Chapter Twenty Six

He Wouldn't
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It was late, the dorm was quiet and the only people still in the living room were Yoongi and Taehyung. It was the perfect opportunity for the older to talk to the younger about how Jungkook was feeling and he wasn’t about to waste it. So without any ceremony Yoongi reached for the television remote and hit the off button.

Taehyung blinked at the now black screen in front of him then turned to Yoongi, a look of betrayal on his face. “Hyung!” he protested. “I was watching that.”

“I need to talk to you.” Yoongi informed him. “And you’ve seen that movie more than once already.” He added before Taehyung could argue further.

And picking up on the seriousness of Yoongi’s tone, Taehyung didn’t protest. “Okay.” He said instead, turning to face him. “What do you need to talk to me about?”

“Jungkook.” Yoongi told him, never one to beat around the bush.

“Jungkook?” Taehyung asked, instantly looking concerned. “Why? Is he okay?”

“He’s fine.” Yoongi assured him, not sure where all the concern was coming from. Since speaking to Jungkook in the kitchen he’d been watching how the two of them interacted. And Jungkook had been right. Taehyung was talking to him again but he hadn’t once heard him the mention the baby. To an outsider listening in there would be no reason for them to think that Jungkook was even pregnant never mind that Taehyung was the father of his baby. “But he’d be better if you would actually talk to him.”

“I do talk to him.” Taehyung argued.

“I don’t mean talk to him about what he wants to eat or the drama you watched last night on TV.” Yoongi told him, fighting the urge to roll his eyes. It would only put Taehyung on the defensive and that wasn’t going to help. “I mean you need to talk to him about the big things. You need to let him know how you feel about the baby. You need to let him know you’re going to be there for him.”

“I am going to be there for him,” Taehyung told him. “I wouldn’t not be.”

“Well that’s good to hear.” Yoongi affirmed. Taehyung was just as responsible for what was happening as Jungkook was, it was about time he stepped up and took some responsibility for that. “But how is Jungkook meant to know that if you don’t tell him? I haven’t heard you mention the baby to him once since your visit to your parents.”

“I have…” Taehyung argued but there wasn’t much fight in his words. In face he looked a little guilty. “… I’ve mentioned it a few times.”

“When?” Yoongi demanded. He hadn’t heard him. And Jungkook had been pretty adamant that he hadn’t.

“Well.. I….” Taehyung stuttered, struggling to come up with an answer, “… I asked him if he was still feeling sick. And I asked him if there was anything he really liked to eat now.” He settled on at last.

“That doesn’t count.” Yoongi told him. From the look on Taehyung’s face he was sure he didn’t think it counted either. He had no idea why he was insisting on arguing with him when he knew he was in the wrong.  “Have you asked him what his plans are for the future? Have you talked about how you feel about being a father and how you’re going to fit in to those plans? Have you told him how your parents took the news, if they’re happy to accept the baby or not? He doesn’t know how you feel or if you’ll even want to be involved. It has him worried and he doesn’t need that. So what are you waiting for?”

“If I’m honest with you do you promise you won’t be mad at me?”

Taehyung looked nervous and it had Yoongi feeling nervous too. He’d just said he was going to be there for Jungkook, was he going to take it back? If he did there was no way he wasn’t going to be mad at him. “I promise I won’t yell at you.” He said, deciding to compromise. There was no point making promises he couldn’t keep.

“Okay.” Taehyung said and he took a deep breath. “So… I know I need to talk to him. But I haven’t yet… because… well I’m scared.”

Right. Okay. So that was better than a flat out ‘I don’t want the baby’ but it still wasn’t ideal. “Of course you’re scared.” Yoongi told him. Who wouldn’t be? People who’d planned for years to have children still got scared when it actually happened. “But do you think Jungkook isn’t? He’s just as scared as you are if not more so. It’s just he doesn’t have the luxury of ignoring what’s happening to fall back on.” It was pretty difficult to ignore the fact that you had  a baby on the way when you were the one that was pregnant.

“I know he’s scared.” Taehyung admitted. “But that’s not it. I’m not ignoring it. I just… I don’t want to promise him something and not be able to keep that promise. I can’t promise him I’ll be the support he needs or be a great dad to the baby. Because what if I’m not? What if I at being a parent?”

“Why would you at being a parent?” Yoongi asked him, a little surprised by his answer. “I’ve seen you with your siblings and your cousins. You love kids, you’re great with them.”

Taehyung shook his head, looking pained. “That’s not the same. Being a good brother  and good cousin, that’s not the same as being a good parent at all. There’s so much more to worry about when it’s your own kid. There are so many things you’re responsible for and so many decisions you need to make. What if I get that all wrong? What if I make things harder fo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter