Chapter Thirty Two

He Wouldn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook felt like he was going to throw up and for once this wasn’t down to morning sickness. No, it was down to a mix of excitement and nerves. Excitement because it wouldn’t be long until he got to find out the gender of his baby and nerves because for him to do that he’d have to get out of the car. And he really didn’t want to. As much as their manager had tried to reassure him that it was going to be okay, that they’d sent people ahead to make sure there were no journalists or photographers lurking, that they’d planned the route to the hospital meticulously, weaving and backtracking to throw off anyone who might have followed them from the dorm, he couldn’t help feeling apprehensive. He’d thought they’d been careful last time too and look how that had turned out. His baby had become worldwide news before he could even tell their father they existed.

And yes, while this had resulted in some drama at the time luckily no lasting damage had been done. This was evidenced by the fact that Taehyung was sitting next to him right now radiating anxious excitement, and unlike the anxious excitement Jungkook was feeling it seemed to be the good kind. The kind that had him unable to sit still or be quiet. He hadn’t shut up the whole journey there, talking about how much he was looking forward to seeing the baby for real, how much he needed another scan picture (his was looking really dogeared from all the times he’d taken it in and out of his pocket), how he  didn’t care if they were having a boy or a girl it would still be cool to find out,  how once they knew they could start buying more clothes and talking about names. And Jungkook had been trying his best to show interest, nodding along and murmuring generic positive words in response.

But now they’d stopped the car Taehyung seemed to have picked up on the fact that Jungkook wasn’t feeling as upbeat about things as he was. “Hey,” he said, a hand going to grip the sleeve of his friend’s sweatshirt, the sweatshirt he was wearing despite the fact it was June and the weather was warming up in an attempt to hide the fact he was pregnant “you okay?” he asked.

“I’m fine.” Jungkook told him, not wanting to dampen his enthusiasm “Just tired.”

Taehyung was quick to disagree. “You’re not fine. You’ve been messing with that bracelet on your wrist the whole way here. You’re nervous. And it isn’t the good kind of nervous, is it?”

Jungkook, realising that he’d been spinning the bracelet Jimin had bought him around on his wrist even as Taehyung had  pointed it out dropped his hands to his knees with a huff, “Okay, I’m a little nervous,” he admitted,  "It is the good kind of nerves though, I promise. I just really want to see the baby again, that’s all.”

Taehyung wasn’t fooled and knowing Jungkook as well as he did, it didn’t take him long to work out what was really wrong. “I know you do,” he assured him, “But I’m not stupid. I know that’s not all it is. You don’t want to go out there, do you? And it’s for the same reason that you didn’t want to come with us the other day. You don’t want us to be spotted and end up in the news again. But it’s fine.  We’ve been really careful. There’s someone out there right now making sure the coast is clear. And we’ve got the hospital’s security team on board too. Once they’re done checking the place over we’ll be safe to go in, there’s no need to worry.”

And seeing no point in continuing to argue when Taehyung had hit the nail on the head, Jungkook sighed, “I know… it’s just… the media can be really persistent. And sneaky… what if there someone did manage to follow us and no one noticed?” He asked with a frown. He didn’t think he could deal with that.

Taehyung seemed far less concerned, offering a shrug in response. “So what if they did?” he asked. “Everyone already knows you’re pregnant. What else can they possibly have to say?”

Jungkook got where Taehyung was coming from. The fact he was pregnant was already becoming old news. If more pictures were released of him entering or leaving the hospital it might bring it back into the public consciousness again for a while, but it wasn’t going to cause the same uproar it had last time. But that wasn’t it, that wasn’t what had him feeling shaky and sick to his stomach. “I’m not worried about that.” He said, not sure how to explain it. “People can say whatever they want about me, I don’t care. I’m used to it. But if they’re taking pictures of me, then they’re taking pictures of the baby too, aren’t they?” he reasoned. “That’s what I don’t like the thought of. When I chose this career I knew that’s what I signed up for, when I step out the house I expect that kind of attention. But the baby didn’t ask for that, did they? And I know that sounds stupid, if someone out there starts taking pictures she isn’t going to know. And I know that technically there isn’t any baby yet for people to see, but now I’m showing, it kind of feels like there is. And I don’t want people l don’t know looking at her and judging her.”

“It doesn’t sound stupid.” Taehyung told him, expression softening.  “Knowing people out there might be thinking not so nice thoughts about our son or daughter before they’re even born, well it's something I try not to think about. I’ve decided it doesn’t merit my attention. Getting angry about it, or letting it worry me, that just gives those people validation doesn’t it? And they don’t deserve any validation. ”

“I know that,” Jungkook admitted, “But I still don’t like it.”

“I know, but I promise…” Taheyung said, taking Jungkook’s hand in a bid to make him feel better, “… it’s going to be fine. Management are on top of this. We’re going to get a call through in a second telling us it’s safe to go inside. And once we get in there and they bring the baby up on the screen that’s all you’ll be able to focus on and you’ll forget all about how scared you were.”

“But what about…”

“No buts.” Taehyung told him, not letting him finish. “That’s what’s going to happen. And I know that even if today goes well that doesn’t make the future any less scary. Today’s just one day and even if people do forget about us for a while, even if we manage to keep you out of the public eye for the time being, well when the baby’s born that’s going to be news and people will be talking crap all over again. But people are going to judge us no matter what, it’s human nature. As long as we keep looking after each other and we let the baby know that we love them, what does that matter?”

Taehyung was right. Of course he was. That’s what children needed the most, wasn’t it? They needed to feel loved. And there was going to have plenty of people they could rely on to help make that a reality. So many people cared about the baby already, from their families to the members to the staff at the company even. They had a whole support network there. So yes, it going to be difficult, keeping the baby out of the spotlight and giving them a normal upbringing, but all they could do was their best. And what was normal anyway? It was what you w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter