Chapter 2

One Tiny Lie

“You’ve got to be kidding me” Donghae was the first one to break the shock that Bom brought on us

 

“Why would I do that?” I asked, now in an irritably tone

 

“This is a win-win situation for you”

 

“And how is that a winning situation for me when I’m going to sue a person who has done nothing wrong?” I’m getting mad now

 

“Nothing wrong? Maybe he’s not in the same par as the people you are trying to convict in court with their criminal or civil liability but he still done something wrong. Dara, in case you left your mind somewhere allow me to remind you that Seunghyun left without any explanation why he chickened out on your wedding. That son of a brought you public humiliation and a broken heart on the day that was supposed to be the best day of your life that pretty much turned it into a tragic one, if you ask me to describe it. How many months has it been? 3? 4? And where the hell is he? Poof! Gone! If you sue him, you’ll not only get compensated for the damages he caused but you can also possibly out the truth why he went MIA. And who knows, as much I don’t want this to personally happen, that might be the only way to see him. Again” Bom explained

 

“Even so, I don’t think a legal case is necessary.” I hissed

 

“You’re taking this way too seriously, Bom” Chaerin add

 

“Is this something we should not take seriously? I mean yeah I get it that you may find this ridiculously frivolous but what can we do? He still hasn’t contacted her and it’s been months! We must do something. You know I can just let this off since ever since that day, I gravely detest his being but if that’s the only we way these two can have closure then why not. I want him to clear to her why he was a jerk!” Bom crossed her arms in frustration. You can now tell that talking about Seunghyun is enough to put her on the ragged edge.

 

 

I’ll be lying if I said I didn’t consider her idea but filing for a suit because he didn’t showed up is too much. I’m not cruel to do that to him. After all, he might have his reasons for bailing me. Even when I try to hate him for doing it, I couldn’t bring myself to get mad at him. Upset and disappointed, yes; but to loathe him? I don’t think I can. We’ve been through a lot of things since we got together. We had fights that took weeks before we forgive each other and let bygones be bygones. There are times when we’re already in the brink of ending our relationship that we didn’t talked for two months. So even when I want to look what happened to us with the same perspective that this just another hurdle in our relationship as our past misunderstandings, I can’t help but to ask myself from time to time why must it be during on our wedding day? He shouldn’t have asked me to marry him in the first place if he wasn’t so sure about it. Did he get tired of our relationship that it was so easy for him to run away like that? Did he realize that it was no longer me who he wants to spend the rest of his life with? Every question I throw at myself confuses me that I want to scream in frustration. I want him to clear everything with me but I have no idea where he is!

 

Now I feel like I’m having heart spasms. The muscles within the arteries of my heart start to tighten, giving me a heavy feeling I cannot steer to make it go away. I don’t want to cry. If I do, people will only look at us and that will lead Bom to think more of ideas to come up with a perfect way to commit a vicious assault on Seunghyun. So instead, I placed my hand over my heart trying to calm myself down. Breathe in. breathe out. If I want to move on from that jinxed day I must not let a single name have so much effect on me.

 

“We don’t have to go up to that extent, Bom. Not because we have law to charge guilty acts doesn’t mean we have to use it in every way possible. It’s not like he committed murder for us to subject him to that” Chaerin defended

 

“Then when are we gonna use them? What are laws for if we’re not gonna put them into application and let them be just laws scribbled on papers?”

 

“I mean we don’t have to blow up a simple situation. I know we’re all jaded but that will bring in more collateral damage”

 

“Well, tell me then Miss SmartyPants, can you suggest other ways how we can make a man who doesn’t want to be found come out of his cave so he can pay for deceiving us and leaving Dara in the state of emotional anguish?” the atmosphere is getting heated by this conversation that will lead us nowhere. You really can’t go against Bom if she already had things planned in her head

“I don’t know! She’ll get over him with time. Isn’t she doing well now? Why do you have to mention Seunghyun again!”

 

“Oh is that what you think how it seems now? Because from what I see, she’s not anywhere near being ‘fine’. You don’t make peace with your past especially when that didn’t end well. Hell, it didn’t even ended to begin with because he ran away! It’s not the same as our professors who gives us a failing mark and then we can easily take the same subject to another professor. And knowing Dara, I’m sure she’ll accept Seunghyun again if he comes back begging for her forgiveness”

 

Chaerin and Bom are now looking at me waiting for me to deny it. Instead, I tossed their intriguing eyes and said “Bom, you’re really becoming nosy now. You’re getting under my skin today”

 

I tried to shift the mood and avoid their eyes. I don’t want this conversation to go on. It’s draining all my energy. Also because I know too well that at some point, Bom is right. It’s scary that even after all this mess, I still have the heart to forgive him.

 

“See, she’s trying to dodge it. You’re so transparent Dara” Bom laughed in amusement.

 

“Because I know if I say anything, you’ll try to pick on me. So I did not dare. Now go home! Your cousin wasted so much time for you today” I faced Donghae with an apologetic look “I’m sorry you have to hear my life’s drama. I know how people in your field value their time too much so don’t let Bom order you around”

 

He gave me a warm smile. It’s almost comforting. “I’ll try”

 

“Whatever. Since Chaerin failed to propose new ideas, we’ll stick to plan. Dara, you’ll sue him. donghae, you will be her legal counsel” Bom picked her bag and stood up

 

“Bom!” I complained

 

“Either you follow what is settled or I’m going to tell your mom about it. You know it’s going to be a lot worse if she steps in” how dare this girl threaten me!

 

“Yah! This is not fair!”

 

“Toodles! I’ll let Donghae contact you tomorrow to discuss other matters. Ciao!” she walked her way out of the coffee shop along with Donghae

 

“She’s insane” Chaerin declared

 

“You don’t have to remind me that. Ugh” I pressed my temples. Bom never fails to give me headache “Sometimes I wonder why she’s my bestfriend”

 

“I’m sure you’re not the only one who wants to know why” Chaerin could only take one last sip from her cup of coffee

 

 

 

I haven’t seen Bom in the next few days after that ridiculous plan f her to sue Seunghyun happened and a rush of relief showers me each day that we don’t cross each other’s path. But even without seeing her, she sure didn’t waned from reminding me to meet up with Donghae to discuss the legal process

 

You should go to his office! I’ll send you his address”

 

“He’s probably busy, Bom. Legal cases are one of a heck tough job” I said non-chalantly

 

“No, he’s not. And even if he is, I’ll make sure he accommodates your case first before anyone else”

 

“No you won’t. There’s no need for you to do that for me”

 

“Why? Are you finally coming today? Hold up. I’ll let him know”

 

“No because we’re not pushing this one through” I firmly declared

 

“Is that what you want?” is she finally giving up convincing me?

 

“Yes”

 

“Okay then I’m telling your mom. Goodby-“ OR NOT

 

“Hey! Fine fine! I’ll see him when I’m free”

 

“I know you won’t. You’ll keep delaying this until you think it’s enough time for me to forget about it. Dream on because I won’t”

 

I sighed in defeat “I have to go now, Bom. I have class”

 

“Okay. Fighting!”

 

It’s the same scenario every time she calls me. I’m getting tired of it that sometimes I want to do what she wanted just to end this. Sometimes I just want to crack my head for even considering that.

Tuesday afternoon, I’m heading to my first class for the day. Seoul National University has always been that school I always had my eyes on. Ever since I decided that I’m going to law school, I figured I had to take it here. But that’s what I thought until during my pre-law course at Sungkyunkwan when I met Seunghyun at a Philosophy class we both took together. I was a Political Science student back then and he was in International Studies. We never really talked to each other when that class started. When our first departmental test came, he was a few minutes late before the professor arrived and hand over the questionnaires. He sat on the empty seat beside me near the exit door.

 

Oh snap!” he whispered but loud enough for me to head. He racked his hair in annoyance before he start looking for something at his bag

 

I handed him his paper but he seem not to notice it so I tap his shoulder

 

“Hey, here’s your questionnaire” He turned to me in surprise as if he forgot that he was about to take the test

 

“Thank you” he muttered. I’m about to look away and start answering when he called me in a low voice “Uhm, excuse me, I’m sorry but do you have a spare pen? Guess I lost mine on my way here”

 

Before I give him a response, I first take a quick glance to the front where the professor is. She’s really sensitive to noises that may cause disturbance and really strict that ultimately turning your head to either side she’ll take it as a form of cheating. I need to be cautious if I don’t want to be subjected to a false claim so I carefully pull out another pen from my case and hand it over to him just in time when the professor turned her back on us.

 

I immediately bowed my head and face the paper on my desk but I didn’t missed how the man beside me whom I lend my pen when he thanked me for it. I could only twitch my lips into a smile.

 

I was one of the few who finished the test late than the others. There were only less than ten of us now in this room excluding the professor who attentively only has her eyes to the remaining students answering the test. I picked my things and went out of the room.

 

“Excuse me” a deep voice welcomed me as soon as I stepped out of the room. That almost startled me I could’ve shouted in shock.

 

“Oh I’m sorry I didn’t mean to frighten you” it was the guy who sat beside me! The one who borrowed my pen

 

“Ah. No, don’t be sorry. You didn’t frighten me at all. It’s just that I feel restless I think everything right now will give me a shock” I sighed

 

“Must be the test, is it?” he chuckled

 

“You have no idea” I can only shake my head in exhaustion

 

He smiled “Here’s your pen, by the way. Thank you for saving me thousands of bucks and an ocean-depth of stress”

 

“Huh?” I asked in confusion not getting what he meant by that

 

“I would’ve failed that class and have to repeat it again if I didn’t took that examination today just because I don’t have a damn pen” I laughed at how he emphasize the last words

 

“I’m Seunghyun. Thank you for today” He seem to be waiting for me to say something and I only looked at him blankly

 

“Ah!” when I realized he’s waiting for me to say my name “Dara. You can call me Dara”

 

“Dara” he repeats with a smile on his lips “Thank you, Dara. Reallllly”

 

“No biggie. I just had to be extra careful a while ago not to get caught because you know how strict professor Kim is”

 

“I know. If only there are other open Philosophy classes that match my schedule, I would’ve transferred immediately. But she’s great. I like how she teaches”

 

“No I way” I said, dumbfounded

 

“What?

 

“Tell me that is a joke with an impressive sarcasm I failed to detect”

 

He laughed. His smile now reaches his eyes. For the first time I noticed how gorgeous he is. How the strands of his black hair falls on to his face that covers those perfectly lined eyebrows of him; how his eyes that effortlessly sends shivers on my skin caught me off guard; and his chiseled jaw line that are as clearly defined as in art work I’ve seen in museums

 

“Hey” he waved his hand in front of me “Are you fine?”

 

I didn’t realize I was already staring at him. I hope I didn’t started for too long that might freaked him out “I’m sorry I think today’s drained all the energy I have in my body”

 

“Oh I was thinking maybe we could, uh, get some lunch together as a token of gratitude but I think you need to go home and take a rest”

 

“Yeah I’m tired but I can’t say no for a rare free lunch with company” I feel like I regained all the energy I lost now that we’re talking about food

 

He smiled brightly “Okay. Let’s go. Where do you want to eat?”

 

 

 

Looking at the long list of meals at the menu after that life- test makes me want to eat everything in this restaurant

 

“Hm since I saved you thousand bucks and in addition, a second take of the Philosophy class I might at well compensate you for it with lots of good food” I smirked

 

He laughed so loud that it caught other people’s attention

 

“Well, I can’t spend anywhere near than the tuition I would’ve spent for a class than a few meals that would replenish your energy so go ahead and order whatever you want”

 

“Are you sure?” I gave him a teasing look, evil laughing at the back of my head

 

“Uhuh and if my card exceeds the limit we can opt to use yours” tables have turned it was him teasing me now

 

“If that’s the case then we’re both getting a salad” I announced

 

He laughed again and when I met his eyes I did the same

 

 

 

 

Now I’m sitting in to a class full of unfamiliar faces. It’s almost suffocating. They all share this commn aura that shrinks me into a tiny puddle of self-consciousness, intimidated by them. I still haven’t gotten used to it. I tried making companies but none seems to have time to go for chitchat with the new girl. So I focus on the entire 5 hour lecture and in between breaks endure the deafening silence.

 

“So what was the ruling of the court?” the professor asked in a stern tone

 

“The court held in convicting the accused-appellants of the crime of murder where they took advantage of superior strength in the commission of the crime, which qualifies the killing as murder under the first paragraph of Art. 248 of the RPC. While it is true that superiority in number does not per se mean superiority in strength, the appellants in this case did not only enjoy superiority in number, but where armed with a weapon, while the victim had no means with which to defend himself. Abuse of superior strength attended the killing when the offenders took advantage of their combined strength in order to consummate the offense”

 

Criminal law isn’t the best to take around dinner time when your stomach is growling from hunger.

 

It didn’t take long before the session was dismissed. I’m on my way to call for a cab when my phone chirped in.

 

Unknown number.

 

I feel a lump in my throat. There goes another tiny hope I planted somewhere within me

 

“Hello?”

 

“Dara-ssi?” disappointment clouded my expression

 

“Yes? Who is this?”

 

“This is Donghae. Can we meet up? It won’t take long” why would he want to meet up

 

I didn’t answered back right away so he speak once again

 

“You see, my cousin has been pestering me the past few days and it’s starting to get into my work. I’m sure she does the same to you”

 

“Unfortunately, yes” thinking about Bom bothering me again tomorrow stresses me

 

“I’m on the road now. Where can we meet?”

 

“Well, I just got out of class. Maybe a coffee shop near SNU?”

 

“Sure. I’ll text you which coffee shop should I get there first. See you”

 

“Okay”

 

The phone ended.

 

 

When I got into the coffee shop, Donghae was already sitting with a drink in his hand. His lone figure reminds me that of a prosecutor from the series I watched a long time ago. Or maybe that’s because I knew he’s a lawyer, hence the vibe he’s giving me. Otherwise, I can easily mistake him as the coffee shop owner with that blue suit he’s wearing.

 

I stopped in front of him and bowed before greeting him “I’m sorry. Were you waiting for a long time?”

 

“Not really. It’s good to have some quick self-reflection time sometimes” a thin smile formed in his face

 

“Sure it is”

 

“What drink would you like? Iced coffee?”

 

“No, I’m good. Don’t bother. I already ate before coming here”

 

“I see. So, can we now get straight to the point?”

 

“Uh, honestly I really came because I wanted to ask if we can not push this one through” I hesitated to say it at first

 

“That’s what I thought you would say” Donghae said as he leaned his back to the chair

 

“Instead of helping me in my case which would take most of your time anyway, can you help me regarding Bom? I really can’t stop her”

 

“Unfortunately, I can’t either. The girl’s unstoppable”

 

I took a deep breath and said “Well, then, I guess that left me with no choice” a forced laugh escapes my mouth

 

Donghae loked at me sternly as if he’s studying me. I can’t look at him directly in his eyes. It’s a little too overpowering. And I hate it when someone tries to figure me out. In some way, it makes me feel exposed and unguarded.

 

“Okay before we start I’d like to formally introduce myself. I’m Lee Donghae” he extends his hand for a shake

 

I smiled “I’m Dara Park. Nice to meet you again, Donghae” we exchange friendly smiles

 

“As you may know, I’m a corporate lawyer. And I never handled a case like yours before”

 

I nodded.

 

That’s just proves the statistics I mentally created myself that I share an ill-fated path with the rest of the other jinxed people out there

 

“So let’s start. Let us assume Mr. Seunghyun came back and appeared in front of you before the trial. What would you do? Would you want to get back together?” He’s a lawyer indeed. He wastes no time and directly shoots straight to the point.

 

“I’m not sure”

 

“Unacceptable court answer. There’s no in between, Dara-ssi”

 

“Okay. No” we both know t well that it was a half-hearted answer but he goes on

 

Donghae’s face now becomes more serious. Now I’m afraid to hear what he’s about to say next. Is this how the people behind the witness stand feel every time they get interrogated? No wonder pressure will obligate you to say the truth. I’m about to piss myself from this willies.

 

“But do you still love him?”

 

And there I wish there is an emergency button I can press to put the sprinklers on because that was too appalling for me to comprehend what he just asked.