Chapter 5

One Tiny Lie

(This is Dara's outfit when they came to the mall)

 

After having that cringe-worthy line of my life that basically wants me to put myself in a tank of boiling acid, I’m glad Donghae chose to let it go and never mentioned how I kind of fantasized his good-looking features right in front of his face. While he’s holding my back for support so I won’t fall down!

 

We spent another hour or so  in the rink until I managed to stand by myself and skate at least a hundred meters without holding on to Donghae for support nor without slipping in the eyes and fall in my . My freezing hands when we first get into the rink are now replaced with nasty sweaty palms as a result of extreme anxiety and weariness from the non-stop skating. It is embarrassing that Donghae might have actually felt, which I’m sure he did, disgusted by how sweaty my hands are every time I reach out for him to hold on to for support whenever I feel like I’m about to stumble once again.

 

The ice rink now packed with other people in all ages which made it a little difficult to comfortably go around and practice some more without bumping into anyone. It fascinates me to see that there are more people than I actually thought who can ice skate and enjoy every they take. It must feel good to have fun in this cold without worrying on anything. Maybe I can now understand why Chaerin always pester me to try any sport. It will truly turn your focus on that very moment and not on anything.

 

When we decided to leave the rink, Donghae offered his arm for me to hold on until we reach the bench where we can untie our figure skates.

 

Every step that I take is a step closer crackling my bones. I fell too many times that it will be no surprise if I see my back or even my covered in bruises. It is still quite manageable up to this point maybe because my body is taking its time to react retroactively from the impact of my stumbling series. If it already pains me now shortly after ice skating, I cannot imagine how much I had to bear later when it all kicks in.

 

Sheer exhaustion consumed me as soon as we took our seats. I felt so relieved that all I wanted at this very moment is to lie down in rest. Fatigue is starting to catch up and my limbs are already feeling the impact of my countless falls on the ice, making it harder for me to move without wincing in pain.

 

Donghae turned his body to face mine and say “Are you okay?” before reaching for the figure skate I used resting on the ground “I’ll just return these back and get our things in the locker.”

 

After collecting the skating shoes and gears we had rented on the surface, he head straight to where the rack is and placed back the shoes before going to the locker room. I tried to stand up from the bench where I’m sitting to help Donghae get our things in the locker room but I had to lean my right hand on the bench to support myself when I instantly lose my balance right after I stood up. My knuckles clatters, making it vibrate on its own so I took a sit again.  

 

I feel terrible how this day turned out. I hope I didn’t cause yet another inconvenience to Donghae by wasting his time teaching me how to skate without complaint. If I were him I would have been exasperated the first five minutes of teaching, especially when that someone repeatedly does the same mistakes for more than an hour. I just don’t have that kind of patience even when I know nothing comes smoothly after doing it the first try.

 

When Donghae came back, carrying our things in his hand, I noticed how his earlier composed posture in his suits now unkempt and mussy. If before I thought he looks just fine, now I’m starting to become aware of how attractive he is especially with that look. You know those guys being focused in a slow motion scene in movies when they’re first introduced to the story after describing them in a godly representation? Something like that. But can never come close within the proximity of how enchanting and stunning Seunghyun is and I doubt somebody else will because those words were made specially to illustrate his inhuman like features.

 

Why did I have to compare his looks with Seunghyun? Now I just wanna curl in my feet in a corner and sulk until I dried my face in tears of longing and despair. I miss him terribly. Would it really have been much easier if I just to what Bom suggested? It may sound so pathetic to choose that kind of recourse?

 

“Hey, are you really okay?”  I didn’t noticed that Donghae is now setting in the bench beside me

 

“Yeah, I am. How about you?” I caress the muscles of my thigh, trying to ease the growing pain

 

Donghae silently chuckled not but quite enough for me not to hear. I look at him in queer

 

He took a deep breath before saying something “My mom really loved ice skating outdoors during Christmas season. She used to drag me every chance she gets to sneak me whenever I’m not doing anything to come with her in an ice rink downtown” He paused for a while to smile at the memory he’s sharing with me

 

“I hated it” He admitted, his eyes now glued on the rink we left minutes ago “Because who wouldn’t? You’re out there in the cold, freezing underneath your 2 layered winter clothes making it more uncomfortable to balance in your ice skates. One time she asked to go with her again, I threw a tantrum that I wouldn’t if we’re not skating indoor so she brought me to a massive ice rink. There are thrice as the people skating outdoors that I almost feel claustrophobic. I must say, only then I understood why she prefers outdoors because it’s more magical to have a real snow fall over you outside than the artificial ones inside the rink”

 

I don’t know why he’s suddenly saying these things to me. Not that I do not care less of what he says but it is so unusual to say something like this to a person you barely talk to, more so to someone you just met not over a month ago.

 

“So why did we skated here in an artificial one?” I ask innocently

 

He looked at me sternly before laughing out loud “Silly. It’s not even winter here yet. It’s no fun to skate outside when it’s not snowing”

 

“Oh… why I haven’t thought of that” I mumbled to myself but he didn’t miss it so we’re now both laughing at my foolishness.

 

“If you hated it why do you come and skate with her?”

 

“Because I know she loves it. I’m an only child so there’s no one she can force to go with her. My dad’s always at work. But you know even when I hated it; I also enjoyed skating with my mom”

 

“Does she still ask you to go with her?”

 

“No. Not anymore”

 

“Why? Do you hate it because it will embarrass you now?” I chuckled at the thought. It must be an adorable sight to see a lawyer holding his mom’s hand inside the skating rink

 

He faced me and gives the weakest smile “She’s gone now”

 

Donghae draw back his sight at the rink, staring blankly at the people inside. I immediately regret asking that question and laughing at it. I wish I knew better.

 

There’s pure sadness in his face he’s trying to smile away but fail miserably because I can see through how much he misses her. It must be tough to come back to where you have lots of memories with the person you lost forever and tell your story to someone in the same place where it reminds you so much of that person.

 

I may not know the depth of pain he’s going through to cope with that kind of loss but I have the slightest idea of how cruel and dark it is to live through it.

 

I lost my dad to a car accident when I was young, too young to remember every details and grief I can possibly feel. But I share the same pain as I can imagine with Donghae in that part of longing. To grow up with only fragmented memories of how he looks like, to only have vague recollection how it feels to be loved, cared and comforted by his embrace, and to only have him as a memory in your heart. It’s a hole inside of me I’m still trying to find how I can fill. It’s a part of me I can never mend and no words of comfort can ever heal.

 

My mom always tries to make up for the loss to Chaerin and me. I appreciate every effort she makes for us to never feel that emptiness within us, especially to Chaerin who never had any clear and concrete memory of him. But even with those, it cannot simply fill in one’s presence we almost never felt.

 

I studied his woebegone face from the side, wondering how he’s made it – tell it to someone so calmly without breaking down in an ocean mess. How many times did it take him before being able to handle it so well like this? Because I’ve been trying to do that for years and I still haven’t made my emotions so stable to share it to anyone even my friends.

 

I can only wish to comfort him in this kind of situation but I cannot do that when I, myself is in need of the same comfort I am yet to find. I cannot give what I do not have.

 

After a long period of silence surrounding us, Donghae stood in zest with the genuineness in his smile came back the same one he had when we were skating a while ago “Let’s go?”

 

Seriously, how did he do it?

 

“Do you have something else to do here?” he asked. We began walking away from the skating rink

 

“Nothing, I guess. How about you?”

 

Donghae placed both of his hands in his pocket and bob his head slightly sideward, thinking of something “Ah, I remember I went to the mall today to get myself a necktie that will match the suit I’m going to wear for the event I’m attending tonight.”

 

“Tonight?!” I felt the panic in me more than he did. He has an event to attend tonight and he had the time to go for ice skating? He’s as odd as Bom!

 

 “Yeah, 8 PM” he lazily check his watch, so do I

 

“It’s already 8:15!” I swear I didn’t mean to raise my voice but he’s late because we ice skated

 

“It’s fine. I’m sure most of the guests are running late too. You know, business people. They never make it on time unless it’s a deal they need to secure.”

 

“Jeez, we wasted so much time at the rink” I said

 

 “You can’t call it a waste of time if you enjoyed it” he said while scrolling through his phone before lifting his look to me “Hey, can you help me pick which tie can go best with this suit?”

 

I have no idea where we can buy neckties so we spent a good amount of time looking for a store to pick one. I feel like I’ve put under so much pressure that I couldn’t think straight but only to help Donghae find a good necktie for his suit. I hate being rushed like this because always make more mistakes when I’m in a haste and I cannot afford to pick a wrong tie that will go well with his look when he will be meeting business people.

When we found what we both think will go well in his get up, Donghae offered to drop me home because it’s late. I can only look at him, dumbfounded when he told me that. He’s an hour late already and he’s thinking of driving me home? He’s just like his cousin. Unbelievable!

 

 

 

 

 

When I got home, I saw Youngbae in our living room sitting comfortably in our couch watching the television munching with some snacks in his hand. I forcefully carried myself towards where the couch is while every step is like a punch in my starting to sore muscles.

 

“Dara! You’re here! You only got home from meeting Donghae-ssi?” As much as I would want to snap at him for being so loud that my mom might hear that name again and start roasting me, I tried to dodge it

 

“Why are you here so late?” I lazily approach the couch where he is sitting to take a load off but I had to stop for a moment to look at him first in scrutiny “And in a very… homely appearance”  

 

“I came about 2 hours ago! I am not late. You are.” He stretch his arm to get hold of the remote placed on top of the table near him to lower down the volume of the television “Hey, Jiyong is in Korea and he’s inviting us for dinner the day after tomorrow and maybe get some drinks after. Are you coming?”

 

“I’m not sure. Who else is coming?” hesitation is apparent in my voice.

 

I’ve been profusely disregarding most of my friends, except Bom and Youngbae, who happen to know about me and Seunghyun in thoughts that by deliberately avoiding them, it will be easier for me to forget everything that has happened. I’ve been so stubborn that I neglected so many people that it has caused me more damage than good. But Jiyong is a childhood friend like Bom and Youngbae too. It’s just that for some reason, I lost contact with him for a little while.

“You don’t have to worry about anyone coming. It’s only the four of us – me, Jiyong, Bom and you”

 

“I guess I’ll go then” I know Youngbae will not leave me alone until he made me agree to go with them. So I might as well save myself some headache because that is the least thing I need right now.

 

“For real?” My answer made him jump a little in his seat “There’s no turning back okay! Wait I’ll give a word to Jiyong and Bommie”

 

Youngbae immediately pulled his phone from his pocket and started typing on it. He’s probably giving Jiyong a heads up that I agreed coming with them.

 

Snatching from the bucket of popcorn Youngbae is eating, I asked in interest “What made jiyong come back to korea so soon? Wasn’t he supposed to go to some kind of exclusive fashion school that Bommie always dream about?”

 

“That’s the plan but I think some things didn’t go as smoothly as what he expected” He said while typing typing on his phone “He didn’t say that much when he called me to ask us for dinner but that’s my observation. He’s so easy to read just like you”

 

“Maybe he’s having a hard time adjusting there. He needs a smack to get his head back in the game.” I’m slowly drifting to sleep, too tired from the skating

 

“I know right” Youngbae said. I’m not sure if he’s agreeing with what I said or what he’s reading on his phone

 

“Ahh… my freaki-“

 

“YAH!!!!” he instantly stood up as he threw his phone on the couch

 

The somnolence devouring me vanishes when he shouted “Ya! Why are you yelling!”

 

“Because you were talking to me, I replied to Jiyong ‘I know right’ when he’s teasing me about something! Aish” he picked up his phone and started typing again

 

“You’re so loud! You’re going to wake up an unwanted monster.” I hissed in annoyance.

 

“Why are you so sensitive, noona? Are girls normally like this at this time of the day?” he checks the time at his wristwatch

 

“I’m just tired and you’re here pissing me off”

 

“I’m not even doing anything! Why are you so tired? Aren’t you with Donghae-ssi this afternoon?” Youngbae scoop up his legs to the couch and embraces the pillow beside him to turn his body facing where I’m sitting

 

“Yeah. I met up with him to buy him a meal for helping me with the cases”

 

“Then why do you look so burnout as if you ran a hundred laps under the summer heat?”

 

“You have no idea. He taught me how to ice skate that is why I got home with sore joints, limping” I lightly punch the muscles in my right leg secretly hoping that the pain will go away when I hit it.

 

Youngbae choked on the popcorn he is eating so he immediately rushes towards the kitchen. I reached for the popcorn to get some for myself. Not too long after that, he came back to the couch with a glass of water in his hand.

 

“You ice skated today?” He said in a loud, surprised voice

 

“Hey! I told you to be quiet! You’re going to wake up mom and Chaerin. Also, why are still here? Aren’t you tired? Go home now”

 

“Chaerin said she’s going to pull an all-nighter tonight to finish her project”

 

“How did you know? Well, in that case you’re going to wake up mm. You wouldn’t want that to happen”

 

“Right because she’s go- hey! Why are you diverting this conversation to the least interesting topic? You came home late and you ice skated?” He repeated again

 

“I often come home late because of school works and such. Why are you making it sound like a big deal?”

 

“It is a big deal because you tried something you totally hate! And you went home after a long day not because of school work”

 

“What can I do, I cannot say no to someone who helped me from saving me to a year worth of stress”

 

“We always help you but you don’t do the same thing for us. Are you that close to Donghae ssi now? Hey, be careful you might end up liking him! You wouldn’t want Bom to be your family. You’ve already had a handful of her lunacy having her as a friend” Youngbae with a teasing smirk laughs at what he just said. He grabs the remote near him, changing the channel of the television

 

“You’re insane” I got up from my seat, struggling with my bones crunching from being wornout “Make sure you lock the door when you leave. I’m going upstairs and sleep or I’ll die from exhaustion”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

We are now dining in a rooftop restaurant that flaunts the marvelous Seoul skyline making feel on top of the world. Everything is modern from its interior design to its equipment certainly matching the lavish banquet prepared for diners. The food, however, haven’t lost the traditional touch of authentic Korean food served to us.We decided to go for a Korean cuisine near the bar we will later go to for dinner because Jiyong said he missed Korean food so much.

 

Bom picked me from home before we head straight here at the restaurant. I’m glad she did because I almost forgot that we’re meeting Jiyong today.

 

“Suddenly everything back there doesn’t feel right as if I don’t truly belong where and what I wanted to be” Jiyong

 

“Is it not a temporary home sickness clouding up your mood?” I ask

 

“I doubt. You know I practically lived in airplanes most of my life. Travelling back and forth wherever my parents usually are, you know. But recently I feel lost and empty. Like there’s a thread pulling me back. Holding me from doing what I had plan ever since”

 

Jiyong has spent most of his life traveling from one country to another to be with his parents who constantly needed to go elsewhere because of the nature of their work. For him and his family, there was never a house they can ever call home. I think that is how Jiyong developed his socializing skills and love for art – being exposed to different cultures varying from one country to another. Ever since, he had his eyes on anything that relates to designing but more specifically to fashion. While it requires too much creativity and artistry, it never impale his skills to continuously come up with sophisticated and future forward styles as if such skills naturally flows in his genes

 

When Bom, Youngbae and I first met Jiyong during middle school, he’d always put a great vibe between us something that would make you forget the curfews you’ve been warned about back home. So when that time came when they had to move overseas again because his dad got reappointed in his job, Jiyong could only try his best to keep in touch with us.

 

Not once have we heard him questioning his parents’ work, why do they have to move everytime when his dad could just stay in one place or when they could just let him stay for good in Korea. Instead, he’s been so supportive of his parents who do the same for him. That is why when his dad decided to finally settle down in Korea and her mom opened a business of her own, he pursued taking a degree in fashion in Paris.

 

Even before jiyong could formally make his way to start his career in fashion, a quite number of people already recognized his eyes for styling. He has also managed to belong in a circle of friends of known designers who tremendously played a vital role in honing his raw talent that is yet to be polished. He took part in different fashion shows under big names inside that industry enough to make Bom quiver in envy and admiration.

 

Within those times he never thought of bringing his interest to an extreme level of seriousness, a lot of people have already kept an eye for his raw talent.

 

Hearing him talk about disinterest and fashion in a sentence from Jiyong himself is nothing but pure shock and ambiguity.

 

But everything seems to change at one point just like when Jiyong used to be the fluffiest dongsaeng in our group to a chick magnet guy in the university campus. To some extent, his hunger to polish his artistry has caused him to become someone we thought he would never be

 

“That’s because you spend so much time doing one night stands your body so used to it anymore that it has lost all the thrills it might have in store so it’s teaching you your lesson by letting you taste your own medicine” Bom said jokingly but in a matter of fact tone

 

Jiyong got up on his feet in protest “Noona!”

 

“How did you know about that, Bommie?” Youngbae asked in curiousity

 

“That’s what I hear from most of the girls here in campus when he was still here! Don’t blame me. I don’t intend to eavesdrop in their conversation but the girls are so loud at comfort rooms” She explained

 

“No way! Are you saying they’re publicly talking about him? And WHAT they did?” I gasp, turning my attention to Jiyong as I emphasized the word what to make him get better what I meant by it

 

“Yo dude that’s wild”

 

“Why did you not rebuke them when they were talking about Jiyong like that?” I shake my head in disbelief. Are there really people out there talking about someone like that in an open area? Unbelievable!

 

“I would want to but I was doing my business in the toilet! It will be weird if I shouted at them while I was inside the cubicle. They will think I am some crazy, homeless woman who got into the comfort room”

 

“Yuck! You poop at our university’s comfort room?” Youngbae almost had this disgusting look in his face upon hearing those words from Bom.

 

“Duh! Where else do you want me to release it? At the university parking lot? And don’t you do the same? I can’t be the only one here!!” She looked at us straight in the eyes as if threatening us just to say yes.

 

Are we really talking about poop in the middle of our dinner in this five-star restaurant with a live orchestra playing in the background as our friend sentimentally shares his worries with us?

 

Why are my friends like this

 

 

Jiyong did not bat at our remarks. He remained composed and silent “I’m trying to be serious here, okay? I even came all the way from France in thought that you can help me. Also, you don’t have to make it sound like I’m some kind of a maniac because I am not”

 

“That’s going to be quiet difficult, Jiyong. Tell us, what do you think might have changed since you moved and when did you think that emptiness started? It can’t be because you felt alone because you do not know anyone from there or suffering from homesickness. You do have a lot of friends there” Youngbae started the shift in the mood

 

“You can have a lot of friends but still feel lonely and empty too, Youngbae.” I said, not looking at them.

 

I know how it feels to have everyone around you supports you in all your endeavors. To have such an amount of consolation and encouragement when you think you least deserve them can turn that gratitude in your heart into a heavy weight of feeling in debt and being a burden for them when you were at your weakest point. There are times when you start feeling like a bum. You only live because you felt that’s the only way to repay them for their continuous support on you and until the last moment you wouldn’t want to disappoint them from believing in you.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The intense rhythmic sound of the loud bass coming from the electronic type of music that vibrates through the walls of this bar with the blinding dancing lights that illuminates the dim-lighted packed room reminds me of why I rarely go to bars. Wherever you try to go inside, you’ll instantly bump into anyone with their sweaty arms touch your skin.

 

I rest my coat in the lounge we sit. While I was chilling in cold at the restaurant we went into earlier, now we’re steaming in sultry. It must be the amount of people flocking inside this compressed area.

 

(Dara's look that night)

Bom and Youngbae excused themselves to ‘get a drink’ for us but moments later they never came back and the next thing we saw they are in their own little world, having fun in the dance floor with other people who are as lost as them.

 

I’m not familiar with the drinks that are often served in places like this so I let Jiyong ordered for both of us. I hope he didn’t forget that I’m a light drinker and ordered a flavored juice instead for me to drink.

 

“So noona, how have you been?” Jiyong asked in a slightly louder voice.

 

“Just the same. I guess” I shouted back

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t come that day. I would have looked for him to beat his for hurting you” Jiyong pouted in his most adorable look

 

“Silly. You can’t do that because I don’t allow anyone to even lay a finger on him. If that happens they’re gonna need to face me first and if they want to challenge me in a fight Bom won’t allow me to go in without involving herself. So does Youngbae who doesn’t want to see his noonas gone all worked up because of somebody. In short, you have to go through the three of us to do that” I giggle

 

“Nah, this time around they will be the one gladly offering his already beat up face should they have seen Seunghyun that day” We laugh it off. It is nice to have someone to talk to about Seunghyun and making fun of what happened. Among my friends, Jiyong became closest to him to the point you will think they knew each other longer than us.

“You really have no idea where he went?”

 

Staring at the glasses of alcohol in front of me, contemplating if I would drink tonight, I shook my head in response

 

“He must have said something out of this world to you when you were together that can explain his disappearance. You know he’s good at saying something with double meaning”

 

“I don’t know anymore, Jiyong. I tried so hard to think of everything but nothing makes sense. It’s hard that sometimes I just want to let everything go and stop being a stuck up. I know he has his reasons whatever that might be but was it worth it to give up what’s been planned for months for something that occurred all of a sudden? What’s so important that he left like that making me look dumb in front of everyone? Can’t that matter wait even for an hour that he needs to ditch me? He could’ve shared what’s boggling his mind but he chose to keep it to himself and be a jerk. Far from being hurt, I was more humiliated by what he has done”

 

“But what if he comes back? Will you love him the same?”

 

“He won’t comeback” I tried to swallow hard the words I said hoping my system will learn to accept what’s been already done “He can’t have too much guts to face me after bailing me on our wedding day, can he?”

 

“What makes you think he won’t?”

 

“I know him Jiyong. That’s why it’s stupid to expect he would because I know he won’t” I drink the shot I’m holding for a while now. It leaves a stinging aftermath in my throat

 

“Maybe he won’t, okay. What if you see him somewhere someday? The world isn’t big for two people who belong in the same circle to never meet again”

 

“Why are you making me stress out for something that is not even going to happen”

 

“It will, Dara. Soon enough. And when that time comes, I don’t want you to be crying like you did months ago. Coping. That is why I am asking you so you could think of this over and over again and prepare yourself. What, when you see him, are you going to slap him? Hug him? Beg for his explanation? What if you see him with someone by then?”

 

The thought of seeing him in someone else’s arms is a straight punch in the gut. How will that supposed to make me feel? Better? Relieved? Should I feel okay because he realized that he didn’t found his happiness with me he found it from someone else?

 

“Seeing how rigid you reacted by mere questions it is safe to assume that your love for him didn’t changed at all” I catch Jiyong smirk before pulling his glass near his lips. I hate it

 

“My love for him isn’t in question here. Trust me, even when the sky falls down and the north becomes south, it will never change”

 

“Even when he left you without a word like that?”

 

“I guess that’s just how it works” without thinking, I drink straight the alcopops standing in front of me.

 

I almost never drink because I hate how sick and nauseous it make me feel the next morning. Compare to other people, though, I am not gifted with a decent tolerance when it comes to alcohol. You can easily knock me with half a glass of whiskey.

 

“So let’s say I know where Seunghyun is and I know why he did that, what will you do?”

 

Feeling offended and betrayed by his words, I look at Jiyong in full offense

 

“You know where he is?” I made it sound more of an accuse than a question

 

“I did not said that but there’s always a way to find that out. Why didn’t you look for him anyway?”

 

 “Duh” I rolled my eyes at the question which made Jiyong raised an eyebrow at me “Do you really think we did not tried?”

 

“You tried?” He took another glass of alcohol in his mouth “You mean looking for him at his apartment, messaging or calling him, asking through his other friends etc type of searching? Is that it? No other extensive way of looking for him? Oh c’mon! You’re capable of doing more than that, Dara. Your mom is a judge! A simple order from her to her constituents can end every speculations you try to knock down by yourself. Not to mention that amount of bucket of tears you would have been saved”

 

“Look, we really tried everything here, Jiyong. I’m desperate enough not to try every possible way to find him. As for my mom’s involvement, do I really need to resort to that kind of way to find him?“

 

“Did you really try everything, Dara? Because if not, you’re making yourself appear too hypocrite using the victim card here”

 

“YAH! KWON JIYONG!”I cannot hold it anymore. I snapped hard at the accusation “How dare you say that to me? You know nothing! Were you even here that day? You were not, right? So why are you trying to turn the table and put the same knife that cut through my pulse?”

 

Youngbae came rushing to the table when I raised my voice at Jiyong. I saw Bom make her way through the crowd too. My shout called in quite a crowd to have a some people near out table to look for us, curious of what’s happening.

 

Why is Jiyong suddenly turning against me and overturn the blaming game on me? Is this how everyone thinks of me?

 

“I am not accusing you! What the hell? I’m trying to show you what it might look like to some other people-“ he started defending himself

 

“The damn I give to what they think! Shut up. Just shut up already” I spot the untouched tequila on the table and drink it in a shot. Jiyong is making me fume in anger. I could set this entire floor in fire

 

“I’m only trying to-“

 

“Did you called us over with the intention to pry on me and piss the of me? I know you grew fond of him because you have a lot things and common so you two immediately clicked and became best buds but you don’t have to disrespect me like that just because you understand his side. You don’t have to accuse me that I didn’t do everything to find him because I did. I did everything Jiyong. That is why I’m starting to lose my faith that I will see him again”

 

Bom is now standing beside me, unsure if she will hold me or not. Youngbae, on the other hand, has already his hand on Jiyong trying to pull him outside so we would stop making any scene here.

 

“Well maybe you did. But not enough” with that, Jiyong took his one last shot from his glass before snatching his jacket resting on the couch’s back rest

 

Since when did that brat became like a puss and outrage me to core? I know he’s gone wild throughout the years but he never disrespected me like that. How can he easily inculpate me for when he knows nothing at all? Even when he does, that doesn’t give him the right to do that in front of my face. In front of everyone!

 

Bom pull me into a hug calming me from the indignation brought upon by Jiyong. Youngbae tried to catch and walk after where Jiyong went off.

 

“Dara, let’s just go home. I’ll drive you” Bom said

 

“No. We’re staying and we’re drinking!” I stretch my arm to take a grasp of whiskey bottle and poured the very last liquid and rink it uninterrupted. When I already emptied it, I raised my glass to call for the bartender for another set of drinks. “2 glasses of Martini Blue and Tequila” (A/N: Make some noise DPR Live fans for that reference. Wooo lol)

 

“2 glasses of Martini and Tequila?!!!?! Have you gone insane, Dara?” Bom scolded me upon hearing what I ordered

 

 The last thing I need right now is a mom babying me to stop drinking. I can handle myself! I’m a grown up now. If some bastard can break my heart and I can still get up every morning perfectly so can I with a damn few shots!

 

When the bartender hands down everything I ordered, Bom couldn’t do anything when I already got hold of the tequila and lemon

 

“Piss of Bom. Let me have some fun tonight. Please pass the salt over there” I pointed to her the saucer plate in front of her

 

“I would let you but you’re going to get yourself killed with those drinks! You’re not even a heavy drinker” Even when my head started to spin like a wicked board spinner I can see Bom’s eyes fuming mad crazy

 

“Then better! No difference when mom finds out I’m drinking like a madman tonight”

 

“Sure she would and I hope she beat your til you can no longer walk for months” She tried to clutch at the glass I’m about to drink “That’s why stop!”

 

I clumsily dodge her hand to the side making some of the alcohol spill on my dress but I didn’t mind “Let me have some fun Bommie. Where is the salt?” I repeated asking her. I remember having the salt in the table in front of her

 

“Ugh! Do whatever you want. Just so you know, I won’t drag your drunk out of this bar, Dara” She finally gave in and pass the salt

 

 

 

 

 

 

I woke up to a familiar room I haven’t seen for a long time. I tried to still my spinning vision to take a more detailed look on the room making sure I have not barged in to a stranger’s room.

 

Freaking tequila it will really kill ya.

 

A massive chandelier is hanging on the ceiling directly at the same direction where the bed is. The pale gold-skinned walls are embroidered with classic moldings carved so flawlessly emphasizing the simplicity of its beauty. On my right, there are two comfy chairs that can hold two people each and beyond that is a window half covered by a plum and gold curtains allowing some of the sun rays lighten the room. I can’t be wrong about this. I’m at Bommie’s room

 

How did I end up sleeping here? I thought she’s going to take me home last night.

 

I cup the sides of the bed hoping I could find my phone beside me but it isn’t there. I tried to move at the edge of the bed carefully getting up from it without making myself pass out from dizziness. I swear I am not drinking again. I couldn’t even remember why I drink so much that I’m feeling awfully sick right now. I need to find Bom to help me recall the events of last night.

 

The last thing I can get out from my post-drunken state is the image of me and Jiyong arguing. That jerk! Remembering how he falsely blamed me is still hitting me on the nerves. I hope not see him soon enough while I’m still determined to choke him to death.

 

I got up and walk slowly downstairs, expecting to see Bom sitting in the living room or eating in the dining room. I pass through the grandeur of their living room that is not as far as the style of Bom’s room – royal-like set up with enormous chandeliers dangling and windows letting you have a sight of their well-maintained garden. No one’s in the living room so I go to the kitchen. I knew I would find Bom there. And my hunch was right. In her tiara turban keeping her bangs away from her face, Bom is sipping on her tea cup as she scrolls through her tablet.

 

“Dara! You’re up!” she announced when she finally noticed my appearance

 

I took a seat in front where Bom is having a breakfast. I grab a toast and sausage from the table before getting up to make myself a tea. I really need that one right now.

 

“Bom where are your tea cu- are those all yours?!” Surprised to see two plates of unfinished breakfast in front of her and the other beside her

 

“What?” She look at me weirdly before scrolling back on her tablet “What are you saying?”

 

I pointed the other plate beside her, with foods half-eaten “That. You’re eating all those as your breakfast?”

 

She turned her head to where I’m pointing. When she realized what I was saying she shakes her head “Crazy! Are you not fully awake yet? Do you think I can finish these all by myself? That is Donghae’s ”  

 

Donghae?

 

Right. I forgot he’s living in this house too. But did he just left with that unfinished food? That’s rude. You should not let any food go into waste. Is he not aware how many children are starving and that they barely get a proper meal?

 

Still looking at the leftover food, Bom called me “What were you asking me earlier again?” I saw her tap the side of her tablet placing in on the table

 

“Ah, I’m asking where your tea cups are because I need to drink something to let this headache go away” I opened the drawer cabinets in their kitchen, searching for cups

 

“That won’t make your hangover go away. Sit, Donghae left to check the soup I asked him to cook for your hangover.” She started eating again

 

“You made him cook?” I’m not sure if I’m surprised at the fact that he can cook or at the part that Bm made his lawyer cousin do something for her again. Poor guy.

 

“Yeah don’t worry, he can cook decent. Anyway, seriously! You crazy woman what did Kwon told you that you drink so much like that?” Bom growled in frustration and my blood starts to boil.

 

“Don’t mention it to ruin my day. If I see him I’m going to kick him in the groin” When I already have my tea prepared, I came back to my seat and pick the bread from my plate “Ah my head hurts”

 

“Of course it will. You had 2 shots of tequila last night after you asked Jiyong to leave. Why did you ordered another Martini when you know you can’t handle it so well? Aish this ahjumma”

 

“Ah that must be so. I can’t remember that much after I shouted at him and told him to leave”

 

“Don’t ever drink again! Especially by yourself. You cause a lot of mess!!!!” There is no such thing as ‘too early to bark at someone’ for Bom I guess

 

I heard footsteps coming from the other side where the dirty kitchen is. I saw Donghae in his usual formal button down shirt, now a faded blue styled one with his sleeves rolled up to his elbow, carrying a soup bowl.

 

Bom also saw him that made her clap in excitement when she set her eyes at the food cooked by Donghae “It’s finally done!”

 

I swear I can see her eyes sparkle in happiness

 

“What, did I create a scene at the bar? Anyway how did I end up sleeping here?” When Donghae placed the soup on the table, Bom, without delay, served herself a soup.

 

“You said I can’t drop you home at that state or your mom will freak out so I brought you here. And to answer your first question, no you did not create a scene at the bar. Thankfully” after she explained those she took a spoonful of the warm soup in front of her. Must be delicious. The aroma of it is making my stomach growl in hunger

 

Donghae sat on his chair and began eating from his plate again. Shame rushes inside me how I judged him earlier in thought that he didn’t finished his food when he’s at the kitchen cooking soup to cure my hangover. How many times have he tried to clean after my mess. Seriously. I hope he does not think I’m usually this inconvenient. Not when soon enough we’ll be colleagues in the legal field.

 

“That’s a relief!” I can now breathe in peacefully.

 

 Bom snorted “But you vomited all over him when he carried you to the car” she point at Donghae who is now fixing his wristwatch

 

I used all the energy I have to hold on to the food I’m chewing to not spit it on Bom for what she had said “Mwo?!”

 

I roll my gaze from Bom to Donghae without moving my head. I smiled at him awkwardly when he flashed a smile

 

“You said you can’t remember much right? Then let me lay down everything that has happened last night so it will traumatize you that you will never, ever, think of holding a glass of alcohol in your lifetime again.” Bom laughed so loud. Obviously enjoying teasing me for my stupidity

 

When Bom was telling me everything that I have done last night – drunk cussing at Jiyong, her and Youngbae, shouting and singing so loudly that you would thought I’m competing with the loud music in the bar, drinking a glass or Martini after gulping two shots of tequila to dancing so crazily at the dance floor, lying down on the couch back at the bar.

 

Donghae excused himself to go upstairs. I’m glad he did while Bom was in the middle of her talk because I can’t afford to have my reputation go down the drain with someone else hearing it.

 

I thought there can’t be anyone that will be crazier than Bom but maybe that’s because I didn’t completely know myself.

 

Bom continued sharing every humiliating moment I’ve done last night. Hearing them make me sicker 10x than I already am. I’m glad I’m already passed out when they drag me out of the bar. Otherwise, I have witness my very own walk of shame.

 

Alcohol is really your worst enemy.

 

“Also, I want you to not forget the very mortifying drunk act you did. Hold on to your seat because you will need a support to process what I’m going to say.” Bom smirked. I HATE IT WHEN SHE DOES THAT! I will have my moment to get back on her too one of these days. Huh.

 

“Let’s start off by telling you that you were practically begging Donghae to bring Seunghyun back while hugging him tight like a child throwing tantrums at her mom by clinging on her until she got what she’s asking. I can’t decide whether you’re that desperate to be with Seunghyun again or if you’ve gotten so much closer to Donghae” Then she looked up at the ceiling as if trying to decipher what might be the case. While I, on the other hand, paralyzed in my seat hearing such story. Did that really happened?

 

Bom continued “Anyway back to the story. Then when I asked him to lay you in my bed after I clean your mess and changing your drenched dress, you asked him to sleep beside you because you can’t sleep without hugging anything”

 

I promptly stood in my seat upon hearing such shocking words. I can’t remember much after the heated discussion I had with Jiyong last night. This is the first time I drank so much to the point that I did all sorts of crazy stuffs.

 

“I DID THAT??????????” I think I screamed on top of my lungs

 

“Duh”

 

Why do people still drink when they lose all sanity they have after a number of shots? It tastes wicked and it will leave a stinging line in your throat. Some also say, if you want to forget then drink your heart out. I did the same but why, in my case, it’s only giving me moments I do not want to remember. Heck, I don’t even want to believe I did all of these.

 

As if on cue, I saw Donghae walking down from the stairs trying to button his sleeve with his suit on his arm. Mixed of emotions I cannot find words to explain the rumble inside of my chest. In such a short period, I made this respectable lawyer in front of me handle my personal problems with Seunghyun, robbed him a huge part of his time by making him do part of the cases assigned to me, go in late to a business event because he taught me how to skate and now I disgustingly threw up on him and myself at him when all he just wanted help.

 

“OMO! DONGHAE-SSI I’M REALLY REALLY REALLY SORRY THAT YOU HAD TO GO THROUGH THAT BECAUSE OF ME. I HOPE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT TOLERANCE TO DRINKS AREN’T THAT GOOD HENCE MY BEHAVIOR WHEN I’M UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL. I WAS JUST UPSET LAST NIGHT BECAUSE THAT JIYONG IS MESSING WITH ME AND HE KEPT TALKING ABOUT SEUNGHYUN SO I SNAPPED. I DIDN’T MEAN TO THROW UP ON YOU AND TO UHH…. UHM YOU KNOW, I DON’T KNOW WHY I SAID THAT MAYBE BECAUSE UH, I DON’T KNOW EITHER? BUT THAT’S HOW PEOPLE USUALLY BEHAVE WHEN THEY’RE DRUNK RIGHT? THEY SPIT BUNCH OF NONSENSE”

 

Surprised by my sudden outburst, it took a while before Donghae regained from the shock. I think I’m going to cry now. I brought my hands on my face to bury my face in shame.

 

I felt warmth from the hand caressing my arm in comfort. It’s soothing and encouraging. I lifted my face and I no longer see Donghae in front of me.

 

Instead, I found him beside me with his hand on shoulder

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

------

Hello! I'm sorry for the long wait for this update but I accidentally deleted the previous work I had for this chapter so I had to brainstorm again on what I should write because I cannot remember what I wrote previously.

Also if you have noticed, I attached some pictures in this update to give you a better representation of what they are wearing or how a particular set up looks like. If you want me to keep attaching pictures please say so I will know if I'm going to insert more in the next update. 

Happy holidays <3 I hope our 2018 be filled with real DaraHae interaction!