I really wish that as time passes, it amends what I cannot control.

 

We broke our hug

 

“Unnie” she calls with an alert in her voice then smiles cheekly “I love you!”

 

I playfully slapped her arms and shooed her away. Afterwards, I went to my room

 

 

Seunghyun shows up with 2 coffees n his hands. We’re at the study hall, reviewing for our Philosophy test.

 

“Hey, reward yourself a little break” Then he handed me the cup of coffee

 

“Thanks but I can’t. I can’t afford to fail this course just because she does not validate my opinion when her examination was all subjective”

 

More than half of the class received a failing mark in our test at Philosophy because apparently our answers were contradictory to the theory. So basically it cannot fully support our opinions. Regardless, an opinion is an opinion; you cannot simply invalidate anyone’s perspective regarding a particular matter.

 

“I told you not to overthink about it. You just have to align your opinion on the theory given by philosophers”

 

“That’s a wack! Theories are mere propositions. It wasn’t established with solid facts to prove its credibility. It will all depend on how you impress Mrs. Kim with your words anyway”

 

“Just keep it cool. I taught you how you can form your argument based on the general principles. It’s going to be a piece of cake”

 

“Says by the one who charmed Mrs. Kim with his sugar-coated words that’s why you got an A+” I rolled my eyes and laugh

 

Seunghyun is one of those few people that have been blessed with Mrs. Kim’s passing mark. I read his previous answers as reference and reviewer and I still don’t get how that is an A+ worthy answer.

 

He laughed “Okay back to work! Stop complaining. So we barely got an hour before the test so I’m asking one last question”

 

“I’m ready “

 

“Suppose that you’re a doctor assigned in the warzone borders. You were wandering, looking for fallen soldier that needs immediate treatment then you happened to see a body of the soldier from the opposition. Are you going to treat him?”

 

“Of course! I’m a doctor and it is my duty to do that regardless of whatever parties we may come from. It’s a doctor’s oath.”

 

“Yeah, but you have to consider that you’re a citizen of the country in this genocide that soldier is bombing in the first place. It contradicts the very essence of the theory that one should act for the greater benefit of the society. Ergo, your opinion is invalid”

 

“Unbelievable! Can I just say, we’ll that’s not gonna happen because I’m not going to be a doctor but a lawyer instead”

 

“Sure you can. If you pass Mrs. Kim’s subject” I shot him death glares enough to make him laugh out loud

 

“You know I was just joking!”

 

“Whatever. Don’t disturb me! I think I need to summon my other self who completely thinks differently. That may be the only hope for me to pass this course”

 

“You can do it, Dara. Besides, I’m here to help you do that”

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday afternoon -  my head hurts from all the misfortune that happened today and it’s not helping that Bom and Youngbae are bickering in front of me that addends to the noise inside the university activity area

 

“Noona, I heard your relationship with Minseok didn’t lasted for a week”

 

“Because he’s a jerk! What a flock of jerk friends you have, Youngbae. I won’t be surprised if you are one”

 

“Yah! It’s rude to generalize people because of the people they are usually with”

 

“Is it not? I mean why else would you hang with them if your personalities don’t click? What else is there? I’m sure Minseok and the other guys you introduced to me aren’t your classmates either.”

 

“Maybe you’re really just bad at handling relationships, noona” he sticks out his tongue in tease

 

“See! You and your jerk friends are really alike maybe that’s WHY you never had a girlfriend.”

 

“Maybe I never really NEED one”

 

Bom slapped the table hard “Shut up! Why are you annoying me so much today?”

 

“I’m just trying to find out why you and my friend did not work out” he bursts in laughter obviously not done pestering Bom

 

“What you should try to find out is how you can pick the right one. Aish! You’re always giving me the mediocre ones who cannot stand me. I’m already thinking maybe you are trying to sabotage my love life but I can’t see any reason why”

 

“The problem’s not within me, noona. You just really ”

 

“Omo this son of a !” Bom rose from her seat and headed to where Youngbae is seating “Don’t let me come near you or you’re dead!”

 

But there isn’t enough time left for Youngbae to run because Bom is already in front of him ready to punch him hard. He could only use his hand to protect himself from the raging Park Bom

 

I pinch my nose bridge trying to suppress the stress that’s escalating to the peak of my noise tolerance but they’re not going to stop anytime sooner so I shouted “Yah!”

 

They stop and turned to look at me the same time with surprised faces as if they had forgotten I was with them

“You’re driving me crazy more than my LegMed! I should have not called you to ask for help” I frowned and directed my ire at the both of them

 

“What’s LegMed?” Bom innocently asked?

 

Youngbae pulled her next to him to whisper her something that’s loud enough for me to hear

 

“Are you not listening to her a while ago? She called us because she wasn’t able to read all the assigned cases in her Legal Medicine subject so she was yelled at and given a hundred cases to read”

 

I can only let out a long and deep groan. I should have just locked myself at my room back home!

 

Unfortunately last night when I went up to my room I set up 30 minute alarm because I said I’m only going to take a nap in preparation for the long night awaiting for me to do all the assigned readings for me. However, of all the time in this world that my luck would have ran out, it chose to pass into oblivion on that very moment I needed it the most. I woke up next the day! And if it hadn’t for Chaerin’s singing voice that early morning there won’t be chance in hell that I had woken up.

 

I rushed to class in a torpid state just in time for the discussion of the assigned cases on me. Never in my life had I desperately wished I was instead hit by a car on my way to school or fall into a giant sinkhole or I wake up from this nightmare I never ask or whatever that will prevent me from skyrocketing to the wall of shame.

 

“But why are you asking us to help you as if we’ll be of any help to you?” Bom asked

 

“Maybe you can do the moral or emotional help if you can’t with the technical aspect” I rolled my eyes

 

“Sure!” she enthusiastically went back to her seat – next to mine.

 

“God! I was being sarcastic if you hadn’t noticed!” I’m going to cry any minute now

 

“You are?” Bom looks confused so she looked at Youngbae

 

“You helped me before in doing this! You just have to read each case and summarize it in not more than one page”

 

“But you mocked it before saying it was a piece of drudgery”

 

“Only in those cases you worked on” Youngbae intervene “Which are the other cases you haven’t read yet?”

 

“You’re mistaken. Dara was directly pointing daggers in your eyes when she said that before. So it was yours”

 

I ignored Bom’s remark and face Youngbae. A brush of relief somehow lessens the stress “I’ll send you the list of the cases”

 

 He nodded “I guess it’s time to see whose cases are worthy of being thrown straight at the trash”

 

“Bring it on!”

 

 

 

Youngbae and I already finished few piles of cases after hours of working while Bom… I’m not sure about her progress she looks too untroubled that I’m afraid she’s just lurking at her laptop. Sigh

 

“How is it going out there, Bom noona?”

 

Bom smirked “You put way too much effort for something that’s only worth to be thrown away”

 

“Are you referring to your work? Because that’s what I thought too”

 

“Enough! You two better not do me dirty with this my life’s at stake so don’t you dare!” they have so much energy left to fight even after reading cases! My goodness!

 

“You’ll thank me for this, Dara” Bom sent me a flying kiss. This girl really!

 

“Yeah. She’ll thank you that she can finally end your friendship with her because your half- work”

 

“Do you want to bet on it?” Why is this girl so confident now? It’s starting to scare me when she’s this competitive

 

“For the same price?”

 

“Hmm you always give me average potential boyfriends though but fine I think that’s bearable” then they both laughed

 

“I can’t believe you’re betting on these cases when my life’s at risk on this! You are cruel”

 

“We got you, Dara. We won’t do something that’s gonna put you in trouble, right noona?” Youngbae tried to assure me

 

“Yes. I asked Donghae to do it for me so you do not have to worry about it. Your work next meeting will be fantastic!” she bubbly clapped her hands in rejoice

 

“YOU DID WHAT?” as if an electric shock occurred, it made me stand up in surprise

 

“I asked Donghae to do it for me. Don’t worry he won’t know it was for you”

 

“You dimwit! My name’s indicated in the documents I sent you! Of course he will know” I knew there’s something fishy that she’s not complaining in those hours how hard the cases are because she passed it to someone to do it for her. For me!

 

“At least you’re going to finish it all. Also, you don’t have to be shy about it he’s already helping you in your case to Seunghyun”

 

“What case?” Youngbae asks Bom

 

“Oh you don’t know? I told her” she points me “to sue Seunghyun in court for damages. My cousin, Donghae, is going to represent her”

 

“What? That’s absurd! Why is she going to sue Seunghyun?”

 

“Because he deserves it”

 

“Yah! Park Bom! Tell your cousin he’s not going to help me with these cases”

 

“Too late! He’s on his way here he said he’s going to hand to me the soft copies of all the case digest he did” she said in a matter-of-fact tone

 

“Hey! What about our bet? That’s cheating, noona!” Youngbae complained

 

“There’s no agreement that we can’t ask for anyone’s help, Youngbae”

 

“Oh my god I think I’m going to pass out because of you!” I had my palm on my face

 

“Hold it in for few minutes, girl. If there’s anything you don’t understand you can ask him”

 

“Bom!” I sit while stomping my feet angrily “He’s a busy person! My goodness I can’t face him from too much embarrassment”

 

“He said he’s fine with it. He’s stubborn you know he’s not going to do it if he’s busy”

 

A phone chimes in and Youngbae groans “Dara noona, I’ll email to you these cases later. It’s time for my training I have to get going if I don’t wanna run 10 laps” then he fixes his things

 

“Bye Youngbae! Keep on thinking about all the other cases while you are on your training!” Bom giggled victoriously

 

“Cheater!” Youngbae start to ran away from our table

 

“Loser! Don’t forget finding me a boyfriend!”

 

“Yah!!!!!!!!!” I hit her arms continuously

 

“Ouch! Stop assaulting me”

 

“I’m really going to assault you! Why did you have to ask for Donghae’s help? You should have just told me you don’t want to do it”

 

“I told you its fine with him don’t make it a big deal. Oh wait stop hitting me I need to pick up this call” then she distanced herself from where our table is

 

After few minutes she came back and started organizing her things “Pack your things now, Dara. Let’s go. Donghae is already at the parking lot”

 

“Why do I have to come with you?”

 

“Common etiquette, Dara. You give thanks to someone who helped you. Now c’mon let’s go!”

 

 

 

Every step I take I wish I could ran away from this but Bom held my laptop in case I ever thought of sneaking she had all my works. Brilliant!

 

“Dara, help. You might see a white Audi that’s probably Donghae” Bom said while looking around

 

In this open space full of cars, sure

 

“Oh! There! Donghae!!” Bom’s voice so loud it could echo in this enormous place

 

We talked towards him

 

“Dara-ssi” he’s wearing his usual formal suit with his hands inside his pocket

 

“Donghae-ssi. We met sooner than I expected”

 

“Donghae-ah you had it in your flashdrive, right?” Bom asked

 

“Yes, it’s inside the car. Wait I’ll go get it” he’s about to turn towards the driver’s side when Bom speaks

 

“Just give it to Dara when we get inside the car. Dara, let’s go. We’ll drop you off”

 

Huh?

 

 

 

 

I’m sitting awkwardly in the passenger seat after Bom asks Donghae to drop her somewhere saying that she needs to go back to school because there seems to have a problem with the dress she made for next week’s fashion week in school. Bom has always been leading and directing the fashion week activity in the university along with her other fashion designer colleagues.

 

So now I’m trying hard to think of something to talk about while on the road.

 

“I’m sorry you get tangled doing something crazy because of me again I was fooled into thinking that Bom was subservient doing that. I should have known better” I tried to laugh it off. I hope that didn’t sound too forced and awkward

 

“Oh is it not you who asked me to do it?”

 

“WHAT? Did Bom told you that I am asking you to do it?”

 

He nodded

 

“THAT CRAZY WENCH!” I pulled my phone and angrily types on the screen

 

“I was kidding! Bom said it was for a friend she can’t name but your name was indicated therein” he laughs

 

“I know. I can’t believe she didn’t noticed that”

 

“So why did you end up doing 100 case digest?”

 

“Oh, that. I was so tired yesterday I said I’m only going to take a nap for 30 minutes then when I woke up I’m already running late for my class. Ugh!”

 

“Ha! You’re so unlucky. You need to get your fortune check on your free time that helps a lot in law school especially when you’re already drained”

 

“I really should.” I smiled

 

“I guess we’re here. That’s what the gps says”

 

“Yeah."

 

When we got out of car I told him "Thank you for the lift, Donghae-ssi”

 

“No problem”

 

“I swear we need to stop meeting unexpectedly because of your cousin’s crazy ideas” I joked

 

“As long as she lives that will be impossible, I’m afraid”

 

“Tame her sometimes so she don’t have to order you around"

 

"Already working on it!"

 

A curve line formed in my lips "Goodnight, Donghae-ssi”

 

“Good night, Dara”