Chapter Seventeen

He Wouldn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Yoongi had watched Jin go into Jungkook’s room he’d seemed fine. He’d looked a little tired maybe but that was all. So when he walked out again ten minutes later, eyes downcast and a frown on his face it had come as a surprise.

But then it had been a while since Jin had really been himself Yoongi thought as he listened to him opening and closing cupboards. He’d thought it was the stress of looking out for Jungkook coupled with the upset of Namjoon not talking to him that had been the problem. But Namjoon had now apologised and the company was dealing with Jungkook’s situation relatively well. Jin should be feeling better about things, he should be getting back to his usual cheerful self. But he wasn’t, he was becoming more quiet and reserved as time went on. It was strange and it was more than a little worrying.

He should talk to him Yoongi thought with a sigh. If it was the other way around and something was so clearly bothering him then Jin would be one of the first people to notice and one of the first people to ask him what was wrong so as his friend it was the least he could do. 

~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Jin was sitting at the kitchen table when he walked in, staring into space, his hands wrapped around a still full mug of what Yoongi was assuming was coffee. When he took the seat opposite and gave a ‘hey’ of greeting, Jin murmured ‘hey’ in return but rather than look him in the eye his gaze dropped to the table.

“What did Jungkook want to talk to you about?” Yoongi asked, not knowing where to start. If he came right out and asked Jin what was wrong he had a feeling the older man would only brush him off, tell him it was nothing and he was imagining things.

And Jin’s eyes flickered to the door.

“You’re fine.” Yoongi assured him, assuming he was checking if it was safe to talk about Jungkook’s pregnancy out loud or not. “Hoseok and Namjoon are in the studio and Jimin and Taehyung went out to eat. Me, you and Jungkook, we’re the only one’s home.”

“It was nothing really.” Jin told him with a shrug, satisfied that they weren’t going to be overheard. “He has another ultrasound appointment soon and he wanted me to go with him, that’s all.”

The casual shrug and the lightness with which he’d said the words didn’t quite match up to the look in Jin’s eyes or the quite obviously forced smile that accompanied them. “Are you sure that’s all it was?” He asked.

Jin nodded, his attention going back to the coffee he was still holding in his hands.

“He didn’t say anything to upset you?” He asked next.

Jin shook his head. 

“It’s just you don’t seem very happy.” Yoongi said gently, wishing Jin would look at him. The way he was studying the contents of his coffee mug, expression unreadable was disconcerting. “I mean getting to see Jungkook’s baby on the screen in real time, that’s kind of exciting. So if that’s all you talked about why aren’t you all smiles right now?” It didn’t make sense.

“That’s all we talked about.” Jin stated, tone sharp. Sharper than he’d intended it to be apparently because he was immediately looking up at Yoongi, expression apologetic. “I’m just tired.” He explained, tone a little softer. “That’s all. He didn’t say anything to upset me, I promise. And even if he had I can look after myself.”

“I know you can.” Yoongi told him, holding his gaze. “But just because you can look after yourself that doesn’t mean you should have to. If there’s something bothering you I want to know, I want to help.”

For a long moment Jin just looked at him, expression thoughtful as if he was trying to figure him out if he meant what he was saying. And then mind seemingly made up he sighed. “I appreciate that,” he said, smiling another smile that didn’t quite meet his eyes, “But it’s not something you can fix. It’s not something anyone can fix.”

Jin had just as good as admitted that something had upset him. Yoongi hadn’t been expecting him to give in so quickly “Okay,” he said slowly, trying not to let his surprise show. Now Jin had opened up he didn’t want to risk saying something stupid only for him to clam up again, “fair enough. But if this was the other way around and I was keeping something to myself I know what you’d say. You’d say talking about it might help and you’d offer to listen.”

“I guess I would.” Jin agreed. “But this is different, if I tell you what’s been bothering me your opinion of me, it would change and I don’t want that.”

“It won’t.” Yoongi argued. “Whatever it is you can tell me, I won’t judge you, I promise.”

There was another long silence as Jin considered Yoongi’s words. “You mean that?” He said at last. “No judgement?”

“No judgement.” Yoongi confirmed with a nod.

But that wasn’t the only stipulation Jin had. “And no pity.” He told him. “I’m not telling you this so you’ll pity me, it’s so you’ll understand. You’ll understand that if I get quiet or if I don’t act the way people expect me to around Jungkook then it’s not because I’m not happy for him, there’s a reason.”

“Okay.” Yoongi agreed, curiosity mounting. “No pity, I promise.”

Taking a deep breath Jin opened his mouth as if he was about to tell him but then he seemed to have second thoughts, his mouth snapping shutting again as he shook his head. “No.” He said after a moment or two. “I shouldn’t. Like I said it’s nothing you can fix so why bother you with it if there’s nothing you can do about it?”

“Because if you don’t admit what’s bothering you I’m going to keep wondering.” Yoongi told him, trying not to let his exasperation show. “It’s going to drive me mad. So go on, just tell me.”

Jin’s gaze dropped to the table top again, his fingers curling around his coffee mug. “Okay,” He said quietly, “Okay. I should tell you, it’ll stop you worrying.”

“Yes.”

Jin took another deep breath as if steeling himself. “So…” He said, looking up, “… you’re right. I haven’t been acting myself. And it is because of Jungkook. When I realised he was pregnant it threw me… and I’ve been off balance ever since… because… well because something similar happened to me.”

Yoongi wasn’t sure what he’d been expecting Jin to say but that had not been it. But as surprised as he was he needed to say something. Jin was looking at him now, expecting a resp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter